2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Based on 139 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

\

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pros: "Very spacious, hauled a lot of furniture."

Cons: "Near the end of its life, gas effeciency was poor."

"This has been an extremely reliable vehicle. I will miss it. I never thought that I would ever find a less expensive SUV to replace my previous car which was a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. I bought it in 2000 and until recently only had minor problems. However, it is now 13 yrs old, the engine is smoking and the rear diff is going out."

Gets you where you need to go

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "Plenty of standard luxury features. Trouble free."

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better."

"I bought mine used with about 5K miles on it. Was looking for a small SUV, and this offered the most for the money. If you will be driving in snow, you definitely want the 4WD, as the combination of short wheelbase and rear wheel drive makes for a lot of fishtailing in icy conditions. Nudge the transfer case selector into 4WDhigh, and there is an amazing transformation- the truck just becomes totally sure-footed and handles in a predictable manner. In 8 years of driving, my truck needed an expensive battery cable replaced- the cost was about $600 for the cable and installation. Other than that one repair, I have changed oil and fluids regularly, and recharged the A/C once. This truck has been completely trouble free aside from the battery cable for the entire 8 years. I wish gas mileage was better, as the truck only gets about 17MPG. But this is a genuine truck with a ladder frame and 4WD, so it is heavier than most small SUV's. Grand Vitara's come pretty loaded with standard accessories. You get climate control, PW,PL, tilt wheel, cruise control, dual heated side view mirrors, and a small subwoofer under the drivers seat for the stereo all standard. There are very few vehicles that offer this much for the money."

Good Chick Car

By on Friday, April 10, 2009

"This is my 2nd Grand Vitara- I have not had ANY problems with either- Great for a working single Moms with small kids or one big one- I love that I have a car and a truck in one- If I need to carry something big- i just put the seats down- I do not need to ask to barrow a guys truck- yeepy! I went camping for a week with three adults- Very tight- but we did it! Thanks to the luggage rack and you can put one side down in back seat for longer items- I had a Range Rover in between the two- My payment was 2x more and the mileage sucked! I like having the extra money to do things. It handles great in the snow and mt. grades- Too small for guys and its too girlie-"

5 spd fun to drive. good solid suv

By on Friday, April 19, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, capable"

Cons: "burns a little oil"

"I bought this car new in Nov. 2000. A few early problems fixed under warrenty. Since then not a problem. I would buy it again."

Gas & go!

By on Monday, September 07, 2009

"Purchased my 2003 4WD with 5K miles late in 2004. Was looking for a low mileage RAV4 or CRV, but dealers wanted too much money for them. Got this almost new truck for about $9000 less than the sticker price, largely due to low consumer demand as compared to the Honda and Toyota. Turned out to be a great buying decision. This is a real truck with a ladder frame, not a more carlike unibody frame. The ladder frame offers a firmer ride, but is less prone to flexing and twisting when the going gets tougher off-road. It also has real 4WD with a transfer case,as compared to most vehicles that give you AWD. The advantage here is to select the amount of traction assist you need. I use 4WD high when traveling in snowy conditions on the road, and have the ability to select 4WD low for tough off-road challenges. If you live in an area that sees much snow, do not cheap out and get a 2WD Grand Vitara. When in 2WD, this is a rear wheel drive vehicle- again more like a truck than a car, but the short wheelbase makes it a "tail wagger" when the roads are slick. Shifting into 4WD during these conditions offers an immediate and dramatic improvement in control and handling. If you want to cut some nice doughnuts and fishtails, find an empty parking lot, select 2WD and spin to your heart's content! I have now owned this truck for about five years and it has 44K miles. It has needed no major repairs of any kind, although the AC quit working. Not in a rush to fix this, as we have had a cool summer in the Midwest, and my typical commute is pretty short- just 4 miles to work when I don't ride my bicycle. I have replaced the front brake pads once, and just purchased new tires. Nothing else in the way of maintenance besides oil changes. If you get a 4WD, change the transfer case oil every 20 to 30K miles, and it should stay bulletproof. The V6 is not a super powerful engine, but is enough to get the job done. Others are claiming about 23 mpg from their GV's, but I typically see about 18 around town. I added a trailer hitch about a year ago and sometimes pull a small utility trailer with my GV. The total weight of trailer and payload has probably not been more than 1800 lbs, and the truck has no complaints about the added workload. If you intend to tow anything heavier, get a transmission cooler installed and you will be okay for towing almost anything! Although I thought I wanted a Honda or Toyota, the experience with my GV has been all positive. I will not hesitate to buy another, but at 8K miles a year they may quit making 'em before I am ready for a new one. I would certainly recommend this truck to a friend."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Suzuki Grand Vitara near Honolulu. See local deals