1997 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 858 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

Excellent vehicle, very reliable!

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "Excellent and reliable vehicle from all points of view"

Cons: "None!"

"I own this car now for 11 years and is driving like new. Excellent engine and pretty good on gas comparable with newer models!Never have any issues other that normal tear and wear (tires, brakes, belts). High value retention, too. Highly recommended."

The 4runner has been a very dependable, solid car.

By on Thursday, June 30, 2016

Pros: "Dependability, Off-road Capabilities, Towing"

Cons: "Vehicle control in wind, unsightly interior panel"

"This car will get you from point A to B with no issue for many years and miles. I am at 250,000 miles and there is plenty of life left on the motor and transmission. The vehicle is still a beast off-road whether it is 2WD or not. I have yet to get stuck in this vehicle and I have taken it through some rough terrain. Also the safety ratings of this vehicle are great, just look up some IIHS videos on Youtube. The only thing you need to watch for with this is some of the electronic devices can be spotty. Nearly every 4runner of this style I have seen, the clock on the dash went out. Another common electronic issue is the radio backlight flickering as well as the temperature controls being "difficult" to change. The vehicles interior design does leave something to be desired(Oak paneling). When driving with a cross wind on the highway, this vehicle will get blown around. Also the motor is slightly under-powered but super reliable. Overall this is a great vehicle that you can depend on."

The best rig ever made

By on Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pros: "Fun, super reliable, good looking"

Cons: "No new ones!!"

"This is by far the best automobile... easy to drive, safe, timeless good looks. I wish Toyota would have just kept making this body style while upgrading everything unseen. If I could drive this little rig the rest of my life, I would. Wish I didn't need a new car. If TOYOTA still made cars as good as this one, I would reccommend it to everyone I know, however, neither the Highlander nor the new 4-Runners seem to hold a candle to it."

The Perfect Vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pros: "great safety record, very high value retention, very well built and doesn't need repairs"

"I bought my 4Runner new in 2000 and am still driving it 11 years later. I've only ever had to make very minor repairs to it. I can't believe how well this car has help up. Only repairs needed in 11 years: - replaced electrical antenna (approx 4 yrs after purchase) - replaced molding under driver seat that came dislodged from pressure of sliding in and out of drivers seat. (6 yrs) - A/C fan no longer blows on lowest setting, but still functions on all other setting (11 yrs) - turn signal occasionally needs to be turned off and turned back on to blink (11 yrs)"

Very dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "very enjoyable to drive still with high miles"

Cons: "Driver seat wears too much . no other complaints"

"This vehicle has been the most reliable vehicle I have own ed. Even with 203000 miles it still runs and drives great. Right now I am getting a major check up by a reliable mechanic to maintain its condition and keep it running for another 100k miles. Body and interior are still in excellent condition except for drivers seat showing wear."