1996 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 812 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

One of the best built vehicles hands down!

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Very dependable, long lasting, and great value!"

Cons: "No rear air, tight interior."

"I purchased my 4Runner in 2003 with about 26,000 miles on it and have been driving it ever since. Tons of big mileage trips loaded with gear, easy 4x4ing, and plenty of hauling, this car has done right by me! Eleven years later with a total 248,000+ miles and it's still running well. Aside from the regular maintenance, over the years I've replaced all the shocks/struts, brakes, inner/outer tie rod ends, sway bar & steering rack bushings. The only major repairs which all seemed to happen in the same year included replacement of the transmission at 230,000 miles (when it finally gave out), a new cat, and a total cleaning of the fuel intake system which had years of carbon build up. It's lost some of it's fuel efficiency and you can tell the power isn't what it used to be, but it still a dependable driver and fully capable road trip/camping vehicle. I've owned some great GMC & Ford 3/4 ton pickups as well as my share of cars from VW, Ford, Mazda, Pontiac, and Dodge but have to say that Toyota did it right with the 2001 4Runner. It is a well made, dependable, long running vehicle and I will keep on driving it to at least 300k!"

BEST I'VE EVER OWNED

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliable Reliable Reliable"

Cons: "Could have more leg room"

"Purchased this new with 52 miles showing. 471,000 miles later I still take it on trips under 250 miles. I drive 110 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. Never had an issue other than changed starter (2006) and alternator (2012). Going to buy another to replace it shortly."

Best vehicle ever

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

Pros: "Does everything I need in a vehicle and is reliabl"

Cons: "hitch rust"

"This vehicle does everything I need in a car, is reliable, can tow, can handle snow and ice, and has great cargo space. I also like its rugged look."

Very reliable and trouble free

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

"Original owner... Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned!"

Best bang for your buck

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "Comparatively a good price, safe, 4wd, power"

Cons: "no rear a/c, poor gas mileage"

"This is the second 4Runner I've owned and I love it. My first Runner was an 83; the 99 definitely has many improved features. It drives nice- very smooth with a good view and minimal blind spots. Interior is spacious and comfortable with lots of storage space. The back would be more breathable however if it had rear a/c along with the heat that already comes stock. The speakers are stock and still sound great. Gas mileage isn't that good which is expected from this size SUV. Everything is power operated, has a nice sun roof, temperature control, and a rear diff lock- just a few of my favorite features. I've only had to perform regular maintenance and the vehicle is still in very good shape with no major repairs needed. I highly recommend the 4runner to anybody in need of extra space, car-pooling, high viability, a great drive-train with excellent 4WD capability."