2010 Toyota 4Runner

Based on 187 Ratings for the 2010 - 2016 models.

They don't come any better than a 4Runner!!

By on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pros: "Strong and dependable and worth every dollar!"

Cons: "Externally operated gas access door."

"This is my second 4Runner (I had the first one for 13 years!) and I love this one also. It is comfortable, a joy to drive, and feels stong and dependable (Duh, it IS a Toyota!)I work them very hard in the woods, pulling a heavy trailer, and carrying loads for friends whose vehicles won't hold the items. It has operated flawlessly. The only thing I miss that my old one had is an internal gas access door. I do not like the gas access door being unlockable. Other than that, it is an investment that anyone who can afford one should consider."

My third Runner and it does not disappoint!!

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "Great ride with toughness, power, and quality."

Cons: "Tires are poor."

"This is my third Runner and so far it matches the previous ones. I work them really hard; pulling trees out of the woods, hauling gravel, manure, and wood in my utility trailer(and I tend to overload every time!). This Runner is a step up in the comfort, convenience accessories, and quality of ride. The only let down is the tires. They are very poorly rated and rightly so. I will soon replace them with Michelin MS2's or Firestone Destinations. For the price you cannot get better quality, resale value, or dependability."

Awesome vehicle and value for the dollar

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Excellent build and quality"

Cons: "No locking fuel filler"

"I own a 2013 limited for 1mo+ with 800 flawless miles, and I also still own a 2003 toyota 4R SR5 with 125+k flawless miles. I would have bought it in 2010, but they had took away the auto rear locking hatch and remote locking fuel filler door, so i waited for them to bring it back but they haven't. However, my wife wanted it, so i traded my '08 TSB & recall ridden and mechanically flawed pontiac and kept her 2003 Toyota 4R SR5 which i plan to own for another 5 years at least. And yes, it is, that sound and rock solid still. But upon close examination of the 2013 Toyota 4R, I came to find out the auto-locking rear hatch isn't really needed at all on the new model as it closes with the same ease as the previous. in fact, the previous one has been a hinderance because a couple ppl have slammed it in closing it, unawares that it is auto-self locking. Lucky for us it is Toyota build quility, and nothing at all has happened as a result. As for the lack of a locking fuel door, I installed a stant locking gas cap with no adverse or service engine light issues so far whatsoever. But yes, they need to bring the old locking fuel filler door back for convenience sake. I also though the quality of the plastic on the interior of the new one was of inferior quality, until I brought it home and compared it with the old one, side by side. Happy to say they both appear to have the same lvl of quality except for the glove box door, which is substantially lighter than the old one. It is however excellent quality, and a much better fit and finish than the vehicle i traded it for, and on which I had to replace the globe box lock that fell apart when it was less than a year of ownership. The factory paint job is Toyota flawless quality, but the dealer prep was lacking, as I had tar over-spray in the driver's bottom rocker panel that they didn't remove after washing. The factory does apply special paint protection treatment to the bottom of vehicle to protect against chips and stones that looks like a defect or paint ripples, but trust me it is not, and i have that on my 10 year old 4R as well. I must say that after having spent 30+ years in the automotive service industry, and owning many different type & brands of vehicles, the new Toyota 4R still gets my nod of approval for mechanical and workmanship excellence."

Excellent Vehicle - Tough to compare to others

By on Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable, very capable & reliable"

Cons: "No remote fuel filler latch. Only 5 gears."

"I replaced a Lexus IS350 with this so performance & handling are vastly different. The 4Runner will GO if you push it but it's no speed demon - but that's not what it's for. I find that it can get squirrelly when you go much above 80 - particularly on windy days. That aside I am very pleased with driving characteristics. Decent turning radius, smooth ride. Handles potholes a lot better that the old IS did. The ability to flip into 4wd is what I wanted and this baby does not disappoint. It will go nearly anywhere. I see a significant improvement in MPG at 75mph vs 80mph. Would love to have one more gear but the 5 are very well spaced & perform very well. Some of the interior could use softer touch materials but I bought it knowing about this so I'll end that whine here. Like many others I find no viable excuse for the absence of a remote fuel door release. Roomy, comfortable, very capable & outstanding reliability. Will keep this baby for a long time."

Toyota 4Runner - the most reliable suv on the road

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "4x4, lots of fun"

"Great vehicle! Looks great, handles great and can do anything you ask it to do. Fantastic interior with good looks."

Very happy with 2011 4Runner

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Big, solid, spacious vehicle with room for cargo"

Cons: "Audio system a bit primitive"

"I've been driving this vehicle for only 6,000 miles/ 6 months but I know I will always like it. I traded a Lexus GS430, that was a great car but I wanted back into an SUV. My last SUV was a BMW X5 so I was a little worried that the Toyota would seem cheap by comparison. In short I can tell the difference in ride stiffness but I paid tens of thousands less and I am happy with the 4Runner, no regrets. The controls for the radio and iPod and the AUX and Bluetooth connections are a little odd but other than that no complaints. I wish I hadn't taken the third row, I never use it. Styling is great, much improved over past years. I get about 20-21 MPG on the road, but my driving mix is mostly highway."

Dependable, reliable, a necessity

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "can't find any yet"

"This vehicle is so dependable. In the snow, on the beach, or on the highway, the comfort and reliability of this vehicle makes me and my family feel safe. I have been on the beach in the outer banks and in assateague with no problems. I have taken it hunting, haul my kayaks, and I am going across the country in december. I love this vehicle and would recommend it to anyone."

Fantastic truck

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

"I owned many cars mostly GM and Ford as well as Mercedes and Audi. I change my car every 18 to 24 months. This 4runner (my first Toyota) is here to stay. I love it."

Love my 4Runner, Again!

By on Friday, August 19, 2011

Pros: "Safety, smooth ride, fun to drive"

Cons: "Deck lid difficult to close"

"I traded my 2004 4Runner, which I also bought new, for the 2011 SR5 version with a few perks. I absolutely love it and have not been disappointed in the least with my purchase. The only part of the new one I like less than my previous version is that the deck lid on my truck does not close automatically and it takes a bit of a shove to close it all the way. I feel very safe in this vehicle and love the way it drives and rides. I am a believer!"

2012 Trail Edition - my dream vehicle!

By on Sunday, March 01, 2015

Pros: "4WD, black bumpers, cargo deck"

Cons: "sunglass holder?"

"I bought the Trail edition in excellent used condition. I've owned a Sequoia, Highlander, Camry, and a Corolla, but this is just right for my family of four, including two teenagers. The Sequoia was just too large for my day to day. 4WD works well during the Michigan snow storms and traveling through the wooded trails to prepare for a hike. Crawl control and the unique settings for mud, rock, etc. are a bonus. Water resistant seats are perfect for an outdoorsy lifestyle and am enjoying the XM satellite radio is great with the sound system. I prefer the black bumpers and exterior black trim; can't stand all the scratches on a painted bumper. The body looks cool - I receive compliments frequently. Gas mileage is not ideal around town, but I can get 22/23 driving around 60mph. The body on frame feels safe and sturdy with not a lot of road or wind noise - just a slight hum from the tires. Plenty of cargo room, especially when the back seats are folded. The party mode is pretty cool for tailgating, and the slide out cargo deck is pretty useful. I pull out the deck, place the heavy items on it, then slide into the truck. Also I sit on the slide out to put on my boots for skiing. Power seats are perfect to adjust to each driver. The Trail edition is great looking without all that chrome, running boards not required even though I'm only 5'8" - not a big deal, and the soft touch interior surfaces for elbows are comfortable. 4.0 L is plenty of power for me. Plenty of cup holders - great rear roll down window for air flow. Fantastic vehicle for outdoorsy type family who need to get off-road and beat around the town. I would buy another Trail Edition all over again."

Very solid sexy SUV

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Pros: "Smooth, comfy, rugged, utilitarian, sexy!!"

"I came from a Tacoma and an outback turbo and for those who say this 4runner is slow must have a 4 cylinder.. Low end speed is average to good but top end is amazing in my V6.. For an SUV that gets 20 mpgs (that's what I average in the mountains) the speed is fantastic. I've experienced zero road noise and the bakes on this vehicle are very responsive and stops the vehicle very fast!!!!. The interior is absolutely stunning and rugged like an SUV should be. Only complaint is the grey trim around the shifter and on the door handles scratch very easy. The exterior design is absolutely sick and has a very rugged yet sophisticated look. The 4runner looks bigger than what it is.. It handles very well, its nibble in traffic, and rides so smoothly over rough terrain. No bottoming out and no bouncing around. Very solid vehicle and if u can afford it I highly recommend it..."

Love It

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "Great Options, Reliable, Smooth Ride"

Cons: "Leather cheap, Missing some nice options"

"I traded a 09 tahoe LTZ for a Limited 4Runner! I absolutely love it. Rides smooth, great navigation, bluetooth phone. The USB feature for music is great! Overall I could not be happier! I feel like I have the most reliable SUV on the road but I still have the look, luxury feel, and the options. I miss two things from my luxury SUV: Memory seats and settings and rear hatch touch closing."

4runners are not the toyota you used to know

By on Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, roomy, higher"

Cons: "cheap paint, cheap materials, bad turning radius"

"This is my third 4runner and I am so disappointed. Since its bigger, the turning radius is difficult in tight areas. The paint is cheap and chips often and easily. The antenna is dated and clunky. The third row seating makes it uneven in the back so when you open the car door, everything falls out. The AC vent has been rattling for 7 months and the dealership (had it 5 times) still hasn't remedied it. The quality just isn't there anymore."

Still best in class but a step down from previous

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pros: "Bigger inside, nav system is great. Mountain goat"

Cons: "Cheap plastic. Antenna from the 80'"

"I recently replaced a 2006 4runner with 92k for a 2010 4runner. My06 has been reliable, comfortable and trouble/rattle free. It was a great ride, even luxurious in some aspect. It did carry me regularly on mountain trails with all my gear, and as my daily commute was fast and nimble around town while still delivering 21mpg on average. The new one feel bigger, but also cheaper ( I am comparing 2 limited trim here). Toyota: why did you remove the embedded antenna and the hatch closing assist? What's up with the cheap plastic on the door panel? But worse: we now have to remove the skid plates to do an oil change? Seriously?"

2005 4-Runner better vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Toyota dependability."

Cons: "Toyota has sacrificed quality."

"Traded 2005 Limited with 72,000 miles for SR5 with luxury pkg. Big mistake. In the 7 yrs. between purchases Toyota has sacrificed quality. V8 no longer an option, no lighted running boards, rear cargo door no longer pulls in & latches, no cross members on roof rack, more plastic interior (05 had at least padded door sills & dashboard. No more screen in cargo area that pulled out to put packages or valuables out of sight. These were things that set it apart from other SUV's. Handling is inferior to 2005 also."

Great Vehicle!

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Toyota is one of the BEST vehicles on the road, it just can;t be beaten in many cases. The 4Runner is awesome, very comfortable, stylish, very reliable, sometimes a bit pokey but step on the pedal and it goes just fine. I didn;t buy the vehicle for speed but rather for the Toyota quality. I owed a 2008 4Runner and it never saw the repair shop except for regualr maint. oil changes etc.. outstanding quality and reliability. Thats why I upgraded to a new 2011"

Solid SUV

By on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"Test drove Pilot, MDX, RDX, and FX35 with the 4RUNNER being the roomiest and most practical among this group. Fit and finish plus ride quality makes this a good choice with the only negative being that it is a bit underpowered. With Toyota quality and a better price point we are happy with this purchase."

Outstanding value for the buck! Not to be outdone!

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Pros: "value per dollar"

Cons: "NONE!"

Outstanding value dollar per dollar

"The 2011 4Runner is an outstanding value in any camp! It replaced a 2010 that I was in when it was totaled, and it protected me admirably! The 2011 is all that you could want in an SUV. The frame gives it outstanding strength and stability. To consider any other manufacturer is a mistake. It gets great gas mileage and has towing torque that is stellar. It exudes safety and comfort beyond any other SUV on the market. I owned a 1997 for 13 years and this 4Runner I think will be as long lasting and strong as the ’97. Go for it!!"

Outstanding value dollar per dollar

Hey, it's a Toyota...

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

"Reliable, good looks, built to go, go and go."

Best Vehicle I have owned

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "comfort, gas mileage, leg room, radio, navigation,"

Cons: "absolutely none"

"I have had a Ford Explorer and a Ford Expedition. I was dead set on an SUV. All of the SUV's except for the 4runner went cross over. I didn't want the crossover style and loved the style and the reviews on the 2012 4runner. I LOVE IT! I looked for over 2 years and finally purchased mine. It is comfortable, lots of leg room in the back seat, the navigation system is awesome, the radio with sat radio is great. The gas mileage started out a little on the low side but as I keep putting miles on it, it keeps going up. I can't imagine owning anything but a 4runner. I am looking for a used one for my daughter who will be driving in 18 months! My father who has always been a Ford guy, loves my vehicle and keeps saying how well it drives and how quiet it is."

My favorite vehicle ever!

By on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, good gas mileage, not too pricey"

Cons: "I have no complaints about this vehicle."

"I have owned 3 SUV's - first a Sequoia, then a Highlander, and now a 4RUNNER. I enjoyed the Sequoia for its comfort and roominess, but it was a little too large for my needs. I got a Highlander, which drives like a car. I felt like I was sitting too low after being used to the Sequoia. I traded the Highlander for a 4Runner, and I love it. It is just the perfect size SUV for me."

Know what you want if going for the Trail Edition

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Locking Rear Diff and KDSS (Look it up, awesome)"

Cons: "Weak Sauce Tires, Braking Nose Dive"

"Great vehicle if you want to be able to keep up with your buddy's Jeep offroad (almost) without sacrificing too much when it comes to street comfort. The Trail Edition is definitely a compromise on the road versus the current SUV crop however once the going gets tough you simply will not need to worry. If you are comparing an Explorer, Subaru, and 4Runner you probably don't want the 4Runner (Trail Edition). Hope this helps."

Does Not Meet My Expectations

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2015

"This is my first Toyota after owning 5 Chevys and a Ford. I had high expectations for this vehicle as it has one of the best reputations for reliability of any vehicle on the market and is a legendary nameplate. Cons: I had to have my front differential and driver’s side axle replaced due to a failed bearing inside the carrier at only 13,000 miles. There are squeaks in behind the dash, in the armrest, in the moon roof, and in the seat. I have more paint chips and scratches after one year than is acceptable. The trailer hitch is almost covered in surface rust after one year. The interior silver trim pieces are scratched from using the brush on my vacuum one time. Acceleration is adequate if you really push it, but due to throttle mapping, it feels incredibly slow and uninspiring. Plug for trailer lights is hidden under the bumper. Pros: Feels very rugged and mechanically very tight. Great dog vehicle to the roll-down rear window. Ground clearance is incredible for a vehicle with standard tires and wheels. Traction in bad weather is the best I’ve experienced. Fantastic aftermarket and loyal online followers. Looks great working hard or in the city on a date night. Simple, proven engine and transmission. Unique. The only comparable vehicle is the XTerra, which is in dire need of an update."

Daily driver and trail warrior

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "Rugged, reliable, good v6, genuine off road chops"

Cons: "paint, some interior plastics, no locking gas cap"

"If you are looking for something rugged, reliable, off-road capable yet a pleasant commuter than this is a good bet. I have the trail edition and it is aptly named. Can keep up with a jeep rubicon unlimited in most situations but drives far better when back on the pavement. V6 is designed for trucks, compared to almost all competitors with V6s designed for cars. Results in better low end torque. Fuel economy is decent given 9.6 inches of ground clearance, non all-season tires, and 4750lb curb weight. No problems after 41k miles, must of which driven in the harsh environments of northern Vermont. There are some downsides, namely: Paint chips/scratches easily Not as quiet as some competitors Hard plastics found in some of the less common touch points Gas cap doesn't lock (4th gen did!) If you can live with those, and want a real truck instead of a car based crossover, this is a great choice. Its also one of the last ones left!"

Just about my dream SUV

By on Saturday, June 04, 2011

"I have the 2010 Limited 4 Runner with 3rd row seats. Wanted the 3rd row for extra seating - not mandatory seating so the fact that you have less then a foot of "trunk" space when 3rd row is up is not a problem for me but definitely would be if you needed that space. The space when all the seats are down is crazy (I've put in 2 twin box springs without hesitation). I've previously owned a 2003 Limited V8 and have found the 4 runner to be the best vehicle I've had no matter the year. It's beefy body makes me feel safe and I know all the off roading options on there and air bags are actually going to keep me safe. I'm in my car for 2 hours each day and never get uncomfortable in the car. I heard the "wind" noise everyone talks about but after a week quit hearing it - it's called a radio - it's really not that bad. Pros: much roomier then the older models and other mid size SUVs like the Mariner (owned and hated). 2nd row has just as much space and has sliding seats which provide even more space. Lots of features for off roading. Decent gas mileage for its size - I average 17.5 and drive highway and city. AC outlets so no converters. The sound system sounds so good people ask me what I've put in ther (nothing). 4 window automatic windows (it's the little things). Cons: Lumbar support seams to creek at least once every trip. Slip control seems odd - ocassionally when stoped on a hill if I push the gas pedal just so it starts to "slip" Toyota says it's operating like it should but the 03 never did that. Not easy to get into the 3rd row - kids or small adults only. No storage with 3rd row up. Bottom line: you may pay more for the 4Runner with all the options than its peer but you get what you pay for. The 4runner is going to hold its value and last longer than those "good deals." I've owned the car for less than a year and already owe what it's still worth - says a lot with the typical first year depreciation."