1998 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 323 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

This is a GREAT, extremely reliable car

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "Reliabilty, low maintenance cost, comfort, safety."

Cons: "None - love it!"

"I bought a used '98 Toyota Avalon XLS in 2005 with 70,000 miles on it. Eight years later it has 262,000 miles and the engine in still running beautifully. I finally needed to replace the transmission at about 240,000 miles, but who can complain about that? I was looking for a used car for my teen-aged daughter and found another '98 Avalon XLS with only 58,000 miles on it and bought it - she is thrilled with the car. It's comfortable, safe and reliable, and with just routine maintenance it appears it will go forever. I am so impressed that I can't recommend this car highly enough."

VERY RELIABLE AUTOMOBILE

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, equipped, seats, cheap maintaining,"

Cons: "replaced head gaskets"

"Had the car since new in 1997. I still love it might be out to date now but a excellent transportation runs like a champ. My Avalon XLS is fully loaded everything original except did replace some minor things nothing like a warranty issue hasn't gone wrong with this car. This car drives brand new the first day I bought it on having comfortable seats and best ride ever. I highly recommend it after having excellent ownership in 17 years when purchased it new off the lot. She has plenty of power and lots of pep in engine/transmission it is important to take extremely care of those major electronics because car will last a long time on lots of miles."

Overall an amazingly designed vehicle.

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, price, resale value, great investment"

Cons: "Minor-Exterior appearance,"

"Its not a Lexus but it sure feels like it, which makes sense because its designs and mechanics are very similar if not exact. For its price, the consumer is getting outstanding reliability, great fuel efficiency (considering the size of the family car, and size of the engine), a comfortable smooth ride, in a classy spacious interior, equipped with an award winning engine. It's outdoor appearance it's deceiving, but the xls provides a leather, wood trim, and electrical everything including a moonroof which comes in handy every time."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, spacious"

"I bought this car used in 2005 with 87,000 miles on it and have have run the mileage up to 205,000 with no major problems. I've driven it from Los Angeles to Toronto and back and it ran perfectly. It is extremely reliable and very comfortable. I feel like I'm in a luxury car and enjoy driving it every day. I hope I'm as happy with my next car. MPG is not too bad at 21 for a V6."

i love this car

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Reason: time for mom to get a newer car

Pros: "reliable, huge trunk, great gas mileage, holds 5 adults comfortably"

"This has been the most worry free, reliable, useful, good looking car i have ever owned. I (and my teenagers) have put 100,000 miles on it in the last 8 years. I bought it used with low miles knowing it would carry me and my kids safely and without any problems. The trunk is HUGE, roomy back seat (kids called it a limo). It has been worth every penny and more! It still has much life left in it- and with good conscience, i will sell it to a friend- can't do that with many cars! The mileage has been 22/28 on regular gas with synthetic oil changes every 5000 miles."

By on Wednesday, November 04, 2009

"Great Car! I was given this car as a graduation present with 90K miles in 2002. Not that enthusiastic at first but I now have 235,000 miles and it's going strong. Minor work done when it turned 200k. Water pump, timing belt, struts, gaskets, hoses. about $1200 in parts and labor. Best car ever. Drives like a caddy, great car for road trips. California to DC 6 times. Great car!!!"

Exceptional Vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"I bought this Avalon with a 110,000 miles on it and I now have over 215,000 miles on it. It still rides, performs and is just a very confortable car, far better than most new cars. I'm in the car business and I kinda know what I am talking about. If all cars were as good as this Avalon, the the car business would be in serious trouble. I am very grateful that they are not."

Buying another one

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"Terrific value. Friends can't believe how much leg room front & back. Smooth, quiet ride. Classy interior. 140,000 miles and rides like new. Buying another one & will give this one to the kids."

Love this car

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"Bought a 1998 Avalon used from a private party 3 years ago with about 80,000 on it. Have put on almost another 90,000 and have loved it every time I've driven it. Styling is a bit outdated and handling is a little mushy. Back end struts are a bit weak so when my 3 teenage boys are back there it rides low. Very few mechanical problems, very comfortable for long drives. Fuel economy is pretty good, not great. Easy to use controls, quality interior, plenty of power, great AC and stereo."

Most reliable and low maintenance car I ever owned

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "reliable, low maintenance, quality, rust-proof"

Cons: "2 dinky cup holders, easily knocking engine"

"This car has lasted me a long time. And it will continue to run past 200K if oil is changed on time and it is not raced. The car is very comfortable to drive in, I would take it for a ride instead of a Lexus SUV I own. The interior design is falls apart with age, but everything remains functional. For example, the leather seats wear out, but the dash remains all workable. The seats still function, and windows. All the service I did on it was replace water pump and timing belt to make it last. Those are the 2 things that can make or break this car. Some Avalons we owned, we did not replace oil on time, or it was low on oil, the engine starts knocking and then the engine is a gonner. So important to check the oil level occasionally, or suffer having to replace the engine. The oil pressure in the car is higher than others at idle, therefore, overall the oil in this car is high pressures to make sure the engine runs lubricated all over, that is what makes it last long. If water pump and timing belt aren't replaced after 100K then I don't recommend buying the car. My father owns only these models of cars (1995-1996) are the best because they don't rust, EVER. We use synthetic oil and it runs like a clock. The paint wears off with time on 1997-1998 more than 1995-1996. Other maintenance work that was done was usual replacement of oil, filter, air filter, tires, brakes, pads... Overall a very low maintenance and reliable car."