2008 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 875 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

Solid performer, very reliable.

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Safe and secure handling, all weather machine"

Cons: "V8 Engine fuel economy-expect 15 mpg city, 18 hwy"

"I purchased the Toyota 4Runner new in 2004, and have not been disappointed with it. I own the SR5, full-time 4WD version with the 4.7L V8 and Class III towing package (rated for 7000 pounds). The engine runs smooth as silk, and has awesome torque and plenty of power. The first week I owned it I rescued daughter's Honda Civic from a muddy, snowy lot where the little Honda had sunk into the soft ground when the snow melted. Cool! I have used the 4Runner as a travel car, hauling machine (have pulled many trailers, some quite large), camping machine, and so forth. It is also my "bad weather" car - - I work over 30 miles away, and in KC road conditions go sour quite rapidly during winter storms - - the 4Runner has brought me home safely countless times during these storms, often passing droves of lesser cars and trucks stuck spinning their wheels on icy hills. This model also has Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), which is a great safety feature, and is now standard on many Toyota vehicles. It also has true 4-channel Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), which gives safe and sure stops even when the roads are slick. (Remember, these systems can't change the laws of physics, but Toyota has seamlessly implemented these systems such that the car really works with the driver to maintain control when things get squeamish.) The 4Runner is also quite capable off road; I can personally attest to that, and have put quite a few trail miles on it, some in very icy and snowy weather, where this machine really excels. The 4Runner will patiently and comfortably navigate off-road terrain all day long. Just an aside, the 4Runner is part of the dwindling breed of body-on-frame SUVs. This construction is very rugged and is built to stand up to off-road use as well as heavy-duty towing. The 4Runner has double sets of rubber seals on all doors, and even a set under the hood, which makes for quiet running. The primary con for this vehicle is its fuel economy...but that is true for any true SUV, and the 4Runnner really is very efficient for its size and capabilities. Keep the oil changed (the 4.7L V8 runs very clean, I might add), and very important, don't "cold cycle" the engine. (If you start it on a cold morning, don't shut it off until it has run at least 5 minutes, as the EFI system pumps lots of fuel in for cold starts, which can impair cylinder wall lubrication if the engine is shut off before this fuel can be burnt or expelled from the engine. This is true for most EFI vehicles, but critical in this one, where lubrication is crucial.)"

GREAT GREAT GREAT

By on Monday, October 22, 2007

"I have had my 2004 4Runner since November of 2003. It has never been to the shop for a repair other than normal maintenance. I want a new car because I have 98,000 miles on it and I have always traded my cars in after 3 years or so but can't come up with a reason to trade it in. I am going to keep it for a while longer just to see how much longer it is going to be problem free. I have never owned a car for this long. It is just about as close to perfect as you can get in every way."

This car saved my daughters life

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

"8 Weeks ago we bought our daughter a 07 4Ruunner Limited, wonderful car. Friday a week ago while driving to school she was TBoned into the drivers door, side curtain and side seat air bags deployed, vehicle totaled, she walked away without a scratch, shaken but unharmed. Once we settle with insurance I am going to buy her another just like it."

Absolutely the Best

By on Monday, February 16, 2009

"Bought our 2004 V8 4 Runner used with 14,000 miles on it. Traded a Jeep and what a huge difference!! This car is so much more comfortable and even though my Jeep was a 6 cylinder, the 4 Runner V8 gets better gas mileage. Because I live in the mountains, need 4WD and this vehicle is superior. Would highly recommend this vehicle. Only complaint was the tires. Had to replace them twice and now have Michelin instead of Dunlop and problem solved."

Simply the best

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "A real Suv"

"This is my 3rd 4runner I have owned a 2000,2005, and now a 2008 all Limited my 2008 4runner comes with 4wd leather seats navigation system, back up camera, roof rack trailer hitch mp3 6 disc CD player 10 speakers 6 cup holders Sun roof cargo cover. Seat memory laminated side steps. All standard I have been fishing camping skiing with my 4runner if you need a vehicle that can take you any where trouble free driving the 4runner is for you the 4th generations have the best reliability rating so get a 2004-2009 and save yourself around $18000.00 for a new 4runner"

This 4Runner is definitely my best vehicle yet.

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable car, handles great, smooth ride."

Cons: "Gas mileage, crack in dashboard."

"I have owned this 4Runner for almost 10 years and have never had any mechanical problems with it. The only issue is a crack in the dashboard that started around the contours of the control panel and in time has traveled the length of the of the dashboard. I love the way the vehicle handles and the great ride. Only downside is the gas mileage. Plan to keep this car for as long as possible."

The most awesome automobile EVER!

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Durability and performance."

Cons: "Um...?"

"Owned since new and will drive as long as it remains reliable. It has far exceeded expectations. Perfect to throw the canoe on top and go for weekend camping. Reasonable gas mileage for all that power. Not a moment's notice of problems during the entire time I've owned this vehicle. I looked after its maintenance and it has served me well. Great turning radius, easy to maneuver, all around solid performance!"

Hands Down... Best SUV Available.

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Great power, good handling in all conditions."

Cons: "Holds their value... but hey; owners love them!"

"I've owned quite a few 4x4 vehicles due to my proximity to the snowy mountains, and icy weather. I currently own a 2006 4Runner Limited ( V8, AWD ). I love this SUV. I have had one issue with the navigation head unit (JBL) getting CD's stuck, but was fixed by dealer upon purchase. It honestly goes anywhere I need to go, and doesn't have the maintenance costs that are associated with other Makes/modes. This is now my 5th Toyota, and hands down they'll keep getting my business with vehicles of this quality. Though... I'll probably drive this one till the air peels the panels off of it I love it so much! The V8 does have a timing belt, so be sure to ask if it has been changed! Will wear tires out a little faster than the RWD model due to the AWD function ( typical with most all AWD vehicles. ) True MPG from an owner: city-15mpg .. HWY-18.5-19mpg. Has a lot of pep, but you can get 20mpg on the highway if you stay out of the throttle and you're not in mountainous terrain. Good luck, and yes... this is a definite GREAT vehicle to consider for yourself, or even possibly a first time driver due to its forgiving nature, and well rounded safety and amenity features. One last note... Bravo Toyota; for still manufacturing vehicles that actually live up to their intended purpose, and then outlasting them!"

Great vehicle + absolutely recommend

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "reliable, safe, 4x4 is the best"

Cons: "some blindspots"

"I have a 2004, v6. The only complaint I have is the road noise can be a bit loud, but not a big deal. Otherwise, I bought it for its reliability, safety, and resale value, and I'm super pleased with it. I've owned it for 50,000 miles without any problems or repairs except for 1 rusted out brake caliper. It still looks almost new inside and out. I see a few reviews complaining about the inside not having enough bells and whistles--I actually like not having a ton of extra stuff that I wouldn't use anyway, and I appreciate the simple buttons that I can use without having to look down. The 4x4 is hands down the best for in town slippery driving and the minor off roading that I might encounter--buy decent tires to realize the most the car has to offer in that regard. I really like that you can just keep in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement when it is sort of iffy whether you actually need 4 wheel drive. Cargo space is great. Tall people may have an issue--I'm 6'2" and have the seat as low as it will go and it works, but there isn't much headroom left. The towing on the v6 is fine--I tow a boat and it handles just fine. I also do all of my own maintenance and everything is very easy to reach and simple to understand and work on. It is a fantastic vehicle and the best suv I've ever owned."

Love this 4Runner

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Total reliability, great space, versatile"

Cons: "Seats - get power."

"We bought this 4Runner (V8, 4wd, SR5, towing package,) new almost 10 years ago and have loved it ever since. It has run like a charm through years of towing a horse trailer, hauling household good, dirt roads, mountain roads, you name it, from one end of the country to the other. And I can still wash and vacuum it up and it looks good! Now that we are retired, we were thinking of trading it in for a pickup truck so we can haul a 5th wheel camper. But the thought of being without our 4runner makes us nervous! This is the best vehicle we have ever owned."

Great Vehicle a few problems

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, hard working, dependable, long lastin"

Cons: "After 100K had some minor problems"

"My 5th Toyota, second 4Runner. The 2006 was not as perfect as the 3 Tacomas and 2000 4 Runner, but it was no disapointment either. She drove trouble free for 125,000 miles, was comfortable and driven off road early and often on rugged construction sites and dirt trail terrain. After 125K,the exhaust system kept throwing engine codes for emissions despite catalyst replacement. When the engine light comes on, the Vehicle Stability Control and Traction control lights come on simultaneously and these systems are disabled until the code is reset/ erased- a potential safety hazard. When the front struts failed at 100,000+ miles, hard braking became dangerous as the front end sunk hard and bounced back up repeatedly. I STRONGLY recommend replacement at Toyota interval to avoid this problem. The factory battery was unbelievable. With no maintenance, it lasted 6.5 years and only died because I played CD's all day with doors open and interior lights on. The backlight failed on the information display at 87K mi which was annoying but not fatal. Tire life was good-- 40-60K with heavy off road use that tends to knock front end out of alignment. Heated seats were great, leather held up very well. Overall a great SUV. I will be trading her in for a Tacoma soon."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Saturday, December 01, 2007

"The 4-Runner is a superb vehicle. i get 20 mpg on the highway using middle grade gas, and it's V-8 with all-wheel drive. the only issue i have is the Dunlop tires -- could never get them properly balanced. i have since put on a set of Michelin Cross-Terrains, and what a difference. the traction is unsurpassed, and it runs super quiet. after getting a lemon Nissan Frontier and an Isuzu Rodeo, it seems good to have something dependable. no repairs at all - just normal maintainance. the Nissan blew the transmission the second day i had it, and the Isuzu had a laundry list of problems. buy a 4-Runner and it will last forever."

Totally worth it

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"I've had this vehicle for almost 3 years now and it has totally exceeded my expectations. The 4.7 Liter V-8 is smooth, powerful, and I routinely get 18 mpg. Not bad for a V-8 SUV with a full time 4-wheel drive system. That 4-wheel drive system is seemless and inspires confidence when the roads get slippery. Last year I went skiing with a bunch of friends and we drove several cars. Everyone was remarking about how bad the roads had been on the way up to the ski resort. I had been driving my 4-Runner and was totally surprised, since I hadn't even been able to tell. That's how smooth this vehicle is. What a great buy."

Great for dog owners!

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Size, rear window, sunroof, hauling"

"I bought 2004 SR5 with V6 2 wheel drive used with a bad head gasket and catalytic converter :( Drove it with the slight head gasket problem for 2 years until the check engine light started flashing. Replaced head gasket for $2700 (not at the dealership). Only other problem I have had was it overheated once when the tube that sucks coolant out of the overflow and back to the radiator fell off in the overflow container. Last year my dash got cracks from being left in the sun all day in the GA summer. Still best vehicle I've owned. I've hauled 4 kayaks in it! 2 on top, 2 in the rear window! Looks great. AVG 21 mpg combined. It's supposed to drive like a truck. It's not your mommy's SUV. I love driving it, especially with the back window down and sunroof open and my dog in the back with his head out the window, ears flapping in the wind! I'll drive it til the wheels fall off! It's a good size. Not too small (I feel safe). Not obnoxiously big either."

Way better than new 4runners

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "better mileage than newer, same weight vehicles"

Cons: "After 10 years the undercarriage starting to rust"

"This car is small enough to park, big enough to 4wheel, Gets WAY better mileage than the new ones, can fit a bike inside, gets up to speed from a light without being loud and gunning to engine unnecessarily (can't do that in the comparable suv's anymore).The solid running boards let you load the roof rack easily and don't disappear when you turn the car on. Plus you can store 'stuff' on them until you get home (dog owners you know what this could be). Has a sliding visor mirror covers so you don't have to duck to see in the mirror. Has controls for the interior lights, rather than having ALL the lights come on at once. The daytime running lights in orange are more noticeable than just another vehicle with headlights on in the daytime. The ac is super cold, I've noticed in the new 4runners the ac isn't cold enough to cool the inside of the vehicle. Love this year of 4runners. Wish I had it with 0 miles again. Plus it doesn't look like a drooling dog. (Sorry folks)"

NOTHING HAS GONE WRONG! This car is the best!

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Great to drive. Normal maint. expense is all"

Cons: "Power seats not available. No back up camera"

"Tires lasted 75000 miles. Battery = 6.5 years. Feels like it could go 300,000 or more. Love to drive it. Engine,transmission and suspension are smooth and tight."

Best SUV i ever owned out of 4.

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Everything about it."

Cons: "Not a one."

"My Toyota 4runner limited is by far the most reliable vehicle i ever had. I would buy another one if this one ever wears out. Though not likely. 160000 miles and everything still works like new. Will run it until the wheels fall off. Then put them back on and run it again."

Perfect for road trips!

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, reliable, good lines, solid, no rattles"

Cons: "gas mileage in town could be better"

"Bought the 4Runner so I could take wife and two Boxers on the road. Could not have made a better choice. I have never had this vehicle in the shop. I just change the tires, oil and other fluids and it goes and goes and goes. None of the little electrical glitches or broken controls you might expect in an almost 10 year old vehicle. Great quality vehicle and it still looks good!"

Awesome SUV except......

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride, mtc free vehicle, reliable"

Cons: "Cracking dash board w no warranty"

"Had this 2003 for approx 5 up years. Replaced fluids regularly, and new brakes at 90,000 miles. I had the injectors cleaned at 100,000 mile dealer service . Runs like new. At 100,000 miles I replaced the tires, but the shocks and suspension are still factory. The v6 has a timing chain, so only the 4x4 v8 model needs a timing belt replacement at 100,00 miles. My only complaint....... DASHBOARD cracking.. Most of the 2003-05 models have them, all in the same places....Toyota doesn't warranty the dash. Otherwise, it's just awesome"

4Runner is great but not for everyone

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "Can't beat the 4WD system."

Cons: "Ride is not the best."

"We live in the Sierra mountains in California. The 4Runner proves itself with it's true 4WD system in the snow and ice. We use the locking center differential often on slippery conditions and it just plows through. However, you do need compatible tires so we have our 3rd set of Michelin Mountain tires on the 4Runner. Ride is not great: bouncy, harsh at times. But this is not your phoo-phoo crossover SUV. It is a true 4WD truck like vehicle and that makes it tough. Whether using it off road in the summer to get to our fishing spot or running it through snow in winter. Dependability had been excellent. Our OEM Panasonic battery lasted 160,000 miles (8.5 years)! We had to replace front axel seals on both sides due to bearing failure. But the mechanic said it was probably due to hitting a deer some 9 months earlier as he never seen front axel bearings fail before. Other than that we have had an annoying driver's side mirror that vibrates. I would buy again. But if you are looking for a smooth riding SUV, look elsewhere."

A true love affair

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "Handles well, rides well for a truck based vehicle"

Cons: "Highway wander and gas milage"

"Have owned my 2003 4runner for ten yrs. now and Evan though its a second car it has never let me down. I feel the looks are much better than the new generation 4runner. 4runners have always held there value which makes it all that much better. I have driven the new generation 4runner and don't feel it hold a candle to mine. Thanks for your time."

Ultimate Reliability

By on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Pros: "Great price range and minimum maintenance cost."

Cons: "no mp3 interface."

"150K miles (8 years) and I've changed nothing but the front brakes, tires, one parking light bulb and the battery. No rattling noises and suspension is still superb. Fuel consumption was better than advertised and has held steady."

Best Truck Based SUV for the money

By on Wednesday, March 03, 2010

"Nothing touches this car in the arena of mid sized truck based suvs. Reason being, it has decent fuel economy, amazing in the snow, extremely smooth ride, great lines, huge wheels and tires, and more appealing options than most trucks offer at the limited trim (I own an SR5). If you want something close to it in terms of reliability and resale, get a Pilot. But all around this thing is ridiculous. It took me a year of searches, 7 test drives, and about a hundred hours to finally get one with both low mileage and a decent price. The single best indicator you know you are getting an amazing truck...you can find ones for sale that are 20 years old with over 250,000 miles that still have actual value. This is the honda accord/toyota camry of SUVs. Unreal."

Best vehicle I've ever had!

By on Friday, March 28, 2008

"I bought my 2004 V8 silver Sport edition off a friend/Toyota salesman. He traded it in for a Tundra to pull his fishing boat and now he really regrets selling it. The handling in snow is incredible with the traction control and ABS. The only thing it will skid on is ice and greasy slop on a steep decline. I took it down a severely washed-out and unmaintained dirt road during and after flooding. I was a scarey ride but the 4-Runner performed as well in the rough as it did on the pavement. I've test driven a Porche Cayenne on a off-road test track and I felt as safe in my 4-runner! I can get 20 mpg at 75 highway, 22 mpg at 65 and 25 mpg at 55. Very pleased! Smooth, quiet and powerful engine makes long rides a pleasure. Quick acelleration pins me to the seat and the anti-roll stabilizer keeps me centered in my seat in sharp fast turns. My wife complains about the leg room configuration on the passengers side but at 6' tall I have so much leg room that I have to pull the seat forward. I'll keep this one for at least 10 yrs!"

The Best

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

"I researched SUV's for nearly 3 years before going with a 4Runner. They are simply the best option when you consider Value, Quality, Reliability, Style, and Praticality. You know you've got a dependable vehicle when you go with a Toyota. The combination of performance and quality that the 4Runner delivers is unmatched in the mid-sized SUV class. I love my 4Runner!"