• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2013 Tesla Model S Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $68,667 - $73,472.

Invoice N/A

9.5

Based on 35 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

9.7/10
    9.8/10
    9.7/10

The worlds first Perfect Car

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Smooth drive, Performance, Simplicity of Ownership"

Cons: "With this acceleration?!! Tires Cost!!"

"A rocket ship! Unbelievably smooth and fast to drive. Simple to refuel at home. never think about gas again. 100% reliable. No maintenance. Wider than a 750i. Far More luggage space than a 750i. Perfect customer service. Love the new free 'apps' and features updates with each new software release. Love the fact that supercharger refills are free for life. All I need to pay for is tires and wiper blades. This is the only car I have ever driven where strangers on the street wave at you and give you a thumbs up! So many strangers walk up in the parking lot and ask about the car. Everyone wants one. Everyone loves it. I have given so many test rides to strangers.. as they just love this car. I can't recommend it enough! THE Chick MAGNET to beat all CHICK MAGNETS! Hey, it even looks like the best car!"

Best car ever. And I mean EVER. Surpasses

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Little fit and finish issues which will improve"

"What more can be said about the Model S. The car is one of a kind. I've owned the car over a year and I am still amazed that this thing was ever built. Believe the hype the car is rock solid. I never really cared about cars in the past but this one changes the game. The only thing that I can say negative about it outside of the little fit and finish parts of the vehicle because Tesla is a new company would be the price but hey it is worth every penny. And when you have to take the car in for one of the fit and finish items Tesla service is beyond anything dealers offer today they fix the issue and you are back driving the best car ever."

Best Car Ever Built!

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Excellent Design, Fast, $7=230mi, Hi Tech, Green"

Cons: "Pricey for many, so quiet pedestrians don't hear u"

"Best vehicle I have ever driven! Mostly charge in my garage costing me a mere $7 for a range of 230 miles.(300mi models avail.) Tesla superchargers being installed around the U.S.A. along interstates are free and only take around 1 hour depending on how low in miles you are. It makes me smile every time I drive it. Everywhere I go, someone wants to know all about it. 17" screen has internet web/music, GPS map,and all the high tech controls easily learned. AC freezes me out in FL hot summers. Excellent handling, very smooth in pickup and slowing down. Rarely need brakes (unless a fast stop) due to regenerative braking. Don't care about gas prices anymore. No more exhaust fumes. Test drive one, you will want one."

This is where the auto future is going...

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, "gas-free", very quick acceleration."

Cons: "Rear-view sight."

"A thrill to drive. No problems at all. Have been through 0 degree weather in Chicago with it. Range decreases by 20% overall. Very reliable. Ride is exceptional! Have encountered lots of "Anti-Tesla" individuals who are just jealous. Car is expensive, but all good things must encounter "rough beginnings", and people should be happy that investors and individuals are taking a chance on "the future" of automobiles- Hey, the average Joe should be glad someone is willing to give this alternative "a try". So far, so good! I believe in this company. The product has been great, and the customer service just as good. This is a great "2nd car" for any family. Be sure to have one regular combustion engine style vehicle on hand to travel those infrequent "long-haul" distances. Overall, I travel no more than 60 miles a day, and the 60kw Tesla Model S has been more than enough to do the job of getting me to where I need to go 99.99% of the time."

Exceeds my pre-purchase expectations

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "see below"

Cons: "see below"

"The Good: Fun to drive. Addictive. Powerful, instant torque, fun handling Forward-thinking interface all handled by touch screen. Beautiful Constant over-the-air software updating Good warranty. Excellent customer service. Superchargers make long distance driving worry free. Did I say fun to drive? No Gas! The Not So Good: New company. Must continue to prove itself to maintain loyalty. Teething pains on some of the hardware. Good service addresses this worry, however. Expensive. Model E will be much more affordable. Some may suffer range anxiety, but for 95% of life, it's just not an issue at all."

Amazing car

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "The frunk, the touchscreen, fun to drive"

Cons: "small vanity mirrors, too many questions by people"

"Had the car for 8 months and I love it. It's fast, looks great and has a very sleek interior. I'm a car guy who grew up in the 80's, so there's alot of minor things to appreciate on this car. The fact that the speakers and fan go to 11! It's great that they have a sense of humor. Made me smile, when I found those Easter eggs. The fact that I don't need gas, the fact that it's easy to charge and when you drive it. No big issues, small issue, maybe the radio, AM does get lousy reception and FM OK in my area, The car is in effect a Faraday cage so what do you expect? Just don't put metallic window tint and you'll be fine. Easy fix is to listen to Am radio it via streaming internet radio- problem solved."

Great but not perfect

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "Good acceleration"

Cons: "Poor service"

"The car performs and accelerates well. However I am 5'4", and have to raise the seat. This partially blocks the rear view, The vehicle has a FM radio reception problem. It has been in service three times, but the problem is not fixed. The Tesla forums are full of such reports.It is a shame that Tesla cannot fix this problem. The Tesla service blames the radio stations and poor placement of FM towers!"

Best car ever, faster than my Porsche 911 60-80mph

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Pros: "Great fun to drive, great value, beautiful looks!"

Cons: "Had to pay $1100 to get a 240V outlet"

"I waited for 11 months to get a Model S (60kWh); but it certainly is worth the wait! Talk about the great performance, looks, technology, and guilt-free driving experience since it produces zero emission. I have driven it 2500 miles and I have just thoroughly enjoyed it. I did a cost of ownership estimate and came up with $0.35/mile over 7 years, which is cheaper than the Honda CR-V (cost $0.52/mile over 7 years) that it replaced! And, I get to use the HOV lane, which saves me $400/yr on express lane toll. Not having to get gas every 5-6 days has been so wonderful - I didn't even figure the amount of money (people say time is money) that I save over 7 years not getting gas. PG&E's PEV rate makes it very cheap to charge during off peak hours."

Truly AMAZING

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

"My only complaint in driving a Tesla Model S is the endless looks and sometimes crowds that it attracts! The styling and design are top rate. Acceleration is instantaneous and much more linear than an ICE vehicle. It is super quiet. The active air suspension is excellent. The interior space is well designed and roomy. I have the premium sound package and the tech package....both function flawlessly. The 17" iPad like control panel is a huge wow factor, very easy to use and intuitively designed by one of the original iPad designers. The 85kW hour battery system has a practical range of 250-265 with my driving style. Does better on the highway. This is the type of car that makes you want to take the long way home!"

There are far better cars for your money.

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

"Hey, Just got the S and and underwhelmed. for the price, you get a lot of hype and some "feel good green" points, but on the automotive front, it is lacking. The thing is heavy- and on bumpy roads around Dallas-Ft Worth, the suspension is suspect. I am already budgeting $5-10k to redo the suspension sometime. The interior space is nice (novel) and the silence during acceleration is cool. I would say that the Audi A8 or BMW 7 series are far superior cars, and you'll not have to worry about the range, the future repairs, or the company going out of business (when the government subsidies stop, when Wall Street guys dump the stock, etc.) The idea of the car is cool, but the actual car is UNDERWHELMING."

Not just a car that happens to be electric

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Cons: "range, no cup holders"

"This car was designed from the ground up to be an electric car, so if it looks anything like you're familiar with, that's a conscious design decision. They could have made it look like a sci-fi pod, and had nintendo steering. Basically, unlike all the other electric cars out there which were designed to fit into their megacorporation factory lines, or parts bin, this car was designed to be the best that it could be but yet still remain familiar. Consequently, it drives differently from a regular car. Smoother, more responsive, quieter. Basically, better in almost every way. It's so much better, it will change your view on what a car is supposed to be. I could list a hundred things, but it's much easier if I list what it's bad at. Assume that if I didn't list it, I think it's not just good, it's as good as it gets. First the faults: First, it's expensive. If you can't afford $60-100K on a car, you're out of luck. Is it worth it? Is any car worth $60-100K? That's up to the individual. Second, you really don't want to drive more than 180-240 miles (depending on the model) from home very often. The superchargers are great technology, and may work as an adequate solution much of the time in the next few years, but for now, and as a 100% effective solution, it's not really a good solution. However, most of us don't drive more than 180-240 miles in a day except a few times a year. During those times, you can take your second car if you have one, or a rental. Honestly, if you don't drive more than 180-240 miles more than six times a year, it's a minor fault. If you do, don't buy this car. However, if you don't drive more than 180-240 miles, you're in for a whole different experience. How often do you look down and notice you're at a 1/4 tank and have to schedule a gas station detour? With the Model S, if you plug in every night, you never worry about it. Unless you have a life that causes you to somehow end up hundreds of miles from home in random situations, you'll never worry about running out of gas again. You'll always be full in the morning. Finally, the interior is spartan. Not cheap looking, just "minimalist". Only 2 cupholders in the whole car. No lighted vanities. No coat hooks. No folding armrest for the back seat. The back seat is he little weak for a car of this caliber. The headroom for back seat passengers is not great. The view out the rear view mirror is a little crowded. The frunk is a little heavy and hard to close. The floor mats ride up. And, well, that's about it. Everything else about this car is about as good as it gets. The range factor for some is a dealbreaker. And if you're planning to use your car as a taxi, or you are a door-to-door salesman and cover 3 large states, look elsewhere. For almost anyone else who can afford this car, it's better in almost every way than the competition. I own a Model S 60. And I'd have to be a poet to put into words the effect this car has had on me. Not since I turned 16 have I had these kinds of feelings about driving. It's not an exaggeration to say that this car has actually changed me as a person. P.S. Environmentally, if you plug this car in at home, it's GREENER than a similar car of this size, but as long as most of the power in the country is coal and/or oil, it can't be completely environmentally friendly. If you load up with solar, you're GREEN. If a ton of these get sold and the country starts putting in greener power plants, these will be much greener, but for now, they're mostly just an improvement, not a solution."

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Cons: "range, no cup holders"

"I own a Model S 60. And I'd have to be a poet to put into words the effect this car has had on me. Not since I turned 16 have I had these kinds of feelings about driving. It's not an exaggeration to say that this car has actually changed me as a person. This car was designed from the ground up to be an electric car, so if it looks anything like you're familiar with, that's a conscious design decision. They could have made it look like a sci-fi pod, and had nintendo steering. Basically, unlike all the other electric cars out there which were designed to fit into their megacorporation factory lines, or parts bin, this car was designed to be the best that it could be but yet still remain familiar. Consequently, it drives differently from a regular car. Smoother, more responsive, quieter. Basically, better in almost every way. It's so much better, it will change your view on what a car is supposed to be. I could list a hundred things, but it's much easier if I list what it's bad at. Assume that if I didn't list it, I think it's not just good, it's as good as it gets. First the faults: First, it's expensive. If you can't afford $60-100K on a car, you're out of luck. Is it worth it? Is any car worth $60-100K? That's up to the individual. Second, you really don't want to drive more than 180-240 miles (depending on the model) from home very often. The superchargers are great technology, and may work as an adequate solution much of the time in the next few years, but for now, and as a 100% effective solution, it's not really a good solution. However, most of us don't drive more than 180-240 miles in a day except a few times a year. During those times, you can take your second car if you have one, or a rental. Honestly, if you don't drive more than 180-240 miles more than six times a year, it's a minor fault. If you do, don't buy this car. However, if you don't drive more than 180-240 miles, you're in for a whole different experience. How often do you look down and notice you're at a 1/4 tank and have to schedule a gas station detour? With the Model S, if you plug in every night, you never worry about it. Unless you have a life that causes you to somehow end up hundreds of miles from home in random situations, you'll never worry about running out of gas again. You'll always be full in the morning. Finally, the interior is spartan. Not cheap looking, just "minimalist". Only 2 cupholders in the whole car. No lighted vanities. No coat hooks. No folding armrest for the back seat. The back seat is he little weak for a car of this caliber. The headroom for back seat passengers is not great. The view out the rear view mirror is a little crowded. The frunk is a little heavy and hard to close. The floor mats ride up. And, well, that's about it. Everything else about this car is about as good as it gets. The range factor for some is a dealbreaker. And if you're planning to use your car as a taxi, or you are a door-to-door salesman and cover 3 large states, look elsewhere. For almost anyone else who can afford this car, it's better in almost every way than the competition. P.S. Environmentally, if you plug this car in at home, it's GREENER than a similar car of this size, but it's not a huge plus. If you load up with solar, you're GREEN. If a ton of these get sold and the country starts putting in greener power plants, these will be much greener, but for now, they're mostly just an improvement, not a solution."

Cons: "range, no cup holders"

"This car was designed from the ground up to be an electric car, so if it looks anything like you're familiar with, that's a conscious design decision. They could have made it look like a sci-fi pod, and had nintendo steering. Basically, unlike all the other electric cars out there which were designed to fit into their megacorporation factory lines, or parts bin, this car was designed to be the best that it could be. Consequently, it drives differently from a regular car. Smoother, more responsive, quieter. Basically, better in almost every way. It's so much better, it will change your view on what a car is supposed to be. I could list a hundred things, but it's much easier if I list what it's bad at. Assume that if I didn't list it, I think it's not just good, it's as good as it gets. First the faults. You really don't want to drive more than 180-240 miles from home (round trip) depending on the model you buy. The superchargers are great technology, and may work as a decent solution much of the time in the next few years, but for now, and as a 100% effective solution, it's not really a good solution. However, most of us don't drive more than 180-240 miles in a day except a few times a year. During those times, you can take your second car if you have one, or a rental. Honestly, if you don't drive more than 180-240 miles more than six times a year, it's a minor fault. If you do, don't buy this car. However, if you don't drive more than 180-240 miles, you're in for a whole different experience. How often do you look down and notice you're at a 1/4 tank and have to schedule a gas station detour? With the Model S, if you plug in every night, you never worry about it. Unless you have a life that causes you to somehow end up hundreds of miles from home in random situations, you'll never worry about running out of gas again. You'll always be full in the morning. Second, the interior is spartan. Only 2 cupholders in the whole car. No folding armrest for the back seat. The back seat is he little weak for a car of this caliber. The headroom for back seat passengers is not great. The view out the rear view mirror is a little crowded. And, well, that's about it. Everything else about this car is about as good as it gets. The range factor for some is a dealbreaker. And if you're planning to use your car as a taxi, or you are a door-to-door salesman and cover 3 large states, look elsewhere. For almost anyone else who can afford this car, it's better in almost every way than the competition. P.S. Environmentally, if you plug this car in at home, it's GREENER than a similar car of this size, but it's not a huge plus. If you load up with solar, you're GREEN. If a ton of these get sold and the country starts putting in greener power plants, these will be much greener, but for now, they're mostly just an improvement, not a solution."

Cons: "range, no cup holders"

Best car I have ever owned or driven

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Luxury sports car for the whole family"

Cons: "3G reception on winding mountain roads you seek"

"An all electric car that doesn't look like an electric car, is fun to drive and makes you feel good while looking great! The acceleration is breathtaking. Forget 0 to 60 on which this car will leave others in the dust. The consistent smoothness of going from 60 to 90 without any delay changes the way you will drive. No waiting for the passing gear to kick in it feels more like a modern roller coaster getting going than any car I've ever driven. Maintenance is non- existent with no gas, oil or radiator fluids to monitor, in fact the only user maintained feature is the windshield washer reservoir. The direct drive dual induction motors on the rear wheels smoothly take energy out of the 85kWh battery when pressing the accelerator and put it back in when you take your foot off. Software upgrades add new features to the car automatically overnight while charging. You will need to put a 240v 30 to 60 amp service in your garage to recharge from a days driving using power companies low time of use rate plans. It will cost you about $2 for 100 miles of charge on the PG&E EV rate schedule overnight. With gas at $4 per gallon that is equivalent to 200 mpg on a cost basis. The superchargers are very impressive recharging a car in 30 to 60 minutes for free. The low center of gravity makes the car perform very well on cornering. This car defines a new category as luxury sports car for the family. The interior is spacious and comfortable with ample seating and storage where the engine and trunk are on regular cars. Some luxury features are missing like back up alerts and vanity mirror lights but these are quickly overlooked based on the overall enjoyment of the drive. The car is entirely drive by wire with all the controls, information and entertainment provided through a central 17" flat screen tablet display built into the console. Intuitive transfer of relative data from the infotainment display to the dashboard is amazing. Turn by turn directions that include number of turning lanes and a picture of the exit sign are delightful. I bought the car because I felt that 100% electric is the way to go. I'm pleased that it performs so well and looks so cool!"

Awesome car

By on Saturday, May 04, 2013

Pros: "Efficiency, touch controls and a joy to drive"

Cons: "Too few cup holders, missing a couple features"

"I've driven lots of nice cars, from BMW's to Porsche's, and my Model S is the best car I've ever owned or driven. To be able to combine the performance of an exceptional sports car with comfort of a luxury car AND the efficiency better than any hybrid is what I find to be most remarkable. Range is the biggest compromise, but my range so far has been close to rated (200+ miles on regular charge with the 85kw battery and limited use of climate control), which is fine for me 95% of the time (will swap with my wife's car for longer trips where I don't want to worry about it). Also, love the touch screen center stack...definitely ahead of its time and it works great. The car has a feel of quality. Yes, it's missing some features (parking sensors, blind spot monitor, etc), but the sum of the car more than makes up for the lack of a couple missing options. I have also had a couple minor hiccups -- defective 3G antenna needed to be replaced and waiting on a fix to the tire pressure warning that keeps popping up, but overall, I love the car. Best advise for anyone doubting the performance or otherwise on the fence is to drive the car."

Love it!

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "Economical, fast and a blast to drive!"

Cons: "seating is stiff"

"I love this car. Have had it for only two weeks, but it has been great. Charging with the High Powered Wall Charger is easy, Nevada Power gives a special low cut rate, so it is cheap! Very quite when on the freeway, very powerful, easily overtakes traffic. I own a 12 cylinder Mercedes-Benz AMG, and the pick up on this car is just as exciting! I can't wait to try to make it to Southern CA., have already checked out the Barstow Tesla Supercharger station and have had a 240V outlet installed at our home in Huntington Beach."

MAKES ME HATE DRIVING MY OTHER GASOLINE CARS

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "Fast, Quiet, Solid, Beautiful"

"I've had my Model S for 3 months now and I've also owned 2 Hondas, 1 BMW, 2 Fords, 1 Jag, 2 Chevy's, 1 Pontiac, 2 Cadillacs, and 3 Chryslers. I was nervous when I bought a Tesla because many things about the car are revolutionary, but my Tesla Model S is BY FAR the best car I've ever owned. I have yet to get f/b from another owner that wasn't effusive. No oil changes. No smog checks. No transmission or transmission problems. I hardly ever use brakes because they're regenerative . . . so no brake jobs. There are plugs everywhere so I hardly ever charge at home. So I'm driving FOR FREE. It's extremely solid, well-built, whisper quiet and I can beat pretty much any car from a stop. The torque and acceleration will blow your mind!"

I love my tesla model S performance

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Amazing to drivel, never stopping at a gas station"

Cons: "No parking sensors and touchscreen gets filthy"

"I absolutely love my car, I admit their are a few features I miss that I had on other cars I have owned that are not included in the Tesla, but the pros do the car make up for it."

I love my Tesla S

By on Saturday, January 05, 2013

"I just got my Tesla S and I love it. It is stylish, really fast, and quiet. It has amazing torque. You just plug it in at night and drive the next day."

Most innovative vehicle in history

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Thrift, safety, comfort, style, innovation, web"

"This is the sleekest, quietest, fastest, safest, most reliable most economical vehicle I have ever driven. The ride puts my Lexus to shame. The handling is absolutely perfect. Absolutely hugs the road with low CG. Air suspension, 21"wheels, more storage room than an SUV because there is no engine, radiator, transmission, fuel tank, exhaust pipe, muffler, catalytic convertor, etc. Rated equivalent 89MPG. My 1350 miles used 450 KWh of electricity at 9.8 cents per KWh. My Lexus RX400h hybrid would go 300 miles on that same $45 worth of gasolene."

She is beautiful, She is fast , She is my baby

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

"This is the best car anybody ever own one."

Fast, fun, fuel-free

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Too many to list."

Cons: "Pricey, missing some features in similar cars"

Picture from the first day I got it.

"I have owned this car for nearly a month, and it has changed driving as I used to know it. I used to have to drive around and think about how full my tank was. I used to think about gas prices and where to get the cheaper gas. Now, I drive this incredible car with amazing performance characteristics (0-60 in ~4 seconds) and never worry about any of that. The ample ~300 range is a non-issue unlike most EV's for over 99% of my driving. I take 15 seconds to plug the car in about 1-2 times a week and have the entire week's worth of driving taken care of. The large touchscreen interface is incredibly easy to use, and updates get pushed to the car to the car improve driving performance and add features. Never had a manufacturer add features to a car after I bought it before either. To sum it up fast, fun, luxurious, comfortable, guilt-free acceleration, revolutionary. I will not go back to an ICE car."

Picture from the first day I got it.