1998 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 829 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

Great Daily Driver, Great Off-road, Very Reliable

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "Great off-road, very reliable."

"This is a very reliable vehicle. No matter how many miles are on it. As long as it's been taken care of, it will run forever. It's great off-road. It's great in the snow, it's great on any terrain. Even stock, it will get you through any terrain. Mine has 305k miles and runs like new. The 3.4 liter V6 is one of the best engines Toyota has ever made. The only thing I don't like about this vehicle, is the front suspension. Toyota should have put a solid axel in these, instead of IFS."

Absolute best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "Best reliability ever."

Cons: "Still rides like a truck, but not bad."

"Bought the vehicle in 1999 with 52K miles on it. Have had the vehicle now 15 years and have added approximately 400K more. My maintenance consists primarily of oil changes for high mileage vehicles, fluid top offs and the occasional radiator flush and AC service. It has never let me down. At roughly 450K miles, I'm about to have my first major repair, having several engine oil leaks repaired at a cost of $1300. The vehicle still runs well inspite of the small leaks. Not bad for a 17 year old vehicle, and physically, it still looks almost new. I have told friends and family many times, I will never not own at least one Toyota."

I LOVE my 4runner!!!

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "great performance, durrable, longevity, attractive"

Cons: "there aren't many options for lifting, mpg's"

"I have a 98 toyota 4runner limited. It has 340,000 miles on it and it is in great running order. I have no rust, leaks, knocks, or pops. It has been through everything i can throw at it and it drives like a new one. I am Amazed at the durability of this truck. I would absolutely recomend this vehice to anyone."

Black Beauty

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Cons: "My sons keep borrowing it."

"I LOVE this car! My sons, all three of them, wanted to buy it from me when they grew up and left home. I said, no way, Jose. I'm keeping this car till the day I die, then I will WILL it to you. Its is so reliable. Mine has 250,000 miles on it, so I will never get what its worth on a sale. It's been paid off forever, so even if I get a new car, I'll keep Black Beauty in the pasture."

Forever car

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pros: "long life, V6 best engine made"

Cons: "short wheel base; rougher riding in rear seats"

"Toyota 4Runner best, most reliable car I ever had. I've owned it for 14+ years and still going strong. Never had any engine trouble or any other mechanical problems. Just change oil and do maintenance as suggested and it pays you with long life. I'll never sell this car -- hundreds of thousands of miles to go!"

Absolutely best ever

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "reliable -always starts - classic look - good ride"

Cons: "gas mileage - can be tippy"

"When my granddaughter told me I needed a new car, I said to her, "Darling, cars are like men. When you find a good one,that gives you little trouble, doesn't cost much, keep it - even when it goes out of style." That's this car - the best, most reliable, steady-Eddy I ever owned. 8000miles/yr - very low maintenance - It's a long-term winner."

Best vehicle ever over 400,000 and won't die

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "very very dependable"

Cons: "brakes wear out sooner than expected."

"I have had this vehicle for 13 years and haven't had to replace any major parts yet!!! Love this vehicle wish I didn't have to give it up but I really got my monies worth out of this car. I have driven it up and down the east coast with no issues at all. The motor and transmission won't quit and still are pretty smooth for a suv of this age."

The best SUV I have ever own!

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive!"

Cons: "Does not come with a case of beer! LOL"

"I went from Pathfinder,Jeep Cherokee,Escape,Jeep Grand Cherokee to my 4runner so I have been a driver of a few SUV s. I test drove this 4runner for about 3 hours and it was very difficult to go back and fight for a good price! I was in loved with this SUV! The car had 100,000 miles, I got it took to a Toyota mechanic in my area did the timing belt, cam seals,spark plugs,thermostat and gasket,valve cover gasket,PVC valve,water pump and gasket,new coolant,rear and front differential oil change a service. This was done as maintenance not due to need. 111,000 on the clock and this baby perks great! this car is the best one I have ever owned and by the way I am 62 years old, been around,Recommendation, The Great One to Own!"

LOVE LOVE my 4Runner

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "Solid smooth feel. Super reliable. Looks cool!"

Cons: "Small for a family of 4. No bigger than a Prius."

"I bought this used when it was one year old. I've now had it 10 years and the only thing that stopped working was the motor for the radio antenna. Nothing else has EVER gone wrong with this. I've had the normal routine tune-ups and it just keeps going and going. We could and should buy a bigger more expensive vehicle but I'm torn because I love this so much!"

These Used Toyota 4 Runners are BULLIT PROOF !!!

By on Friday, November 07, 2014

Pros: "It will get you there and back safely !!"

Cons: "Rides like a Truck,a bit under powered !!"

"If you are in the Market for a Terrific 4 Wheel drive Vehicle, You cant do better than a Toyota 4 Runner no matter what the miles on it !! Do a search and try and find one used,from 1995 to 2005 there just are not any around !! There plenty of Jeeps,Ford Explorers,a ton of GMC's and Chevys 4X4's and only a few 4 Runners,that in it;s self should tell you something !"

pretty amazing vehicle!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "great all around vehicle"

Cons: "engine compartment is a little cramped"

"the toyota 4runner, in my experience, is one of the best all-around production vehicles made. especially in when looking at the 3rd gen models. with the creation of the highlander toyota developers were allowed to develop the 3rd gen 4runners, and later models, to be specifically enhanced offroad. while also still maintaining great on road performance and handling. on road they ride smooth, turn accurately, with little to no oversteer, and accelerate aggressively. off road they keep an astonishing weight to power ratio and are able to pull you out of whatever you may find yourself in. even on street tires with open differentials you still wont be stopped. and like all other toyotas they are build to last. im pushing 250,000 miles now with no signs of wearing down."

Excellent vehicle, very reliable!

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "Excellent and reliable vehicle from all points of view"

Cons: "None!"

"I own this car now for 11 years and is driving like new. Excellent engine and pretty good on gas comparable with newer models!Never have any issues other that normal tear and wear (tires, brakes, belts). High value retention, too. Highly recommended."

Best vehicle I have ever had. I love it!

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Like the seats and warmers; like sitting high."

Cons: "Some of the plastic parts break - cup holders,etc."

"The reliablity has been wonderful. I have had no maintenance on the car other than the 3000 mile oil change, which I have kept on time. Even the tires lasted. I have bought new tires only once in twelve years. I fully recommend this car. I will actually be sorrowful when I have to get a new car, but it will be a Toyota."

Besy suv ever build by toyota

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Cons: "none,"

"I build my 4runner on/off road, arb front bumper, yakima roofrack,lift kit, and 32" tires and this truck keeps in an amazing good condition, mud, wet roads, snow, sand, you name it nothing stop this car. And the best, vary cheap maintenance, regular gas, easy to work on it, $200 for a full tune-up...!!!! DIY."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Great family recreational vehicle"

Cons: "unkown at this time"

"I purchased a used 1999 4runner SRS with 167k. I heard that Toyota 4runners were reliable and a good family vehicle. I have had no complaints. It rides better than my previous car which was a 2004. My 9 year old loves the rear floor A/C unit in the summer and heater in the winter. All windows including my sunroof can be rolled down during those few nice days in Phoenix. I had to replace normal wear and tear items such as belts and hoses, but with regular oil changes I havent had any major issues. I have taken our 4Runner to Jerome, Sedona, Tuscon, never once having manuevering problems or offroading problems.I installed an aftermarket safari rack on it and looks very appealing. Within the first year of purchase I have had at least three random people ask if we were thinking about selling. I have approximately 197k original miles and still running like its new. The interior is strong, but not as easy to clean as the new tighter woven fabric. I am able to fit 2 adults 3 kids 9-16 in the back and three full sized Labs in the rear,no problem. The rear seat folds completely down where i have carried lumber and hiking gear including 2 mountain bikes.The rear had many tie down spots to allow bungie cords to be strapped down to prevent shifting of contents. For a 99 I was pleasantly surprised that all windows were power and that they were so smooth and quick. The driver has the ablility to do a one-touch press so both drivers and passengers window goes down at once. This feature is great, I dont like taking my hand off the wheel offroading and holding a button down to roll down the passenger window. Overall this is a great vehicle, has met all my families needs and I would recommend this vehicle to friends and families."

2000 4-Runner

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I've owned Toyota's since 1984, started overseas with a Celica hatchback. Moved back to the states in '86 and got another used Celica hatchback then quickly moved up to a new pickup. Then within the year I saw my first 4-Runner and just had to get it. It was a new '86, yes that's right I went from a Celica to a pickup to the 4-Runner in just a year (just so it's clear, I wasn't disappointed with the first two). I kept that runner (a 4-banger) for 14 years, it even went to Germany with me for 8 years. It took me to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, East Germany and all over West Germany. I really abused it over there in Europe, like not changing oil, not polishing, and very high speeds. I even had a low speed head on collision with a small pickup (Ford Courier type) in '93...I won, the other pickup was totalled but I drove home, luckily there were no injuries. The only problems I had was a leaky water pump, a stuck closed thermostat, and bad oil pump. Back in Idaho I finally traded up in 2000 to this one. It was the last standard stick shift on the lot. I put 82K on it so far and I'm taking a lot better care of this one than I did my first. Only had two major problems, both rt & lt rear axle bearing boots failed (not at the same time) and had to replace the bearings seals and brake shoes (soaked with oil). One under warranty and the other 20K miles later. I did have the automatic antenna mast replaced but that was because of a couple winters worth of driving through freezing fog. The ice build up tends to wreak havoc on the drive when it tries to pull it back down. Gas mileage is still steady at 19 MPG. Best is 22, worst was 13 when pulling a U-haul trailer 600 miles from Idaho to Vegas. Did very well on the 2,700 mile trip from Boise to Montgomery, the trip back was the same. I plan on keeping this till it dies...Sorry Toyota I'm a loyal customer but I won't be buying another for a long time. Toyota, I don't see how anyone could go wrong with buying one, the value far exceeds the price. I'm actually thinking of adding a Prius, Tundra, or Sienna to my garage...we'll see."

Very dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "very enjoyable to drive still with high miles"

Cons: "Driver seat wears too much . no other complaints"

"This vehicle has been the most reliable vehicle I have own ed. Even with 203000 miles it still runs and drives great. Right now I am getting a major check up by a reliable mechanic to maintain its condition and keep it running for another 100k miles. Body and interior are still in excellent condition except for drivers seat showing wear."

1996 4Runner Limited Super Duper nice truck

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "Drive train, Cargo capacity, drive-ability, looks"

Cons: "Breaking could be better with tundra brake upgrade"

"I have had many Toyotas in the past and I know the 3.4L engines in these trucks are down right awesome engines. I can take or leave lush leather interior, cup holders, power sunroof, etc... But the drive train is straight up legendary. The amount of room in my 96 4Runner is ample enough to haul my family including the dogs as well as camping gear and enough supplies for our weekend getaway's. The newer 4Runners are very nice and plush with hefty price tags but the older generations meet my needs much better in price and constant dependability. I really like the body style of the 96 4 Runner. The body lines flow down the sides and just make it look tougher than the newer ones. If you have a chance to purchase one you will not go wrong what so ever providing it has been taken care of in the past."

LOVE my 4runner

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, Utility"

"I bought my 96 SR5 from my old man in 2005 when it had 90K miles and it has treated me very, very well. Only problems I've had were EGR valve and a radiator leak. All the rest has been preventive maintenance. Doesn't have a ton of power and doesn't get the best mileage in the world, but it's an older SUV, so I shouldn't complain. Does great on and off road, and pulls my 6x12 enclosed trailer full of stuff just fine. Blue book probably says its only worth 4500, but there's no way I'd sell it for that."

The best rig ever made

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pros: "Fun, super reliable, good looking"

Cons: "No new ones!!"

"This is by far the best automobile... easy to drive, safe, timeless good looks. I wish Toyota would have just kept making this body style while upgrading everything unseen. If I could drive this little rig the rest of my life, I would. Wish I didn't need a new car. If TOYOTA still made cars as good as this one, I would reccommend it to everyone I know, however, neither the Highlander nor the new 4-Runners seem to hold a candle to it."

nothing else like it on the roads !

By on Friday, August 03, 2012

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE! Safe"

Cons: "no cd player, transmission is going out, burns oil"

"If y'all want a safe and reliable vehicle? Y'all gotta get this! I just bought myself this for Christmas and it was the best present ever. It has gone through many many mud holes, up mountains, everywhere you can imagine, this 4runner has gone. Best vehicle ever made, not the newer 4runner's, just the 1995-2006."

Dependable!

By on Sunday, May 06, 2012

Pros: "Very Versitle"

Cons: "stiff bumpy ride at times."

"With 347,000 miles this 4Runner has been so good to me. Purchased brand new and I have driven my money's worth! My friends and family still can't beleive I am driving the same vehicle. "Oh, What a Feeling..!" TOYOTA!"

Will drive it til repairs cost more than the SUV

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Have never been stuck and shifting to 4-WD is easy"

Cons: "Sound system is adequate at best"

"It is a little bumpy but considering the chasis, it's fine. Very versatile with the folding seats and tows a trailer with no problems. Good mileage also...for what it is! I've owned the vehicle for 8 years and have probably had 7 people want to purchase it: especially dealers. NO major repairs needed. Just routine maintenance"

The Perfect Vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pros: "great safety record, very high value retention, very well built and doesn't need repairs"

"I bought my 4Runner new in 2000 and am still driving it 11 years later. I've only ever had to make very minor repairs to it. I can't believe how well this car has help up. Only repairs needed in 11 years: - replaced electrical antenna (approx 4 yrs after purchase) - replaced molding under driver seat that came dislodged from pressure of sliding in and out of drivers seat. (6 yrs) - A/C fan no longer blows on lowest setting, but still functions on all other setting (11 yrs) - turn signal occasionally needs to be turned off and turned back on to blink (11 yrs)"

Nice Ride

By on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"I have had my 4runner for two years now but has been in the family for about 5, it runs great, im up to 178,000+ now, and of course is running smooth. I get decent mpg, and good speed out of this car. I now drive it everyday about 50 miles daily overall and love the comfort, so do friends when they hop in for a ride. I would definatly say buy this if your considering!"