1998 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 793 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

Love my 4-Runner

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"My family was a GM family for years, until my father did dealer trades for a local Toyota dealership back in the early 1990s. He fell in love with Toyotas overall and convinced me to trade in my 1989 Cutlass for a 1998 4-Runner. Hands down, this is the best car I've ever owned. I absolutely love it -- it has pulled a loaded U-Haul trailer from NY to Texas without any problem, survived an unavoidable highway collision just this year (thanks to the great trade-in value for Toyotas -- insurance fixed it without question, keeping me from crying over losing this great car), safely driven me through many flooded Houston streets, and has never given me any mechanical problems other than (yes, me too) a broken power antenna and some pesky rear lights that took a while to fix. My two 80-pound dogs love it as well, since they have all the room in the world with the back seats folded down. The only very small complaint I would offer is the cup holders -- they work fine, but aren't positioned in the best place in the top front of the dash -- they get in the way of adjusting the AC and checking the clock. Minor, minor issue. I've owned five cars so far in my life, but I've never been able to keep one past 90,000 miles before due to mounting problems and costs. All I do is keep current with the recommended maintenance packages from my dealership -- for every 5,000 miles on the car. My friends who've never owned a Toyota think I'm nuts, but I plan to drive my 4-Runner for a long time! I just recently convinced my best friend to buy a Toyota Camry since she's heard me rave about my 4-Runner for so long..."

best auto investment made

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"175,000mi and only replaced tires, brakes and timing belt. I can't say enough about Toyota quality, well worth the extra purchase price if you plan on keeping it any length of time and trade in value remains higher than any other line out there"

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"I've owned 2 Jeep Grand Cherokee's prior to buying my 2002 Sport 4runner and the Toyota is a superior car. I've tracked my expenses for the car and through 5 years have spent a total of $13K on gas, general maintenance, new brakes and 2 new sets of tires. Gas mileage has averaged 17.1 MPG over 97K miles and the truck runs as well today as it did the day I bought it."

Nicest Truck ever!!!

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"I have had my 98 4Runner after having tons of luck with a 95 Tacoma. Wheel seal is the only "issue" as of yet. Oh yeah, I am pushing 150,000 now and plan on getting to around 400,000 before I retire it. Then it will turn into a strictly "off road" vehicle. I am never selling it. Oh yeah, I still have the Tacoma too. Viva la Toyota!!!"

1997 4RNR SR5

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Bought in 2000 off brother-in-law's 3-yr lease. Had 40K mi on it then, I am at 110K and going strong. V-6 doesn't use oil (knock on wood) and stays real clean. Have driven it in OH, OK, and IL. No problems towing a U-Haul trailer from OK City to St. Louis, MO. Longest XCountry trip from St Louis to Norfolk, VA. with no problems handling the App. Mtns. Normal maintenance keeps it running fine. Did have power antenna break...two years ago...now it's no longer a power antenna and the radio waves are fine...okay maybe I'll replace it when the tunes stop coming in! Only complaint: Ride in rear passenger seats is rough, but the '97 is built on a truck frame so it should not be a surprise. Even so, I plan to drive it for at least 5 more years...or 200K...whichever comes first...where's that wood again?"