2012 Toyota 4Runner

Based on 169 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Best body on frame SUV out there!

By on Monday, March 16, 2015

Pros: "Capable, comfortable, reliable, 4WD system"

Cons: "Factory tires, nose dive"

"I've owned my 2014 4Runner SR5 Premium 4X4 since December 2013 and it is by far the best all around vehicle I have ever owned and I've owned many over the last 20 years. This is the first truck, and I'll call it a truck since it has a real frame, that I want to keep and enjoy for years to come. These trucks are built to last with quality through and through. It's been through two fairly rugged Wisconsin winters, a 2,000+ mile road trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota towing a motorcycle on a trailer and made a full up family trek to and from Pittsburgh without a hiccup or issue. I typically see anywhere from 19-21 MPG on the interstate and ~17 MPG in mixed city driving. Overall sight lines, comfort and conveniences get top marks. Everyone who takes a ride in the T4R comments on how upscale and tight the truck is. I only have two real areas that are easily fixed and I've addressed the first. The Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires that come from the factory on this truck are horrible. I think they're there simply for MPG impact as they have been mostly useless in any snow over 4" deep this winter. The 4WD system is outstanding and highly capable and these tires simply take away from that. I've since swapped them out with General Grabber AT2 M/S tires that grip like a billy goat. My second issue that I'll deal with in the coming months is the porpoising that the front end does under hard acceleration and braking. Nose dive is exaggerated and something that a good set of Bilstein shocks all around should address. If you're in the market for a true SUV with many of the comfort and conveniences of all the car based SUVs, you couldn't do much better than a 4Runner. To boot, their reliability and resale value are simply unmatched. Look for yourself."

Best all around family vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Pros: "Can make it through most any terrain if needed."

Cons: "Does not have the comfort of a luxury vehicle"

"I ordered this vehicle from the factory and it was my best car purchase to date. I have had no maintenance issues and it is capable of carpooling to camping. Plenty of room for 3 kids and 3 dogs with all of the luggage for a road trip."

2012 Trail Edition - my dream vehicle!

By on Sunday, March 01, 2015

Pros: "4WD, black bumpers, cargo deck"

Cons: "sunglass holder?"

"I bought the Trail edition in excellent used condition. I've owned a Sequoia, Highlander, Camry, and a Corolla, but this is just right for my family of four, including two teenagers. The Sequoia was just too large for my day to day. 4WD works well during the Michigan snow storms and traveling through the wooded trails to prepare for a hike. Crawl control and the unique settings for mud, rock, etc. are a bonus. Water resistant seats are perfect for an outdoorsy lifestyle and am enjoying the XM satellite radio is great with the sound system. I prefer the black bumpers and exterior black trim; can't stand all the scratches on a painted bumper. The body looks cool - I receive compliments frequently. Gas mileage is not ideal around town, but I can get 22/23 driving around 60mph. The body on frame feels safe and sturdy with not a lot of road or wind noise - just a slight hum from the tires. Plenty of cargo room, especially when the back seats are folded. The party mode is pretty cool for tailgating, and the slide out cargo deck is pretty useful. I pull out the deck, place the heavy items on it, then slide into the truck. Also I sit on the slide out to put on my boots for skiing. Power seats are perfect to adjust to each driver. The Trail edition is great looking without all that chrome, running boards not required even though I'm only 5'8" - not a big deal, and the soft touch interior surfaces for elbows are comfortable. 4.0 L is plenty of power for me. Plenty of cup holders - great rear roll down window for air flow. Fantastic vehicle for outdoorsy type family who need to get off-road and beat around the town. I would buy another Trail Edition all over again."

Really really nice dependable vehicle.

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

"I love this vehicle, will probably buy another before I'm done."

Avid Off Road Explorer South Mt. Baker

By on Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive and a real off road SUV!"

Cons: "Gas mileage."

"I've had this vehicle for a year and out of 18 camping trips and day hikes I can say wow...lots of room for storage for four folks as well as carry-in fire wood. I have the KDSS and really like the ride and off-road prowess. Sound system is the best I've ever had. Navigation accurate. Seats are sooo nice!"