1998 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 834 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

Best SUV I've owned.

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "maintenance free"

Cons: "can't think of anything"

"I've owned this 4runner for three years and have had zero problems. I've changed the oil and air filter and had the ac recharged. That's all. It still runs like new at 150k miles"

Love my 4runner

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

The back of the 4runner is my dog's favorite place to be.

"I bought my 4runner used about 10 years ago. It now has 300,000+ miles. I changed the plugs and wires about 10,000 miles ago, and the plugs looked brand new. They were original factory install. It's a 2wd; I'd love for it to be 4wd, but it's very capable offroad. The 2wd models have many of the parts which are made for the 4wd. (skidplates, beefier suspension parts, etc.) Some parts, after 300,000 miles just wear out and need to be replaced. Bushings, steering components, brakes, etc. The engine and tranny are still solid though. I plan on trading it in soon for a newer 4runner with less miles and 4wd."

The back of the 4runner is my dog's favorite place to be.

Love these Toyota SUVs!

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Extremely dependable! In 10yrs this suv has had only minor work done : water pump,shocks and brakes. Looking for the next one!"

Great car/truck/suv

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "Great looks, fun to drive around town, dependable."

Cons: "Radio antenna, interstate driving."

"Great overall automobile. Has never let me down. Motorized radio antenna gave out at about 50,000 miles, a bad 02 censor at about 80,000, and leaking water pump at 95,000, but other than that it has been great. Not the greatest for interstate driving as it is high and narrow, but not too bad. Plan on keeping it in the family for many years to come. Highly recommended."

Gooing for half a million miles.

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "durablilty,dependable, reliable"

Cons: "minor cosmetic over time"

"Best vehhicle ever owned. Been thru all extremes Wyoming winter,Minnesota blizzards, Missouri heat and humidity, etc..... Jaws drop when they see my mileage, because it still lloks good. Drawback....the drivers seat can need a facelift (leather is rippied and cracked....still great)"

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

"Reliable, Dependable, 274000 miles and still going strong"

I've enjoyed driving this SUV for 11 years.

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, can see above traffic"

Cons: "cup holders in bad location - blocks A/C-Heat vent"

"I would continue to drive this vehicle if it wasn't for the increased rust underneath on the body frame. The exterior body still looks great! Use a lot of gas. Great in the snow when in 4Wheel drive, but the back end tend to slide when in 2Wheel drive on a snowy road. Very reliable with no major mechanical problems."

4 runner is best deal on the market

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

"The 4 Runner in my opinion is the Best 4 wheel drive SUV on the Market, great ride, great gas mileage, comfortable, reliable, great traction in the snow and low Maint. Plenty of room and very good pulling power."

Loved this vehicle

By on Saturday, September 17, 2011

"This vechile saved my life. I was currently hit by a 18 wheeler. When I came to all the windows where out and all the devices deployed. I came out with minor injuries. Lord helped out, but without all the saftey bars built into the vechile and saftey device, I really could have been hurt."

2001 4runner love it

By on Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pros: "large enough for four adlults"

"Bought this car new. It's a solid vechile. I feel with the proper oil changss and tune ups this car will ramble on. Only problems antena, and replaced gas o2 sensor. Haven't replaced breaks. Interior in great shape. This is a very good car."

I was so lucky to buy this car

By on Sunday, October 03, 2010

"Back in 1999 I had to dip into my 401k to buy this limited 1999, with pricing through the internet, even way back then, I got it for about $35K. That was a lot of cash back then for a car. It now has over 130K on it and has become a lifetime pal that I cannot bear to part with. My best investment ever. There has never been anything significantly wrong with it except for the common O2 sensor replacement, AC leak, and some electrical issues. The electrical included loose connection to the clock, and burning out of all the 12V outlets by plugging in AC adapters that took much current. Initially, there was problems with front wheel vibration, however it turns out the car is sensitive to the quality ofthe tires. Once the factory goodyear tires were replaced with Michelin M/S which are awesome, and balanced ok, no problem. I finally had to replace spark plugs, re-greese a rear bearing, (used it to launch boats), and replace the power antenna, which amazingly worked for almost 10 years. This car can go places that will continue to amaze you and will never get stuck. I have been looking at replacement 4-runners and other vehicles for 5 years or so but the newer offerings have just been more and more disapointing. They keep making them bigger, less fuel efficient, more bubbly looking and less like something you would take off road. It is 40K now for a new 4-runner, and they even removed the handle to help you get in, and to add insult to injury no running boards. I don't want a new 4-runner, I want to keep my 1999 running forever. So the plan for me is to keep driving it for another 100K."

A workhose

By on Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"My 4-Runner has never let me down. It is a little underpowered, but if your looking at 4-Runners, speed should not be your priority. If going wherever the heck you please is, then you're on the right track. The 2.7L engine has had no repairs since I purchased it with 45,000 miles on it (190,000+ currently). The rest of the drive-train has been nothing but solid. The seals have had occasional small leaks, but I've never owned a vehicle that has not. The body and interior details have not has any problems that my own rough handling has not incurred. Snow-pack and ice performance is it's greatest design weakness, as the front end is heavier than the rear, and it tends to spin instead of slide in zero traction situations. My wife's Ford Explorer Sport-Trac by comparison drives on ice the same as it drives on dry concrete. We have more than made up for this in repair bills to the Ford, however. In all other 4WD applications, the 4-Runner performs as well or better than any other 4x4 that I have owned (2004 For Explorer Sport-Trac, 1985 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban, 1984 Ford Ranger, 1976 Jeep CJ-5). I will part with mine only when it is no longer feasible to keep it running."

Truely A World Class Machine

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned. In 183,000 miles replaced the starter and power antenna mast. Don't spend much on the routine stuff has never been to the dealer for repair. Did change the timing belt at 115K and it's a bear. Developed a rear axle seal leak after changing the oil at 150K. Won't do that again even though it's recommended most cars it's not a maintenance item. Looking for another one right as this one goes to a family member. Too good to sell off. Easier to work on than a Honda."

5 years 70k later

By on Friday, December 07, 2007

"We bough ours in 02 with 100k on it, no extended warranty. Consistently got 20mpg to and from work average 55mph. Sometimes saw 23mpg on interstate road trips with a little Lucas fuel additive. 19mpg was the lowest we saw during the winter months. Traded in my 01 Wrangler Sahara for it because the Sahara was noisy and a very bumpy ride. The 4runner has a smooth comfortable ride. We took it to Florida twice. At about 120k had to replace the automatic transmission. For the next 50k usual wear, tires, brake pads, rotors, exhaust system. Goes Good in snow, 4wd works great. Rear hatches usually rust out, we had to have ours fixed. Overall, the reset of the body and frame were rust free. The vehicle has been in NW PA for all its life. We totalled ours at 170k and are considering another one. The only down side is its price. But we did get about 7500 from our insurance."

Excellent vehicle. Quality is tops.

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

Pros: "Quality."

Cons: "Trucky handling and ride, but it is a work horse"

"I have owned this 4Runner 14 years and have had excellent service. It still uses no oil between changes and everything works. I did replace the starter on it once but other than the maintenance schedule, have done nothing to it other than the normal wear items of brakes and tires."

Toyota 4Runners and 4 wheel drive trucks AAA+.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "4+4's pricey but best,Cars best in all catagories."

Cons: "I perfer the 1979 price than the 2014 price."

"I've owned 3 Toyota 4Runners all 4+4's but one, four Toyota 4+4 trucks, 3 Toyota cars, Celica, Avalon and Camry most exceeding 100,000 to 200,000 thousand miles. Not one has ever failed, not even a flaw. My wife loves her Toyota for handling, sporty, most of all reliability. I perform routine servicing, oil & filter change, air filter, antifreeze, lube, cleaning interior and exterior. I do purchase extreme off-road tires for hunting, keep original tires for driving. I purchased a 1979 Toyota 4+4 truck and have owned one ever since. They are extremely durable and reliable. As an avid outdoorsman, hunting, fishing locally and abroad, Toyota is all I will buy. I've owned 5 other manufacturers 4+4's, a couple high end models, all left me stranded. You maintain your Toyota they will maintain you."

toyota at its finest

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "sunroof, power sliding rear window, value, confort"

Cons: "no third row"

"the 1997 Toyota 4runner is a reliable SUV that has never let me down. its sunroof and power sliding rear window make trip to the keys worth wild. our 4runner has been with us since the day it went on the market. it was worth the purchase and I look forward to putting another 200000 miles on it."

Best Vehicle I've ever had..

By on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Pros: "Little maintenance, reliable"

Cons: "stiff ride"

"I bought the 1999 4Runner Limited from my fathers neighbor,with 225000 miles. It was to be a second vehicle for my wife when she needed more room. We drove to El Paso, 850 miles, next year to Myrtle Beach, 1100 miles, and then to Illinois, 900 miles. It got passed to daughter #1 for several years, then to daughter #2. I have replaced the driveshaft, valve cover gaskets, and several fluid changes, and tire sets. It burns NO oil !! Just keeps going, and going... I really hate to see it go, but it is now showing age, several dings from parking lots, a Deer which decided to cross in front of it. As the youngest is now a Senior, I think it is time for a newer 4Runner."

Terrific vehicle.

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Robust, go anywhere SUV."

Cons: "timing belt and water pump R&R needed every 90K."

"Bought the '97 4Runner SR5 off lease in 2000. In 2004 added a TRD supercharger, OEM (Old Man Emu)suspension and an additional Transmission cooler in order to pull a 21' trailer. I also had a shift kit put in the transmission and heavier aftermarket clutches. I have run Amsoil synthetic in every thing from gear cases to Engine. The only reason I am even considering selling it is a failed lower radiator hose clamp that dumped all my coolant when the hose popped off as we started for vacation this year, and the repair costs will be more than it is worth. It has never overheated, it still has the same AC, power steering pump and alternator and fuel pump. I have only replaced brakes and batteries along with an occasional ball joint. I have also needed to replace the timing belt and water pump on a regular (90K)basis. I get 16 mpg around town and 23 on the highway at 65mph. It is my second 4Runner and I would recommend it to anyone. The ride is a little stiff and it corners with a little body roll, after all it is built on the Tacoma truck chassis. It has and extremely short turning radius, and the electric locking rear differential has pulled me out of trouble numerous times. I expected to get 300,000 miles out of it without any major problems, even the supercharger has operated flawlessly and has not seemed to have strained the engine at all. It used no oil between changes, leaves no spots when parked and starts with the first turn of the key. My fishing and hunting friends always leave their chevys and fords at home and want me to drive. I've probably sold more 4Runners, Tacomas and FJ's than a lot of car salesmen. Even my wife, if having to chose one vehicle would take the 4Runner over our car, even though the care is 15 years newer."

Awesome SUV, Buy one Used!

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Power, Comfortable, Ground Clearance"

Cons: "Firm Ride/Suspension"

"I purchased a Black 2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition with 164000 miles on it for $8400 about 4 months ago. I have driven it a little over 5000 miles so far and am very happy overall with the car. This SUV handles very well considering it's high ground clearance. It has very good power. Seats and Interior is comfortable. It gets good gas mileage at 17/19 and has been absolutely reliable. I would definitely purchase this car again. The verdict is to get yourself one cause they are so worth it."

Owned this 1997 since 1999, never any problems

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"This 4 Runner now has 225,000 miles with never a major issue. Only recently has the rear wheel seal has begun to leak and the key lock cylinder is slipping. Transmission, engine, AC, etc. have all been good. Body looks good, all is well on this SUV. I have babied it though with oil changes every 4m-5m, tuneups, etc... Great vehicle"

mini toyota landcruiser

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

"I have owned my 96 4runner SR5 v6 for 13 trouble free years. It will hit 300k miles next week. Will probably replace it with another 4runner when this one quits."

Best EVER !!! over 340,000 miles

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

"I own this car since 1997, my 2nd 4x4, and everybody don't beleived me when I tell them the mileage !!!"

Best vehicle I ever had

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "Built to last, and loads of room for my gear"

Cons: "mileage could be better, but I don't know how...."

"My 4-Runner is 11 years old, 162,000 miles and runs like a top. Still gets good mileage on the highway around 26 MPG, and 18 MPG around town. Only mechanical issue I ever had was rear axle seals leaked in 2007 and I had to have that fixed. Otherwise, no problems at all. I intend to go for 250,000 miles with any luck."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

"I love the older body style it is truly a nice car and always dependable, if you take care of the car it will run forever."