1997 Suzuki Esteem

8.0

Based on 81 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

The energizer bunny of small cars

By on Monday, November 03, 2008

"I purchased this car used in 1998 with 5000 miles on it and it has been a real surprise in its reliability and pep. It now has 51000 miles on it. It is not the smoothest riding car and the air conditioner is only barely adequate, but it just keeps on going. The tires last forever. The only problem I have is a tendency for the rear end to come around in a panic stop or swerve or on ice. You really have to pay attention to this. Otherwise great pickup-and-go. I thought it would be a temporary purchase but that was ten years ago!"

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"Owned since 1998, 107000 miles, not a single problem yet, and it seems ready for another 100k."

College Car almost 30 now

By on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"I bought a Suzuki when I was a sophomore in college. It was new at the time and I had it for 10 years. It is an excellent small car, great on gas, I rarely had to repair it and mine is still running with no major problems. I drove it across the state of GA in June with no problems. It would be a great car for a teen or college student."

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "simple, reliable, fun. Wagon w/ 1.8 liter only"

Cons: "no luxuries"

"I have put my 2002 Esteem wagon through quite a lot. Racking on over 30,000 miles the first year having it, all the while loading band equipment, it has never quit on me or left me stranded. The handling and acceleration are also more than one would expect at first glance=VERY FUN DRIVE. I purchased mine used at 114,000 miles and have only replaced the alternator (DIY it isnt that hard just in a weird spot) and the wiring to my left headlamp had to be redone. Altogether ive dropped maybe $200, not including standard fluid upkeep, in the 3 years I have owned it. Everything else seems rock solid and I would not hesitate to drive any distance. Word to the wise, dont settle for any other engine option other than the 1.8 JA18. It is BY FAR the most reliable, powerful, and BETTER ENGINE."

GREAT reliable car!

By on Saturday, June 14, 2008

"This car has to be the most reliable car I have ever owned. It would be a great first car for any kid. I use it to commute to work, 120miles rould trip. Gets great gas milage. City/Highway combined it gets 32mpg. It has absolutely no bells or whistles, other than AC. But that is what keeps it going. Maintenance is very cheap. Other than oil changes it just needs to have the valves adjusted every 20,000 miles. I would HIGHLY recommend this car to someone looking for a cheap, reliable car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Suzuki Esteem near Honolulu. See local deals