1998 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 327 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Best car I've ever owned, hands down

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable and comfortable"

Cons: "Non"

"I'm shopping for another car and keep coming back to the Avalon. After considering about every other car out there, I've come to realize that the most bang for my buck, in the long run, is probably another Avalon. I'm considering upgrading a few years but I know I'll still be getting a great car. Amazingly, this car doesn't burn oil even though it has over 300,000 miles on it. The transmission seems excellent too. At 200 hp, it will outperform our 2005 Impala with 215 hp by quite a margin. The Impala speedometer goes to 120 mph since it is the smaller 3.4L 215 hp engine. The Avalon has a 3.0L 200 hp engine but the speedometer goes up to 140 mph. I believe the Avalon could do the 140 mph. The ECT button (electronic control transmission) when engaged delays shifting for sport performance. It will lay you back in your seat and really scoot when you need it to. I was tempted to teach a newer Mustang a lesson at a stop light one time but decided to be nice to him :) I really think I could have given him some trouble, even though he had the big bad V8 and a girl friend he needed to impress.... One other thing - this car is very, very comfortable. I'm 6'-2" tall. This car sits and rides so well! The back seat has plenty of room too! The final word on the mechanical aspect - This car is very quiet. I've tried to restart it on more than one occasion only to discover that it was already running. I soon learned that you had to listen real close to make sure it was running :)"

True Blue

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "Best riding vehicle I have been in."

Cons: "Strut noise early on in car's life. Had to replac"

"This car is the best car I have ever owned. Purchased it new and will keep it forever. Only have done routine maintenance with timing belt at 100K and strut bearing replacement at 80K. This is a car made for a comfortable ride and drives like dream. Cruises easily at 80 mph."

Hate to let it go

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Best price, value, performance, and dependability"

Cons: "thieves like them too much"

"I purchased my Avalon used in 1999 with 65000 miles already on it. It was my first non-American manufactured vehicle, but the price was so much better than comparable cars at the time. The car was not equipped with leather interior, but my wife got the dealer to install it. That actually gave the car a "showroom new" appearance, so we were quite pleased with our purchase. The rest is a near story-book like relationship - we almost lived happily ever after. I've now owned the car for 12 worry-free years. The only cost beyond regular maintenance (gas,oil tires, brakes) has been the replacement of the air conditioner evaporator in May 2011. I've never had a single problem other than that until two months ago. Someone broke in through the driver's door and tried to steal the car by jamming something into the ignition, damaging both. I was able to fix the ignition by re-aligning the tumblers with my key. I also fixed the door, but a few days later it failed to open and had to be repaired again - three more times. Finally, I took it to a dealer, but they want $2600 to fix it, and the car is only worth about $2000 according to KBB. So, I'm now looking to buy another, newer Avalon. I remember the ad campaign years ago for Toyota: "Oh what a feeling!" It featured proud owner's jumping up"

best car ever own

By on Friday, November 25, 2011

Pros: "very nice ride"

Cons: "High miles"

"One of the best cars I owned also have a chevy malbui and the avlon can beat the chevy any day of the week."

Solid Quality Car

By on Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"Received a hand-me down 97 Avalon from my parents when they upgraded to an 2008. I am so impressed with the quality and staying power. I have 349K miles on the car and just drove it for a 1500 mile roadtrip at 30 mpg highway. Probably paid for the new battery compared to my old gas guzzler. Comfortable ride...plenty of power...great vehicle to buy."