2009 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 903 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

I drove, played with this SUV for 7 years.

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Great on the highway and the national parks"

Cons: "Sorry no cons"

"I hate to let it go. It is like the day I bought it only better. I swear it got better w age. The paint is richer. Yes I buff and wax. The engine is flawless. I am lucky my son wanted to buy it, leaving me free to buy a new 4-runner. It is part of the family. The reason I rated over all 9.5 is because I like the sport ; but I like the options on the limited. So I did without heated seats and nav. I improvised."

This one stays in the family!

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, brakes last forever"

On trip back from Northern MN. Room for two dog kennels and luggage.

"Purchased this '08 4Runner Limited V6 4WD new in Nov 2007 and have loved every minute with it. DIY maintenance is easy, including oil, filter, gear oil in rear differential, front differential and transfer case. Only annoyance is driveshaft clunk that appears every 10k miles or so, but is easily cured by greasing the six zerk fittings on the shaft (which is routine maintenance according to the manual). Wonderful ride. Ours came with Xreas, so wonderful handling. Reliability has been stunning, and that includes the onboard navigation system. Leather seats still in outstanding condition after six years. Easily tows 2800 pound boat/trailer. Rear 60/40 seats fold nearly flat. My sons will draw for it when I'm ready to part with it ("Don't sell this one, Dad!")."

On trip back from Northern MN. Room for two dog kennels and luggage.

Never had "buyers remorse!"

By on Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pros: "This vehicle will never disappoint you."

Cons: "A little noisey with windows and roof open"

"This is a well designed vehicle that clearly had the customer in mind. Comforts and Foresight are the best ways to describe this vehicle."

Nothing less than awesome

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "nothing but confident driving experience"

Cons: "exhaust enters back window, drivetrain "thunks""

"I purchased this car used in 2011, with 149k miles on it and have had an outstanding experience with it. I drove it across country, I have driven it in over a foot of snow, I have done windy highway driving at 85mph and I have done stupid amounts of in-town driving. The mpg isn't outstanding but it's a V8, what do you expect? I get better than predicted at highway speeds, about predicted in town (and my average speed is 18 to 22 mph according to the on board computer on an average tank!). I've only experienced two annoyances, an exhaust issue and a drivetrain issue. The exhaust issue happens when I have the back window down partially if I am driving at low speeds. I have to have it either up or down, not in-between, or exhaust comes in. Ew. If I'm driving at least 35-40mph, this is not a problem. Annoying since I do a lot of low-speed driving, but I've perfected the art of up/down. At least it's auto-up, auto-down. Oh well. The another annoyance I had (which I think is finally fixed) was an issue with the drivetrain. The best way I can describe it is a "thunk" - the whole vehicle would lurch slightly a few seconds after I came to a stop and make a small noise. Needless to say, I was terrified my transmission was about to die on my 150k mile new-to-me vehicle. I took it to two different dealers who insisted it was the drive train and told me they would grease it to fix it, only to have the issue return within a few weeks. Dealer #3 actually fixed it. Not sure what they did differently, but it's a year later, and I've still not had any more thunks. I'm happy."

Great vehicle, never lets me down

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Power, comfort, smooth ride, utility, style"

"I have owned my 4Runner for almost 2 years and could not be happier with a vehicle. I had my eye on the 4runner for a few years, my brother owns one and he loves it. I did all the research I could and read glowing reviews from many other owners. But I really just loved the look of the 4runner and nothing else stacked up to the features and utility of this truck. I found one on line and had to have it. This SUV is solid, built on a heavy duty steel frame and all of the under carriage is well protected by steel skid plates designed for off road and trail use. The body on frame design is rare in the SUV market today. The engineers at Toyota dont over engineer their vehicles, but rather seem to bring the right amount comfort while keeping the design simple. Everything just work, and thing don't break. I do much of the maintenance on the 4runner myself, oil and fluid changes, nothing has broken down in the 20K miles that I have driven it. The truck is a beast in the snow and off roads, it is easy to kick in the 4WD, and comes with locking differential if it is needed. I have the 4.7 V8 engine which has more than enough power to tow a boat or trailer. Inside is a very comfortable ride. Handling is great, the SUV has a super tight turning radius, the larger tires give it a smooth ride n rough roads, the cabin is quiet and well insulated from the noise outside. The A/C and heat work great and there is a ton of storage in the back. One of the best features is the rear window that rolls down and allows you to haul things that might not fit totally inside the truck."