2000 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 803 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

Absolutely best ever

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "reliable -always starts - classic look - good ride"

Cons: "gas mileage - can be tippy"

"When my granddaughter told me I needed a new car, I said to her, "Darling, cars are like men. When you find a good one,that gives you little trouble, doesn't cost much, keep it - even when it goes out of style." That's this car - the best, most reliable, steady-Eddy I ever owned. 8000miles/yr - very low maintenance - It's a long-term winner."

Very Reliable, Strong, Powerful SUV

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Engine is excellent, ETC power, alloy wheels"

Cons: "Gas mileage, and position of cup holder"

"I am the orignal owner of my '97 4Runner SR5/4WD. I have high expections and it deliveries. I have had no major engine or component issues. Timing belt was replaced twice each 80K. Gas mileage could be better I am aveaging about 18 mpg combined, it better on the highway. It has pretty much kept it's value."

Like a loyal friend

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "4wd setup, rear window, reliability, durability"

"Bought this 4runner in 2002 with 20k miles. Put some Old Man Emu shocks and springs on it and have been happy every since I've owned it. The harder I drive it the better it runs. I take it off road every chance I get and have dogged the heck out of it and it just keeps going. I still smile everytime I get in it to drive it. Love the 2wd, permanent 4wd, 4hi /4lo set up. Don't know if I can own a vehicle without a power back window ever again. It's the perfect size; small enough for trails and parking lots but large enough to lay the back seats down and sleep in during camping trips. Tows a 19ft boat with ease and has withstood Labrador Retrievers pouncing on the seats for 12 yrs. Bottom line: it tows, it hauls, has good road manners and very capable off roading straight out of the box."

Toyota 4Runners and 4 wheel drive trucks AAA+.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "4+4's pricey but best,Cars best in all catagories."

Cons: "I perfer the 1979 price than the 2014 price."

"I've owned 3 Toyota 4Runners all 4+4's but one, four Toyota 4+4 trucks, 3 Toyota cars, Celica, Avalon and Camry most exceeding 100,000 to 200,000 thousand miles. Not one has ever failed, not even a flaw. My wife loves her Toyota for handling, sporty, most of all reliability. I perform routine servicing, oil & filter change, air filter, antifreeze, lube, cleaning interior and exterior. I do purchase extreme off-road tires for hunting, keep original tires for driving. I purchased a 1979 Toyota 4+4 truck and have owned one ever since. They are extremely durable and reliable. As an avid outdoorsman, hunting, fishing locally and abroad, Toyota is all I will buy. I've owned 5 other manufacturers 4+4's, a couple high end models, all left me stranded. You maintain your Toyota they will maintain you."

WORTH WAAAAY MORE THAN $5000!!! Way More!!!

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "EVERYTHING!!!"

Cons: "Wished I bought one sooner."

"The TRUE VALUE of your Toyota 4Runner is based on the TRUE VALUE and what people are WILLING to pay for it. Because it is such an AWESOME, RELIABLE, GREAT Truck, it is worth waaaaay more than this Blue Book says in my opinion. Just ask any 4Runner owner that stops by you. In the WA state area these are selling for $8-10k with ease."

Read Consumer reports before purchase in 2002

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable. Well built. V-6 gets down the road"

Cons: "Location of cupholder."

"2nd owner of my 97 V-6 SR5. Purchased in 2002 with 45K miles for 22,000.00 from dealership. Never a problem and now has 156000 miles. At 90K I had the timing belt done and my Toyota mechanic ( who is a friend ) said it did not need to be replaced-that the belt was fine. There was a recall on the rear coil spring that Toyota covered in 2002. We Change oil every 3000 get tires rotated and I keep garaged and clean. Runs like new and truck is still tight. The only complaint I have is the location of the cupholder. I have had people ask me what year it is as they want one. I will never sell it and to me it is worth way more than KBB shows."

I WILL NEVER SELL THIS CAR SO DON'T ASK

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "Great investment and a pleasure to drive."

Cons: "not new"

"Kelly valued my car at $4,036, I paid about $15,000 second hand off a dealership and I will never sell my car! Men have asked to buy my car and I wonder why they want it; I know why I won't sell it. My car is worth more than $4k, it's 4 cylinders and it's the best money I ever spent. What ever my car needs I get it and give it to her. She is parked all year in doors. I use her for my cake deliveries and she has taken me to Key West Florida 4 times with no problem, My foot already knows how fast we are doing, I love my car if I buy or want another car I will have two because she is mine until death do us part."

My video

My Toyota rides nicer than the scenery looks.!!!!!!!!!

This is an excellent SUV

By on Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pros: "Extremely low maintenance for 210000mi"

"Rain or snow or freeway this Forerunner works just fine."

Great Daily Driver, Great Off-road, Very Reliable

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "Great off-road, very reliable."

"This is a very reliable vehicle. No matter how many miles are on it. As long as it's been taken care of, it will run forever. It's great off-road. It's great in the snow, it's great on any terrain. Even stock, it will get you through any terrain. Mine has 305k miles and runs like new. The 3.4 liter V6 is one of the best engines Toyota has ever made. The only thing I don't like about this vehicle, is the front suspension. Toyota should have put a solid axel in these, instead of IFS."

good condition, only one owner

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

"good condition, only one owner"

I love my 4runner, over 200,000 miles going strong

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Joy to drive, relable, great quality."

Cons: "Gas mileage is poor."

"I am owner number 5 of my 2000 4runner, bought it with 195,000 miles on it and 10 months later it has 207,000. Great vehicle, very durable and the quality is great. Leather seats still look brand new after 14 years. This thing is a tank I feel very safe. I got in a accident in the snow in this car and it didn't even leave a mark on mine. There is not doubt in my mind that my 4runner will make it to 300,000 miles. Someday soon I hope ill be buying a new 4runner."

toyota 4runners are great trucks

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

"kelly bluebook is not even close on its value with toyotas,,,shows my truck at 3300,,,,i searched for 6 monthes,,,could not even find 1 less than 5500,,,,do sum real research"

toyota at its finest

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "sunroof, power sliding rear window, value, confort"

Cons: "no third row"

"the 1997 Toyota 4runner is a reliable SUV that has never let me down. its sunroof and power sliding rear window make trip to the keys worth wild. our 4runner has been with us since the day it went on the market. it was worth the purchase and I look forward to putting another 200000 miles on it."

Excellent veh for the money

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Great on gas and power"

Cons: "Transmission cooler inside radiator"

"I bought mine used in good condition. It drives, rides and handles great. I like SUV types and have owned Jeeps in the past. This meets my expectations of an SUV. Its built well and I now have 220k on it and it still has many more to go! My only complaint is the driver seat is coming apart at the entry side seam and the seat foam hasn't held up well. I am a light weight person and the driver seat is sagging. It could have been made with a little more durable materials and better stitching. I don't like the transmission cooler inside the radiator. It can cause problems when developing leaks. It is a cheap fix to replace the radiator system. Thats my only 2 complaints! No veh is perfect and I love my toyota!"

Wonderful car!

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Strong car but fun to drive"

Cons: "no 3.5mm jack input"

"I have my Toyota 4Runner since 2002. Never broken! I just change the oil when it is due. No mechanic or electric problem."

Best vehicle, can't wear it out

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Durable and reliable"

"I bought this vehicle slightly used in 1999. Best money I ever spent. Because I am a travel nurse, and my family is concerned about the high mileage (but not me), I have had 2 brand new Camry's since then. I still prefer my old trusty 4 runner! Just bought an 08, for a steal, and I hope to get the same service. No major problems yet. And only 3 sets of tires."

old faithful

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "great work-horse and easy on gas"

Cons: "a little too top heavy"

"This well-built dependable vehicle will last another 100,000 +miles.I'm at a point where my M.S. is dictating to me for safety reasons I must get automatic transmission.Since 1968 when I was 18 this is only my fifth Toyota."

An excellent all terrain vehicle w/gr8 reliability

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Good value and a lot of fun to drive."

Cons: "Would love to get a bit better gas mileage."

"This vehicle has been a very reliable and comfortable truck for me. Mostly highway driving with limited towing. Only getting rid of it to go from 2 vehicles to 1 with with the hopes of splitting the gas mileage between my corolla and the 4runner."

Love it but I'm concerned about gear issue

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

"I'm was told recently (by my mechanic) that my car was stuck in 3rd gear??? I took my 4 runner in to the shop b/c I thought the transmission was slipping... Wouldn't I feel/do serious damage to my transmission driving in 3rd gear in speeds in excess of 60 mph."

1996 4Runner Limited Super Duper nice truck

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "Drive train, Cargo capacity, drive-ability, looks"

Cons: "Breaking could be better with tundra brake upgrade"

"I have had many Toyotas in the past and I know the 3.4L engines in these trucks are down right awesome engines. I can take or leave lush leather interior, cup holders, power sunroof, etc... But the drive train is straight up legendary. The amount of room in my 96 4Runner is ample enough to haul my family including the dogs as well as camping gear and enough supplies for our weekend getaway's. The newer 4Runners are very nice and plush with hefty price tags but the older generations meet my needs much better in price and constant dependability. I really like the body style of the 96 4 Runner. The body lines flow down the sides and just make it look tougher than the newer ones. If you have a chance to purchase one you will not go wrong what so ever providing it has been taken care of in the past."

Best vehicle ever over 400,000 and won't die

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "very very dependable"

Cons: "brakes wear out sooner than expected."

"I have had this vehicle for 13 years and haven't had to replace any major parts yet!!! Love this vehicle wish I didn't have to give it up but I really got my monies worth out of this car. I have driven it up and down the east coast with no issues at all. The motor and transmission won't quit and still are pretty smooth for a suv of this age."

LOVE my 4runner

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, Utility"

"I bought my 96 SR5 from my old man in 2005 when it had 90K miles and it has treated me very, very well. Only problems I've had were EGR valve and a radiator leak. All the rest has been preventive maintenance. Doesn't have a ton of power and doesn't get the best mileage in the world, but it's an older SUV, so I shouldn't complain. Does great on and off road, and pulls my 6x12 enclosed trailer full of stuff just fine. Blue book probably says its only worth 4500, but there's no way I'd sell it for that."

Best vehicle I have ever had. I love it!

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Like the seats and warmers; like sitting high."

Cons: "Some of the plastic parts break - cup holders,etc."

"The reliablity has been wonderful. I have had no maintenance on the car other than the 3000 mile oil change, which I have kept on time. Even the tires lasted. I have bought new tires only once in twelve years. I fully recommend this car. I will actually be sorrowful when I have to get a new car, but it will be a Toyota."

325k reliable miles

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "reliable low maintenance"

"My 1996 sr5 v6 4runner has been very reliable for the 14 years I have owned it. She hit 325k miles recently and shows no sign of quitting. I did buy a 1 year old Lexus when my 4runner hit 225k miles thinking my 4runner would die soon. The Lexus sat in the garage for 3 years seldomly used. Sure my friends and family gave me a hard time when I sold my 4 year old, paid off, low mileage Lexus. I prefer to drive my unstoppable 4runner what can I say! With all the money I am saving by Not paying car payments or repairs, I think I will retire early."

love it, want another one.

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

"This is the best car I have ever owned. Nothing but toyota for me. I am keeping this one for back up. Just looking for one for my wife. It's a TANK, very safe. I have drivien it all over the country; without a problem. Mass air flow sensor turned on the check eng. light. Other than that no problem."