1999 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 835 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

Absolute best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "Best reliability ever."

Cons: "Still rides like a truck, but not bad."

"Bought the vehicle in 1999 with 52K miles on it. Have had the vehicle now 15 years and have added approximately 400K more. My maintenance consists primarily of oil changes for high mileage vehicles, fluid top offs and the occasional radiator flush and AC service. It has never let me down. At roughly 450K miles, I'm about to have my first major repair, having several engine oil leaks repaired at a cost of $1300. The vehicle still runs well inspite of the small leaks. Not bad for a 17 year old vehicle, and physically, it still looks almost new. I have told friends and family many times, I will never not own at least one Toyota."

Absolutely best ever

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "reliable -always starts - classic look - good ride"

Cons: "gas mileage - can be tippy"

"When my granddaughter told me I needed a new car, I said to her, "Darling, cars are like men. When you find a good one,that gives you little trouble, doesn't cost much, keep it - even when it goes out of style." That's this car - the best, most reliable, steady-Eddy I ever owned. 8000miles/yr - very low maintenance - It's a long-term winner."

LOVE LOVE my 4Runner

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "Solid smooth feel. Super reliable. Looks cool!"

Cons: "Small for a family of 4. No bigger than a Prius."

"I bought this used when it was one year old. I've now had it 10 years and the only thing that stopped working was the motor for the radio antenna. Nothing else has EVER gone wrong with this. I've had the normal routine tune-ups and it just keeps going and going. We could and should buy a bigger more expensive vehicle but I'm torn because I love this so much!"

These Used Toyota 4 Runners are BULLIT PROOF !!!

By on Friday, November 07, 2014

Pros: "It will get you there and back safely !!"

Cons: "Rides like a Truck,a bit under powered !!"

"If you are in the Market for a Terrific 4 Wheel drive Vehicle, You cant do better than a Toyota 4 Runner no matter what the miles on it !! Do a search and try and find one used,from 1995 to 2005 there just are not any around !! There plenty of Jeeps,Ford Explorers,a ton of GMC's and Chevys 4X4's and only a few 4 Runners,that in it;s self should tell you something !"

pretty amazing vehicle!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "great all around vehicle"

Cons: "engine compartment is a little cramped"

"the toyota 4runner, in my experience, is one of the best all-around production vehicles made. especially in when looking at the 3rd gen models. with the creation of the highlander toyota developers were allowed to develop the 3rd gen 4runners, and later models, to be specifically enhanced offroad. while also still maintaining great on road performance and handling. on road they ride smooth, turn accurately, with little to no oversteer, and accelerate aggressively. off road they keep an astonishing weight to power ratio and are able to pull you out of whatever you may find yourself in. even on street tires with open differentials you still wont be stopped. and like all other toyotas they are build to last. im pushing 250,000 miles now with no signs of wearing down."

Excellent vehicle, very reliable!

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "Excellent and reliable vehicle from all points of view"

Cons: "None!"

"I own this car now for 11 years and is driving like new. Excellent engine and pretty good on gas comparable with newer models!Never have any issues other that normal tear and wear (tires, brakes, belts). High value retention, too. Highly recommended."

Best vehicle I have ever had. I love it!

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Like the seats and warmers; like sitting high."

Cons: "Some of the plastic parts break - cup holders,etc."

"The reliablity has been wonderful. I have had no maintenance on the car other than the 3000 mile oil change, which I have kept on time. Even the tires lasted. I have bought new tires only once in twelve years. I fully recommend this car. I will actually be sorrowful when I have to get a new car, but it will be a Toyota."

Besy suv ever build by toyota

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Cons: "none,"

"I build my 4runner on/off road, arb front bumper, yakima roofrack,lift kit, and 32" tires and this truck keeps in an amazing good condition, mud, wet roads, snow, sand, you name it nothing stop this car. And the best, vary cheap maintenance, regular gas, easy to work on it, $200 for a full tune-up...!!!! DIY."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Great family recreational vehicle"

Cons: "unkown at this time"

"I purchased a used 1999 4runner SRS with 167k. I heard that Toyota 4runners were reliable and a good family vehicle. I have had no complaints. It rides better than my previous car which was a 2004. My 9 year old loves the rear floor A/C unit in the summer and heater in the winter. All windows including my sunroof can be rolled down during those few nice days in Phoenix. I had to replace normal wear and tear items such as belts and hoses, but with regular oil changes I havent had any major issues. I have taken our 4Runner to Jerome, Sedona, Tuscon, never once having manuevering problems or offroading problems.I installed an aftermarket safari rack on it and looks very appealing. Within the first year of purchase I have had at least three random people ask if we were thinking about selling. I have approximately 197k original miles and still running like its new. The interior is strong, but not as easy to clean as the new tighter woven fabric. I am able to fit 2 adults 3 kids 9-16 in the back and three full sized Labs in the rear,no problem. The rear seat folds completely down where i have carried lumber and hiking gear including 2 mountain bikes.The rear had many tie down spots to allow bungie cords to be strapped down to prevent shifting of contents. For a 99 I was pleasantly surprised that all windows were power and that they were so smooth and quick. The driver has the ablility to do a one-touch press so both drivers and passengers window goes down at once. This feature is great, I dont like taking my hand off the wheel offroading and holding a button down to roll down the passenger window. Overall this is a great vehicle, has met all my families needs and I would recommend this vehicle to friends and families."

2000 4-Runner

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I've owned Toyota's since 1984, started overseas with a Celica hatchback. Moved back to the states in '86 and got another used Celica hatchback then quickly moved up to a new pickup. Then within the year I saw my first 4-Runner and just had to get it. It was a new '86, yes that's right I went from a Celica to a pickup to the 4-Runner in just a year (just so it's clear, I wasn't disappointed with the first two). I kept that runner (a 4-banger) for 14 years, it even went to Germany with me for 8 years. It took me to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, East Germany and all over West Germany. I really abused it over there in Europe, like not changing oil, not polishing, and very high speeds. I even had a low speed head on collision with a small pickup (Ford Courier type) in '93...I won, the other pickup was totalled but I drove home, luckily there were no injuries. The only problems I had was a leaky water pump, a stuck closed thermostat, and bad oil pump. Back in Idaho I finally traded up in 2000 to this one. It was the last standard stick shift on the lot. I put 82K on it so far and I'm taking a lot better care of this one than I did my first. Only had two major problems, both rt & lt rear axle bearing boots failed (not at the same time) and had to replace the bearings seals and brake shoes (soaked with oil). One under warranty and the other 20K miles later. I did have the automatic antenna mast replaced but that was because of a couple winters worth of driving through freezing fog. The ice build up tends to wreak havoc on the drive when it tries to pull it back down. Gas mileage is still steady at 19 MPG. Best is 22, worst was 13 when pulling a U-haul trailer 600 miles from Idaho to Vegas. Did very well on the 2,700 mile trip from Boise to Montgomery, the trip back was the same. I plan on keeping this till it dies...Sorry Toyota I'm a loyal customer but I won't be buying another for a long time. Toyota, I don't see how anyone could go wrong with buying one, the value far exceeds the price. I'm actually thinking of adding a Prius, Tundra, or Sienna to my garage...we'll see."