1996 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 325 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

best car ever own

By on Friday, November 25, 2011

Pros: "very nice ride"

Cons: "High miles"

"One of the best cars I owned also have a chevy malbui and the avlon can beat the chevy any day of the week."

smooth

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"i have had my 1996 avalon for 8 1/2 years. it has roughly 160000 miles on it now as the odometer has stopped working. i have had to replace the rack and pinion, i have replaced all struts and i had the antenna repaired (it stopped retracting). i gave it to my daughter 3 1/2 yrs ago and i just recently gave her my 1996 4runner. so i have the avalon once again. i plan on keeping it for maybe couple of yrs. local driving i get 22 mpg. i love driving it. it has one small rust spot starting to develope on passenger side rear wheel well. the headlight lens are very blurry and old looking, but work well. it isn't worth much, so i will keep for a while. it would be kinda expensive go in dept for another car and have to pay $3.10 a gallon for gas at the same time. i have spent roughly $1600.00 on repair and labor in the last 8 1/2 years on this car. hope this helps someone. lw"

By on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"I have owned this car for 10 years and it is the finest vechile I've ever owned. Not one problem even minor. Every thing except the battery & tires are original after114,000 miles. Top quality. No wonder Toyota is now the largest car manufacture in the world."

I love my car!

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, good mileage, reliable, good ride."

Cons: "Smooth steering does not "feel" the road."

"Bought this car used at 2 yrs of age in 1997. I have always enjoyed driving, packing, and traveling in this car! The TRUNK is awsome! Load it up and it still gets 29 MPG on the road! I kept wondering when I was going to have to replace it, but in 19 years have only replaced the torque converter, front axles (cheaper than replacing just the CV boots now), a water pump and fuel pump (just last year), and then just general maintenance! Changed the oil religiously every 3K miles. I did have to replace the sub-woofers in the doors when one finally started rattling 2 years ago. Car is Quiet! Sound is great! Mileage is great! Still a good car if it has been maintained!"

Best car I've ever owned, hands down

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable and comfortable"

Cons: "Non"

"I'm shopping for another car and keep coming back to the Avalon. After considering about every other car out there, I've come to realize that the most bang for my buck, in the long run, is probably another Avalon. I'm considering upgrading a few years but I know I'll still be getting a great car. Amazingly, this car doesn't burn oil even though it has over 300,000 miles on it. The transmission seems excellent too. At 200 hp, it will outperform our 2005 Impala with 215 hp by quite a margin. The Impala speedometer goes to 120 mph since it is the smaller 3.4L 215 hp engine. The Avalon has a 3.0L 200 hp engine but the speedometer goes up to 140 mph. I believe the Avalon could do the 140 mph. The ECT button (electronic control transmission) when engaged delays shifting for sport performance. It will lay you back in your seat and really scoot when you need it to. I was tempted to teach a newer Mustang a lesson at a stop light one time but decided to be nice to him :) I really think I could have given him some trouble, even though he had the big bad V8 and a girl friend he needed to impress.... One other thing - this car is very, very comfortable. I'm 6'-2" tall. This car sits and rides so well! The back seat has plenty of room too! The final word on the mechanical aspect - This car is very quiet. I've tried to restart it on more than one occasion only to discover that it was already running. I soon learned that you had to listen real close to make sure it was running :)"