1999 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 311 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Great investment

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "Hold it's value after all these years."

"This is my everyday car I've had it for a loooong time and it has really been good to me! I would never part with this vehicle willingly. Great on gas, minimal maintenance, very reliable, and still a nice looking car! If I had to do it all over again, I would do it in a heartbeat!"

wonderfully dependable car!!

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

"So few issues over 17 years. Batteries and wiper blades. No serious problems. I will keep this car forever!"

Fabulous Car! Dependable handling!

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

"I would keep it but it was totaled when I was hit. I could not believe that I had absolutely no physical problems. The car is so well-made and still very spunky. It was just a very comfortable, tight-handling car which handled so well even in threatening conditions. I took regular care of it with an excellent mechanic and had no problem. The Catalytic system held up all this time."

Such reliable, much like.

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pros: "Price, reliability, spacious, quiet, smooth ride."

Cons: "Cup holders, a little bulky, gas mileage, a/c."

"I purchased this vehicle at an extremely low price (didn't break a grand, seriously it was a steal, blessed) and I couldn't have chosen a better car. It's reliable, comfortable, and gets me from A to B without worry. It has cosmetic damage (dents outside, wood grain interior broken in some places) but that's the doing of the previous owner. My cooling system is acting up, but I'm in the process of getting that taken care of. Any problems I've had have been simple fixes (neighborhood mechanics fix problems with ease and at an affordable cost) and the vehicle is not difficult to maintain. The car key/dongle/electronic key system went "out" but a change of batteries and inside cleaning helped. Changing the battery is the first step- taking it to a locksmith to be opened and cleaned from melting is a valuable note. My lock mechanism has gone out, meaning I can not use my car key to open the door. So keep the dongle cleaning in mind, could save you some time and money. Lock replacement is a bit pricey, but a locksmith can perform these repairs as well. (Saving those dollas to get this performed obviously.) All in all, I love my car and will treasure it for as long as it's kicking. I despise the cup holders though, I have spilled so many slushies it's ridiculous."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive; dependable, spacious, comfortable"

"No complaints whatsoever! I can't say that about any other car we have owned. Has held up well for 17 years!"

The best of the best, ever!!!

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Cons: "ZERO cons"

"234,000 miles and this car just keeps on going. It's as comfortable to drive and ride in, as it was the day I purchased it. Remains stylish, dependable and a real road warrior. Love this car and cannot think of one negative thing to say after 16 years. Great gas mileage which puts many new cars to shame."

i love this car

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

"old car done work to it keeps it new"

Pros: "Dependable, great mpg"

"I have 290,000 miles on this white 1997 toyota avalon xls and think I can get it to 500k miles:). Purchased from original owner at 150,000miles. This avalon just keeps on going. The last 4 years I have had to replace the timing belt, water pump, front wheel ball bearing, and shocks/struts. Paint still looks great. I put mobile 1 synthetic oil into it every 10,000 miles and 3 ounces of lucus in my fuel tank once a month with my fill up. I have a feeling my shocks/struts will need to get replaced soon. Im not sure of the quality I bought last 4 years. Also the remote (lock, trunk, unlock) dongle stopped working 3 years ago. Batteries were replaced and still nothing? I get about 24mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the hwy. Until the repair cost get higher than a car payment I will continue to drive it. Love this car."

VERY RELIABLE AUTOMOBILE

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, equipped, seats, cheap maintaining,"

Cons: "replaced head gaskets"

"Had the car since new in 1997. I still love it might be out to date now but a excellent transportation runs like a champ. My Avalon XLS is fully loaded everything original except did replace some minor things nothing like a warranty issue hasn't gone wrong with this car. This car drives brand new the first day I bought it on having comfortable seats and best ride ever. I highly recommend it after having excellent ownership in 17 years when purchased it new off the lot. She has plenty of power and lots of pep in engine/transmission it is important to take extremely care of those major electronics because car will last a long time on lots of miles."

Excellent vehicle

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

"I purchased this vehicle 2 years ago from the original owner who took very good care of it. It has been great and easy to maintain and has had no breakdowns. Fun to drive and very comfortable!"

RELIABE TOYOTA AVALON FROM 1999

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, dependable, excellent ride, quiet"

"This car was purchased new in 1999 and now its the most reliable car ever had it ranks #1 from a great reliability history 15 years in row. My Avalon drives better than most vehicles as rentals and relatives I've been riding in its smooth ride and great V6 engine gives perfect acceleration to the car at anytime. Car is comfortable on long trips traveling out of town or state I always have the oil changed every 3k miles with high synthetic oil due to high mileage on motor, (Tire rotations and changing fluids doing oil changes as well). I Love my car very comfortable affordable at its age and still gives the luxury every time driving my Avalon. Engine: Transmission both running strong without needed any major high expensive repairs even there isn't no rust or paint chips anywhere around car its 2 tone/green exterior factory paint I got to say looks excellent for the age it is. I be driving this car hard even running on surfaces as rocks and other debris still holding up well being a 15 year old car. Only things that was replaced on the Avalon were brakes, CVs, timing chain, all new belts, alternator, struts, batteries, water pump and fuel injector ''etc''. Avalon is quiet and being if not a luxury car the size it is this vehicle rides just like a Buick having all the best features in its class. I'm planning to drive it many more miles before time for a new car replaced but might last even longer as think probably give another 30 more years or so. Reliable Toyota Ever Owned or Drove."

I love my car!

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, good mileage, reliable, good ride."

Cons: "Smooth steering does not "feel" the road."

"Bought this car used at 2 yrs of age in 1997. I have always enjoyed driving, packing, and traveling in this car! The TRUNK is awsome! Load it up and it still gets 29 MPG on the road! I kept wondering when I was going to have to replace it, but in 19 years have only replaced the torque converter, front axles (cheaper than replacing just the CV boots now), a water pump and fuel pump (just last year), and then just general maintenance! Changed the oil religiously every 3K miles. I did have to replace the sub-woofers in the doors when one finally started rattling 2 years ago. Car is Quiet! Sound is great! Mileage is great! Still a good car if it has been maintained!"

high milage,but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "great ride"

Cons: "no mud-guards"

"l like this car,and just like that other owner,l think l also would be sad to see it sold."

Attractive Toyota Avalon -owned by elderly lady

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "Low mileage, new tires, passed emiss 2014,ex cond"

Cons: "19 yrs old"

"Only 130,00 miles Champaign color, no dents or scratches, seats and carpet in excellent condition, practically new tires, drives good, no mechanical defects, complete maintenance records, emission passed Feb 2014 Asking $2800 as is, may get mechanics review"

great gas mileage very reliable nice car

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "very reliable 29 mpg on fwy nice to drive"

Cons: "???"

"I bought a 1996 Avalon used it had about 140000 miles on it I've been driving it for years I put about 130000 miles on it since I've owned it and I'm very confidant that whoever i sell it to should be able to get at least another 1000000 miles out of it no problem"

Most reliable and low maintenance car I ever owned

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "reliable, low maintenance, quality, rust-proof"

Cons: "2 dinky cup holders, easily knocking engine"

"This car has lasted me a long time. And it will continue to run past 200K if oil is changed on time and it is not raced. The car is very comfortable to drive in, I would take it for a ride instead of a Lexus SUV I own. The interior design is falls apart with age, but everything remains functional. For example, the leather seats wear out, but the dash remains all workable. The seats still function, and windows. All the service I did on it was replace water pump and timing belt to make it last. Those are the 2 things that can make or break this car. Some Avalons we owned, we did not replace oil on time, or it was low on oil, the engine starts knocking and then the engine is a gonner. So important to check the oil level occasionally, or suffer having to replace the engine. The oil pressure in the car is higher than others at idle, therefore, overall the oil in this car is high pressures to make sure the engine runs lubricated all over, that is what makes it last long. If water pump and timing belt aren't replaced after 100K then I don't recommend buying the car. My father owns only these models of cars (1995-1996) are the best because they don't rust, EVER. We use synthetic oil and it runs like a clock. The paint wears off with time on 1997-1998 more than 1995-1996. Other maintenance work that was done was usual replacement of oil, filter, air filter, tires, brakes, pads... Overall a very low maintenance and reliable car."

Very impressed - best car I ever owned.

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "190hp engine - terrific - at best on the highway."

Cons: "Left rear power window, power seats problem >18 yr"

"Replaced several water pumps, CVC boot front axle. Drove the car overseas and all over the United States. I love this car. Best $25000 I ever spent on an automobile."

The best and first car I've ever owned!!!!

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

"I bought my Avalon about 4 years ago cash for about 1,200. It's the best car I could have ever chosen as my first, it drives very smooth it is very spacious and for a V6 I can definitely consider it a gas saver. I had to replace the water pump and the timing belt once but that's pretty much it . After four years of depending on this car I decided to finally upgrade but it's very hard to let go since I'm afraid of selling it and buying a car that won't compare or be as reliable as this one. I think I'm gonna cry when I see my baby go."

Best car I've ever owned, hands down

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable and comfortable"

Cons: "Non"

"I'm shopping for another car and keep coming back to the Avalon. After considering about every other car out there, I've come to realize that the most bang for my buck, in the long run, is probably another Avalon. I'm considering upgrading a few years but I know I'll still be getting a great car. Amazingly, this car doesn't burn oil even though it has over 300,000 miles on it. The transmission seems excellent too. At 200 hp, it will outperform our 2005 Impala with 215 hp by quite a margin. The Impala speedometer goes to 120 mph since it is the smaller 3.4L 215 hp engine. The Avalon has a 3.0L 200 hp engine but the speedometer goes up to 140 mph. I believe the Avalon could do the 140 mph. The ECT button (electronic control transmission) when engaged delays shifting for sport performance. It will lay you back in your seat and really scoot when you need it to. I was tempted to teach a newer Mustang a lesson at a stop light one time but decided to be nice to him :) I really think I could have given him some trouble, even though he had the big bad V8 and a girl friend he needed to impress.... One other thing - this car is very, very comfortable. I'm 6'-2" tall. This car sits and rides so well! The back seat has plenty of room too! The final word on the mechanical aspect - This car is very quiet. I've tried to restart it on more than one occasion only to discover that it was already running. I soon learned that you had to listen real close to make sure it was running :)"

By far the best car I have ever owned

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Powerful,spacious,large trunk"

"I planned to keep this car until I retired when it would have been 18yrs old. Unfortunately, my Avalon was run into in a parking lot this weekend and probably totaled. Then I was going to buy a new Avalon"

Just keeps going, comfortable, reliable, great

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "A good reliable vehicle that is economical to own"

Cons: "no button to unlock trunk by driver, need key"

"Owned car for 8 years, bought used in 2005 and put 90000 on it with very few repairs: just batteries, tires, planned replacement of timing belt, and steering rack. No liquid leaks. No breakdowns. It rides the highway nice, 31-32 mpg and a large tank gives long cruising between fill-ups. Auto climate control works well. A good reliable vehicle that is economical to insure."

outstanding...will buy another avalon to replace

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"BEST CAR I EVER OWNED"

loving it for over 265,000 miles - best car ever

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable and reliable"

Cons: "NONE"

"When, as, if it dies, I'm afraid I'll never get another car this good."