2004 Toyota 4Runner

9.5

Based on 839 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

9.7/10

A CERTIFIABLY GREAT VEHICLE!

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pros: "Powerful AC, Sunroof, Great Speakers, Fun to drive"

Cons: "Wide tires are a bit more noisy vs standard tires"

There she is!

"The quality, performance, durability and handling of the 4 Runner goes without saying. When I brought the 4 Runner Sports Edition to my local mechanic in Eagle Rock for the first time, Arturo said that he loves this vehicle and told me I won't be seeing much of him in the years to come! I'm going solar and purchasing a hybrid, so I'm reluctantly letting go of this excellent and reliable friend. I hope a great family will enjoy it as much as my husband and I have. It's an awesome ride for camping and road trips with a fabulous sound system. It handles great whether your up in the mountains of Big Bear or cruising on the 101. After having a Honda Element with big blind spots, I so appreciate how well I can see out of the side and back of this 4 Runner Sports Edition. During my first 4 Runner experience of freeway driving, there was a huge pipe that fell off a truck about ten car lengths in front of me. I had to swerve around to avoid hitting it. It handled and held the road so well at 70 mph, and was smooth as silk in the process. I was deeply grateful for how well it responded and saved me! It's a certifiably great vehicle!"

There she is!

Great for dog owners!

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Size, rear window, sunroof, hauling"

"I bought 2004 SR5 with V6 2 wheel drive used with a bad head gasket and catalytic converter :( Drove it with the slight head gasket problem for 2 years until the check engine light started flashing. Replaced head gasket for $2700 (not at the dealership). Only other problem I have had was it overheated once when the tube that sucks coolant out of the overflow and back to the radiator fell off in the overflow container. Last year my dash got cracks from being left in the sun all day in the GA summer. Still best vehicle I've owned. I've hauled 4 kayaks in it! 2 on top, 2 in the rear window! Looks great. AVG 21 mpg combined. It's supposed to drive like a truck. It's not your mommy's SUV. I love driving it, especially with the back window down and sunroof open and my dog in the back with his head out the window, ears flapping in the wind! I'll drive it til the wheels fall off! It's a good size. Not too small (I feel safe). Not obnoxiously big either."

Way better than new 4runners

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "better mileage than newer, same weight vehicles"

Cons: "After 10 years the undercarriage starting to rust"

"This car is small enough to park, big enough to 4wheel, Gets WAY better mileage than the new ones, can fit a bike inside, gets up to speed from a light without being loud and gunning to engine unnecessarily (can't do that in the comparable suv's anymore).The solid running boards let you load the roof rack easily and don't disappear when you turn the car on. Plus you can store 'stuff' on them until you get home (dog owners you know what this could be). Has a sliding visor mirror covers so you don't have to duck to see in the mirror. Has controls for the interior lights, rather than having ALL the lights come on at once. The daytime running lights in orange are more noticeable than just another vehicle with headlights on in the daytime. The ac is super cold, I've noticed in the new 4runners the ac isn't cold enough to cool the inside of the vehicle. Love this year of 4runners. Wish I had it with 0 miles again. Plus it doesn't look like a drooling dog. (Sorry folks)"

I love this vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Great in all weather, loads of room for travel"

Cons: "The lights behind the electronics burned out"

"4 Runner has power, is reliable, and is great for the Colorado mountains. Mine is 2005 and I am going to drive it as long as I can."

Best vehicle ever owned

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

"This vehicle will go another 200 thousand miles if maintained like it has previously"

has been very well taken care of. maintain dealer.

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "8, 000 runs good."

"Has been taken care of. Is great smooth drive. Maintenance done at required times and at Toyota dealer."

very quiet on road and very easy to handle in all

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

"Love this suv"

Love my 4Runner

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

"We purchased this vehicle in 2005 mostly for it's safety ratings, but we have been impressed with everything about the vehicle. We have taken this vehicle on various terrains throughout Colorado and we feel safe and secure. It's roomy without being too large and both the interior and exterior have held up well throughout all of our family excursions. Unlike some other attractive SUV's this one also drives well and is easy to maneuver. Great vehicle! Great investment!"

My favorite 4x4 - 2003 4Runner Sport

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

"Pros: Reliable, spacious and capable. Cons: Gas mileage is 14 MPG and burns through brake pads. My 2003 4Runner Sport 4x4 has 108000 miles and is running strong. This is the last of the breed. Eight cylinders of pure power hence the brake pad issue. Enough room to move a house full of stuff."

Simply the best

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "A real Suv"

"This is my 3rd 4runner I have owned a 2000,2005, and now a 2008 all Limited my 2008 4runner comes with 4wd leather seats navigation system, back up camera, roof rack trailer hitch mp3 6 disc CD player 10 speakers 6 cup holders Sun roof cargo cover. Seat memory laminated side steps. All standard I have been fishing camping skiing with my 4runner if you need a vehicle that can take you any where trouble free driving the 4runner is for you the 4th generations have the best reliability rating so get a 2004-2009 and save yourself around $18000.00 for a new 4runner"

Dependable

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

"Most dependable vehicle I ever owned. In 8 years and 112K miles, the only failed part was a front signal light bulb, but yesterday I had the front rotors and calipers replaced due to stuck brake piston which warped the rotors. Rides very well, not like typical SUV. Quiet, never any rattles, squeaks, vibrations, etc. Criticisms include dash controls -- impossible to read when wearing polarized sunglasses. Needs a couple more inches of front legroom; new models have more. Wish it had 100K spark plugs. Toyota recommends change them at 30K but I've changed at 50K w/o problem. Rear brake pads are original and have half of pads left. No oil nor other fluid leaks. Never has failed to start immediately; never hesitated, missed, knocked, etc., and runs on any brand of regular. Confident it will go beyond 300K w/o major trouble."

Terrific value.

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "Economical, reliable, comfortable."

"This is my 3rd 4runner, and I have owned it since it was new. Other than routine maintenance, I have never had any problems with it (or the other two, either, for that matter.) The only reason I didn't give it a perfect "10" score is that the mileage could be a little better, and it has some issues in 4WD mode on wet, clay soils - i.e., it tends to slide. This is partly a tire issue, as the mud cakes the treds."

SAVE until you can afford it!!!

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "dependable"

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"Even if you have to settle for the 2WD and eat Ramen noodles for six months, save your money until you can afford one of these. Don't settle for anything else because every time you see one pass by you'll regret it. From time to time you might encounter a review from someone who complains about his 4th-Gen 4Runner, but I'd be willing to bet that he let his teenage son drive the heck out of it, failed to keep up with basic maintenance, or bought it secondhand from someone guilty of these offenses. The truth is that the 4Runner is the best SUV out there. Problems are few and far between, and usually pretty small: battery, alternator, window motor gear. The major systems on these things are bulletproof. It's not all fun and games owning one of these. You can expect dismal gas mileage. I get about 17.8 no matter what I do. The stats are a little sad when you see that the V6 Highlander gets better HP and gas mileage, but the torque on the T4R is pretty impressive. I know it's a stupid complaint, but I feel like the ride height is too low for the running boards but just a little too high to just step out comfortably - again, stupid complaint. The cargo capacity is a little disappointing when you consider how HUGE this truck is. And it is a truck on a truck frame (unlike the Highlander). The dash pads on these things ALL have cracks. This combined with the cassette player can make even the cleanest 4th Gen feel dated."

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

"The best car,never let me down, love it"

This 4Runner is definitely my best vehicle yet.

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable car, handles great, smooth ride."

Cons: "Gas mileage, crack in dashboard."

"I have owned this 4Runner for almost 10 years and have never had any mechanical problems with it. The only issue is a crack in the dashboard that started around the contours of the control panel and in time has traveled the length of the of the dashboard. I love the way the vehicle handles and the great ride. Only downside is the gas mileage. Plan to keep this car for as long as possible."

Awesome vehicle

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable"

"I purchased this vehicle new and I can't be more happy and satisfied with its quality and reliability. Besides a couple of tire changes,it only has been to the dealer once for a recall about the gas pedal getting stuck. I am buying a new one this year."

All-round reliable, flexible vehicle

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "reliability, towing and offroad features"

Cons: "No power seats"

"We bought this 4Runner new and have kept it so long because it has been so reliable and flexible and comfortable. We have taken good care of this vehicle and it has paid us back in 10 years of flawless service."

Best car i've ever owned

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "Not to many places it won't go"

Cons: "Would like a little better gas milage"

"Have had 10 years and haven't had any problems except with a/c. The condensor had a small hole in it. Also replaced water pump. Other than that all was routine maintance"

v/8 2nd.owner

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pros: "12500.00"

Cons: "good silver n.tires"

"I get tis truck from first qwner"

Best car I have ever owned by far.

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pros: "very comfortable and reliable"

Cons: "little cramped in front for my 6ft tall husband"

"I absolutely love this car!"

Best Decision Ever

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Great Drive, good amount of space, reliable"

Cons: "A little pricey on the gas"

"I purchsed this car in my mid 20's and thought it would be a good car for future needs with a family. Expecting to have a family a lot sooner than now I still wouldnt trade in my 4Runner for anything. This car has been reliable, durable, dependent, fun, sporty, manageable, and overall a wonderful investment and just the right amount of space when needed. I would recommend this car to anyone and everyone. In fact I did - and now my sister, brother and father all own one."

Very good value

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "Good power and functionality"

Cons: "Spongy brakes"

"Great vehicle! Just 2 negs: The brakes aren't that great, and I did have a cylinder leak in my 4.0 motor. Other than these 2 negs, it's been a great vehicle during the past 10 years."

The most awesome automobile EVER!

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Durability and performance."

Cons: "Um...?"

"Owned since new and will drive as long as it remains reliable. It has far exceeded expectations. Perfect to throw the canoe on top and go for weekend camping. Reasonable gas mileage for all that power. Not a moment's notice of problems during the entire time I've owned this vehicle. I looked after its maintenance and it has served me well. Great turning radius, easy to maneuver, all around solid performance!"

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, Comfort, Luxury, Capabilities"

Cons: "Price-Epensive. Get what you pay for!"

"Even when I sell my company and will be able to afford supercars, I would purchase nothing more than a 4Runner. The reliability, comfort, maitenance, convienence, capabilities for all terrain handling, visible features and appearances have absolutely awed me. I previously owned a VW Passat (4 door sport package), Ford F-150, Mercedes Benz (luxury edition) AMG, and a chevy Silverado 2500 super crew cab, the 4Runner absolutely smashes anything I have owned thus far. A great car whether you are buying as a starter for your kids, a traveling vehicle for the larger families, or your baby and goes everywhere you go, then the 4Runner is perfect for you! The best thing about it, it holds its value. Owned the car for 3 years now and drive it EVERYDAY (highway/city) the only problem I have encountered is your average monthly oil change and air filter. You couldn't make a better investment."

Hands Down... Best SUV Available.

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Great power, good handling in all conditions."

Cons: "Holds their value... but hey; owners love them!"

"I've owned quite a few 4x4 vehicles due to my proximity to the snowy mountains, and icy weather. I currently own a 2006 4Runner Limited ( V8, AWD ). I love this SUV. I have had one issue with the navigation head unit (JBL) getting CD's stuck, but was fixed by dealer upon purchase. It honestly goes anywhere I need to go, and doesn't have the maintenance costs that are associated with other Makes/modes. This is now my 5th Toyota, and hands down they'll keep getting my business with vehicles of this quality. Though... I'll probably drive this one till the air peels the panels off of it I love it so much! The V8 does have a timing belt, so be sure to ask if it has been changed! Will wear tires out a little faster than the RWD model due to the AWD function ( typical with most all AWD vehicles. ) True MPG from an owner: city-15mpg .. HWY-18.5-19mpg. Has a lot of pep, but you can get 20mpg on the highway if you stay out of the throttle and you're not in mountainous terrain. Good luck, and yes... this is a definite GREAT vehicle to consider for yourself, or even possibly a first time driver due to its forgiving nature, and well rounded safety and amenity features. One last note... Bravo Toyota; for still manufacturing vehicles that actually live up to their intended purpose, and then outlasting them!"