1999 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 835 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

1999 4runner

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"1999 4runner - 133k and counting I love my truck. Not to big not too small, just right. My wife drives it more than I do and I don't think she could handle a bigger SUV. I have listed what I think are the PROS and CONS of the vehicle. I would highly recommend it. PROS: Looks - Still looks like a late model, paint has held up Reliable - Routine maintenance. Only brakes and starter have been replaced. Value - Lots of amenities for the price Creature comforts - Quiet ride, Good stereo, roll down rear window, moonroof, leather, etc. CONS: Gas Mileage - City could be better. Highway mpg is 20-22, not bad Power - 187 hp is too low"

It never gives up, keeps on going!

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Legendary bullet proof reliability!"

Cons: "Gas mileage and the bad cup holder design."

"If you where too choose a vehicle to fight a war in. The 1997 Toyota 4runner would be that vehicle. This is the best truck I've ever owned, it is bullet proof. It just keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and even after 240,000 miles, it still keeps going. This truck was built to last and to take abuse but it will never give up. It never breaks down, it never complains, it just keeps on running. I bought it brand new in early 1997 with just 8 miles on the odometer, and now 17 year later and 240,000 miles later, it still never gives up and always keep running. It is comfortable with plenty of room for the whole family, has tons of cargo space, and its legendary bullet proof reliability."

WORTH WAAAAY MORE THAN $5000!!! Way More!!!

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "EVERYTHING!!!"

Cons: "Wished I bought one sooner."

"The TRUE VALUE of your Toyota 4Runner is based on the TRUE VALUE and what people are WILLING to pay for it. Because it is such an AWESOME, RELIABLE, GREAT Truck, it is worth waaaaay more than this Blue Book says in my opinion. Just ask any 4Runner owner that stops by you. In the WA state area these are selling for $8-10k with ease."

My Favorite Vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, sturdy, and ageless design"

Cons: "Nothing major"

"I've had my 1997 for over 11 years and it only was touched by a mechanic earlier this year for the first time to have the original struts and rear brake pads replaced. Last week, a 17 year old girl in Kansas pulled in front of my wife in my 4Runner and collided with her. I was beside myself in Texas upon getting that phone call. Of course the superficial (no air bag deployment) damage to the entire front, hood, and quarter panel automatically totaled the 4Runner. I spoke with the body repair shop in St. Joseph, Kansas and he said that he has never seen a more immaculate, well cared for '97 ever. I explained to him that I wanted to keep it practically forever. He said he could put it back to original condition, it would just cost me some money above and beyond the conditions of the total settlement. It's worth it to me to have it fixed (with Toyota parts) and keep it. It has a good 150K at least left in it. A great travel vehicle. Being a 4 cylinder, it won't win any races, but it will fly down the highway. It has never burned a drop of oil in between changes. I've only changed the starter, oxygen sensor, and the radiator/water pump preventively at 126K. I look forward to taking possession of it from the body shop and driving it back to Texas, to safe and sound in my garage, ready for the next road trip."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pros: "Versatility of this vehicle. It does it all."

Cons: "Not a whole lot of power"

"This car does it all. I can drive/park in cities with ease, fly down country roads, or go off-roading. I use my 4Runner to do alot of things, so the folding rear seats are a great feature. On average I get about 21 mpg."

Best SUV I've owned.

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "maintenance free"

Cons: "can't think of anything"

"I've owned this 4runner for three years and have had zero problems. I've changed the oil and air filter and had the ac recharged. That's all. It still runs like new at 150k miles"

Love my 4runner

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

The back of the 4runner is my dog's favorite place to be.

"I bought my 4runner used about 10 years ago. It now has 300,000+ miles. I changed the plugs and wires about 10,000 miles ago, and the plugs looked brand new. They were original factory install. It's a 2wd; I'd love for it to be 4wd, but it's very capable offroad. The 2wd models have many of the parts which are made for the 4wd. (skidplates, beefier suspension parts, etc.) Some parts, after 300,000 miles just wear out and need to be replaced. Bushings, steering components, brakes, etc. The engine and tranny are still solid though. I plan on trading it in soon for a newer 4runner with less miles and 4wd."

The back of the 4runner is my dog's favorite place to be.

Love these Toyota SUVs!

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Extremely dependable! In 10yrs this suv has had only minor work done : water pump,shocks and brakes. Looking for the next one!"

Great car/truck/suv

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "Great looks, fun to drive around town, dependable."

Cons: "Radio antenna, interstate driving."

"Great overall automobile. Has never let me down. Motorized radio antenna gave out at about 50,000 miles, a bad 02 censor at about 80,000, and leaking water pump at 95,000, but other than that it has been great. Not the greatest for interstate driving as it is high and narrow, but not too bad. Plan on keeping it in the family for many years to come. Highly recommended."

Gooing for half a million miles.

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "durablilty,dependable, reliable"

Cons: "minor cosmetic over time"

"Best vehhicle ever owned. Been thru all extremes Wyoming winter,Minnesota blizzards, Missouri heat and humidity, etc..... Jaws drop when they see my mileage, because it still lloks good. Drawback....the drivers seat can need a facelift (leather is rippied and cracked....still great)"