1999 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 323 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

True Blue

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "Best riding vehicle I have been in."

Cons: "Strut noise early on in car's life. Had to replac"

"This car is the best car I have ever owned. Purchased it new and will keep it forever. Only have done routine maintenance with timing belt at 100K and strut bearing replacement at 80K. This is a car made for a comfortable ride and drives like dream. Cruises easily at 80 mph."

Hate to let it go

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Best price, value, performance, and dependability"

Cons: "thieves like them too much"

"I purchased my Avalon used in 1999 with 65000 miles already on it. It was my first non-American manufactured vehicle, but the price was so much better than comparable cars at the time. The car was not equipped with leather interior, but my wife got the dealer to install it. That actually gave the car a "showroom new" appearance, so we were quite pleased with our purchase. The rest is a near story-book like relationship - we almost lived happily ever after. I've now owned the car for 12 worry-free years. The only cost beyond regular maintenance (gas,oil tires, brakes) has been the replacement of the air conditioner evaporator in May 2011. I've never had a single problem other than that until two months ago. Someone broke in through the driver's door and tried to steal the car by jamming something into the ignition, damaging both. I was able to fix the ignition by re-aligning the tumblers with my key. I also fixed the door, but a few days later it failed to open and had to be repaired again - three more times. Finally, I took it to a dealer, but they want $2600 to fix it, and the car is only worth about $2000 according to KBB. So, I'm now looking to buy another, newer Avalon. I remember the ad campaign years ago for Toyota: "Oh what a feeling!" It featured proud owner's jumping up"

best car I have owned

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "comfort and reliability"

"I have driven over half of the US and never had any trouble, rides well in town and on the highway, is VERY comfortable inside, has been a wise investment"

best car ever own

By on Friday, November 25, 2011

Pros: "very nice ride"

Cons: "High miles"

"One of the best cars I owned also have a chevy malbui and the avlon can beat the chevy any day of the week."

I will buy another.

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, Spacious Interior, Low Maintenance, and will run until the wheels fall off"

Cons: "Grandpa styling"

"Lexus is my favorite brand. It is also outside of my budget. However, buying this Avalon used with barely 100,000 miles was a steal. It has transported me and so many others all across Metro Phoenix, an 80 mile north to south tip city, but also on several road trips to Vegas, LA, and San Diego. Very little maintenance is needed. I changed the battery, power steering pump and belts on the engine all for under $400. The car will run for more than another 100, 000 miles by just keeping it maintained."

smooth

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"i have had my 1996 avalon for 8 1/2 years. it has roughly 160000 miles on it now as the odometer has stopped working. i have had to replace the rack and pinion, i have replaced all struts and i had the antenna repaired (it stopped retracting). i gave it to my daughter 3 1/2 yrs ago and i just recently gave her my 1996 4runner. so i have the avalon once again. i plan on keeping it for maybe couple of yrs. local driving i get 22 mpg. i love driving it. it has one small rust spot starting to develope on passenger side rear wheel well. the headlight lens are very blurry and old looking, but work well. it isn't worth much, so i will keep for a while. it would be kinda expensive go in dept for another car and have to pay $3.10 a gallon for gas at the same time. i have spent roughly $1600.00 on repair and labor in the last 8 1/2 years on this car. hope this helps someone. lw"

By on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"I have owned this car for 10 years and it is the finest vechile I've ever owned. Not one problem even minor. Every thing except the battery & tires are original after114,000 miles. Top quality. No wonder Toyota is now the largest car manufacture in the world."

Very reliable.

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Comfortable, reliable, good mileage, owned since new. AC fan has problems, hard to fix."

I love my car!

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, good mileage, reliable, good ride."

Cons: "Smooth steering does not "feel" the road."

"Bought this car used at 2 yrs of age in 1997. I have always enjoyed driving, packing, and traveling in this car! The TRUNK is awsome! Load it up and it still gets 29 MPG on the road! I kept wondering when I was going to have to replace it, but in 19 years have only replaced the torque converter, front axles (cheaper than replacing just the CV boots now), a water pump and fuel pump (just last year), and then just general maintenance! Changed the oil religiously every 3K miles. I did have to replace the sub-woofers in the doors when one finally started rattling 2 years ago. Car is Quiet! Sound is great! Mileage is great! Still a good car if it has been maintained!"

Best car I've ever owned, hands down

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable and comfortable"

Cons: "Non"

"I'm shopping for another car and keep coming back to the Avalon. After considering about every other car out there, I've come to realize that the most bang for my buck, in the long run, is probably another Avalon. I'm considering upgrading a few years but I know I'll still be getting a great car. Amazingly, this car doesn't burn oil even though it has over 300,000 miles on it. The transmission seems excellent too. At 200 hp, it will outperform our 2005 Impala with 215 hp by quite a margin. The Impala speedometer goes to 120 mph since it is the smaller 3.4L 215 hp engine. The Avalon has a 3.0L 200 hp engine but the speedometer goes up to 140 mph. I believe the Avalon could do the 140 mph. The ECT button (electronic control transmission) when engaged delays shifting for sport performance. It will lay you back in your seat and really scoot when you need it to. I was tempted to teach a newer Mustang a lesson at a stop light one time but decided to be nice to him :) I really think I could have given him some trouble, even though he had the big bad V8 and a girl friend he needed to impress.... One other thing - this car is very, very comfortable. I'm 6'-2" tall. This car sits and rides so well! The back seat has plenty of room too! The final word on the mechanical aspect - This car is very quiet. I've tried to restart it on more than one occasion only to discover that it was already running. I soon learned that you had to listen real close to make sure it was running :)"