2009 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 873 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

Solid performer, very reliable.

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Safe and secure handling, all weather machine"

Cons: "V8 Engine fuel economy-expect 15 mpg city, 18 hwy"

"I purchased the Toyota 4Runner new in 2004, and have not been disappointed with it. I own the SR5, full-time 4WD version with the 4.7L V8 and Class III towing package (rated for 7000 pounds). The engine runs smooth as silk, and has awesome torque and plenty of power. The first week I owned it I rescued daughter's Honda Civic from a muddy, snowy lot where the little Honda had sunk into the soft ground when the snow melted. Cool! I have used the 4Runner as a travel car, hauling machine (have pulled many trailers, some quite large), camping machine, and so forth. It is also my "bad weather" car - - I work over 30 miles away, and in KC road conditions go sour quite rapidly during winter storms - - the 4Runner has brought me home safely countless times during these storms, often passing droves of lesser cars and trucks stuck spinning their wheels on icy hills. This model also has Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), which is a great safety feature, and is now standard on many Toyota vehicles. It also has true 4-channel Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), which gives safe and sure stops even when the roads are slick. (Remember, these systems can't change the laws of physics, but Toyota has seamlessly implemented these systems such that the car really works with the driver to maintain control when things get squeamish.) The 4Runner is also quite capable off road; I can personally attest to that, and have put quite a few trail miles on it, some in very icy and snowy weather, where this machine really excels. The 4Runner will patiently and comfortably navigate off-road terrain all day long. Just an aside, the 4Runner is part of the dwindling breed of body-on-frame SUVs. This construction is very rugged and is built to stand up to off-road use as well as heavy-duty towing. The 4Runner has double sets of rubber seals on all doors, and even a set under the hood, which makes for quiet running. The primary con for this vehicle is its fuel economy...but that is true for any true SUV, and the 4Runnner really is very efficient for its size and capabilities. Keep the oil changed (the 4.7L V8 runs very clean, I might add), and very important, don't "cold cycle" the engine. (If you start it on a cold morning, don't shut it off until it has run at least 5 minutes, as the EFI system pumps lots of fuel in for cold starts, which can impair cylinder wall lubrication if the engine is shut off before this fuel can be burnt or expelled from the engine. This is true for most EFI vehicles, but critical in this one, where lubrication is crucial.)"

GREAT GREAT GREAT

By on Monday, October 22, 2007

"I have had my 2004 4Runner since November of 2003. It has never been to the shop for a repair other than normal maintenance. I want a new car because I have 98,000 miles on it and I have always traded my cars in after 3 years or so but can't come up with a reason to trade it in. I am going to keep it for a while longer just to see how much longer it is going to be problem free. I have never owned a car for this long. It is just about as close to perfect as you can get in every way."

This car saved my daughters life

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

"8 Weeks ago we bought our daughter a 07 4Ruunner Limited, wonderful car. Friday a week ago while driving to school she was TBoned into the drivers door, side curtain and side seat air bags deployed, vehicle totaled, she walked away without a scratch, shaken but unharmed. Once we settle with insurance I am going to buy her another just like it."

Absolutely the Best

By on Monday, February 16, 2009

"Bought our 2004 V8 4 Runner used with 14,000 miles on it. Traded a Jeep and what a huge difference!! This car is so much more comfortable and even though my Jeep was a 6 cylinder, the 4 Runner V8 gets better gas mileage. Because I live in the mountains, need 4WD and this vehicle is superior. Would highly recommend this vehicle. Only complaint was the tires. Had to replace them twice and now have Michelin instead of Dunlop and problem solved."

Simply the best

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "A real Suv"

"This is my 3rd 4runner I have owned a 2000,2005, and now a 2008 all Limited my 2008 4runner comes with 4wd leather seats navigation system, back up camera, roof rack trailer hitch mp3 6 disc CD player 10 speakers 6 cup holders Sun roof cargo cover. Seat memory laminated side steps. All standard I have been fishing camping skiing with my 4runner if you need a vehicle that can take you any where trouble free driving the 4runner is for you the 4th generations have the best reliability rating so get a 2004-2009 and save yourself around $18000.00 for a new 4runner"

This 4Runner is definitely my best vehicle yet.

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable car, handles great, smooth ride."

Cons: "Gas mileage, crack in dashboard."

"I have owned this 4Runner for almost 10 years and have never had any mechanical problems with it. The only issue is a crack in the dashboard that started around the contours of the control panel and in time has traveled the length of the of the dashboard. I love the way the vehicle handles and the great ride. Only downside is the gas mileage. Plan to keep this car for as long as possible."

The most awesome automobile EVER!

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Durability and performance."

Cons: "Um...?"

"Owned since new and will drive as long as it remains reliable. It has far exceeded expectations. Perfect to throw the canoe on top and go for weekend camping. Reasonable gas mileage for all that power. Not a moment's notice of problems during the entire time I've owned this vehicle. I looked after its maintenance and it has served me well. Great turning radius, easy to maneuver, all around solid performance!"

Hands Down... Best SUV Available.

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Great power, good handling in all conditions."

Cons: "Holds their value... but hey; owners love them!"

"I've owned quite a few 4x4 vehicles due to my proximity to the snowy mountains, and icy weather. I currently own a 2006 4Runner Limited ( V8, AWD ). I love this SUV. I have had one issue with the navigation head unit (JBL) getting CD's stuck, but was fixed by dealer upon purchase. It honestly goes anywhere I need to go, and doesn't have the maintenance costs that are associated with other Makes/modes. This is now my 5th Toyota, and hands down they'll keep getting my business with vehicles of this quality. Though... I'll probably drive this one till the air peels the panels off of it I love it so much! The V8 does have a timing belt, so be sure to ask if it has been changed! Will wear tires out a little faster than the RWD model due to the AWD function ( typical with most all AWD vehicles. ) True MPG from an owner: city-15mpg .. HWY-18.5-19mpg. Has a lot of pep, but you can get 20mpg on the highway if you stay out of the throttle and you're not in mountainous terrain. Good luck, and yes... this is a definite GREAT vehicle to consider for yourself, or even possibly a first time driver due to its forgiving nature, and well rounded safety and amenity features. One last note... Bravo Toyota; for still manufacturing vehicles that actually live up to their intended purpose, and then outlasting them!"

Great vehicle + absolutely recommend

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "reliable, safe, 4x4 is the best"

Cons: "some blindspots"

"I have a 2004, v6. The only complaint I have is the road noise can be a bit loud, but not a big deal. Otherwise, I bought it for its reliability, safety, and resale value, and I'm super pleased with it. I've owned it for 50,000 miles without any problems or repairs except for 1 rusted out brake caliper. It still looks almost new inside and out. I see a few reviews complaining about the inside not having enough bells and whistles--I actually like not having a ton of extra stuff that I wouldn't use anyway, and I appreciate the simple buttons that I can use without having to look down. The 4x4 is hands down the best for in town slippery driving and the minor off roading that I might encounter--buy decent tires to realize the most the car has to offer in that regard. I really like that you can just keep in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement when it is sort of iffy whether you actually need 4 wheel drive. Cargo space is great. Tall people may have an issue--I'm 6'2" and have the seat as low as it will go and it works, but there isn't much headroom left. The towing on the v6 is fine--I tow a boat and it handles just fine. I also do all of my own maintenance and everything is very easy to reach and simple to understand and work on. It is a fantastic vehicle and the best suv I've ever owned."

Love this 4Runner

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Total reliability, great space, versatile"

Cons: "Seats - get power."

"We bought this 4Runner (V8, 4wd, SR5, towing package,) new almost 10 years ago and have loved it ever since. It has run like a charm through years of towing a horse trailer, hauling household good, dirt roads, mountain roads, you name it, from one end of the country to the other. And I can still wash and vacuum it up and it looks good! Now that we are retired, we were thinking of trading it in for a pickup truck so we can haul a 5th wheel camper. But the thought of being without our 4runner makes us nervous! This is the best vehicle we have ever owned."