1997 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 832 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

nothing else like it on the roads !

By on Friday, August 03, 2012

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE! Safe"

Cons: "no cd player, transmission is going out, burns oil"

"If y'all want a safe and reliable vehicle? Y'all gotta get this! I just bought myself this for Christmas and it was the best present ever. It has gone through many many mud holes, up mountains, everywhere you can imagine, this 4runner has gone. Best vehicle ever made, not the newer 4runner's, just the 1995-2006."

Dependable!

By on Sunday, May 06, 2012

Pros: "Very Versitle"

Cons: "stiff bumpy ride at times."

"With 347,000 miles this 4Runner has been so good to me. Purchased brand new and I have driven my money's worth! My friends and family still can't beleive I am driving the same vehicle. "Oh, What a Feeling..!" TOYOTA!"

Will drive it til repairs cost more than the SUV

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Have never been stuck and shifting to 4-WD is easy"

Cons: "Sound system is adequate at best"

"It is a little bumpy but considering the chasis, it's fine. Very versatile with the folding seats and tows a trailer with no problems. Good mileage also...for what it is! I've owned the vehicle for 8 years and have probably had 7 people want to purchase it: especially dealers. NO major repairs needed. Just routine maintenance"

The Perfect Vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pros: "great safety record, very high value retention, very well built and doesn't need repairs"

"I bought my 4Runner new in 2000 and am still driving it 11 years later. I've only ever had to make very minor repairs to it. I can't believe how well this car has help up. Only repairs needed in 11 years: - replaced electrical antenna (approx 4 yrs after purchase) - replaced molding under driver seat that came dislodged from pressure of sliding in and out of drivers seat. (6 yrs) - A/C fan no longer blows on lowest setting, but still functions on all other setting (11 yrs) - turn signal occasionally needs to be turned off and turned back on to blink (11 yrs)"

Nice Ride

By on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"I have had my 4runner for two years now but has been in the family for about 5, it runs great, im up to 178,000+ now, and of course is running smooth. I get decent mpg, and good speed out of this car. I now drive it everyday about 50 miles daily overall and love the comfort, so do friends when they hop in for a ride. I would definatly say buy this if your considering!"

Saves me money

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

"Every once in a while I think I would like a newer vechicle. Then reality sets in: cost,tax on the purchase, insurance increase,and what is out there that is better?? I haved owned this 4runner limited for 9 years,and the maintance cost (outside of what should be done at that mileage plateau) has been low. It now has 137,000 miles on it and is still running like new. I would drive it to florida and not have a worry in my mind. The 4Runner has been a great towing and family vehicle. One of the best features is the power tailgate window (lets the dog get breezes). If I get it detailed and put a new rear bumper on it (I notice this seems to be its weak spot rusting through, see it on many 4Runners of this vintage) I just got my new car!!"

1999 4runner

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"1999 4runner - 133k and counting I love my truck. Not to big not too small, just right. My wife drives it more than I do and I don't think she could handle a bigger SUV. I have listed what I think are the PROS and CONS of the vehicle. I would highly recommend it. PROS: Looks - Still looks like a late model, paint has held up Reliable - Routine maintenance. Only brakes and starter have been replaced. Value - Lots of amenities for the price Creature comforts - Quiet ride, Good stereo, roll down rear window, moonroof, leather, etc. CONS: Gas Mileage - City could be better. Highway mpg is 20-22, not bad Power - 187 hp is too low"

It never gives up, keeps on going!

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Legendary bullet proof reliability!"

Cons: "Gas mileage and the bad cup holder design."

"If you where too choose a vehicle to fight a war in. The 1997 Toyota 4runner would be that vehicle. This is the best truck I've ever owned, it is bullet proof. It just keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and even after 240,000 miles, it still keeps going. This truck was built to last and to take abuse but it will never give up. It never breaks down, it never complains, it just keeps on running. I bought it brand new in early 1997 with just 8 miles on the odometer, and now 17 year later and 240,000 miles later, it still never gives up and always keep running. It is comfortable with plenty of room for the whole family, has tons of cargo space, and its legendary bullet proof reliability."

WORTH WAAAAY MORE THAN $5000!!! Way More!!!

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "EVERYTHING!!!"

Cons: "Wished I bought one sooner."

"The TRUE VALUE of your Toyota 4Runner is based on the TRUE VALUE and what people are WILLING to pay for it. Because it is such an AWESOME, RELIABLE, GREAT Truck, it is worth waaaaay more than this Blue Book says in my opinion. Just ask any 4Runner owner that stops by you. In the WA state area these are selling for $8-10k with ease."

My Favorite Vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, sturdy, and ageless design"

Cons: "Nothing major"

"I've had my 1997 for over 11 years and it only was touched by a mechanic earlier this year for the first time to have the original struts and rear brake pads replaced. Last week, a 17 year old girl in Kansas pulled in front of my wife in my 4Runner and collided with her. I was beside myself in Texas upon getting that phone call. Of course the superficial (no air bag deployment) damage to the entire front, hood, and quarter panel automatically totaled the 4Runner. I spoke with the body repair shop in St. Joseph, Kansas and he said that he has never seen a more immaculate, well cared for '97 ever. I explained to him that I wanted to keep it practically forever. He said he could put it back to original condition, it would just cost me some money above and beyond the conditions of the total settlement. It's worth it to me to have it fixed (with Toyota parts) and keep it. It has a good 150K at least left in it. A great travel vehicle. Being a 4 cylinder, it won't win any races, but it will fly down the highway. It has never burned a drop of oil in between changes. I've only changed the starter, oxygen sensor, and the radiator/water pump preventively at 126K. I look forward to taking possession of it from the body shop and driving it back to Texas, to safe and sound in my garage, ready for the next road trip."