2014 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $29,813 - $30,702.

10/6.8

Based on 167 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

2012 Trail Edition - my dream vehicle!

By on Sunday, March 01, 2015

Pros: "4WD, black bumpers, cargo deck"

Cons: "sunglass holder?"

"I bought the Trail edition in excellent used condition. I've owned a Sequoia, Highlander, Camry, and a Corolla, but this is just right for my family of four, including two teenagers. The Sequoia was just too large for my day to day. 4WD works well during the Michigan snow storms and traveling through the wooded trails to prepare for a hike. Crawl control and the unique settings for mud, rock, etc. are a bonus. Water resistant seats are perfect for an outdoorsy lifestyle and am enjoying the XM satellite radio is great with the sound system. I prefer the black bumpers and exterior black trim; can't stand all the scratches on a painted bumper. The body looks cool - I receive compliments frequently. Gas mileage is not ideal around town, but I can get 22/23 driving around 60mph. The body on frame feels safe and sturdy with not a lot of road or wind noise - just a slight hum from the tires. Plenty of cargo room, especially when the back seats are folded. The party mode is pretty cool for tailgating, and the slide out cargo deck is pretty useful. I pull out the deck, place the heavy items on it, then slide into the truck. Also I sit on the slide out to put on my boots for skiing. Power seats are perfect to adjust to each driver. The Trail edition is great looking without all that chrome, running boards not required even though I'm only 5'8" - not a big deal, and the soft touch interior surfaces for elbows are comfortable. 4.0 L is plenty of power for me. Plenty of cup holders - great rear roll down window for air flow. Fantastic vehicle for outdoorsy type family who need to get off-road and beat around the town. I would buy another Trail Edition all over again."

Really really nice dependable vehicle.

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

"I love this vehicle, will probably buy another before I'm done."

Avid Off Road Explorer South Mt. Baker

By on Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive and a real off road SUV!"

Cons: "Gas mileage."

"I've had this vehicle for a year and out of 18 camping trips and day hikes I can say wow...lots of room for storage for four folks as well as carry-in fire wood. I have the KDSS and really like the ride and off-road prowess. Sound system is the best I've ever had. Navigation accurate. Seats are sooo nice!"

WE LOVE THIS VEHICLE

By on Sunday, January 18, 2015

Pros: "Just a great all around dependible vehicle"

Cons: "No storage under the floor in back"

"I have a 2014 Limited and traded in a 2010 Subaru Outback Limited on it. We needed more towing power and decided on the 4runner Limited. I live in eastern Minnesota and had to take 4 trips out to SD with it. I found out that if I drove it between 60-63 MPH I will get almost 24 MPG in 0 deg. temp. Pretty much ideal driving conditions flat roads with not too much stopping. I wish it had storage under the floor in the back and maybe a power lift gate. The vehicle has a nice but firmer ride and is pretty quiet inside. The seats are comfortable but pretty high to get into especially for a shorter person, Running boards help! Overall we really like this vehicle and we would buy another one. This one will surely outlast my wife and I so this one just might be the only and last one."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Monday, January 12, 2015

Pros: "Great price and fun to drive!!"

Cons: "Would like a little better gas mileage"

"Recently purchased to travel back and forth to work appoximately 120 miles per day, very comfortable also affords me peace of mind in bad weather conditions."

Realiable

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pros: "More Spacious than our 2007 4runner"

Cons: "needs More power ports up front"

"It is bigger than our 2007 4runner and still gets 21mpg. Haven't had a single problem with it in 2 years. Power is good, brakes a little touchy but you get use to it."

Love my 4runner!

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable car, great everyday driver"

Cons: "No air vents in rear of vehicle"

"I absolutely love my 4runner. It drives really nice and is comfortable for long or short drives. I have a family of 5, two of which are teenagers and everyone rides comfortably together, which is important! The only thing I wish my 4runner had was a power lift gate and that there were air vents located in the rear for my kids who sit in the 3rd row seat."

Does Not Meet My Expectations

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2015

"This is my first Toyota after owning 5 Chevys and a Ford. I had high expectations for this vehicle as it has one of the best reputations for reliability of any vehicle on the market and is a legendary nameplate. Cons: I had to have my front differential and driver’s side axle replaced due to a failed bearing inside the carrier at only 13,000 miles. There are squeaks in behind the dash, in the armrest, in the moon roof, and in the seat. I have more paint chips and scratches after one year than is acceptable. The trailer hitch is almost covered in surface rust after one year. The interior silver trim pieces are scratched from using the brush on my vacuum one time. Acceleration is adequate if you really push it, but due to throttle mapping, it feels incredibly slow and uninspiring. Plug for trailer lights is hidden under the bumper. Pros: Feels very rugged and mechanically very tight. Great dog vehicle to the roll-down rear window. Ground clearance is incredible for a vehicle with standard tires and wheels. Traction in bad weather is the best I’ve experienced. Fantastic aftermarket and loyal online followers. Looks great working hard or in the city on a date night. Simple, proven engine and transmission. Unique. The only comparable vehicle is the XTerra, which is in dire need of an update."

My favorite car ever owned

By on Friday, January 02, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, excellent off road/ in bad weather"

Cons: "gas millage isn't as good as it could be"

"Great car!!! Only down side is the gas millage I go 26 miles round trip to work 70% highway 30% city and I only get 17 mpg. I don't have a lead foot, I try to be conservative with the accelerator and brake. My old car (similar size, different brand) used to get 21 mpg average over the same route. I will be buying another one when this lease is up!!"

Hands down ..best vehicle ever !

By on Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pros: "road command, ride quality, off road capabilities"

Cons: "gas mileage & optional features."

"I have very little experience with this vehicle but I am just feeling overwhelmed by my 4runner. I just love it's legacy & both the packages ( interior & exterior ) are perfect. Though there could have been couple of more features like power lift gate & blind spot or lane departure warning, but one mustn't forget that it's a truck & it does more than justice to it's name. I strongly recommend this vehicle. I am just feeling awesome after getting this vehicle.Stands true to it's tagline "Keep it wild !!!""

Its a Toyota - High Quality and Dependable

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Awesome overall vehicle"

Cons: "Yakima Pro18 does not fit on roof w/o modification"

"This is the best SUV I've driven. Wish my previous SUV was a 4Runner. I'll never go back."

absolutely the best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, November 15, 2014

"Our Runner is one of our favorite things. She is a snow cadillac, handles amazingly off-road, hauls anything, fits everything and everyone, and drives like a cloud. If I had millions of dollars I would still drive one."

This vehicle look and run great

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

"This is a very comfortable and strong vehicle great on the snow or ice road , extended toyota maintenance bumper to bumper until 2018 transferable, completed service up to date , remote starter,black interior leather seats, black exterior."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

Cons: "Gets 20-21 mpg rides great looks great dependable"

"I've owned a 2007 4runner 2007 and a 2010 Highlanders. This 2013 4runner is the best of them all. Has great towing ability, great ride, no wind noise and great resell Value. We love this 4runner!"

Outstanding Bang for the buck

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "Great ride"

Cons: "Tinny sound to the doors"

"Reliable, worry free transportation Maintain it right, should last 250k or more. Got 227k out of my 2004 Will buy another!"

Best Value

By on Sunday, October 05, 2014

"I've wanted this truck ever since I can remember but since I wear I suit and tie to work my previous cars have been sedans and luxury vehicles. After having this SUV for two months I couldn't be any happier and I am looking forward to my first road trip."

Lovely car to own and solid in feel and safety.

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "Handles easily, Inside spacious, a solid car!"

Cons: "Running boards more narrow than previous years."

"This car has only been serviced at the Toyota Dealership from which it was purchased."

Does not match up to the 2005 4Runner.

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "Good Handlng; Smooth ride; Roomy;"

Cons: "OEM tires; ECO display; Sun Visor; Underpowered;"

"I have just had the first oil change on my 2014 4Runner Trail 4WD for which I traded my 2005 4Runner 4WD Sport. There are a large number of things I do not like about the 2014 model when compared to the 2005. It seems many things were cheapened. LIKES: •Rides very smoothly and handles very well. •Quite roomy for our purposes •Manual heating/cooling much better than the automatic •Time and temperature display can be seen in daylight unless headlights are on •Users manual has page number references •Evidently the rear tail gate no longer has a motorized closure; For the 2005 I spent $1200 on two occasions to have the closure mechanism repaired from the fine dust that entered from our unimproved roads that combined with rainwater. •12v, 110v, and USB outlets DISLIKES: •No bug screen. I did not realize how much that helped with the bugs on the windscreen •Sun visor has a funky small center pull out section which does absolutely no good; 2005 entire sun visor moved on its support and did the job plus it had a small auxiliary visor for the front which was very useful on our winding mountain roads at sunrise and sunset. •A stupid ECO display that tells me when I am accelerating takes up valuable instrument panel display area and is totally worthless and a waste of money. I really DO know when I am accelerating •No covers on storage compartments to keep items from falling out •Time and temperature display cannot be seen in daylight when headlights are on, but could not be seen at all on the 2005 in daylight. •The vehicle is underpowered and cannot easily climb a 20 percent grade on the unimproved road leading to my house. With a light ATV trailer I must be in second gear and in four wheel drive to crawl up •Outside mirror is easily moved when pushed on when mirror has been retracted. 2005 model was much more substantial •Gas cap no longer has a locking mechanism •OEM tires not made for unimproved roads. After 2,000 miles I was climbing the steep hill on the unimproved road to my house, which I drive daily. Something punctured the tire in the center of the tread to an extent that the tire could not be repaired, It forced me to purchase a new tire for a spare and trade in the entire set (for $50.00) for real tires. The same thing can be said for the quality of the OEM tires on the 2005 model; on two occasions, a tire shredded going down my road when they went flat and I did not realize it. •The KDSS is confusing and difficult to understand and seems to be a waste of money for a vehicle that is not routinely used off road. I do need the features to be used in deep snow in the northern mountains of NM. •Not any address can be entered into the Navigational system. If the address has no default it cannot be entered. I cannot enter the street number for a house that is in a long established area. •All four windows being fully automatic down is unnecessary and makes it difficult to crack the windows open to reduce heat buildup •Finally, the emergency kit and the first aid kit have been cheapened - both the contents ant the storage containers"

Great Value

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "It is fun to drive"

Cons: "The shiny plastic finish in the console."

"A bit expensive on the front end but the resale is great on these and would say that it will retain a higher percentage of the original cost than most other vehicles. Drives great on and off road. Not the best vehicle to tow with but then again it's not really designed to tow a lot."

Great Vehile

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "Rugged and Dependable"

Cons: "Could use more HP"

"I bought my first 4Runner in 2005 and drove it 225,000 miles with no problems at all. I recently traded it for a 2013 SR5 with the Premium Package and have been very happy with the purchase. I plan to drive this one over 200,000 miles as well."

Good Vehicle Great Value

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "ROI, Dependable, Bad Weather Handling"

Cons: "Electronics Package"

"Pro: Reliable, Safe, Capable, Comfortable, Value on Trade Con: Navigation hard to use. Blue Tooth connectivity is spotty. Toyota NEEDS to improve their electronics package to match other manufactures features and ease of use. This includes features and a brighter clearer touch screen. Being from Japan, you would think this would be top-notch, but it is not. I recently traded this vehicle in on 2014 4 Runner...this is my third one and so far ( other than the electronics ) I have been very pleased. Handling on the road during bad weather is very good. No problems what-so-ever and I ALWAYS get a good trade in value."

old friend and new friend

By on Monday, August 11, 2014

"There are few things that will bring a tear to a grown man's eye. Retiring an old friend after 11 years of loyal service is one of those things. I've put almost 200K miles of adventures on this bad boy, through my early twenties and early thirties. Despite the means to replace it long ago, I've kept it in service because I've kept the exterior up well, it's got a nice enough interior (although mobile audio technology changed since 2003) and it just works. Let me say that again. IT JUST WORKS. You are not going to find another SUV (in this price range) that can take you to a business meeting on Friday, up a steep craggy mountain trail on Saturday, and the family to church on Sunday...WITHOUT FAIL year after year. My 4runner is almost 12, and it drives and sounds like a 12 year old truck, that has unfortunately been in two accidents. I love it but it's time to let it go. I'm not ready to upgrade to a Landcruiser just yet, so I'm getting the next best thing, another 4runner. If you enjoy the outdoors and you need an SUV, this is THE ONE."

Rented in Portland, OR. for 2 weeks.

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

I don't own this car

"Perfect for camping and exploring. Easy to drive and no problems."

Solid well built SUV

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "Interior, fun to drive, smooth, leather seats"

"There may be SUV's that behave more like cars, but I've always been a 4x4 guy. This 2014 is the best of both words, it's great on the highway and off road. Interior is quality materials and love entune. Lots of cargo space and 2nd row leg room. Interior materials and top notch and you can't be exterior looks. We bought this after we put 200,000 trouble free miles on our 04' 4Runner."

Best vehicle I've owned!

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Great sound system, fun to drive"

Cons: "Position of cup holders/4wd control"

"I have a black 2012 limited 4runner and absolutely love it! It's rugged and stands up to off roading. Tons of space for gear on hiking and camping trips. Looks sharp! I will never drive anything else!"