2009 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 875 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

Solid performer, very reliable.

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Safe and secure handling, all weather machine"

Cons: "V8 Engine fuel economy-expect 15 mpg city, 18 hwy"

"I purchased the Toyota 4Runner new in 2004, and have not been disappointed with it. I own the SR5, full-time 4WD version with the 4.7L V8 and Class III towing package (rated for 7000 pounds). The engine runs smooth as silk, and has awesome torque and plenty of power. The first week I owned it I rescued daughter's Honda Civic from a muddy, snowy lot where the little Honda had sunk into the soft ground when the snow melted. Cool! I have used the 4Runner as a travel car, hauling machine (have pulled many trailers, some quite large), camping machine, and so forth. It is also my "bad weather" car - - I work over 30 miles away, and in KC road conditions go sour quite rapidly during winter storms - - the 4Runner has brought me home safely countless times during these storms, often passing droves of lesser cars and trucks stuck spinning their wheels on icy hills. This model also has Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), which is a great safety feature, and is now standard on many Toyota vehicles. It also has true 4-channel Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), which gives safe and sure stops even when the roads are slick. (Remember, these systems can't change the laws of physics, but Toyota has seamlessly implemented these systems such that the car really works with the driver to maintain control when things get squeamish.) The 4Runner is also quite capable off road; I can personally attest to that, and have put quite a few trail miles on it, some in very icy and snowy weather, where this machine really excels. The 4Runner will patiently and comfortably navigate off-road terrain all day long. Just an aside, the 4Runner is part of the dwindling breed of body-on-frame SUVs. This construction is very rugged and is built to stand up to off-road use as well as heavy-duty towing. The 4Runner has double sets of rubber seals on all doors, and even a set under the hood, which makes for quiet running. The primary con for this vehicle is its fuel economy...but that is true for any true SUV, and the 4Runnner really is very efficient for its size and capabilities. Keep the oil changed (the 4.7L V8 runs very clean, I might add), and very important, don't "cold cycle" the engine. (If you start it on a cold morning, don't shut it off until it has run at least 5 minutes, as the EFI system pumps lots of fuel in for cold starts, which can impair cylinder wall lubrication if the engine is shut off before this fuel can be burnt or expelled from the engine. This is true for most EFI vehicles, but critical in this one, where lubrication is crucial.)"

GREAT GREAT GREAT

By on Monday, October 22, 2007

"I have had my 2004 4Runner since November of 2003. It has never been to the shop for a repair other than normal maintenance. I want a new car because I have 98,000 miles on it and I have always traded my cars in after 3 years or so but can't come up with a reason to trade it in. I am going to keep it for a while longer just to see how much longer it is going to be problem free. I have never owned a car for this long. It is just about as close to perfect as you can get in every way."

This car saved my daughters life

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

"8 Weeks ago we bought our daughter a 07 4Ruunner Limited, wonderful car. Friday a week ago while driving to school she was TBoned into the drivers door, side curtain and side seat air bags deployed, vehicle totaled, she walked away without a scratch, shaken but unharmed. Once we settle with insurance I am going to buy her another just like it."

Absolutely the Best

By on Monday, February 16, 2009

"Bought our 2004 V8 4 Runner used with 14,000 miles on it. Traded a Jeep and what a huge difference!! This car is so much more comfortable and even though my Jeep was a 6 cylinder, the 4 Runner V8 gets better gas mileage. Because I live in the mountains, need 4WD and this vehicle is superior. Would highly recommend this vehicle. Only complaint was the tires. Had to replace them twice and now have Michelin instead of Dunlop and problem solved."

Simply the best

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "A real Suv"

"This is my 3rd 4runner I have owned a 2000,2005, and now a 2008 all Limited my 2008 4runner comes with 4wd leather seats navigation system, back up camera, roof rack trailer hitch mp3 6 disc CD player 10 speakers 6 cup holders Sun roof cargo cover. Seat memory laminated side steps. All standard I have been fishing camping skiing with my 4runner if you need a vehicle that can take you any where trouble free driving the 4runner is for you the 4th generations have the best reliability rating so get a 2004-2009 and save yourself around $18000.00 for a new 4runner"