2001 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 805 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

2000 4-Runner

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I've owned Toyota's since 1984, started overseas with a Celica hatchback. Moved back to the states in '86 and got another used Celica hatchback then quickly moved up to a new pickup. Then within the year I saw my first 4-Runner and just had to get it. It was a new '86, yes that's right I went from a Celica to a pickup to the 4-Runner in just a year (just so it's clear, I wasn't disappointed with the first two). I kept that runner (a 4-banger) for 14 years, it even went to Germany with me for 8 years. It took me to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, East Germany and all over West Germany. I really abused it over there in Europe, like not changing oil, not polishing, and very high speeds. I even had a low speed head on collision with a small pickup (Ford Courier type) in '93...I won, the other pickup was totalled but I drove home, luckily there were no injuries. The only problems I had was a leaky water pump, a stuck closed thermostat, and bad oil pump. Back in Idaho I finally traded up in 2000 to this one. It was the last standard stick shift on the lot. I put 82K on it so far and I'm taking a lot better care of this one than I did my first. Only had two major problems, both rt & lt rear axle bearing boots failed (not at the same time) and had to replace the bearings seals and brake shoes (soaked with oil). One under warranty and the other 20K miles later. I did have the automatic antenna mast replaced but that was because of a couple winters worth of driving through freezing fog. The ice build up tends to wreak havoc on the drive when it tries to pull it back down. Gas mileage is still steady at 19 MPG. Best is 22, worst was 13 when pulling a U-haul trailer 600 miles from Idaho to Vegas. Did very well on the 2,700 mile trip from Boise to Montgomery, the trip back was the same. I plan on keeping this till it dies...Sorry Toyota I'm a loyal customer but I won't be buying another for a long time. Toyota, I don't see how anyone could go wrong with buying one, the value far exceeds the price. I'm actually thinking of adding a Prius, Tundra, or Sienna to my garage...we'll see."

Hard to let go....

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I have never owned a better vehicle. It has been great fun, practical and dependable. From 4 wheeling to commuting it has exceeded my expectations. My job requires a different type of vehicle and that is the only reason I have to let it go. My loss, someones gain..."

Happy Owner (2nd time!)

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I was so happy with my first 4Runner ('95) that I bought another one ('02). After about 5 years, I have put on 116,000 miles with almost no mechanical problems. I have the itch to get a new car again, but its hard to beat having a vehicle with no loan payments and no repair bills."

loved it

By on Thursday, August 02, 2007

"i bought it not worried that it had 130,000 miles already because i knew that would not be an issue. we have been through some fun times together including hurricanes, camping trips, and sleep overs. the dogs loved it too."

Reliable TROOPER

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"My 4 Runner is the best vehicle ever. We first met in 1997 and I have had the SR5 for the last 11 years. I am currently at 190,000 miles and haven't had to have any other work besides maintenance on the vehicle. It's not really too comfy (also stated by family/friends) for looong car trips b/c it rides similar to a jeep however, it's very dependable and I love my truck! It's a great vehicle that got me through high school, college, and many years beyond."