1998 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 321 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Exceptional Vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"I bought this Avalon with a 110,000 miles on it and I now have over 215,000 miles on it. It still rides, performs and is just a very confortable car, far better than most new cars. I'm in the car business and I kinda know what I am talking about. If all cars were as good as this Avalon, the the car business would be in serious trouble. I am very grateful that they are not."

Buying another one

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"Terrific value. Friends can't believe how much leg room front & back. Smooth, quiet ride. Classy interior. 140,000 miles and rides like new. Buying another one & will give this one to the kids."

Love this car

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"Bought a 1998 Avalon used from a private party 3 years ago with about 80,000 on it. Have put on almost another 90,000 and have loved it every time I've driven it. Styling is a bit outdated and handling is a little mushy. Back end struts are a bit weak so when my 3 teenage boys are back there it rides low. Very few mechanical problems, very comfortable for long drives. Fuel economy is pretty good, not great. Easy to use controls, quality interior, plenty of power, great AC and stereo."

Most reliable and low maintenance car I ever owned

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "reliable, low maintenance, quality, rust-proof"

Cons: "2 dinky cup holders, easily knocking engine"

"This car has lasted me a long time. And it will continue to run past 200K if oil is changed on time and it is not raced. The car is very comfortable to drive in, I would take it for a ride instead of a Lexus SUV I own. The interior design is falls apart with age, but everything remains functional. For example, the leather seats wear out, but the dash remains all workable. The seats still function, and windows. All the service I did on it was replace water pump and timing belt to make it last. Those are the 2 things that can make or break this car. Some Avalons we owned, we did not replace oil on time, or it was low on oil, the engine starts knocking and then the engine is a gonner. So important to check the oil level occasionally, or suffer having to replace the engine. The oil pressure in the car is higher than others at idle, therefore, overall the oil in this car is high pressures to make sure the engine runs lubricated all over, that is what makes it last long. If water pump and timing belt aren't replaced after 100K then I don't recommend buying the car. My father owns only these models of cars (1995-1996) are the best because they don't rust, EVER. We use synthetic oil and it runs like a clock. The paint wears off with time on 1997-1998 more than 1995-1996. Other maintenance work that was done was usual replacement of oil, filter, air filter, tires, brakes, pads... Overall a very low maintenance and reliable car."

True Blue

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "Best riding vehicle I have been in."

Cons: "Strut noise early on in car's life. Had to replac"

"This car is the best car I have ever owned. Purchased it new and will keep it forever. Only have done routine maintenance with timing belt at 100K and strut bearing replacement at 80K. This is a car made for a comfortable ride and drives like dream. Cruises easily at 80 mph."

Hate to let it go

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Best price, value, performance, and dependability"

Cons: "thieves like them too much"

"I purchased my Avalon used in 1999 with 65000 miles already on it. It was my first non-American manufactured vehicle, but the price was so much better than comparable cars at the time. The car was not equipped with leather interior, but my wife got the dealer to install it. That actually gave the car a "showroom new" appearance, so we were quite pleased with our purchase. The rest is a near story-book like relationship - we almost lived happily ever after. I've now owned the car for 12 worry-free years. The only cost beyond regular maintenance (gas,oil tires, brakes) has been the replacement of the air conditioner evaporator in May 2011. I've never had a single problem other than that until two months ago. Someone broke in through the driver's door and tried to steal the car by jamming something into the ignition, damaging both. I was able to fix the ignition by re-aligning the tumblers with my key. I also fixed the door, but a few days later it failed to open and had to be repaired again - three more times. Finally, I took it to a dealer, but they want $2600 to fix it, and the car is only worth about $2000 according to KBB. So, I'm now looking to buy another, newer Avalon. I remember the ad campaign years ago for Toyota: "Oh what a feeling!" It featured proud owner's jumping up"

best car I have owned

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "comfort and reliability"

"I have driven over half of the US and never had any trouble, rides well in town and on the highway, is VERY comfortable inside, has been a wise investment"

best car ever own

By on Friday, November 25, 2011

Pros: "very nice ride"

Cons: "High miles"

"One of the best cars I owned also have a chevy malbui and the avlon can beat the chevy any day of the week."

I will buy another.

By on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, Spacious Interior, Low Maintenance, and will run until the wheels fall off"

Cons: "Grandpa styling"

"Lexus is my favorite brand. It is also outside of my budget. However, buying this Avalon used with barely 100,000 miles was a steal. It has transported me and so many others all across Metro Phoenix, an 80 mile north to south tip city, but also on several road trips to Vegas, LA, and San Diego. Very little maintenance is needed. I changed the battery, power steering pump and belts on the engine all for under $400. The car will run for more than another 100, 000 miles by just keeping it maintained."

smooth

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"i have had my 1996 avalon for 8 1/2 years. it has roughly 160000 miles on it now as the odometer has stopped working. i have had to replace the rack and pinion, i have replaced all struts and i had the antenna repaired (it stopped retracting). i gave it to my daughter 3 1/2 yrs ago and i just recently gave her my 1996 4runner. so i have the avalon once again. i plan on keeping it for maybe couple of yrs. local driving i get 22 mpg. i love driving it. it has one small rust spot starting to develope on passenger side rear wheel well. the headlight lens are very blurry and old looking, but work well. it isn't worth much, so i will keep for a while. it would be kinda expensive go in dept for another car and have to pay $3.10 a gallon for gas at the same time. i have spent roughly $1600.00 on repair and labor in the last 8 1/2 years on this car. hope this helps someone. lw"