2014 Toyota 4Runner

Based on 193 Ratings for the 2010 - 2016 models.

The best Tonka SUV on the road!

By on Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pros: "Sips gas, ride, low up keep, performance, style"

Cons: "Spongy brakes, no ventilated seats, antenna"

"After owning two Lexus ES models, this was a great decision for our family. The low cost maintenance, ride, features, and great fuel economy for its size were worth the switch. We have the Limited in Shoreline blue pearl with the blonde interior, which is a great combination. My one complaints are the spongy brakes, lack of ventilated seats and the ugly antenna, which I replaced with a carbon fiber "stubby" unit. We get so many compliments on the vehicle. We have the remote starter, which is great, but I wish the vehicle would continue to run after you enter in the vehicle. We have the push starter, but when you touch the door handle the vehicle shuts off, I understand Toyota's logic, but is annoying. I wish it had more driver specific settings like the GM products, such as memory seats/mirror, individual tire pressure monitors, and expanded S.O.S. Hard to find replacement 20" tires since there are only to manufactures!!! But overall it is a GREAT mode of transportation!!!"

They don't come any better than a 4Runner!!

By on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pros: "Strong and dependable and worth every dollar!"

Cons: "Externally operated gas access door."

"This is my second 4Runner (I had the first one for 13 years!) and I love this one also. It is comfortable, a joy to drive, and feels stong and dependable (Duh, it IS a Toyota!)I work them very hard in the woods, pulling a heavy trailer, and carrying loads for friends whose vehicles won't hold the items. It has operated flawlessly. The only thing I miss that my old one had is an internal gas access door. I do not like the gas access door being unlockable. Other than that, it is an investment that anyone who can afford one should consider."

My second 5th generation 4Runner

By on Thursday, April 14, 2016

Pros: "Ruggedness, power, comfort, convenience"

Cons: "5 speed (should have 6 speed at a minimum."

"I purchased a 2010 4Runner when the new 5th generation was introduced. It was an SR5 with part-time 4WD. While I absolutely loved everything about the vehicle, my wife drove it more than I and she did not like having to stop to shift it into 4WD when the roads were snowy/icy. We traded it in after two years of ownership. Fast-forward to 2015 and while looking for a Toyota Sequoia, we saw the 4Runner Limited sitting on the dealer lot and drove off with it a few hours later. This vehicle is not for everyone, so if you're looking to purchase a 4Runner, here are some helpful tips: This is a truck. It's very high off the ground and can be hard to enter/exit (small children need help getting in and out). If you have back problems, getting in can be difficult. This is not an issue for me, but wanted you to be aware. Regarding the 4Runner being a truck, it's body on frame design. This means you don't have to worry about shaking things loose when driving over bumpy roads or terrain. It's solid, and durable. Unlike cross-over or uni-body SUVs, you never have to worry about breaking something loose if you hit a bump. It drives like a truck, feels like a truck, and sits high off the ground like a truck. If you don't like trucks, don't buy the 4Runner. If you want a vehicle that feels powerful with a slight push of the accelerator, you may be disappointed. However, the 4Runner has great power (270 HP 278 lbs torque). I've heard from most people who take one for a test drive that they're not happy with the power. However, the 4Runner has Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVTI) and is meant to feel less powerful at times. It provides less power when you don't need power, and an extremely high amount of power when you do need it. When you need power, it's very simple. You just press down on the pedal more. The pickup in this vehicle is amazing, and the engine sounds like a powerful sports car. I haven't met anyone who has driven this vehicle for a good amount of time talk badly about the power. If gas mileage is a top priority for you, you'll be disappointed. I average about 16 MPG in mixed driving (around 18-20 when driving on highways). You'll make frequent stops at the gas station. The 4WD system can take you anywhere. Face it, the 4Runner is a beast in the snow. It can go anywhere, any time. My favorite thing to do is stopping the middle of a hill in the snow, and then flooring it to go up the hill. Visibility is amazing when sitting in the cockpit. You have a great view of the road and everything around you. Very few blind spots, and the sunroof is extremely large (trust me, you'll want a sunroof in this vehicle). One of my favorite things about the 4Runner is the power rear window. Even though it's not recommended due to fumes, I love driving around on a hot summer day with the sunroof open, and all five windows rolled down. It's the closest thing you can get to having a convertible, and I enjoy every minute of it. I hope these tips help."

Excellent Vehicle - Tough to compare to others

By on Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable, very capable & reliable"

Cons: "No remote fuel filler latch. Only 5 gears."

"I replaced a Lexus IS350 with this so performance & handling are vastly different. The 4Runner will GO if you push it but it's no speed demon - but that's not what it's for. I find that it can get squirrelly when you go much above 80 - particularly on windy days. That aside I am very pleased with driving characteristics. Decent turning radius, smooth ride. Handles potholes a lot better that the old IS did. The ability to flip into 4wd is what I wanted and this baby does not disappoint. It will go nearly anywhere. I see a significant improvement in MPG at 75mph vs 80mph. Would love to have one more gear but the 5 are very well spaced & perform very well. Some of the interior could use softer touch materials but I bought it knowing about this so I'll end that whine here. Like many others I find no viable excuse for the absence of a remote fuel door release. Roomy, comfortable, very capable & outstanding reliability. Will keep this baby for a long time."

Awesome vehicle and value for the dollar

By on Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pros: "Excellent build and quality"

Cons: "No locking fuel filler"

"I own a 2013 limited for 1mo+ with 800 flawless miles, and I also still own a 2003 toyota 4R SR5 with 125+k flawless miles. I would have bought it in 2010, but they had took away the auto rear locking hatch and remote locking fuel filler door, so i waited for them to bring it back but they haven't. However, my wife wanted it, so i traded my '08 TSB & recall ridden and mechanically flawed pontiac and kept her 2003 Toyota 4R SR5 which i plan to own for another 5 years at least. And yes, it is, that sound and rock solid still. But upon close examination of the 2013 Toyota 4R, I came to find out the auto-locking rear hatch isn't really needed at all on the new model as it closes with the same ease as the previous. in fact, the previous one has been a hinderance because a couple ppl have slammed it in closing it, unawares that it is auto-self locking. Lucky for us it is Toyota build quility, and nothing at all has happened as a result. As for the lack of a locking fuel door, I installed a stant locking gas cap with no adverse or service engine light issues so far whatsoever. But yes, they need to bring the old locking fuel filler door back for convenience sake. I also though the quality of the plastic on the interior of the new one was of inferior quality, until I brought it home and compared it with the old one, side by side. Happy to say they both appear to have the same lvl of quality except for the glove box door, which is substantially lighter than the old one. It is however excellent quality, and a much better fit and finish than the vehicle i traded it for, and on which I had to replace the globe box lock that fell apart when it was less than a year of ownership. The factory paint job is Toyota flawless quality, but the dealer prep was lacking, as I had tar over-spray in the driver's bottom rocker panel that they didn't remove after washing. The factory does apply special paint protection treatment to the bottom of vehicle to protect against chips and stones that looks like a defect or paint ripples, but trust me it is not, and i have that on my 10 year old 4R as well. I must say that after having spent 30+ years in the automotive service industry, and owning many different type & brands of vehicles, the new Toyota 4R still gets my nod of approval for mechanical and workmanship excellence."