1996 Toyota 4Runner

9.4

Based on 829 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

9.7/10

pretty amazing vehicle!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "great all around vehicle"

Cons: "engine compartment is a little cramped"

"the toyota 4runner, in my experience, is one of the best all-around production vehicles made. especially in when looking at the 3rd gen models. with the creation of the highlander toyota developers were allowed to develop the 3rd gen 4runners, and later models, to be specifically enhanced offroad. while also still maintaining great on road performance and handling. on road they ride smooth, turn accurately, with little to no oversteer, and accelerate aggressively. off road they keep an astonishing weight to power ratio and are able to pull you out of whatever you may find yourself in. even on street tires with open differentials you still wont be stopped. and like all other toyotas they are build to last. im pushing 250,000 miles now with no signs of wearing down."

Excellent vehicle, very reliable!

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "Excellent and reliable vehicle from all points of view"

Cons: "None!"

"I own this car now for 11 years and is driving like new. Excellent engine and pretty good on gas comparable with newer models!Never have any issues other that normal tear and wear (tires, brakes, belts). High value retention, too. Highly recommended."

Best vehicle I have ever had. I love it!

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Like the seats and warmers; like sitting high."

Cons: "Some of the plastic parts break - cup holders,etc."

"The reliablity has been wonderful. I have had no maintenance on the car other than the 3000 mile oil change, which I have kept on time. Even the tires lasted. I have bought new tires only once in twelve years. I fully recommend this car. I will actually be sorrowful when I have to get a new car, but it will be a Toyota."

Besy suv ever build by toyota

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Cons: "none,"

"I build my 4runner on/off road, arb front bumper, yakima roofrack,lift kit, and 32" tires and this truck keeps in an amazing good condition, mud, wet roads, snow, sand, you name it nothing stop this car. And the best, vary cheap maintenance, regular gas, easy to work on it, $200 for a full tune-up...!!!! DIY."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Great family recreational vehicle"

Cons: "unkown at this time"

"I purchased a used 1999 4runner SRS with 167k. I heard that Toyota 4runners were reliable and a good family vehicle. I have had no complaints. It rides better than my previous car which was a 2004. My 9 year old loves the rear floor A/C unit in the summer and heater in the winter. All windows including my sunroof can be rolled down during those few nice days in Phoenix. I had to replace normal wear and tear items such as belts and hoses, but with regular oil changes I havent had any major issues. I have taken our 4Runner to Jerome, Sedona, Tuscon, never once having manuevering problems or offroading problems.I installed an aftermarket safari rack on it and looks very appealing. Within the first year of purchase I have had at least three random people ask if we were thinking about selling. I have approximately 197k original miles and still running like its new. The interior is strong, but not as easy to clean as the new tighter woven fabric. I am able to fit 2 adults 3 kids 9-16 in the back and three full sized Labs in the rear,no problem. The rear seat folds completely down where i have carried lumber and hiking gear including 2 mountain bikes.The rear had many tie down spots to allow bungie cords to be strapped down to prevent shifting of contents. For a 99 I was pleasantly surprised that all windows were power and that they were so smooth and quick. The driver has the ablility to do a one-touch press so both drivers and passengers window goes down at once. This feature is great, I dont like taking my hand off the wheel offroading and holding a button down to roll down the passenger window. Overall this is a great vehicle, has met all my families needs and I would recommend this vehicle to friends and families."

2000 4-Runner

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I've owned Toyota's since 1984, started overseas with a Celica hatchback. Moved back to the states in '86 and got another used Celica hatchback then quickly moved up to a new pickup. Then within the year I saw my first 4-Runner and just had to get it. It was a new '86, yes that's right I went from a Celica to a pickup to the 4-Runner in just a year (just so it's clear, I wasn't disappointed with the first two). I kept that runner (a 4-banger) for 14 years, it even went to Germany with me for 8 years. It took me to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, East Germany and all over West Germany. I really abused it over there in Europe, like not changing oil, not polishing, and very high speeds. I even had a low speed head on collision with a small pickup (Ford Courier type) in '93...I won, the other pickup was totalled but I drove home, luckily there were no injuries. The only problems I had was a leaky water pump, a stuck closed thermostat, and bad oil pump. Back in Idaho I finally traded up in 2000 to this one. It was the last standard stick shift on the lot. I put 82K on it so far and I'm taking a lot better care of this one than I did my first. Only had two major problems, both rt & lt rear axle bearing boots failed (not at the same time) and had to replace the bearings seals and brake shoes (soaked with oil). One under warranty and the other 20K miles later. I did have the automatic antenna mast replaced but that was because of a couple winters worth of driving through freezing fog. The ice build up tends to wreak havoc on the drive when it tries to pull it back down. Gas mileage is still steady at 19 MPG. Best is 22, worst was 13 when pulling a U-haul trailer 600 miles from Idaho to Vegas. Did very well on the 2,700 mile trip from Boise to Montgomery, the trip back was the same. I plan on keeping this till it dies...Sorry Toyota I'm a loyal customer but I won't be buying another for a long time. Toyota, I don't see how anyone could go wrong with buying one, the value far exceeds the price. I'm actually thinking of adding a Prius, Tundra, or Sienna to my garage...we'll see."

Superb vehicle

By on Monday, April 13, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, durable, capable, great off road, hauls"

"Incredibly reliable and durable truck. Have taken it on many touch four wheel drive trails and thousands of miles of general rough roads with great performance. Has never stranded me. The only issues have been expected for the mileage, such as a wheel bearing. Hauls a lot of gear and people. Spacious yet maneuverable. Easy to take the rear seats out for a little over 6 feet of room to sleep or haul boards, appliances, furniture, and other large items. The sliding rear window is nice for this too and is a great feature."

Very dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "very enjoyable to drive still with high miles"

Cons: "Driver seat wears too much . no other complaints"

"This vehicle has been the most reliable vehicle I have own ed. Even with 203000 miles it still runs and drives great. Right now I am getting a major check up by a reliable mechanic to maintain its condition and keep it running for another 100k miles. Body and interior are still in excellent condition except for drivers seat showing wear."

1996 4Runner Limited Super Duper nice truck

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "Drive train, Cargo capacity, drive-ability, looks"

Cons: "Breaking could be better with tundra brake upgrade"

"I have had many Toyotas in the past and I know the 3.4L engines in these trucks are down right awesome engines. I can take or leave lush leather interior, cup holders, power sunroof, etc... But the drive train is straight up legendary. The amount of room in my 96 4Runner is ample enough to haul my family including the dogs as well as camping gear and enough supplies for our weekend getaway's. The newer 4Runners are very nice and plush with hefty price tags but the older generations meet my needs much better in price and constant dependability. I really like the body style of the 96 4 Runner. The body lines flow down the sides and just make it look tougher than the newer ones. If you have a chance to purchase one you will not go wrong what so ever providing it has been taken care of in the past."

LOVE my 4runner

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, Utility"

"I bought my 96 SR5 from my old man in 2005 when it had 90K miles and it has treated me very, very well. Only problems I've had were EGR valve and a radiator leak. All the rest has been preventive maintenance. Doesn't have a ton of power and doesn't get the best mileage in the world, but it's an older SUV, so I shouldn't complain. Does great on and off road, and pulls my 6x12 enclosed trailer full of stuff just fine. Blue book probably says its only worth 4500, but there's no way I'd sell it for that."