1996 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 834 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

Very dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "very enjoyable to drive still with high miles"

Cons: "Driver seat wears too much . no other complaints"

"This vehicle has been the most reliable vehicle I have own ed. Even with 203000 miles it still runs and drives great. Right now I am getting a major check up by a reliable mechanic to maintain its condition and keep it running for another 100k miles. Body and interior are still in excellent condition except for drivers seat showing wear."

1996 4Runner Limited Super Duper nice truck

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "Drive train, Cargo capacity, drive-ability, looks"

Cons: "Breaking could be better with tundra brake upgrade"

"I have had many Toyotas in the past and I know the 3.4L engines in these trucks are down right awesome engines. I can take or leave lush leather interior, cup holders, power sunroof, etc... But the drive train is straight up legendary. The amount of room in my 96 4Runner is ample enough to haul my family including the dogs as well as camping gear and enough supplies for our weekend getaway's. The newer 4Runners are very nice and plush with hefty price tags but the older generations meet my needs much better in price and constant dependability. I really like the body style of the 96 4 Runner. The body lines flow down the sides and just make it look tougher than the newer ones. If you have a chance to purchase one you will not go wrong what so ever providing it has been taken care of in the past."

LOVE my 4runner

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, Utility"

"I bought my 96 SR5 from my old man in 2005 when it had 90K miles and it has treated me very, very well. Only problems I've had were EGR valve and a radiator leak. All the rest has been preventive maintenance. Doesn't have a ton of power and doesn't get the best mileage in the world, but it's an older SUV, so I shouldn't complain. Does great on and off road, and pulls my 6x12 enclosed trailer full of stuff just fine. Blue book probably says its only worth 4500, but there's no way I'd sell it for that."

The best rig ever made

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pros: "Fun, super reliable, good looking"

Cons: "No new ones!!"

"This is by far the best automobile... easy to drive, safe, timeless good looks. I wish Toyota would have just kept making this body style while upgrading everything unseen. If I could drive this little rig the rest of my life, I would. Wish I didn't need a new car. If TOYOTA still made cars as good as this one, I would reccommend it to everyone I know, however, neither the Highlander nor the new 4-Runners seem to hold a candle to it."

nothing else like it on the roads !

By on Friday, August 03, 2012

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE! Safe"

Cons: "no cd player, transmission is going out, burns oil"

"If y'all want a safe and reliable vehicle? Y'all gotta get this! I just bought myself this for Christmas and it was the best present ever. It has gone through many many mud holes, up mountains, everywhere you can imagine, this 4runner has gone. Best vehicle ever made, not the newer 4runner's, just the 1995-2006."