2005 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 839 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

Dependable

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

"Most dependable vehicle I ever owned. In 8 years and 112K miles, the only failed part was a front signal light bulb, but yesterday I had the front rotors and calipers replaced due to stuck brake piston which warped the rotors. Rides very well, not like typical SUV. Quiet, never any rattles, squeaks, vibrations, etc. Criticisms include dash controls -- impossible to read when wearing polarized sunglasses. Needs a couple more inches of front legroom; new models have more. Wish it had 100K spark plugs. Toyota recommends change them at 30K but I've changed at 50K w/o problem. Rear brake pads are original and have half of pads left. No oil nor other fluid leaks. Never has failed to start immediately; never hesitated, missed, knocked, etc., and runs on any brand of regular. Confident it will go beyond 300K w/o major trouble."

Terrific value.

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "Economical, reliable, comfortable."

"This is my 3rd 4runner, and I have owned it since it was new. Other than routine maintenance, I have never had any problems with it (or the other two, either, for that matter.) The only reason I didn't give it a perfect "10" score is that the mileage could be a little better, and it has some issues in 4WD mode on wet, clay soils - i.e., it tends to slide. This is partly a tire issue, as the mud cakes the treds."

SAVE until you can afford it!!!

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "dependable"

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"Even if you have to settle for the 2WD and eat Ramen noodles for six months, save your money until you can afford one of these. Don't settle for anything else because every time you see one pass by you'll regret it. From time to time you might encounter a review from someone who complains about his 4th-Gen 4Runner, but I'd be willing to bet that he let his teenage son drive the heck out of it, failed to keep up with basic maintenance, or bought it secondhand from someone guilty of these offenses. The truth is that the 4Runner is the best SUV out there. Problems are few and far between, and usually pretty small: battery, alternator, window motor gear. The major systems on these things are bulletproof. It's not all fun and games owning one of these. You can expect dismal gas mileage. I get about 17.8 no matter what I do. The stats are a little sad when you see that the V6 Highlander gets better HP and gas mileage, but the torque on the T4R is pretty impressive. I know it's a stupid complaint, but I feel like the ride height is too low for the running boards but just a little too high to just step out comfortably - again, stupid complaint. The cargo capacity is a little disappointing when you consider how HUGE this truck is. And it is a truck on a truck frame (unlike the Highlander). The dash pads on these things ALL have cracks. This combined with the cassette player can make even the cleanest 4th Gen feel dated."

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

"The best car,never let me down, love it"

This 4Runner is definitely my best vehicle yet.

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable car, handles great, smooth ride."

Cons: "Gas mileage, crack in dashboard."

"I have owned this 4Runner for almost 10 years and have never had any mechanical problems with it. The only issue is a crack in the dashboard that started around the contours of the control panel and in time has traveled the length of the of the dashboard. I love the way the vehicle handles and the great ride. Only downside is the gas mileage. Plan to keep this car for as long as possible."