1998 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 304 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Most reliable and low maintenance car I ever owned

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "reliable, low maintenance, quality, rust-proof"

Cons: "2 dinky cup holders, easily knocking engine"

"This car has lasted me a long time. And it will continue to run past 200K if oil is changed on time and it is not raced. The car is very comfortable to drive in, I would take it for a ride instead of a Lexus SUV I own. The interior design is falls apart with age, but everything remains functional. For example, the leather seats wear out, but the dash remains all workable. The seats still function, and windows. All the service I did on it was replace water pump and timing belt to make it last. Those are the 2 things that can make or break this car. Some Avalons we owned, we did not replace oil on time, or it was low on oil, the engine starts knocking and then the engine is a gonner. So important to check the oil level occasionally, or suffer having to replace the engine. The oil pressure in the car is higher than others at idle, therefore, overall the oil in this car is high pressures to make sure the engine runs lubricated all over, that is what makes it last long. If water pump and timing belt aren't replaced after 100K then I don't recommend buying the car. My father owns only these models of cars (1995-1996) are the best because they don't rust, EVER. We use synthetic oil and it runs like a clock. The paint wears off with time on 1997-1998 more than 1995-1996. Other maintenance work that was done was usual replacement of oil, filter, air filter, tires, brakes, pads... Overall a very low maintenance and reliable car."

Very impressed - best car I ever owned.

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "190hp engine - terrific - at best on the highway."

Cons: "Left rear power window, power seats problem >18 yr"

"Replaced several water pumps, CVC boot front axle. Drove the car overseas and all over the United States. I love this car. Best $25000 I ever spent on an automobile."

The best and first car I've ever owned!!!!

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

"I bought my Avalon about 4 years ago cash for about 1,200. It's the best car I could have ever chosen as my first, it drives very smooth it is very spacious and for a V6 I can definitely consider it a gas saver. I had to replace the water pump and the timing belt once but that's pretty much it . After four years of depending on this car I decided to finally upgrade but it's very hard to let go since I'm afraid of selling it and buying a car that won't compare or be as reliable as this one. I think I'm gonna cry when I see my baby go."

Best car I've ever owned, hands down

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable and comfortable"

Cons: "Non"

"I'm shopping for another car and keep coming back to the Avalon. After considering about every other car out there, I've come to realize that the most bang for my buck, in the long run, is probably another Avalon. I'm considering upgrading a few years but I know I'll still be getting a great car. Amazingly, this car doesn't burn oil even though it has over 300,000 miles on it. The transmission seems excellent too. At 200 hp, it will outperform our 2005 Impala with 215 hp by quite a margin. The Impala speedometer goes to 120 mph since it is the smaller 3.4L 215 hp engine. The Avalon has a 3.0L 200 hp engine but the speedometer goes up to 140 mph. I believe the Avalon could do the 140 mph. The ECT button (electronic control transmission) when engaged delays shifting for sport performance. It will lay you back in your seat and really scoot when you need it to. I was tempted to teach a newer Mustang a lesson at a stop light one time but decided to be nice to him :) I really think I could have given him some trouble, even though he had the big bad V8 and a girl friend he needed to impress.... One other thing - this car is very, very comfortable. I'm 6'-2" tall. This car sits and rides so well! The back seat has plenty of room too! The final word on the mechanical aspect - This car is very quiet. I've tried to restart it on more than one occasion only to discover that it was already running. I soon learned that you had to listen real close to make sure it was running :)"

By far the best car I have ever owned

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Powerful,spacious,large trunk"

"I planned to keep this car until I retired when it would have been 18yrs old. Unfortunately, my Avalon was run into in a parking lot this weekend and probably totaled. Then I was going to buy a new Avalon"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25