2009 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 873 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

4Runner is great but not for everyone

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "Can't beat the 4WD system."

Cons: "Ride is not the best."

"We live in the Sierra mountains in California. The 4Runner proves itself with it's true 4WD system in the snow and ice. We use the locking center differential often on slippery conditions and it just plows through. However, you do need compatible tires so we have our 3rd set of Michelin Mountain tires on the 4Runner. Ride is not great: bouncy, harsh at times. But this is not your phoo-phoo crossover SUV. It is a true 4WD truck like vehicle and that makes it tough. Whether using it off road in the summer to get to our fishing spot or running it through snow in winter. Dependability had been excellent. Our OEM Panasonic battery lasted 160,000 miles (8.5 years)! We had to replace front axel seals on both sides due to bearing failure. But the mechanic said it was probably due to hitting a deer some 9 months earlier as he never seen front axel bearings fail before. Other than that we have had an annoying driver's side mirror that vibrates. I would buy again. But if you are looking for a smooth riding SUV, look elsewhere."

A true love affair

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "Handles well, rides well for a truck based vehicle"

Cons: "Highway wander and gas milage"

"Have owned my 2003 4runner for ten yrs. now and Evan though its a second car it has never let me down. I feel the looks are much better than the new generation 4runner. 4runners have always held there value which makes it all that much better. I have driven the new generation 4runner and don't feel it hold a candle to mine. Thanks for your time."

Ultimate Reliability

By on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Pros: "Great price range and minimum maintenance cost."

Cons: "no mp3 interface."

"150K miles (8 years) and I've changed nothing but the front brakes, tires, one parking light bulb and the battery. No rattling noises and suspension is still superb. Fuel consumption was better than advertised and has held steady."

Best Truck Based SUV for the money

By on Wednesday, March 03, 2010

"Nothing touches this car in the arena of mid sized truck based suvs. Reason being, it has decent fuel economy, amazing in the snow, extremely smooth ride, great lines, huge wheels and tires, and more appealing options than most trucks offer at the limited trim (I own an SR5). If you want something close to it in terms of reliability and resale, get a Pilot. But all around this thing is ridiculous. It took me a year of searches, 7 test drives, and about a hundred hours to finally get one with both low mileage and a decent price. The single best indicator you know you are getting an amazing truck...you can find ones for sale that are 20 years old with over 250,000 miles that still have actual value. This is the honda accord/toyota camry of SUVs. Unreal."

Best vehicle I've ever had!

By on Friday, March 28, 2008

"I bought my 2004 V8 silver Sport edition off a friend/Toyota salesman. He traded it in for a Tundra to pull his fishing boat and now he really regrets selling it. The handling in snow is incredible with the traction control and ABS. The only thing it will skid on is ice and greasy slop on a steep decline. I took it down a severely washed-out and unmaintained dirt road during and after flooding. I was a scarey ride but the 4-Runner performed as well in the rough as it did on the pavement. I've test driven a Porche Cayenne on a off-road test track and I felt as safe in my 4-runner! I can get 20 mpg at 75 highway, 22 mpg at 65 and 25 mpg at 55. Very pleased! Smooth, quiet and powerful engine makes long rides a pleasure. Quick acelleration pins me to the seat and the anti-roll stabilizer keeps me centered in my seat in sharp fast turns. My wife complains about the leg room configuration on the passengers side but at 6' tall I have so much leg room that I have to pull the seat forward. I'll keep this one for at least 10 yrs!"

The Best

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

"I researched SUV's for nearly 3 years before going with a 4Runner. They are simply the best option when you consider Value, Quality, Reliability, Style, and Praticality. You know you've got a dependable vehicle when you go with a Toyota. The combination of performance and quality that the 4Runner delivers is unmatched in the mid-sized SUV class. I love my 4Runner!"

GREAT

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2007

"I CAN TELL THERE WAS ALOT OF THOUGHT PUT INTO THIS "TRUCK" I have owned new trucks befor but this one is exceptional. It 2005 and with V8 gets over 20 miles to a gallon when kept around 70 and 17 around town and It has 4 wheel drive. I really cant believe the handleing and power. Its scary at times and takes some getting used to when first driving. The seat could use a little more something. My head almost touches the roof and I am not that tall. I like the lumbar support but wish it to be a little more pronounced. I am really very pleased else wise and would by this truck despite the things I have written as faults."

unreal!

By on Friday, November 02, 2007

"I love this suv! I can't begin to tell you how much I absolutely love this truck. I consistanty get 23 mpg with synthetic oil (amsoil), last winter it handled beautifully for me getting me through some deep snow near NYC without any hesitation. When you start this thing you can just tell it's been perfected, it's quiet, powerful and it's the first new car I've ever owned where there was absolutely nothing I could pick at (and i'm very picky). no problems whatsoever. I have a friend who still drives his 1987 4runner 4cyl with over 400k miles so I expect the same sort of bulletproof-ness out of this. I hear this particular model is made at the Lexus plant in Japan which gives me more piece of mind knowing it's built to last. On the highway I'd also give this 5 stars...it accelerates quickly (very fast with the v8) and very smoothly. My only gripe is that the rear door is so heavy it literally takes both hands to push it closed but I guess I'd rather have that problem than an suv that was cheaply made. I test drove all sorts of vehicles in this class and by far this was my hands-down winner. resale value, reliability and safety in bad conditions just can't be beat. I was tempted by the Hummer H3 but with horrid reviews by consumer reports I stayed away and glad I did. Buy it, you'll love it too!"

Love My 4Runner

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"You can't go wrong with Toyota, and the 4Runner is no exception. Fit and finish is excellent, seats are very comfortable, handling is supreme, and its the perfect size for running around town or taking road trips. This is my third Toyota, and reliability is legendary. They always hold their value, and you'll neve have trouble selling it when you're ready for the next one."

Nice looking, but not comfy

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"I have had my 2006 4Runner for a little over a year now. It has 20,000 miles on it and runs good. It is a very stylish vehicle, but it is an SUV. It isn't as smooth a ride as a car. Mechanically it's been great. My only issues are the squeaking in the trunk area and also the back seat squeeks. Also, the driver's seat is very uncomfortable. It is very hard and mine only has a manual seat adjuster. You'd think they could have put a power seat in it since it's a $29,000 vehicle. Because of this I can't get comfortable no matter where I position the seat. Maybe it would be easier for a shorter person. Great vehicle, but I will be getting rid of it soon."