1999 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 798 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

best 1 ever owned

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

"I am 54 year old and no plans on selling bought it in 2000 and has been the most reliable auto ever owned!!"

My Favorite Vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, sturdy, and ageless design"

Cons: "Nothing major"

"I've had my 1997 for over 11 years and it only was touched by a mechanic earlier this year for the first time to have the original struts and rear brake pads replaced. Last week, a 17 year old girl in Kansas pulled in front of my wife in my 4Runner and collided with her. I was beside myself in Texas upon getting that phone call. Of course the superficial (no air bag deployment) damage to the entire front, hood, and quarter panel automatically totaled the 4Runner. I spoke with the body repair shop in St. Joseph, Kansas and he said that he has never seen a more immaculate, well cared for '97 ever. I explained to him that I wanted to keep it practically forever. He said he could put it back to original condition, it would just cost me some money above and beyond the conditions of the total settlement. It's worth it to me to have it fixed (with Toyota parts) and keep it. It has a good 150K at least left in it. A great travel vehicle. Being a 4 cylinder, it won't win any races, but it will fly down the highway. It has never burned a drop of oil in between changes. I've only changed the starter, oxygen sensor, and the radiator/water pump preventively at 126K. I look forward to taking possession of it from the body shop and driving it back to Texas, to safe and sound in my garage, ready for the next road trip."

Great vehicle!! Still has original brakes.

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"I'll hate to part with car."

My 7th Toyota and it's the BEST ONE YET

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Ground clearance, reliability, sturdy, hauling"

Cons: "NONE"

"I am the original owner of this 1999 4Runner, which was purchased in Oct 1998. 14 years later this vehicle feels like a new car every time I get in it. At 5'2" I was looking for a car that would allow better site on the road. The ground clearance is 11" and I couldn't be happier with that! I follow the scheduled maintenance exactly. At 197,000 miles, I already know I will need my 3rd timing belt in 23,000 miles. I get 26-32 mpg, well above the stated estimate. My 1st Toyota had 315,000 miles before being sold for $2500. An amazing resale price. I would recommend any Toyota product to everyone. Once a Toyota owner, always a Toyota owner."

Terrific vehicle.

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Robust, go anywhere SUV."

Cons: "timing belt and water pump R&R needed every 90K."

"Bought the '97 4Runner SR5 off lease in 2000. In 2004 added a TRD supercharger, OEM (Old Man Emu)suspension and an additional Transmission cooler in order to pull a 21' trailer. I also had a shift kit put in the transmission and heavier aftermarket clutches. I have run Amsoil synthetic in every thing from gear cases to Engine. The only reason I am even considering selling it is a failed lower radiator hose clamp that dumped all my coolant when the hose popped off as we started for vacation this year, and the repair costs will be more than it is worth. It has never overheated, it still has the same AC, power steering pump and alternator and fuel pump. I have only replaced brakes and batteries along with an occasional ball joint. I have also needed to replace the timing belt and water pump on a regular (90K)basis. I get 16 mpg around town and 23 on the highway at 65mph. It is my second 4Runner and I would recommend it to anyone. The ride is a little stiff and it corners with a little body roll, after all it is built on the Tacoma truck chassis. It has and extremely short turning radius, and the electric locking rear differential has pulled me out of trouble numerous times. I expected to get 300,000 miles out of it without any major problems, even the supercharger has operated flawlessly and has not seemed to have strained the engine at all. It used no oil between changes, leaves no spots when parked and starts with the first turn of the key. My fishing and hunting friends always leave their chevys and fords at home and want me to drive. I've probably sold more 4Runners, Tacomas and FJ's than a lot of car salesmen. Even my wife, if having to chose one vehicle would take the 4Runner over our car, even though the care is 15 years newer."

awesome vehicle

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, good gas mileage 20 miles to gallon,"

"I've never enjoyed a vehicle as long as I have with this one. I used to get a new vehicle every year or two, I've had this vehicle since 2000 and have no intention of replacing it."

Toyot 4Runner: I own and love this vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "decent mpg, 5000lb tow pkg, low maintnence"

Cons: "none that i can think of off hand"

"I bought my 2000 4runner from my brother in Texas with 180,000 miles on it. After i did all of the general maintenance it ran great, i ended up having to change the MAF sensor and the spark plugs and wires. but after that it now runs excelland, i drove it 1,400 miles from Texas to Michigan and it ran like a champ the whole way. I would recommend this car to any first time buyer, very reliable. Decent mpg for an suv 16 city, 19 hwy. Over all i love this vehicle and would highly recommend it to anyone."

Toyot 4Runner: I own and love this vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "decent mpg, 5000lb tow pkg, low maintnence"

Cons: "none that i can think of off hand"

Toyota: Very good quality products

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "very relieable"

Cons: "manual shift"

"Have had 4 runner from begining. Got it new. Reliability excellent. Have had some usual things done: Brakes, alternator, minor transmission, It has 225K miles. Will probabaly buy another toyota soon. David"

Reliable and Useful

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Last a life time"

Cons: "High profile- easy to roll"

"Wish I did own this car. It has some major work needed to repair the four x four."

his name is ethan

By on Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive, very stylish car"

Cons: "not good in snow"

"i love my car. leather seats (which can also be a pain) sunroof, power seats. a comfortable car to me, although to others its too high lol but it is an suv. not too good in the snow, and in the midwest, snow is the norm, only 2 wheel drive. doesnt have many problems, or really any at all. there is an automatic retractable antenna that broke so it no longer goes back down, and for a while my car would make a grinding sound that stopped after a few months. then debris hit my car and the antenna broke. a whole chain of events. so now my car radio isnt too good and i plan on getting that fixed. other than that, everything seems good and he works good for a 12 year old car, and it doesnt look 12. very nice looking car. very pleased"

I want to drive nothing else!

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "large, reliable"

Cons: "low gas mileage"

"Best car and extremely reliable, always feel safe driving my old 4Runner."

BEST CAR EVER!

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

"I BOUGHT THIS CAR NEW...IT HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR ANYTHING BUT A BRAKE JOB AND ROUTINE OIL CHANGES. THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE WITH IT IS WE HAVE OUTGROWN IT. BOUGHT IT WHEN MY KIDS WERE BABIES AND HATE IT SELL IT..IT'S A GREAT COMMUTER CAR. STILL GETS 25 MPG...I WILL PROBABLY KEEP IT ONE MORE YEAR."

I have owned 3 Toyota 4 runners. All amazing!

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Sturdy, reliable, great turn. radius, + gas milage"

Cons: "None in my opinion."

"I currently own a 1996 and 2005 model. The 1996 model is by far my favorite, although because it is a manual and I have had a knee injury, I now primarily drive the 05 automatic. The 05 is more of a luxury vehicle opposed to the 96 model, which is more rugged and in my opinion is the sturdiest, hardiest vehicle I've ever owned, and was built to last. And...there's no plastic anything! I traveled across the country and back twice for two years in the 96. I had it totally dialed in with a built in bed, camping gear, and everything I needed to off-road and experience as much unspoiled land and elements of nature as possible. What an amazing life experience and journey of the spirit I had! Sadly, she's been un-garaged for almost twelve years now, and the elements have understandably taken there toll on the old girls overall appearance. However, regardless of the cosmetic damage she's indured, she still runs like a dream, and I've never had any problems with her. I cannot recommend this vehicle highly enough. My husband and I have said that we're going to keep her and do some cosmetic improvements as soon as we have a garage that we can put her in to protect our investment. If you're considering a 96 4-runner, I can't imagine that you'd ever regret buying one, provided the owner took care of it, and was diligent about having her maintained and serviced regularly. Peace and blessings to all."

I Love my 4Runner

By on Thursday, May 02, 2013

Pros: "Looks, comfort, and power"

Cons: "Electrical System not reliable"

"I love this 4Runner, but it is not reliable. I've had a problem with the electrical system, which seems to align with many owners according to Toyota forums, a phantom battery drain. If I want to drive the vehicle the next morning I have to pull the MPX-B and Dome circuits fuses. I have done this for the last year. Noone has an answer. Last dealer said they probably would not be able to find the problem. And at $100/hour charge, just not feasible. This is the only problem I have with the vehicle. Compared to newer vehicles, I still have the best deal around. New 4Runner are $45,000--what a joke."

Awesome SUV, Buy one Used!

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Power, Comfortable, Ground Clearance"

Cons: "Firm Ride/Suspension"

"I purchased a Black 2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition with 164000 miles on it for $8400 about 4 months ago. I have driven it a little over 5000 miles so far and am very happy overall with the car. This SUV handles very well considering it's high ground clearance. It has very good power. Seats and Interior is comfortable. It gets good gas mileage at 17/19 and has been absolutely reliable. I would definitely purchase this car again. The verdict is to get yourself one cause they are so worth it."

By far the best put together vehicle I have owned

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Value, durability, capability, overall balance"

Cons: "Stock brakes and sway bars need to be upgraded"

"Tis 4runner has served the family well. From hauling the dogs to hauling our 2 adopted boys. Turned from a family SUV to a work truck over the years. Survived almost being sold and then I repossessed her from the non-paying buyer. She shows her age in a few plastic pieces and the leather is a limited complete seat swap when we bought her and its showing wear, but she purrs! I've had the typical breaks a weak, engine can be rather underpowered and...well that's it. Did have to replace an injector....other than that its been oil and gas. Upgraded the brakes, tires/wheels, sway bars, audio, SR5 to limited leather power seats and headers/exhaust, so she sounds properly "loud", but nothing serious, major or troubling. If you can find one of these with lower miles, medium miles or even high miles, buy it. This is the best setup Toyota has put out to date."

Owned this 1997 since 1999, never any problems

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"This 4 Runner now has 225,000 miles with never a major issue. Only recently has the rear wheel seal has begun to leak and the key lock cylinder is slipping. Transmission, engine, AC, etc. have all been good. Body looks good, all is well on this SUV. I have babied it though with oil changes every 4m-5m, tuneups, etc... Great vehicle"

I love it !

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Rugged, dependable, tough SUV."

I LOVE my 4runner

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

Pros: "I feel awesome when driving it"

Cons: "Have had some mechanical problems"

"I just love the chrome on it and if the new 4runners had chrome bumpers I would trade it in for a new one. I enjoy the ride and the height of it, I can see for miles and miles and miles LOL!"

mini toyota landcruiser

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

"I have owned my 96 4runner SR5 v6 for 13 trouble free years. It will hit 300k miles next week. Will probably replace it with another 4runner when this one quits."

Have $1500 worth of work done on this car.

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

"It is a 1996 Toyota 4 Runner and has 176,452 thousand miles on it and have put in $1500 repair."

Solid mid-size SUV

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Good looking SUV, great ride, plenty of room."

Cons: "No rear A/C, MPG isn't that great."

"I am the second owner of my 4Runner and it has been great so far. I've only had 2 issues with it that were not too surprising from a high mileage vehicle. It rides and handles well and I believe that as long as I maintain it that the 4Runner will easily last many more years. The only downside to it is the MPG. I average anywhere from 15-17 mpg."

pretty amazing vehicle!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "great all around vehicle"

Cons: "engine compartment is a little cramped"

"the toyota 4runner, in my experience, is one of the best all-around production vehicles made. especially in when looking at the 3rd gen models. with the creation of the highlander toyota developers were allowed to develop the 3rd gen 4runners, and later models, to be specifically enhanced offroad. while also still maintaining great on road performance and handling. on road they ride smooth, turn accurately, with little to no oversteer, and accelerate aggressively. off road they keep an astonishing weight to power ratio and are able to pull you out of whatever you may find yourself in. even on street tires with open differentials you still wont be stopped. and like all other toyotas they are build to last. im pushing 250,000 miles now with no signs of wearing down."

Solid. Best truck you will ever buy

By on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, looks, big interior, solid quality"

Cons: "NO CUP HOLDER!"

"I bought my 97 4Runner SR5 with 196K on it(all stock) and i now have 222K on her. LIterally not a single problem. Even before i bought her, i checked maint. records and she had only been to the shop for routine oil swaps/tires etc. She always starts up even in this cold weather, always gets me from point A to B with little effort involved, and she honestly drives like shes got less than 60K on her. so smooth, and this old body style on the 4Runner arsenal is in my opinion the best looking. Paint has ZERO oxidization spots(i wash and wax her weekly) i still get roughly 20MPG on freeway. i have NEVER NEVER NEVERRR seen a vehicle with such unparalelled quality. This truck is a TANK. IT WILL NOT DIE!! DO yourself a huge favor and snag yourself a 97 4runner. These bad boys are known for running 400K strong, and i plan on driving mine until the doors fall off."