2014 Tesla Model S Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $79,091 - $81,402.

Invoice N/A

9.6

Based on 45 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

9.7/10
    9.8/10
    9.8/10

Awesome car

By on Saturday, May 04, 2013

Pros: "Efficiency, touch controls and a joy to drive"

Cons: "Too few cup holders, missing a couple features"

"I've driven lots of nice cars, from BMW's to Porsche's, and my Model S is the best car I've ever owned or driven. To be able to combine the performance of an exceptional sports car with comfort of a luxury car AND the efficiency better than any hybrid is what I find to be most remarkable. Range is the biggest compromise, but my range so far has been close to rated (200+ miles on regular charge with the 85kw battery and limited use of climate control), which is fine for me 95% of the time (will swap with my wife's car for longer trips where I don't want to worry about it). Also, love the touch screen center stack...definitely ahead of its time and it works great. The car has a feel of quality. Yes, it's missing some features (parking sensors, blind spot monitor, etc), but the sum of the car more than makes up for the lack of a couple missing options. I have also had a couple minor hiccups -- defective 3G antenna needed to be replaced and waiting on a fix to the tire pressure warning that keeps popping up, but overall, I love the car. Best advise for anyone doubting the performance or otherwise on the fence is to drive the car."

100 year before its time!

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Exotic FAST, F1 handling, Off-the-hook technology."

Cons: "Somewhat expensive for the avarage consumer."

Tesla: Model S P85

"Driving the Tesla: Model S can only be described as a massive leap forward into the distant future! Not only can this car out-perform just about EVERYTHING on the road (in real world driving), it does it with amazing style, comfort, and handling! I own the P85 Performance version (85 kWh battery) and if you offered me a 2013 Porsche 911GT for it, I would quickly turn you down. Because the Model S Peformance is such a far superior car in all levels of eveything, it even makes the most sought-after vehicels on the road feel obsolete by comparison. The torque of the Model S is so instant, it's already gone by the time the Porsche has sent the fuel to the pistons, cranked the rods, found the gear, and spooled up the turbos. Everyone I have given a ride to in my Model S says exactly the same thing... "It's a roller-coaster on wheels!!!" Because it is insanely fast, smooth, and completely silent. Best of all, it cost pennies to drive, has more room than most SUV-crossover's. Never mind technology that even makes Bentley and Roles-Royce appear like ox-carts from the 1800's. I have already driven 270 miles on a single charge, and charging it at home is a breeze! It's not a wonder why the critics at Motor Trend gave it the most prestigious 'Car of the Year' award for 2013 (and the accolades just keep on coming). Tesla has single-handedly brought back the prestige American once had in the automotive industry."

Tesla: Model S P85

The most amazing car I've ever owned

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, all electric, beautiful styling"

Cons: "expensive, a little tight for entry/exit,"

"It's a brand new car from a brand new company so there are a few glitches here and there, but nothing that really takes away from the incredible fun of driving it. And just about everything is fixable in software as they refine it. It goes like a bat out of hades, and I haven't been to a gas station in three months. Even though it's a huge car, its aggressively sporty styling makes it a little tight to get in and out of compared to other big four door sedans. Once you're in though you don't want to get out."

Amazing ride

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Fast, smooth, runs on sunshine (PV), silent"

Cons: "weak rear visibility, no rear cup holders, heavy"

"The first thing that is striking when driving the Model S is the telepathic response of the throttle; no delay, just gobs of torque (and negative regen torque when lifting the foot). Beyond this, it's just a really comfortable ride which can be driven silky smoothly. With the air suspension, it's like riding a magic carpet. Almost everything is electronically adjustable. It has an absurd about of storage space, and still a lot with rear-facing child seats installed (waiting for those)."

This Car Is a Game-Changer

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "Fantastic, fast, exciting, beautiful, elegant"

Cons: "No parking sensors (no big deal)"

"When describing the Tesla Model S you soon run out of superlatives - Fantastic, fast, exciting, beautiful, elegant, flawless. Elon Musk set the goal of building the "Best Car in the World that just happens to be electrically powered." He's achieved this in spades. I've owned Mercedes and Lexus, but my Tesla is by far the best car I've ever driven. If you're in the market for a high-end luxury sedan, you owe it to yourself to test-drive a Tesla."

Love it!

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "Economical, fast and a blast to drive!"

Cons: "seating is stiff"

"I love this car. Have had it for only two weeks, but it has been great. Charging with the High Powered Wall Charger is easy, Nevada Power gives a special low cut rate, so it is cheap! Very quite when on the freeway, very powerful, easily overtakes traffic. I own a 12 cylinder Mercedes-Benz AMG, and the pick up on this car is just as exciting! I can't wait to try to make it to Southern CA., have already checked out the Barstow Tesla Supercharger station and have had a 240V outlet installed at our home in Huntington Beach."

Driving it puts a grin on my face!

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "A gas (without gas) to drive."

Cons: "Could use more interior storage room"

"This is the most unbelievable automobile ever. Nothing on the road can compare to it in form and function. It can be a sports sedan, whipping a BMW M5 from 0-60 and 0-100, all in silence that shames a Rolls Royce or Bentley. It can be a SUV carrying 5 adults and 2 kids comfortably with more room than a Porche Panamerica. It has a computer controls that makes ALL others look like they're still in the dark ages. It's a computer on steroids with wheels! It makes gas stations defunct since you just plug it in when you come home and in as little as 4-5 hours your ready for another 265 EPA rated miles without sending any of your money to the Middle East. Just puts a grin on my face whenever I see or drive it. This car IS the future, today."

Fast, fun, fuel-free

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Too many to list."

Cons: "Pricey, missing some features in similar cars"

Picture from the first day I got it.

"I have owned this car for nearly a month, and it has changed driving as I used to know it. I used to have to drive around and think about how full my tank was. I used to think about gas prices and where to get the cheaper gas. Now, I drive this incredible car with amazing performance characteristics (0-60 in ~4 seconds) and never worry about any of that. The ample ~300 range is a non-issue unlike most EV's for over 99% of my driving. I take 15 seconds to plug the car in about 1-2 times a week and have the entire week's worth of driving taken care of. The large touchscreen interface is incredibly easy to use, and updates get pushed to the car to the car improve driving performance and add features. Never had a manufacturer add features to a car after I bought it before either. To sum it up fast, fun, luxurious, comfortable, guilt-free acceleration, revolutionary. I will not go back to an ICE car."

Picture from the first day I got it.

Best car I have ever owned!

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "Outrangeously fun -- instant torque"

Cons: "Only 2 cupmholders"

"This is the 2nd EV I have owned. It's leaps and bounds better than the competition of EVs, hybrids, and gas-powered cars -- more range, more cargo space, more passenger space, more performance. Innovative 17" touchscreen interface for car controls (doors, lights), ability to customize drive characteristics (level of regen, feel of the power steering, etc.), climate controls, entertainment systems, internet, etc. DetaIled graphical feedback showing efficiency of driving. Excellent customer experience with vehicle delivery and personal walk-thru and help customizing the car. Instant torque from the electric motor makes this car incredibly quick off the line. This is the first car I have ever driven that makes me feel like I'm driving and interacting with a 21st century car. Tesla hit a home run with this car. It has won nearly every possible auto and tech industry awards. As a bonus the availability, ease of use, and speed of charging the car using the expanding network of Tesla Super Chargers -- ability to reclaim 50% range in 30min and 100% charge within 60 min of charging -- cannot be beat. This allows Tesla Model S drivers to complete a road trip in similar timeframe as a gas-powered car."

This is where the auto future is going...

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, "gas-free", very quick acceleration."

Cons: "Rear-view sight."

"A thrill to drive. No problems at all. Have been through 0 degree weather in Chicago with it. Range decreases by 20% overall. Very reliable. Ride is exceptional! Have encountered lots of "Anti-Tesla" individuals who are just jealous. Car is expensive, but all good things must encounter "rough beginnings", and people should be happy that investors and individuals are taking a chance on "the future" of automobiles- Hey, the average Joe should be glad someone is willing to give this alternative "a try". So far, so good! I believe in this company. The product has been great, and the customer service just as good. This is a great "2nd car" for any family. Be sure to have one regular combustion engine style vehicle on hand to travel those infrequent "long-haul" distances. Overall, I travel no more than 60 miles a day, and the 60kw Tesla Model S has been more than enough to do the job of getting me to where I need to go 99.99% of the time."

Best car ever, faster than my Porsche 911 60-80mph

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Pros: "Great fun to drive, great value, beautiful looks!"

Cons: "Had to pay $1100 to get a 240V outlet"

"I waited for 11 months to get a Model S (60kWh); but it certainly is worth the wait! Talk about the great performance, looks, technology, and guilt-free driving experience since it produces zero emission. I have driven it 2500 miles and I have just thoroughly enjoyed it. I did a cost of ownership estimate and came up with $0.35/mile over 7 years, which is cheaper than the Honda CR-V (cost $0.52/mile over 7 years) that it replaced! And, I get to use the HOV lane, which saves me $400/yr on express lane toll. Not having to get gas every 5-6 days has been so wonderful - I didn't even figure the amount of money (people say time is money) that I save over 7 years not getting gas. PG&E's PEV rate makes it very cheap to charge during off peak hours."

Not just a car that's electric

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Cons: "range, no cup holders"

"This car was designed from the ground up to be an electric car, so if it looks anything like you're familiar with, that's a conscious design decision. They could have made it look like a sci-fi pod, and had nintendo steering. Basically, unlike all the other electric cars out there which were designed to fit into their megacorporation factory lines, or parts bin, this car was designed to be the best that it could be. Consequently, it drives differently from a regular car. Smoother, more responsive, quieter. Basically, better in almost every way. It's so much better, it will change your view on what a car is supposed to be. I could list a hundred things, but it's much easier if I list what it's bad at. Assume that if I didn't list it, I think it's not just good, it's as good as it gets. First the faults. You really don't want to drive more than 180-240 miles from home (round trip) depending on the model you buy. The superchargers are great technology, and may work as a decent solution much of the time in the next few years, but for now, and as a 100% effective solution, it's not really a good solution. However, most of us don't drive more than 180-240 miles in a day except a few times a year. During those times, you can take your second car if you have one, or a rental. Honestly, if you don't drive more than 180-240 miles more than six times a year, it's a minor fault. If you do, don't buy this car. However, if you don't drive more than 180-240 miles, you're in for a whole different experience. How often do you look down and notice you're at a 1/4 tank and have to schedule a gas station detour? With the Model S, if you plug in every night, you never worry about it. Unless you have a life that causes you to somehow end up hundreds of miles from home in random situations, you'll never worry about running out of gas again. You'll always be full in the morning. Second, the interior is spartan. Only 2 cupholders in the whole car. No folding armrest for the back seat. The back seat is he little weak for a car of this caliber. The headroom for back seat passengers is not great. The view out the rear view mirror is a little crowded. And, well, that's about it. Everything else about this car is about as good as it gets. The range factor for some is a dealbreaker. And if you're planning to use your car as a taxi, or you are a door-to-door salesman and cover 3 large states, look elsewhere. For almost anyone else who can afford this car, it's better in almost every way than the competition. P.S. Environmentally, if you plug this car in at home, it's GREENER than a similar car of this size, but it's not a huge plus. If you load up with solar, you're GREEN. If a ton of these get sold and the country starts putting in greener power plants, these will be much greener, but for now, they're mostly just an improvement, not a solution."

Most innovative vehicle in history

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Thrift, safety, comfort, style, innovation, web"

"This is the sleekest, quietest, fastest, safest, most reliable most economical vehicle I have ever driven. The ride puts my Lexus to shame. The handling is absolutely perfect. Absolutely hugs the road with low CG. Air suspension, 21"wheels, more storage room than an SUV because there is no engine, radiator, transmission, fuel tank, exhaust pipe, muffler, catalytic convertor, etc. Rated equivalent 89MPG. My 1350 miles used 450 KWh of electricity at 9.8 cents per KWh. My Lexus RX400h hybrid would go 300 miles on that same $45 worth of gasolene."

The most amazing technology I've ever driven

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Super quiet, very fast, great looking, no gas!"

"The Tesla Model S is a groundbreaking automobile. Very quiet, very fast, very stylish, and no gas, ever. There is no other EV even close to the range of the Model S available anywhere today. It is intuitive to drive and is largely software managed. I've gotten several updates downloaded to the car that add new functions and refine existing ones. There's no other automobile in the world that gets better the longer you own it. It is expensive, but no more so than gas-burners in its class. Moreover, driving it you feel that you are part of the beginning of a new transportation paradigm. This is a highway car, and I have driven it on one Winter trip of 1700 miles already. With the 90A charging station infrastructure already in place for Canada (through the dedicated efforts of Sun Country Highway), I could drive from Newfoundland to British Columbia with very little difference in total drive time from the gas-burners I used to drive. If you can afford one, put in your reservation -- you will never regret it."

Not just a car that happens to be electric

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Cons: "range, no cup holders"

"This car was designed from the ground up to be an electric car, so if it looks anything like you're familiar with, that's a conscious design decision. They could have made it look like a sci-fi pod, and had nintendo steering. Basically, unlike all the other electric cars out there which were designed to fit into their megacorporation factory lines, or parts bin, this car was designed to be the best that it could be but yet still remain familiar. Consequently, it drives differently from a regular car. Smoother, more responsive, quieter. Basically, better in almost every way. It's so much better, it will change your view on what a car is supposed to be. I could list a hundred things, but it's much easier if I list what it's bad at. Assume that if I didn't list it, I think it's not just good, it's as good as it gets. First the faults: First, it's expensive. If you can't afford $60-100K on a car, you're out of luck. Is it worth it? Is any car worth $60-100K? That's up to the individual. Second, you really don't want to drive more than 180-240 miles (depending on the model) from home very often. The superchargers are great technology, and may work as an adequate solution much of the time in the next few years, but for now, and as a 100% effective solution, it's not really a good solution. However, most of us don't drive more than 180-240 miles in a day except a few times a year. During those times, you can take your second car if you have one, or a rental. Honestly, if you don't drive more than 180-240 miles more than six times a year, it's a minor fault. If you do, don't buy this car. However, if you don't drive more than 180-240 miles, you're in for a whole different experience. How often do you look down and notice you're at a 1/4 tank and have to schedule a gas station detour? With the Model S, if you plug in every night, you never worry about it. Unless you have a life that causes you to somehow end up hundreds of miles from home in random situations, you'll never worry about running out of gas again. You'll always be full in the morning. Finally, the interior is spartan. Not cheap looking, just "minimalist". Only 2 cupholders in the whole car. No lighted vanities. No coat hooks. No folding armrest for the back seat. The back seat is he little weak for a car of this caliber. The headroom for back seat passengers is not great. The view out the rear view mirror is a little crowded. The frunk is a little heavy and hard to close. The floor mats ride up. And, well, that's about it. Everything else about this car is about as good as it gets. The range factor for some is a dealbreaker. And if you're planning to use your car as a taxi, or you are a door-to-door salesman and cover 3 large states, look elsewhere. For almost anyone else who can afford this car, it's better in almost every way than the competition. I own a Model S 60. And I'd have to be a poet to put into words the effect this car has had on me. Not since I turned 16 have I had these kinds of feelings about driving. It's not an exaggeration to say that this car has actually changed me as a person. P.S. Environmentally, if you plug this car in at home, it's GREENER than a similar car of this size, but as long as most of the power in the country is coal and/or oil, it can't be completely environmentally friendly. If you load up with solar, you're GREEN. If a ton of these get sold and the country starts putting in greener power plants, these will be much greener, but for now, they're mostly just an improvement, not a solution."

Best car I have ever owned or driven

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Luxury sports car for the whole family"

Cons: "3G reception on winding mountain roads you seek"

"An all electric car that doesn't look like an electric car, is fun to drive and makes you feel good while looking great! The acceleration is breathtaking. Forget 0 to 60 on which this car will leave others in the dust. The consistent smoothness of going from 60 to 90 without any delay changes the way you will drive. No waiting for the passing gear to kick in it feels more like a modern roller coaster getting going than any car I've ever driven. Maintenance is non- existent with no gas, oil or radiator fluids to monitor, in fact the only user maintained feature is the windshield washer reservoir. The direct drive dual induction motors on the rear wheels smoothly take energy out of the 85kWh battery when pressing the accelerator and put it back in when you take your foot off. Software upgrades add new features to the car automatically overnight while charging. You will need to put a 240v 30 to 60 amp service in your garage to recharge from a days driving using power companies low time of use rate plans. It will cost you about $2 for 100 miles of charge on the PG&E EV rate schedule overnight. With gas at $4 per gallon that is equivalent to 200 mpg on a cost basis. The superchargers are very impressive recharging a car in 30 to 60 minutes for free. The low center of gravity makes the car perform very well on cornering. This car defines a new category as luxury sports car for the family. The interior is spacious and comfortable with ample seating and storage where the engine and trunk are on regular cars. Some luxury features are missing like back up alerts and vanity mirror lights but these are quickly overlooked based on the overall enjoyment of the drive. The car is entirely drive by wire with all the controls, information and entertainment provided through a central 17" flat screen tablet display built into the console. Intuitive transfer of relative data from the infotainment display to the dashboard is amazing. Turn by turn directions that include number of turning lanes and a picture of the exit sign are delightful. I bought the car because I felt that 100% electric is the way to go. I'm pleased that it performs so well and looks so cool!"

I love my Tesla S

By on Saturday, January 05, 2013

"I just got my Tesla S and I love it. It is stylish, really fast, and quiet. It has amazing torque. You just plug it in at night and drive the next day."

MAKES ME HATE DRIVING MY OTHER GASOLINE CARS

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "Fast, Quiet, Solid, Beautiful"

"I've had my Model S for 3 months now and I've also owned 2 Hondas, 1 BMW, 2 Fords, 1 Jag, 2 Chevy's, 1 Pontiac, 2 Cadillacs, and 3 Chryslers. I was nervous when I bought a Tesla because many things about the car are revolutionary, but my Tesla Model S is BY FAR the best car I've ever owned. I have yet to get f/b from another owner that wasn't effusive. No oil changes. No smog checks. No transmission or transmission problems. I hardly ever use brakes because they're regenerative . . . so no brake jobs. There are plugs everywhere so I hardly ever charge at home. So I'm driving FOR FREE. It's extremely solid, well-built, whisper quiet and I can beat pretty much any car from a stop. The torque and acceleration will blow your mind!"

Not just a car that's electric

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Cons: "range, no cup holders"

A great car and fully electric

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, fully electric, solid performance"

Cons: "High upfront cost for this groundbreaking car"

"The Model S design,handling and power are exceptional. This vehicle far exceeds my previous cars (which includes BMW, Lexus and Volvo). I am driving the performance model. This is a driver's car with more focus on handling and driving dynamics rather than cupholders. The electronics update wirelessly. The car must be ordered from Tesla on the internet and there is currently a long wait for the vehicle."

fantastic car

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

"My car is simply amazing, the world will change because of it"

Best Car Ever Built!

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Excellent Design, Fast, $7=230mi, Hi Tech, Green"

Cons: "Pricey for many, so quiet pedestrians don't hear u"

"Best vehicle I have ever driven! Mostly charge in my garage costing me a mere $7 for a range of 230 miles.(300mi models avail.) Tesla superchargers being installed around the U.S.A. along interstates are free and only take around 1 hour depending on how low in miles you are. It makes me smile every time I drive it. Everywhere I go, someone wants to know all about it. 17" screen has internet web/music, GPS map,and all the high tech controls easily learned. AC freezes me out in FL hot summers. Excellent handling, very smooth in pickup and slowing down. Rarely need brakes (unless a fast stop) due to regenerative braking. Don't care about gas prices anymore. No more exhaust fumes. Test drive one, you will want one."

Exceeds my pre-purchase expectations

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "see below"

Cons: "see below"

"The Good: Fun to drive. Addictive. Powerful, instant torque, fun handling Forward-thinking interface all handled by touch screen. Beautiful Constant over-the-air software updating Good warranty. Excellent customer service. Superchargers make long distance driving worry free. Did I say fun to drive? No Gas! The Not So Good: New company. Must continue to prove itself to maintain loyalty. Teething pains on some of the hardware. Good service addresses this worry, however. Expensive. Model E will be much more affordable. Some may suffer range anxiety, but for 95% of life, it's just not an issue at all."

I love my tesla model S performance

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Amazing to drivel, never stopping at a gas station"

Cons: "No parking sensors and touchscreen gets filthy"

"I absolutely love my car, I admit their are a few features I miss that I had on other cars I have owned that are not included in the Tesla, but the pros do the car make up for it."

She is beautiful, She is fast , She is my baby

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

"This is the best car anybody ever own one."