2000 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 829 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

Nice Ride

By on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"I have had my 4runner for two years now but has been in the family for about 5, it runs great, im up to 178,000+ now, and of course is running smooth. I get decent mpg, and good speed out of this car. I now drive it everyday about 50 miles daily overall and love the comfort, so do friends when they hop in for a ride. I would definatly say buy this if your considering!"

Saves me money

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

"Every once in a while I think I would like a newer vechicle. Then reality sets in: cost,tax on the purchase, insurance increase,and what is out there that is better?? I haved owned this 4runner limited for 9 years,and the maintance cost (outside of what should be done at that mileage plateau) has been low. It now has 137,000 miles on it and is still running like new. I would drive it to florida and not have a worry in my mind. The 4Runner has been a great towing and family vehicle. One of the best features is the power tailgate window (lets the dog get breezes). If I get it detailed and put a new rear bumper on it (I notice this seems to be its weak spot rusting through, see it on many 4Runners of this vintage) I just got my new car!!"

1999 4runner

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"1999 4runner - 133k and counting I love my truck. Not to big not too small, just right. My wife drives it more than I do and I don't think she could handle a bigger SUV. I have listed what I think are the PROS and CONS of the vehicle. I would highly recommend it. PROS: Looks - Still looks like a late model, paint has held up Reliable - Routine maintenance. Only brakes and starter have been replaced. Value - Lots of amenities for the price Creature comforts - Quiet ride, Good stereo, roll down rear window, moonroof, leather, etc. CONS: Gas Mileage - City could be better. Highway mpg is 20-22, not bad Power - 187 hp is too low"

It never gives up, keeps on going!

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Legendary bullet proof reliability!"

Cons: "Gas mileage and the bad cup holder design."

"If you where too choose a vehicle to fight a war in. The 1997 Toyota 4runner would be that vehicle. This is the best truck I've ever owned, it is bullet proof. It just keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and even after 240,000 miles, it still keeps going. This truck was built to last and to take abuse but it will never give up. It never breaks down, it never complains, it just keeps on running. I bought it brand new in early 1997 with just 8 miles on the odometer, and now 17 year later and 240,000 miles later, it still never gives up and always keep running. It is comfortable with plenty of room for the whole family, has tons of cargo space, and its legendary bullet proof reliability."

WORTH WAAAAY MORE THAN $5000!!! Way More!!!

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "EVERYTHING!!!"

Cons: "Wished I bought one sooner."

"The TRUE VALUE of your Toyota 4Runner is based on the TRUE VALUE and what people are WILLING to pay for it. Because it is such an AWESOME, RELIABLE, GREAT Truck, it is worth waaaaay more than this Blue Book says in my opinion. Just ask any 4Runner owner that stops by you. In the WA state area these are selling for $8-10k with ease."

My Favorite Vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, sturdy, and ageless design"

Cons: "Nothing major"

"I've had my 1997 for over 11 years and it only was touched by a mechanic earlier this year for the first time to have the original struts and rear brake pads replaced. Last week, a 17 year old girl in Kansas pulled in front of my wife in my 4Runner and collided with her. I was beside myself in Texas upon getting that phone call. Of course the superficial (no air bag deployment) damage to the entire front, hood, and quarter panel automatically totaled the 4Runner. I spoke with the body repair shop in St. Joseph, Kansas and he said that he has never seen a more immaculate, well cared for '97 ever. I explained to him that I wanted to keep it practically forever. He said he could put it back to original condition, it would just cost me some money above and beyond the conditions of the total settlement. It's worth it to me to have it fixed (with Toyota parts) and keep it. It has a good 150K at least left in it. A great travel vehicle. Being a 4 cylinder, it won't win any races, but it will fly down the highway. It has never burned a drop of oil in between changes. I've only changed the starter, oxygen sensor, and the radiator/water pump preventively at 126K. I look forward to taking possession of it from the body shop and driving it back to Texas, to safe and sound in my garage, ready for the next road trip."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pros: "Versatility of this vehicle. It does it all."

Cons: "Not a whole lot of power"

"This car does it all. I can drive/park in cities with ease, fly down country roads, or go off-roading. I use my 4Runner to do alot of things, so the folding rear seats are a great feature. On average I get about 21 mpg."

Best SUV I've owned.

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "maintenance free"

Cons: "can't think of anything"

"I've owned this 4runner for three years and have had zero problems. I've changed the oil and air filter and had the ac recharged. That's all. It still runs like new at 150k miles"

Love my 4runner

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

The back of the 4runner is my dog's favorite place to be.

"I bought my 4runner used about 10 years ago. It now has 300,000+ miles. I changed the plugs and wires about 10,000 miles ago, and the plugs looked brand new. They were original factory install. It's a 2wd; I'd love for it to be 4wd, but it's very capable offroad. The 2wd models have many of the parts which are made for the 4wd. (skidplates, beefier suspension parts, etc.) Some parts, after 300,000 miles just wear out and need to be replaced. Bushings, steering components, brakes, etc. The engine and tranny are still solid though. I plan on trading it in soon for a newer 4runner with less miles and 4wd."

The back of the 4runner is my dog's favorite place to be.

Love these Toyota SUVs!

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Extremely dependable! In 10yrs this suv has had only minor work done : water pump,shocks and brakes. Looking for the next one!"

Great car/truck/suv

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "Great looks, fun to drive around town, dependable."

Cons: "Radio antenna, interstate driving."

"Great overall automobile. Has never let me down. Motorized radio antenna gave out at about 50,000 miles, a bad 02 censor at about 80,000, and leaking water pump at 95,000, but other than that it has been great. Not the greatest for interstate driving as it is high and narrow, but not too bad. Plan on keeping it in the family for many years to come. Highly recommended."

Gooing for half a million miles.

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "durablilty,dependable, reliable"

Cons: "minor cosmetic over time"

"Best vehhicle ever owned. Been thru all extremes Wyoming winter,Minnesota blizzards, Missouri heat and humidity, etc..... Jaws drop when they see my mileage, because it still lloks good. Drawback....the drivers seat can need a facelift (leather is rippied and cracked....still great)"

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

"Reliable, Dependable, 274000 miles and still going strong"

I've enjoyed driving this SUV for 11 years.

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, can see above traffic"

Cons: "cup holders in bad location - blocks A/C-Heat vent"

"I would continue to drive this vehicle if it wasn't for the increased rust underneath on the body frame. The exterior body still looks great! Use a lot of gas. Great in the snow when in 4Wheel drive, but the back end tend to slide when in 2Wheel drive on a snowy road. Very reliable with no major mechanical problems."

4 runner is best deal on the market

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

"The 4 Runner in my opinion is the Best 4 wheel drive SUV on the Market, great ride, great gas mileage, comfortable, reliable, great traction in the snow and low Maint. Plenty of room and very good pulling power."

Loved this vehicle

By on Saturday, September 17, 2011

"This vechile saved my life. I was currently hit by a 18 wheeler. When I came to all the windows where out and all the devices deployed. I came out with minor injuries. Lord helped out, but without all the saftey bars built into the vechile and saftey device, I really could have been hurt."

2001 4runner love it

By on Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pros: "large enough for four adlults"

"Bought this car new. It's a solid vechile. I feel with the proper oil changss and tune ups this car will ramble on. Only problems antena, and replaced gas o2 sensor. Haven't replaced breaks. Interior in great shape. This is a very good car."

I was so lucky to buy this car

By on Sunday, October 03, 2010

"Back in 1999 I had to dip into my 401k to buy this limited 1999, with pricing through the internet, even way back then, I got it for about $35K. That was a lot of cash back then for a car. It now has over 130K on it and has become a lifetime pal that I cannot bear to part with. My best investment ever. There has never been anything significantly wrong with it except for the common O2 sensor replacement, AC leak, and some electrical issues. The electrical included loose connection to the clock, and burning out of all the 12V outlets by plugging in AC adapters that took much current. Initially, there was problems with front wheel vibration, however it turns out the car is sensitive to the quality ofthe tires. Once the factory goodyear tires were replaced with Michelin M/S which are awesome, and balanced ok, no problem. I finally had to replace spark plugs, re-greese a rear bearing, (used it to launch boats), and replace the power antenna, which amazingly worked for almost 10 years. This car can go places that will continue to amaze you and will never get stuck. I have been looking at replacement 4-runners and other vehicles for 5 years or so but the newer offerings have just been more and more disapointing. They keep making them bigger, less fuel efficient, more bubbly looking and less like something you would take off road. It is 40K now for a new 4-runner, and they even removed the handle to help you get in, and to add insult to injury no running boards. I don't want a new 4-runner, I want to keep my 1999 running forever. So the plan for me is to keep driving it for another 100K."

A workhose

By on Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"My 4-Runner has never let me down. It is a little underpowered, but if your looking at 4-Runners, speed should not be your priority. If going wherever the heck you please is, then you're on the right track. The 2.7L engine has had no repairs since I purchased it with 45,000 miles on it (190,000+ currently). The rest of the drive-train has been nothing but solid. The seals have had occasional small leaks, but I've never owned a vehicle that has not. The body and interior details have not has any problems that my own rough handling has not incurred. Snow-pack and ice performance is it's greatest design weakness, as the front end is heavier than the rear, and it tends to spin instead of slide in zero traction situations. My wife's Ford Explorer Sport-Trac by comparison drives on ice the same as it drives on dry concrete. We have more than made up for this in repair bills to the Ford, however. In all other 4WD applications, the 4-Runner performs as well or better than any other 4x4 that I have owned (2004 For Explorer Sport-Trac, 1985 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban, 1984 Ford Ranger, 1976 Jeep CJ-5). I will part with mine only when it is no longer feasible to keep it running."

Truely A World Class Machine

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned. In 183,000 miles replaced the starter and power antenna mast. Don't spend much on the routine stuff has never been to the dealer for repair. Did change the timing belt at 115K and it's a bear. Developed a rear axle seal leak after changing the oil at 150K. Won't do that again even though it's recommended most cars it's not a maintenance item. Looking for another one right as this one goes to a family member. Too good to sell off. Easier to work on than a Honda."

5 years 70k later

By on Friday, December 07, 2007

"We bough ours in 02 with 100k on it, no extended warranty. Consistently got 20mpg to and from work average 55mph. Sometimes saw 23mpg on interstate road trips with a little Lucas fuel additive. 19mpg was the lowest we saw during the winter months. Traded in my 01 Wrangler Sahara for it because the Sahara was noisy and a very bumpy ride. The 4runner has a smooth comfortable ride. We took it to Florida twice. At about 120k had to replace the automatic transmission. For the next 50k usual wear, tires, brake pads, rotors, exhaust system. Goes Good in snow, 4wd works great. Rear hatches usually rust out, we had to have ours fixed. Overall, the reset of the body and frame were rust free. The vehicle has been in NW PA for all its life. We totalled ours at 170k and are considering another one. The only down side is its price. But we did get about 7500 from our insurance."

Excellent vehicle. Quality is tops.

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

Pros: "Quality."

Cons: "Trucky handling and ride, but it is a work horse"

"I have owned this 4Runner 14 years and have had excellent service. It still uses no oil between changes and everything works. I did replace the starter on it once but other than the maintenance schedule, have done nothing to it other than the normal wear items of brakes and tires."

Toyota 4Runners and 4 wheel drive trucks AAA+.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "4+4's pricey but best,Cars best in all catagories."

Cons: "I perfer the 1979 price than the 2014 price."

"I've owned 3 Toyota 4Runners all 4+4's but one, four Toyota 4+4 trucks, 3 Toyota cars, Celica, Avalon and Camry most exceeding 100,000 to 200,000 thousand miles. Not one has ever failed, not even a flaw. My wife loves her Toyota for handling, sporty, most of all reliability. I perform routine servicing, oil & filter change, air filter, antifreeze, lube, cleaning interior and exterior. I do purchase extreme off-road tires for hunting, keep original tires for driving. I purchased a 1979 Toyota 4+4 truck and have owned one ever since. They are extremely durable and reliable. As an avid outdoorsman, hunting, fishing locally and abroad, Toyota is all I will buy. I've owned 5 other manufacturers 4+4's, a couple high end models, all left me stranded. You maintain your Toyota they will maintain you."

toyota at its finest

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "sunroof, power sliding rear window, value, confort"

Cons: "no third row"

"the 1997 Toyota 4runner is a reliable SUV that has never let me down. its sunroof and power sliding rear window make trip to the keys worth wild. our 4runner has been with us since the day it went on the market. it was worth the purchase and I look forward to putting another 200000 miles on it."

Best Vehicle I've ever had..

By on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Pros: "Little maintenance, reliable"

Cons: "stiff ride"

"I bought the 1999 4Runner Limited from my fathers neighbor,with 225000 miles. It was to be a second vehicle for my wife when she needed more room. We drove to El Paso, 850 miles, next year to Myrtle Beach, 1100 miles, and then to Illinois, 900 miles. It got passed to daughter #1 for several years, then to daughter #2. I have replaced the driveshaft, valve cover gaskets, and several fluid changes, and tire sets. It burns NO oil !! Just keeps going, and going... I really hate to see it go, but it is now showing age, several dings from parking lots, a Deer which decided to cross in front of it. As the youngest is now a Senior, I think it is time for a newer 4Runner."