1996 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 858 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

pretty amazing vehicle!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "great all around vehicle"

Cons: "engine compartment is a little cramped"

"the toyota 4runner, in my experience, is one of the best all-around production vehicles made. especially in when looking at the 3rd gen models. with the creation of the highlander toyota developers were allowed to develop the 3rd gen 4runners, and later models, to be specifically enhanced offroad. while also still maintaining great on road performance and handling. on road they ride smooth, turn accurately, with little to no oversteer, and accelerate aggressively. off road they keep an astonishing weight to power ratio and are able to pull you out of whatever you may find yourself in. even on street tires with open differentials you still wont be stopped. and like all other toyotas they are build to last. im pushing 250,000 miles now with no signs of wearing down."

LOVE LOVE my 4Runner

By on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pros: "Solid smooth feel. Super reliable. Looks cool!"

Cons: "Small for a family of 4. No bigger than a Prius."

"I bought this used when it was one year old. I've now had it 10 years and the only thing that stopped working was the motor for the radio antenna. Nothing else has EVER gone wrong with this. I've had the normal routine tune-ups and it just keeps going and going. We could and should buy a bigger more expensive vehicle but I'm torn because I love this so much!"

These Used Toyota 4 Runners are BULLIT PROOF !!!

By on Friday, November 7, 2014

Pros: "It will get you there and back safely !!"

Cons: "Rides like a Truck,a bit under powered !!"

"If you are in the Market for a Terrific 4 Wheel drive Vehicle, You cant do better than a Toyota 4 Runner no matter what the miles on it !! Do a search and try and find one used,from 1995 to 2005 there just are not any around !! There plenty of Jeeps,Ford Explorers,a ton of GMC's and Chevys 4X4's and only a few 4 Runners,that in it;s self should tell you something !"

A good running vehicle

By on Thursday, May 5, 2016

Pros: "reliable and safe"

Cons: "check out design defect on 2wd 2 piece drive shaft"

"The 2wd 4runner has a design defect in the drive shaft. It will cause the rear axle wheel bearings and aventually cause the tranmission to go out if the drive shaft is not replaced. Other than this it's a great vehicle."

Besy suv ever build by toyota

By on Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cons: "none,"

"I build my 4runner on/off road, arb front bumper, yakima roofrack,lift kit, and 32" tires and this truck keeps in an amazing good condition, mud, wet roads, snow, sand, you name it nothing stop this car. And the best, vary cheap maintenance, regular gas, easy to work on it, $200 for a full tune-up...!!!! DIY."

2000 4-Runner

By on Friday, August 3, 2007

"I've owned Toyota's since 1984, started overseas with a Celica hatchback. Moved back to the states in '86 and got another used Celica hatchback then quickly moved up to a new pickup. Then within the year I saw my first 4-Runner and just had to get it. It was a new '86, yes that's right I went from a Celica to a pickup to the 4-Runner in just a year (just so it's clear, I wasn't disappointed with the first two). I kept that runner (a 4-banger) for 14 years, it even went to Germany with me for 8 years. It took me to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, East Germany and all over West Germany. I really abused it over there in Europe, like not changing oil, not polishing, and very high speeds. I even had a low speed head on collision with a small pickup (Ford Courier type) in '93...I won, the other pickup was totalled but I drove home, luckily there were no injuries. The only problems I had was a leaky water pump, a stuck closed thermostat, and bad oil pump. Back in Idaho I finally traded up in 2000 to this one. It was the last standard stick shift on the lot. I put 82K on it so far and I'm taking a lot better care of this one than I did my first. Only had two major problems, both rt & lt rear axle bearing boots failed (not at the same time) and had to replace the bearings seals and brake shoes (soaked with oil). One under warranty and the other 20K miles later. I did have the automatic antenna mast replaced but that was because of a couple winters worth of driving through freezing fog. The ice build up tends to wreak havoc on the drive when it tries to pull it back down. Gas mileage is still steady at 19 MPG. Best is 22, worst was 13 when pulling a U-haul trailer 600 miles from Idaho to Vegas. Did very well on the 2,700 mile trip from Boise to Montgomery, the trip back was the same. I plan on keeping this till it dies...Sorry Toyota I'm a loyal customer but I won't be buying another for a long time. Toyota, I don't see how anyone could go wrong with buying one, the value far exceeds the price. I'm actually thinking of adding a Prius, Tundra, or Sienna to my garage...we'll see."

Excellent vehicle, very reliable!

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "Excellent and reliable vehicle from all points of view"

Cons: "None!"

"I own this car now for 11 years and is driving like new. Excellent engine and pretty good on gas comparable with newer models!Never have any issues other that normal tear and wear (tires, brakes, belts). High value retention, too. Highly recommended."

The best rig ever made

By on Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pros: "Fun, super reliable, good looking"

Cons: "No new ones!!"

"This is by far the best automobile... easy to drive, safe, timeless good looks. I wish Toyota would have just kept making this body style while upgrading everything unseen. If I could drive this little rig the rest of my life, I would. Wish I didn't need a new car. If TOYOTA still made cars as good as this one, I would reccommend it to everyone I know, however, neither the Highlander nor the new 4-Runners seem to hold a candle to it."

The Perfect Vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pros: "great safety record, very high value retention, very well built and doesn't need repairs"

"I bought my 4Runner new in 2000 and am still driving it 11 years later. I've only ever had to make very minor repairs to it. I can't believe how well this car has help up. Only repairs needed in 11 years: - replaced electrical antenna (approx 4 yrs after purchase) - replaced molding under driver seat that came dislodged from pressure of sliding in and out of drivers seat. (6 yrs) - A/C fan no longer blows on lowest setting, but still functions on all other setting (11 yrs) - turn signal occasionally needs to be turned off and turned back on to blink (11 yrs)"

Very dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "very enjoyable to drive still with high miles"

Cons: "Driver seat wears too much . no other complaints"

"This vehicle has been the most reliable vehicle I have own ed. Even with 203000 miles it still runs and drives great. Right now I am getting a major check up by a reliable mechanic to maintain its condition and keep it running for another 100k miles. Body and interior are still in excellent condition except for drivers seat showing wear."