1998 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 858 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

pretty amazing vehicle!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "great all around vehicle"

Cons: "engine compartment is a little cramped"

"the toyota 4runner, in my experience, is one of the best all-around production vehicles made. especially in when looking at the 3rd gen models. with the creation of the highlander toyota developers were allowed to develop the 3rd gen 4runners, and later models, to be specifically enhanced offroad. while also still maintaining great on road performance and handling. on road they ride smooth, turn accurately, with little to no oversteer, and accelerate aggressively. off road they keep an astonishing weight to power ratio and are able to pull you out of whatever you may find yourself in. even on street tires with open differentials you still wont be stopped. and like all other toyotas they are build to last. im pushing 250,000 miles now with no signs of wearing down."

LOVE LOVE my 4Runner

By on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pros: "Solid smooth feel. Super reliable. Looks cool!"

Cons: "Small for a family of 4. No bigger than a Prius."

"I bought this used when it was one year old. I've now had it 10 years and the only thing that stopped working was the motor for the radio antenna. Nothing else has EVER gone wrong with this. I've had the normal routine tune-ups and it just keeps going and going. We could and should buy a bigger more expensive vehicle but I'm torn because I love this so much!"

These Used Toyota 4 Runners are BULLIT PROOF !!!

By on Friday, November 7, 2014

Pros: "It will get you there and back safely !!"

Cons: "Rides like a Truck,a bit under powered !!"

"If you are in the Market for a Terrific 4 Wheel drive Vehicle, You cant do better than a Toyota 4 Runner no matter what the miles on it !! Do a search and try and find one used,from 1995 to 2005 there just are not any around !! There plenty of Jeeps,Ford Explorers,a ton of GMC's and Chevys 4X4's and only a few 4 Runners,that in it;s self should tell you something !"

Besy suv ever build by toyota

By on Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cons: "none,"

"I build my 4runner on/off road, arb front bumper, yakima roofrack,lift kit, and 32" tires and this truck keeps in an amazing good condition, mud, wet roads, snow, sand, you name it nothing stop this car. And the best, vary cheap maintenance, regular gas, easy to work on it, $200 for a full tune-up...!!!! DIY."

2000 4-Runner

By on Friday, August 3, 2007

"I've owned Toyota's since 1984, started overseas with a Celica hatchback. Moved back to the states in '86 and got another used Celica hatchback then quickly moved up to a new pickup. Then within the year I saw my first 4-Runner and just had to get it. It was a new '86, yes that's right I went from a Celica to a pickup to the 4-Runner in just a year (just so it's clear, I wasn't disappointed with the first two). I kept that runner (a 4-banger) for 14 years, it even went to Germany with me for 8 years. It took me to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, East Germany and all over West Germany. I really abused it over there in Europe, like not changing oil, not polishing, and very high speeds. I even had a low speed head on collision with a small pickup (Ford Courier type) in '93...I won, the other pickup was totalled but I drove home, luckily there were no injuries. The only problems I had was a leaky water pump, a stuck closed thermostat, and bad oil pump. Back in Idaho I finally traded up in 2000 to this one. It was the last standard stick shift on the lot. I put 82K on it so far and I'm taking a lot better care of this one than I did my first. Only had two major problems, both rt & lt rear axle bearing boots failed (not at the same time) and had to replace the bearings seals and brake shoes (soaked with oil). One under warranty and the other 20K miles later. I did have the automatic antenna mast replaced but that was because of a couple winters worth of driving through freezing fog. The ice build up tends to wreak havoc on the drive when it tries to pull it back down. Gas mileage is still steady at 19 MPG. Best is 22, worst was 13 when pulling a U-haul trailer 600 miles from Idaho to Vegas. Did very well on the 2,700 mile trip from Boise to Montgomery, the trip back was the same. I plan on keeping this till it dies...Sorry Toyota I'm a loyal customer but I won't be buying another for a long time. Toyota, I don't see how anyone could go wrong with buying one, the value far exceeds the price. I'm actually thinking of adding a Prius, Tundra, or Sienna to my garage...we'll see."

A good running vehicle

By on Thursday, May 5, 2016

Pros: "reliable and safe"

Cons: "check out design defect on 2wd 2 piece drive shaft"

"The 2wd 4runner has a design defect in the drive shaft. It will cause the rear axle wheel bearings and aventually cause the tranmission to go out if the drive shaft is not replaced. Other than this it's a great vehicle."

Excellent vehicle, very reliable!

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "Excellent and reliable vehicle from all points of view"

Cons: "None!"

"I own this car now for 11 years and is driving like new. Excellent engine and pretty good on gas comparable with newer models!Never have any issues other that normal tear and wear (tires, brakes, belts). High value retention, too. Highly recommended."

The best rig ever made

By on Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pros: "Fun, super reliable, good looking"

Cons: "No new ones!!"

"This is by far the best automobile... easy to drive, safe, timeless good looks. I wish Toyota would have just kept making this body style while upgrading everything unseen. If I could drive this little rig the rest of my life, I would. Wish I didn't need a new car. If TOYOTA still made cars as good as this one, I would reccommend it to everyone I know, however, neither the Highlander nor the new 4-Runners seem to hold a candle to it."

The Perfect Vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pros: "great safety record, very high value retention, very well built and doesn't need repairs"

"I bought my 4Runner new in 2000 and am still driving it 11 years later. I've only ever had to make very minor repairs to it. I can't believe how well this car has help up. Only repairs needed in 11 years: - replaced electrical antenna (approx 4 yrs after purchase) - replaced molding under driver seat that came dislodged from pressure of sliding in and out of drivers seat. (6 yrs) - A/C fan no longer blows on lowest setting, but still functions on all other setting (11 yrs) - turn signal occasionally needs to be turned off and turned back on to blink (11 yrs)"

Very dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "very enjoyable to drive still with high miles"

Cons: "Driver seat wears too much . no other complaints"

"This vehicle has been the most reliable vehicle I have own ed. Even with 203000 miles it still runs and drives great. Right now I am getting a major check up by a reliable mechanic to maintain its condition and keep it running for another 100k miles. Body and interior are still in excellent condition except for drivers seat showing wear."

LOVE my 4runner

By on Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, Utility"

"I bought my 96 SR5 from my old man in 2005 when it had 90K miles and it has treated me very, very well. Only problems I've had were EGR valve and a radiator leak. All the rest has been preventive maintenance. Doesn't have a ton of power and doesn't get the best mileage in the world, but it's an older SUV, so I shouldn't complain. Does great on and off road, and pulls my 6x12 enclosed trailer full of stuff just fine. Blue book probably says its only worth 4500, but there's no way I'd sell it for that."

nothing else like it on the roads !

By on Friday, August 3, 2012

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE! Safe"

Cons: "no cd player, transmission is going out, burns oil"

"If y'all want a safe and reliable vehicle? Y'all gotta get this! I just bought myself this for Christmas and it was the best present ever. It has gone through many many mud holes, up mountains, everywhere you can imagine, this 4runner has gone. Best vehicle ever made, not the newer 4runner's, just the 1995-2006."

Dependable!

By on Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pros: "Very Versitle"

Cons: "stiff bumpy ride at times."

"With 347,000 miles this 4Runner has been so good to me. Purchased brand new and I have driven my money's worth! My friends and family still can't beleive I am driving the same vehicle. "Oh, What a Feeling..!" TOYOTA!"

Will drive it til repairs cost more than the SUV

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Have never been stuck and shifting to 4-WD is easy"

Cons: "Sound system is adequate at best"

"It is a little bumpy but considering the chasis, it's fine. Very versatile with the folding seats and tows a trailer with no problems. Good mileage also...for what it is! I've owned the vehicle for 8 years and have probably had 7 people want to purchase it: especially dealers. NO major repairs needed. Just routine maintenance"

Loved this vehicle

By on Saturday, September 17, 2011

"This vechile saved my life. I was currently hit by a 18 wheeler. When I came to all the windows where out and all the devices deployed. I came out with minor injuries. Lord helped out, but without all the saftey bars built into the vechile and saftey device, I really could have been hurt."

Nice Ride

By on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"I have had my 4runner for two years now but has been in the family for about 5, it runs great, im up to 178,000+ now, and of course is running smooth. I get decent mpg, and good speed out of this car. I now drive it everyday about 50 miles daily overall and love the comfort, so do friends when they hop in for a ride. I would definatly say buy this if your considering!"

Saves me money

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"Every once in a while I think I would like a newer vechicle. Then reality sets in: cost,tax on the purchase, insurance increase,and what is out there that is better?? I haved owned this 4runner limited for 9 years,and the maintance cost (outside of what should be done at that mileage plateau) has been low. It now has 137,000 miles on it and is still running like new. I would drive it to florida and not have a worry in my mind. The 4Runner has been a great towing and family vehicle. One of the best features is the power tailgate window (lets the dog get breezes). If I get it detailed and put a new rear bumper on it (I notice this seems to be its weak spot rusting through, see it on many 4Runners of this vintage) I just got my new car!!"

1999 4runner

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"1999 4runner - 133k and counting I love my truck. Not to big not too small, just right. My wife drives it more than I do and I don't think she could handle a bigger SUV. I have listed what I think are the PROS and CONS of the vehicle. I would highly recommend it. PROS: Looks - Still looks like a late model, paint has held up Reliable - Routine maintenance. Only brakes and starter have been replaced. Value - Lots of amenities for the price Creature comforts - Quiet ride, Good stereo, roll down rear window, moonroof, leather, etc. CONS: Gas Mileage - City could be better. Highway mpg is 20-22, not bad Power - 187 hp is too low"

It never gives up, keeps on going!

By on Friday, August 8, 2014

Pros: "Legendary bullet proof reliability!"

Cons: "Gas mileage and the bad cup holder design."

"If you where too choose a vehicle to fight a war in. The 1997 Toyota 4runner would be that vehicle. This is the best truck I've ever owned, it is bullet proof. It just keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and even after 240,000 miles, it still keeps going. This truck was built to last and to take abuse but it will never give up. It never breaks down, it never complains, it just keeps on running. I bought it brand new in early 1997 with just 8 miles on the odometer, and now 17 year later and 240,000 miles later, it still never gives up and always keep running. It is comfortable with plenty of room for the whole family, has tons of cargo space, and its legendary bullet proof reliability."

WORTH WAAAAY MORE THAN $5000!!! Way More!!!

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "EVERYTHING!!!"

Cons: "Wished I bought one sooner."

"The TRUE VALUE of your Toyota 4Runner is based on the TRUE VALUE and what people are WILLING to pay for it. Because it is such an AWESOME, RELIABLE, GREAT Truck, it is worth waaaaay more than this Blue Book says in my opinion. Just ask any 4Runner owner that stops by you. In the WA state area these are selling for $8-10k with ease."

My Favorite Vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, sturdy, and ageless design"

Cons: "Nothing major"

"I've had my 1997 for over 11 years and it only was touched by a mechanic earlier this year for the first time to have the original struts and rear brake pads replaced. Last week, a 17 year old girl in Kansas pulled in front of my wife in my 4Runner and collided with her. I was beside myself in Texas upon getting that phone call. Of course the superficial (no air bag deployment) damage to the entire front, hood, and quarter panel automatically totaled the 4Runner. I spoke with the body repair shop in St. Joseph, Kansas and he said that he has never seen a more immaculate, well cared for '97 ever. I explained to him that I wanted to keep it practically forever. He said he could put it back to original condition, it would just cost me some money above and beyond the conditions of the total settlement. It's worth it to me to have it fixed (with Toyota parts) and keep it. It has a good 150K at least left in it. A great travel vehicle. Being a 4 cylinder, it won't win any races, but it will fly down the highway. It has never burned a drop of oil in between changes. I've only changed the starter, oxygen sensor, and the radiator/water pump preventively at 126K. I look forward to taking possession of it from the body shop and driving it back to Texas, to safe and sound in my garage, ready for the next road trip."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pros: "Versatility of this vehicle. It does it all."

Cons: "Not a whole lot of power"

"This car does it all. I can drive/park in cities with ease, fly down country roads, or go off-roading. I use my 4Runner to do alot of things, so the folding rear seats are a great feature. On average I get about 21 mpg."

Best SUV I've owned.

By on Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pros: "maintenance free"

Cons: "can't think of anything"

"I've owned this 4runner for three years and have had zero problems. I've changed the oil and air filter and had the ac recharged. That's all. It still runs like new at 150k miles"

Love my 4runner

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

The back of the 4runner is my dog's favorite place to be.

"I bought my 4runner used about 10 years ago. It now has 300,000+ miles. I changed the plugs and wires about 10,000 miles ago, and the plugs looked brand new. They were original factory install. It's a 2wd; I'd love for it to be 4wd, but it's very capable offroad. The 2wd models have many of the parts which are made for the 4wd. (skidplates, beefier suspension parts, etc.) Some parts, after 300,000 miles just wear out and need to be replaced. Bushings, steering components, brakes, etc. The engine and tranny are still solid though. I plan on trading it in soon for a newer 4runner with less miles and 4wd."

The back of the 4runner is my dog's favorite place to be.

Love these Toyota SUVs!

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Extremely dependable! In 10yrs this suv has had only minor work done : water pump,shocks and brakes. Looking for the next one!"