2005 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 898 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

Great Vehicle a few problems

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, hard working, dependable, long lastin"

Cons: "After 100K had some minor problems"

"My 5th Toyota, second 4Runner. The 2006 was not as perfect as the 3 Tacomas and 2000 4 Runner, but it was no disapointment either. She drove trouble free for 125,000 miles, was comfortable and driven off road early and often on rugged construction sites and dirt trail terrain. After 125K,the exhaust system kept throwing engine codes for emissions despite catalyst replacement. When the engine light comes on, the Vehicle Stability Control and Traction control lights come on simultaneously and these systems are disabled until the code is reset/ erased- a potential safety hazard. When the front struts failed at 100,000+ miles, hard braking became dangerous as the front end sunk hard and bounced back up repeatedly. I STRONGLY recommend replacement at Toyota interval to avoid this problem. The factory battery was unbelievable. With no maintenance, it lasted 6.5 years and only died because I played CD's all day with doors open and interior lights on. The backlight failed on the information display at 87K mi which was annoying but not fatal. Tire life was good-- 40-60K with heavy off road use that tends to knock front end out of alignment. Heated seats were great, leather held up very well. Overall a great SUV. I will be trading her in for a Tacoma soon."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Saturday, December 01, 2007

"The 4-Runner is a superb vehicle. i get 20 mpg on the highway using middle grade gas, and it's V-8 with all-wheel drive. the only issue i have is the Dunlop tires -- could never get them properly balanced. i have since put on a set of Michelin Cross-Terrains, and what a difference. the traction is unsurpassed, and it runs super quiet. after getting a lemon Nissan Frontier and an Isuzu Rodeo, it seems good to have something dependable. no repairs at all - just normal maintainance. the Nissan blew the transmission the second day i had it, and the Isuzu had a laundry list of problems. buy a 4-Runner and it will last forever."

Way better than new 4runners

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "better mileage than newer, same weight vehicles"

Cons: "After 10 years the undercarriage starting to rust"

"This car is small enough to park, big enough to 4wheel, Gets WAY better mileage than the new ones, can fit a bike inside, gets up to speed from a light without being loud and gunning to engine unnecessarily (can't do that in the comparable suv's anymore).The solid running boards let you load the roof rack easily and don't disappear when you turn the car on. Plus you can store 'stuff' on them until you get home (dog owners you know what this could be). Has a sliding visor mirror covers so you don't have to duck to see in the mirror. Has controls for the interior lights, rather than having ALL the lights come on at once. The daytime running lights in orange are more noticeable than just another vehicle with headlights on in the daytime. The ac is super cold, I've noticed in the new 4runners the ac isn't cold enough to cool the inside of the vehicle. Love this year of 4runners. Wish I had it with 0 miles again. Plus it doesn't look like a drooling dog. (Sorry folks)"

unreal!

By on Friday, November 02, 2007

"I love this suv! I can't begin to tell you how much I absolutely love this truck. I consistanty get 23 mpg with synthetic oil (amsoil), last winter it handled beautifully for me getting me through some deep snow near NYC without any hesitation. When you start this thing you can just tell it's been perfected, it's quiet, powerful and it's the first new car I've ever owned where there was absolutely nothing I could pick at (and i'm very picky). no problems whatsoever. I have a friend who still drives his 1987 4runner 4cyl with over 400k miles so I expect the same sort of bulletproof-ness out of this. I hear this particular model is made at the Lexus plant in Japan which gives me more piece of mind knowing it's built to last. On the highway I'd also give this 5 stars...it accelerates quickly (very fast with the v8) and very smoothly. My only gripe is that the rear door is so heavy it literally takes both hands to push it closed but I guess I'd rather have that problem than an suv that was cheaply made. I test drove all sorts of vehicles in this class and by far this was my hands-down winner. resale value, reliability and safety in bad conditions just can't be beat. I was tempted by the Hummer H3 but with horrid reviews by consumer reports I stayed away and glad I did. Buy it, you'll love it too!"

Great for dog owners!

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Size, rear window, sunroof, hauling"

"I bought 2004 SR5 with V6 2 wheel drive used with a bad head gasket and catalytic converter :( Drove it with the slight head gasket problem for 2 years until the check engine light started flashing. Replaced head gasket for $2700 (not at the dealership). Only other problem I have had was it overheated once when the tube that sucks coolant out of the overflow and back to the radiator fell off in the overflow container. Last year my dash got cracks from being left in the sun all day in the GA summer. Still best vehicle I've owned. I've hauled 4 kayaks in it! 2 on top, 2 in the rear window! Looks great. AVG 21 mpg combined. It's supposed to drive like a truck. It's not your mommy's SUV. I love driving it, especially with the back window down and sunroof open and my dog in the back with his head out the window, ears flapping in the wind! I'll drive it til the wheels fall off! It's a good size. Not too small (I feel safe). Not obnoxiously big either."