2004 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 839 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

Best Vehicle I've owned.

By on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Pros: "All around great vehicle."

Cons: "No cons."

"My Toyota 4 runner has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It drives as good as when I bought it, has held it's value and is very comfortable. I am planning on buying a newer one but love this one."

best truck ever

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "hold they value and unstopeble 4x4"

"own this vehicle for over 10years and no complains no problems, only wear and tear"

Never had "buyers remorse!"

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "This vehicle will never disappoint you."

Cons: "A little noisey with windows and roof open"

"This is a well designed vehicle that clearly had the customer in mind. Comforts and Foresight are the best ways to describe this vehicle."

Have owned since new and still my favorite car

By on Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pros: "Great driving car just like on a rail"

Cons: "Gas mileage not bad for FT 4wheel drive 18 mpg"

"Great driving car, made several 4 thousand mile plus trips and still love it. It's finally broken in, just turned 100k and still no rattles, shakes and drives like she just rolled off the new car lot. Average around 18 mpg overall and have never had to add oil between changes."

Best suv

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "reliability, fit and finish, 4wd system,"

Cons: "cnone"

"This suv has been reliable, it has excellent build quality, and it retains its value. best vehicle I have ever owned."

Perfect for road trips!

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, reliable, good lines, solid, no rattles"

Cons: "gas mileage in town could be better"

"Bought the 4Runner so I could take wife and two Boxers on the road. Could not have made a better choice. I have never had this vehicle in the shop. I just change the tires, oil and other fluids and it goes and goes and goes. None of the little electrical glitches or broken controls you might expect in an almost 10 year old vehicle. Great quality vehicle and it still looks good!"

A great car that's fund to drive

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

"I love this car, it drives like a sports sedan. The engine produces lots of power. It outruns most cars on the highway. The 2003 model was a brand new design when I bought it. There were a couple of problems like there are with most new designs, but once they were fixed it's been running as it should."

A great clean and well running car ,one owner from

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

"One owner car, very good condition, new tires with new battry ,leather inside and vey clean ,not a smoking car most used at free ways. This car running great with very powefull engine."

Best car I ever owned

By on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

"I am 68 years old. I owned over 20 cars in my lifetime...this one is the best! I bought it new in '03. A few months ago I bought a new Jeep GC to replace it but I can't let the 4Runner go. I'm sure it will still be around when the Jeep is just a memory."

Nothing less than awesome

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "nothing but confident driving experience"

Cons: "exhaust enters back window, drivetrain "thunks""

"I purchased this car used in 2011, with 149k miles on it and have had an outstanding experience with it. I drove it across country, I have driven it in over a foot of snow, I have done windy highway driving at 85mph and I have done stupid amounts of in-town driving. The mpg isn't outstanding but it's a V8, what do you expect? I get better than predicted at highway speeds, about predicted in town (and my average speed is 18 to 22 mph according to the on board computer on an average tank!). I've only experienced two annoyances, an exhaust issue and a drivetrain issue. The exhaust issue happens when I have the back window down partially if I am driving at low speeds. I have to have it either up or down, not in-between, or exhaust comes in. Ew. If I'm driving at least 35-40mph, this is not a problem. Annoying since I do a lot of low-speed driving, but I've perfected the art of up/down. At least it's auto-up, auto-down. Oh well. The another annoyance I had (which I think is finally fixed) was an issue with the drivetrain. The best way I can describe it is a "thunk" - the whole vehicle would lurch slightly a few seconds after I came to a stop and make a small noise. Needless to say, I was terrified my transmission was about to die on my 150k mile new-to-me vehicle. I took it to two different dealers who insisted it was the drive train and told me they would grease it to fix it, only to have the issue return within a few weeks. Dealer #3 actually fixed it. Not sure what they did differently, but it's a year later, and I've still not had any more thunks. I'm happy."

Awesome SUV except......

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride, mtc free vehicle, reliable"

Cons: "Cracking dash board w no warranty"

"Had this 2003 for approx 5 up years. Replaced fluids regularly, and new brakes at 90,000 miles. I had the injectors cleaned at 100,000 mile dealer service . Runs like new. At 100,000 miles I replaced the tires, but the shocks and suspension are still factory. The v6 has a timing chain, so only the 4x4 v8 model needs a timing belt replacement at 100,00 miles. My only complaint....... DASHBOARD cracking.. Most of the 2003-05 models have them, all in the same places....Toyota doesn't warranty the dash. Otherwise, it's just awesome"

Great vehicle, never lets me down

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Power, comfort, smooth ride, utility, style"

"I have owned my 4Runner for almost 2 years and could not be happier with a vehicle. I had my eye on the 4runner for a few years, my brother owns one and he loves it. I did all the research I could and read glowing reviews from many other owners. But I really just loved the look of the 4runner and nothing else stacked up to the features and utility of this truck. I found one on line and had to have it. This SUV is solid, built on a heavy duty steel frame and all of the under carriage is well protected by steel skid plates designed for off road and trail use. The body on frame design is rare in the SUV market today. The engineers at Toyota dont over engineer their vehicles, but rather seem to bring the right amount comfort while keeping the design simple. Everything just work, and thing don't break. I do much of the maintenance on the 4runner myself, oil and fluid changes, nothing has broken down in the 20K miles that I have driven it. The truck is a beast in the snow and off roads, it is easy to kick in the 4WD, and comes with locking differential if it is needed. I have the 4.7 V8 engine which has more than enough power to tow a boat or trailer. Inside is a very comfortable ride. Handling is great, the SUV has a super tight turning radius, the larger tires give it a smooth ride n rough roads, the cabin is quiet and well insulated from the noise outside. The A/C and heat work great and there is a ton of storage in the back. One of the best features is the rear window that rolls down and allows you to haul things that might not fit totally inside the truck."

Best automovile in life

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

Pros: "Great vehicle to own and drive"

Cons: "No cons thanks God"

"Best car I had in my life and I had a few cars before this one The ride is so smooth and no mayor problems at all I have given all the services since we have it purchase out of the floor in upstate N.Y. Viva La Vida Viva Toyota 4 Runner"

Has been nearly maintenance free

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pros: "Reliabilty. Little cost to maintain"

Cons: "Rear passenger leg room"

"Nine years of ownership and closing in on 200,000 miles. My 2004 4runner has been practically maintenance free. Looking to get a few more years of driving out of it. Don't know what I will do when the time comes to let it go. No doubt part of the family."

Love-love my 4-Runner and it has loved me back

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Cons: "getting seat belt clasp fastened/other cars easier"

"After searching for 6 months for a used 4-Runner with a V8 I finally found my 4-Runner in my home town where it had been purchased originally at the local Toyota dealer (was relying on CarFax due to the many floods/hurricanes & salty snow-belt cars on the market). Have felt comfortable and safe in my 4-Runner since day one."

reliable!!

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "it lasts well into the high mileage area."

Cons: "alloy rims corrode."

"ive owned many vehicle and i usually trade after two or three years. ive had this 4runner six years now and i have never appreciated a vehicle as much as i do my 4runner. this suv is reliable and consistant in its performance. i also own audi quattro vehicles, and the runner handles as well as they do. my old chevys or fords dont even compare! im glad i joined the toyota family!"

Can't live without my 4runners

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "Beautiful and reliable"

Cons: "I wish Toyota offered standard transmissions"

"My driveway has two 4runners, this 2008 SR5 and my 2000 SR5. The older one has 315,000 miles still with the original exhaust & clutch. I cannot bear to part with it! The 2008 was picked up a month ago and it rides beautifully smooth and IMHO one of the best looking SUV's out there. Do not care for the appearance of the 5th Gen models so this will be my last but I expect it to go another 300,000 miles! I guess my only complaint thus far is I believe they could have made the driver's seat a bit more comfortable - it seems to squeeze in the sides of legs a bit. I'm 6'4", 205 so not too huge. These 4runners are amazing!"

4Runner is great but not for everyone

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "Can't beat the 4WD system."

Cons: "Ride is not the best."

"We live in the Sierra mountains in California. The 4Runner proves itself with it's true 4WD system in the snow and ice. We use the locking center differential often on slippery conditions and it just plows through. However, you do need compatible tires so we have our 3rd set of Michelin Mountain tires on the 4Runner. Ride is not great: bouncy, harsh at times. But this is not your phoo-phoo crossover SUV. It is a true 4WD truck like vehicle and that makes it tough. Whether using it off road in the summer to get to our fishing spot or running it through snow in winter. Dependability had been excellent. Our OEM Panasonic battery lasted 160,000 miles (8.5 years)! We had to replace front axel seals on both sides due to bearing failure. But the mechanic said it was probably due to hitting a deer some 9 months earlier as he never seen front axel bearings fail before. Other than that we have had an annoying driver's side mirror that vibrates. I would buy again. But if you are looking for a smooth riding SUV, look elsewhere."

A true love affair

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "Handles well, rides well for a truck based vehicle"

Cons: "Highway wander and gas milage"

"Have owned my 2003 4runner for ten yrs. now and Evan though its a second car it has never let me down. I feel the looks are much better than the new generation 4runner. 4runners have always held there value which makes it all that much better. I have driven the new generation 4runner and don't feel it hold a candle to mine. Thanks for your time."

Great Vehicle a few problems

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, hard working, dependable, long lastin"

Cons: "After 100K had some minor problems"

"My 5th Toyota, second 4Runner. The 2006 was not as perfect as the 3 Tacomas and 2000 4 Runner, but it was no disapointment either. She drove trouble free for 125,000 miles, was comfortable and driven off road early and often on rugged construction sites and dirt trail terrain. After 125K,the exhaust system kept throwing engine codes for emissions despite catalyst replacement. When the engine light comes on, the Vehicle Stability Control and Traction control lights come on simultaneously and these systems are disabled until the code is reset/ erased- a potential safety hazard. When the front struts failed at 100,000+ miles, hard braking became dangerous as the front end sunk hard and bounced back up repeatedly. I STRONGLY recommend replacement at Toyota interval to avoid this problem. The factory battery was unbelievable. With no maintenance, it lasted 6.5 years and only died because I played CD's all day with doors open and interior lights on. The backlight failed on the information display at 87K mi which was annoying but not fatal. Tire life was good-- 40-60K with heavy off road use that tends to knock front end out of alignment. Heated seats were great, leather held up very well. Overall a great SUV. I will be trading her in for a Tacoma soon."

Solid performer, very reliable.

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Safe and secure handling, all weather machine"

Cons: "V8 Engine fuel economy-expect 15 mpg city, 18 hwy"

"I purchased the Toyota 4Runner new in 2004, and have not been disappointed with it. I own the SR5, full-time 4WD version with the 4.7L V8 and Class III towing package (rated for 7000 pounds). The engine runs smooth as silk, and has awesome torque and plenty of power. The first week I owned it I rescued daughter's Honda Civic from a muddy, snowy lot where the little Honda had sunk into the soft ground when the snow melted. Cool! I have used the 4Runner as a travel car, hauling machine (have pulled many trailers, some quite large), camping machine, and so forth. It is also my "bad weather" car - - I work over 30 miles away, and in KC road conditions go sour quite rapidly during winter storms - - the 4Runner has brought me home safely countless times during these storms, often passing droves of lesser cars and trucks stuck spinning their wheels on icy hills. This model also has Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), which is a great safety feature, and is now standard on many Toyota vehicles. It also has true 4-channel Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), which gives safe and sure stops even when the roads are slick. (Remember, these systems can't change the laws of physics, but Toyota has seamlessly implemented these systems such that the car really works with the driver to maintain control when things get squeamish.) The 4Runner is also quite capable off road; I can personally attest to that, and have put quite a few trail miles on it, some in very icy and snowy weather, where this machine really excels. The 4Runner will patiently and comfortably navigate off-road terrain all day long. Just an aside, the 4Runner is part of the dwindling breed of body-on-frame SUVs. This construction is very rugged and is built to stand up to off-road use as well as heavy-duty towing. The 4Runner has double sets of rubber seals on all doors, and even a set under the hood, which makes for quiet running. The primary con for this vehicle is its fuel economy...but that is true for any true SUV, and the 4Runnner really is very efficient for its size and capabilities. Keep the oil changed (the 4.7L V8 runs very clean, I might add), and very important, don't "cold cycle" the engine. (If you start it on a cold morning, don't shut it off until it has run at least 5 minutes, as the EFI system pumps lots of fuel in for cold starts, which can impair cylinder wall lubrication if the engine is shut off before this fuel can be burnt or expelled from the engine. This is true for most EFI vehicles, but critical in this one, where lubrication is crucial.)"

noise happed

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pros: "good for snow, powerful"

Cons: "bad battery and autonate, noise from buttom."

"noise from center and rear wheels area after 80000 miles."

The 2005 4 Runner is Ultra Reliable

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, Durability, Safety, Styling,Reliable"

Cons: "Drives like a Truck and not good for long trips"

"I purchased my 2005 Toyota 4 Runner in 2008 with just about 20k miles on it. Today we have 91k miles on the vehicle. The only things I have done have been normal maintenance items like Tires (Just put on my second set since I have owned it), battery (replaced 1x), brakes (replaced 1x). I have also changed the coolant and oil regularly. The truck is just so well built that I have little doubt that it is capable of achieving at least 200k miles and possible much more. I am keeping my fingers crossed that in 10 years it will still be going strong. I understand why these trucks have a cult following now, reliability and durability. My only complaint/issue with the 4runner is that it's really all truck and by that I mean that the handling characteristics are more truck like than car like. For that reason I don't like to take it on long trips for that I picked up a Lexus ES350 which also exudes Toyota quality. For what it is it's just a fantastic machine and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Toyota products."

Best SUV out there!

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Very smooth and powerful feeling."

Cons: "Gas is expensive but so is frequent auto repairs"

"Purchased this vehicle as a clear choice over a BMW X5. The Toyota is much more reliable, comfortable and very affordable. My 2008 with 41K runs flawlessly and never visits the garage except for routine maintenance period. Bullet proof drivetrain and will last for 250K plus easy. Do the maintenance and enjoy years of trouble free touring. The v-8 is the way to go. I get 23 plus on the highway using synthetic oils throughout driveline. I can see 25-27 MPG with low restriction exhaust. Toyota puts these engines in NASCAR (modified) and rarely fail. Had the Tahoe, Subaru, Big Fords, Kia Sorento (2011) loaded and the Toyota blows it away! I have held ASE certifications through the years. These never visit the shop for any major repairs. Run from the German cars, and the Jeep. They are junk. Worked on them all. Keep the rust off them and expect 200-350 K with very little problems and those will be minor."

Best 4WD ever!

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"I have owned at least 25 cars & trucks over the past 30 years, and this Toyota is the absolute best vehicle I have ever owned. This is my second 4Runner, the first being a 2000 SR5, and they both have been terrific vehicles. Excellent value & reliability for the money. Hard cars to part with, even after 100,000 miles, it still drives like new. No rattles squeaks or bangs. Reasonable fuel mileage for a V8, 16-18 around town, and up to 23 on a trip. Solid car, great feel and response, and good handling. This one is AWD, and it handles great in any weather. You wouldn't even know there was snow on the ground, it just goes! Highly recommend this car with any mileage, you can't go wrong."