2008 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 882 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

The most awesome automobile EVER!

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Durability and performance."

Cons: "Um...?"

"Owned since new and will drive as long as it remains reliable. It has far exceeded expectations. Perfect to throw the canoe on top and go for weekend camping. Reasonable gas mileage for all that power. Not a moment's notice of problems during the entire time I've owned this vehicle. I looked after its maintenance and it has served me well. Great turning radius, easy to maneuver, all around solid performance!"

Great vehicle + absolutely recommend

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "reliable, safe, 4x4 is the best"

Cons: "some blindspots"

"I have a 2004, v6. The only complaint I have is the road noise can be a bit loud, but not a big deal. Otherwise, I bought it for its reliability, safety, and resale value, and I'm super pleased with it. I've owned it for 50,000 miles without any problems or repairs except for 1 rusted out brake caliper. It still looks almost new inside and out. I see a few reviews complaining about the inside not having enough bells and whistles--I actually like not having a ton of extra stuff that I wouldn't use anyway, and I appreciate the simple buttons that I can use without having to look down. The 4x4 is hands down the best for in town slippery driving and the minor off roading that I might encounter--buy decent tires to realize the most the car has to offer in that regard. I really like that you can just keep in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement when it is sort of iffy whether you actually need 4 wheel drive. Cargo space is great. Tall people may have an issue--I'm 6'2" and have the seat as low as it will go and it works, but there isn't much headroom left. The towing on the v6 is fine--I tow a boat and it handles just fine. I also do all of my own maintenance and everything is very easy to reach and simple to understand and work on. It is a fantastic vehicle and the best suv I've ever owned."

This 4Runner is definitely my best vehicle yet.

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable car, handles great, smooth ride."

Cons: "Gas mileage, crack in dashboard."

"I have owned this 4Runner for almost 10 years and have never had any mechanical problems with it. The only issue is a crack in the dashboard that started around the contours of the control panel and in time has traveled the length of the of the dashboard. I love the way the vehicle handles and the great ride. Only downside is the gas mileage. Plan to keep this car for as long as possible."

Love this 4Runner

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Total reliability, great space, versatile"

Cons: "Seats - get power."

"We bought this 4Runner (V8, 4wd, SR5, towing package,) new almost 10 years ago and have loved it ever since. It has run like a charm through years of towing a horse trailer, hauling household good, dirt roads, mountain roads, you name it, from one end of the country to the other. And I can still wash and vacuum it up and it looks good! Now that we are retired, we were thinking of trading it in for a pickup truck so we can haul a 5th wheel camper. But the thought of being without our 4runner makes us nervous! This is the best vehicle we have ever owned."

Great Vehicle a few problems

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, hard working, dependable, long lastin"

Cons: "After 100K had some minor problems"

"My 5th Toyota, second 4Runner. The 2006 was not as perfect as the 3 Tacomas and 2000 4 Runner, but it was no disapointment either. She drove trouble free for 125,000 miles, was comfortable and driven off road early and often on rugged construction sites and dirt trail terrain. After 125K,the exhaust system kept throwing engine codes for emissions despite catalyst replacement. When the engine light comes on, the Vehicle Stability Control and Traction control lights come on simultaneously and these systems are disabled until the code is reset/ erased- a potential safety hazard. When the front struts failed at 100,000+ miles, hard braking became dangerous as the front end sunk hard and bounced back up repeatedly. I STRONGLY recommend replacement at Toyota interval to avoid this problem. The factory battery was unbelievable. With no maintenance, it lasted 6.5 years and only died because I played CD's all day with doors open and interior lights on. The backlight failed on the information display at 87K mi which was annoying but not fatal. Tire life was good-- 40-60K with heavy off road use that tends to knock front end out of alignment. Heated seats were great, leather held up very well. Overall a great SUV. I will be trading her in for a Tacoma soon."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Saturday, December 01, 2007

"The 4-Runner is a superb vehicle. i get 20 mpg on the highway using middle grade gas, and it's V-8 with all-wheel drive. the only issue i have is the Dunlop tires -- could never get them properly balanced. i have since put on a set of Michelin Cross-Terrains, and what a difference. the traction is unsurpassed, and it runs super quiet. after getting a lemon Nissan Frontier and an Isuzu Rodeo, it seems good to have something dependable. no repairs at all - just normal maintainance. the Nissan blew the transmission the second day i had it, and the Isuzu had a laundry list of problems. buy a 4-Runner and it will last forever."

Totally worth it

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"I've had this vehicle for almost 3 years now and it has totally exceeded my expectations. The 4.7 Liter V-8 is smooth, powerful, and I routinely get 18 mpg. Not bad for a V-8 SUV with a full time 4-wheel drive system. That 4-wheel drive system is seemless and inspires confidence when the roads get slippery. Last year I went skiing with a bunch of friends and we drove several cars. Everyone was remarking about how bad the roads had been on the way up to the ski resort. I had been driving my 4-Runner and was totally surprised, since I hadn't even been able to tell. That's how smooth this vehicle is. What a great buy."

Great for dog owners!

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Size, rear window, sunroof, hauling"

"I bought 2004 SR5 with V6 2 wheel drive used with a bad head gasket and catalytic converter :( Drove it with the slight head gasket problem for 2 years until the check engine light started flashing. Replaced head gasket for $2700 (not at the dealership). Only other problem I have had was it overheated once when the tube that sucks coolant out of the overflow and back to the radiator fell off in the overflow container. Last year my dash got cracks from being left in the sun all day in the GA summer. Still best vehicle I've owned. I've hauled 4 kayaks in it! 2 on top, 2 in the rear window! Looks great. AVG 21 mpg combined. It's supposed to drive like a truck. It's not your mommy's SUV. I love driving it, especially with the back window down and sunroof open and my dog in the back with his head out the window, ears flapping in the wind! I'll drive it til the wheels fall off! It's a good size. Not too small (I feel safe). Not obnoxiously big either."

Way better than new 4runners

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "better mileage than newer, same weight vehicles"

Cons: "After 10 years the undercarriage starting to rust"

"This car is small enough to park, big enough to 4wheel, Gets WAY better mileage than the new ones, can fit a bike inside, gets up to speed from a light without being loud and gunning to engine unnecessarily (can't do that in the comparable suv's anymore).The solid running boards let you load the roof rack easily and don't disappear when you turn the car on. Plus you can store 'stuff' on them until you get home (dog owners you know what this could be). Has a sliding visor mirror covers so you don't have to duck to see in the mirror. Has controls for the interior lights, rather than having ALL the lights come on at once. The daytime running lights in orange are more noticeable than just another vehicle with headlights on in the daytime. The ac is super cold, I've noticed in the new 4runners the ac isn't cold enough to cool the inside of the vehicle. Love this year of 4runners. Wish I had it with 0 miles again. Plus it doesn't look like a drooling dog. (Sorry folks)"

NOTHING HAS GONE WRONG! This car is the best!

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Great to drive. Normal maint. expense is all"

Cons: "Power seats not available. No back up camera"

"Tires lasted 75000 miles. Battery = 6.5 years. Feels like it could go 300,000 or more. Love to drive it. Engine,transmission and suspension are smooth and tight."