2009 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 856 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

My favorite 4x4 - 2003 4Runner Sport

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

"Pros: Reliable, spacious and capable. Cons: Gas mileage is 14 MPG and burns through brake pads. My 2003 4Runner Sport 4x4 has 108000 miles and is running strong. This is the last of the breed. Eight cylinders of pure power hence the brake pad issue. Enough room to move a house full of stuff."

Simply the best

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "A real Suv"

"This is my 3rd 4runner I have owned a 2000,2005, and now a 2008 all Limited my 2008 4runner comes with 4wd leather seats navigation system, back up camera, roof rack trailer hitch mp3 6 disc CD player 10 speakers 6 cup holders Sun roof cargo cover. Seat memory laminated side steps. All standard I have been fishing camping skiing with my 4runner if you need a vehicle that can take you any where trouble free driving the 4runner is for you the 4th generations have the best reliability rating so get a 2004-2009 and save yourself around $18000.00 for a new 4runner"

Dependable

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

"Most dependable vehicle I ever owned. In 8 years and 112K miles, the only failed part was a front signal light bulb, but yesterday I had the front rotors and calipers replaced due to stuck brake piston which warped the rotors. Rides very well, not like typical SUV. Quiet, never any rattles, squeaks, vibrations, etc. Criticisms include dash controls -- impossible to read when wearing polarized sunglasses. Needs a couple more inches of front legroom; new models have more. Wish it had 100K spark plugs. Toyota recommends change them at 30K but I've changed at 50K w/o problem. Rear brake pads are original and have half of pads left. No oil nor other fluid leaks. Never has failed to start immediately; never hesitated, missed, knocked, etc., and runs on any brand of regular. Confident it will go beyond 300K w/o major trouble."

Terrific value.

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "Economical, reliable, comfortable."

"This is my 3rd 4runner, and I have owned it since it was new. Other than routine maintenance, I have never had any problems with it (or the other two, either, for that matter.) The only reason I didn't give it a perfect "10" score is that the mileage could be a little better, and it has some issues in 4WD mode on wet, clay soils - i.e., it tends to slide. This is partly a tire issue, as the mud cakes the treds."

SAVE until you can afford it!!!

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "dependable"

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"Even if you have to settle for the 2WD and eat Ramen noodles for six months, save your money until you can afford one of these. Don't settle for anything else because every time you see one pass by you'll regret it. From time to time you might encounter a review from someone who complains about his 4th-Gen 4Runner, but I'd be willing to bet that he let his teenage son drive the heck out of it, failed to keep up with basic maintenance, or bought it secondhand from someone guilty of these offenses. The truth is that the 4Runner is the best SUV out there. Problems are few and far between, and usually pretty small: battery, alternator, window motor gear. The major systems on these things are bulletproof. It's not all fun and games owning one of these. You can expect dismal gas mileage. I get about 17.8 no matter what I do. The stats are a little sad when you see that the V6 Highlander gets better HP and gas mileage, but the torque on the T4R is pretty impressive. I know it's a stupid complaint, but I feel like the ride height is too low for the running boards but just a little too high to just step out comfortably - again, stupid complaint. The cargo capacity is a little disappointing when you consider how HUGE this truck is. And it is a truck on a truck frame (unlike the Highlander). The dash pads on these things ALL have cracks. This combined with the cassette player can make even the cleanest 4th Gen feel dated."

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

"The best car,never let me down, love it"

This 4Runner is definitely my best vehicle yet.

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable car, handles great, smooth ride."

Cons: "Gas mileage, crack in dashboard."

"I have owned this 4Runner for almost 10 years and have never had any mechanical problems with it. The only issue is a crack in the dashboard that started around the contours of the control panel and in time has traveled the length of the of the dashboard. I love the way the vehicle handles and the great ride. Only downside is the gas mileage. Plan to keep this car for as long as possible."

Awesome vehicle

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable"

"I purchased this vehicle new and I can't be more happy and satisfied with its quality and reliability. Besides a couple of tire changes,it only has been to the dealer once for a recall about the gas pedal getting stuck. I am buying a new one this year."

All-round reliable, flexible vehicle

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "reliability, towing and offroad features"

Cons: "No power seats"

"We bought this 4Runner new and have kept it so long because it has been so reliable and flexible and comfortable. We have taken good care of this vehicle and it has paid us back in 10 years of flawless service."

Best car i've ever owned

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "Not to many places it won't go"

Cons: "Would like a little better gas milage"

"Have had 10 years and haven't had any problems except with a/c. The condensor had a small hole in it. Also replaced water pump. Other than that all was routine maintance"

v/8 2nd.owner

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pros: "12500.00"

Cons: "good silver n.tires"

"I get tis truck from first qwner"

Best car I have ever owned by far.

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pros: "very comfortable and reliable"

Cons: "little cramped in front for my 6ft tall husband"

"I absolutely love this car!"

Best Decision Ever

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Great Drive, good amount of space, reliable"

Cons: "A little pricey on the gas"

"I purchsed this car in my mid 20's and thought it would be a good car for future needs with a family. Expecting to have a family a lot sooner than now I still wouldnt trade in my 4Runner for anything. This car has been reliable, durable, dependent, fun, sporty, manageable, and overall a wonderful investment and just the right amount of space when needed. I would recommend this car to anyone and everyone. In fact I did - and now my sister, brother and father all own one."

Very good value

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "Good power and functionality"

Cons: "Spongy brakes"

"Great vehicle! Just 2 negs: The brakes aren't that great, and I did have a cylinder leak in my 4.0 motor. Other than these 2 negs, it's been a great vehicle during the past 10 years."

The most awesome automobile EVER!

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Durability and performance."

Cons: "Um...?"

"Owned since new and will drive as long as it remains reliable. It has far exceeded expectations. Perfect to throw the canoe on top and go for weekend camping. Reasonable gas mileage for all that power. Not a moment's notice of problems during the entire time I've owned this vehicle. I looked after its maintenance and it has served me well. Great turning radius, easy to maneuver, all around solid performance!"

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, Comfort, Luxury, Capabilities"

Cons: "Price-Epensive. Get what you pay for!"

"Even when I sell my company and will be able to afford supercars, I would purchase nothing more than a 4Runner. The reliability, comfort, maitenance, convienence, capabilities for all terrain handling, visible features and appearances have absolutely awed me. I previously owned a VW Passat (4 door sport package), Ford F-150, Mercedes Benz (luxury edition) AMG, and a chevy Silverado 2500 super crew cab, the 4Runner absolutely smashes anything I have owned thus far. A great car whether you are buying as a starter for your kids, a traveling vehicle for the larger families, or your baby and goes everywhere you go, then the 4Runner is perfect for you! The best thing about it, it holds its value. Owned the car for 3 years now and drive it EVERYDAY (highway/city) the only problem I have encountered is your average monthly oil change and air filter. You couldn't make a better investment."

Hands Down... Best SUV Available.

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Great power, good handling in all conditions."

Cons: "Holds their value... but hey; owners love them!"

"I've owned quite a few 4x4 vehicles due to my proximity to the snowy mountains, and icy weather. I currently own a 2006 4Runner Limited ( V8, AWD ). I love this SUV. I have had one issue with the navigation head unit (JBL) getting CD's stuck, but was fixed by dealer upon purchase. It honestly goes anywhere I need to go, and doesn't have the maintenance costs that are associated with other Makes/modes. This is now my 5th Toyota, and hands down they'll keep getting my business with vehicles of this quality. Though... I'll probably drive this one till the air peels the panels off of it I love it so much! The V8 does have a timing belt, so be sure to ask if it has been changed! Will wear tires out a little faster than the RWD model due to the AWD function ( typical with most all AWD vehicles. ) True MPG from an owner: city-15mpg .. HWY-18.5-19mpg. Has a lot of pep, but you can get 20mpg on the highway if you stay out of the throttle and you're not in mountainous terrain. Good luck, and yes... this is a definite GREAT vehicle to consider for yourself, or even possibly a first time driver due to its forgiving nature, and well rounded safety and amenity features. One last note... Bravo Toyota; for still manufacturing vehicles that actually live up to their intended purpose, and then outlasting them!"

wonderful vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

"A most reliable vehicle"

Toyota reliability... Dependable..Great vehicle

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, Strong Engine, Great vehicle overall"

Cons: "Paint job, wind noise"

"2005 4Runner SR5 purchased in 09 w/75K as a certified vehicle. Currently, car has 155K after 5 years of ownership. Gas mileage at 20MPG mixed driving when using BF Goodrich brand. Tires were changed to Hankook at 135K, MPG dropped to 18MPG. No one can explain the drop in mileage.Have used KN Air filter, which (IMO) ruined the Mass Air Flow (MAF) twice after cleaning and using cleaning spray. Ended up replacing to regular air filter. Performed regular 5K oil replacement(DIY - Mobil1 Synthetic) and 100K transmission oil change(Stealer), also Coolant change(Stealer). Since this 05 has timing chain, did not change anything. Performed my own brake pads replacement. Did not perform any towing or off road so cannot give opinion on the ride. Highway is smooth but wind noise can be a bit loud due to height of vehicle. Drove Lexus 1997 LS400 and 2009 Lexus RX350, my 4Runner feels more power and stamina(Not to say those 2 vehicles are inferior but it's just a personal driving preference). Took the family to many trips including Panama City and taken to Vegas and Los Angeles recently, no problem. Overall, beside the regular maintenance, did not have any issue, omitting the error code for O2 sensor which happens to be MAF failure. Highly recommended. Car still drives like it was purchased 5 years ago. One notice, paint job is a bit thin can be easily chipped on highway. Paint job on a 2000 Avalon is much more solid and thicker. Then again, this car is 9 years old and everything still looks great."

95,000 trouble free miles so far!

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Safe, Stable"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I normally keep a car 4 to 5 years. This vehicle I will keep as long as it is still trouble free. It does everything well. Comfortable on the highway, solid and safe in snow or mud and easy to maneuver in the city. The selectable 4 wheel drive is so handy and convenient with shift on the fly. I have the sport version and the seats are a comfortable as many higher end vehicles I have driven. It is a little high for short drivers. The only thing that has failed in 95,000 was 1 coil pack. It was easy to repair and not real expensive. I wish Toyota had not changed the body style. I do not like the newer, larger 4 runner and would not consider one to replace this one. I have the V-6 and it has plenty of power and gets 18 mpg in combined driving( Exactly what the sticker said)"

I love this car but think it is time for a new one

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "dependable, comfortable, and stable."

Cons: "Needs to have the rear floor heater like the 2002."

"I have owned 4-Runners for the past 24 years. In that time I have owned 4 of them. The 3rd one I sold to my sister and she says it is her favorite car of all time. My next car is also going to be a 4-Runner.....obviously I love them and have never had any trouble with them. I live in the country and drive on gravel and being in Minnesota, I drive through snow and ice. This car is the best!!!!!"

I drove, played with this SUV for 7 years.

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Great on the highway and the national parks"

Cons: "Sorry no cons"

"I hate to let it go. It is like the day I bought it only better. I swear it got better w age. The paint is richer. Yes I buff and wax. The engine is flawless. I am lucky my son wanted to buy it, leaving me free to buy a new 4-runner. It is part of the family. The reason I rated over all 9.5 is because I like the sport ; but I like the options on the limited. So I did without heated seats and nav. I improvised."

Best car I ever owned ...

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

"This car (2006 4Runner LTD)has been a pleasure to drive and fun to own. The only extra (after-market) was a Alpine navigation system."

NOTHING HAS GONE WRONG! This car is the best!

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Great to drive. Normal maint. expense is all"

Cons: "Power seats not available. No back up camera"

"Tires lasted 75000 miles. Battery = 6.5 years. Feels like it could go 300,000 or more. Love to drive it. Engine,transmission and suspension are smooth and tight."

Loved this car from the moment I cought it new!

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Style, comfort, value, reliable, roomy"

Cons: "No navigation"

"Great body style and surprising comfort for a 4-wheel drive vehicle. I have never had a problem with this car."