2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,090 - $22,627.

10/6.9

8.4

Based on 53 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Great small SUV for the price

By on Friday, January 16, 2015

Pros: "Very good value, standard AWD and"

Cons: "Light Grey interior. A little under-powered."

"Below are a couple of slight issues. Overall the car is very comfortable to drive and handles very well. The cabin noise level is on par with or less than comparable small vehicles and the standard all wheel drive is awesome. The styling is a bit aggressive for some but I like it, especially the black alloy wheels. The base options are no frills but nice. I opted for the manual transmission model which limited my choice of options significantly. This car gets good fuel economy - though I have not been able to hit the EPA window sticker number for highway I am still pleased with the 29-30 mpg I consistently achieve during majority highway driving. It is a fun to drive car that is small enough to navigate the city with ease but capable enough for my weekend excursions. There is a fair amount of interior space for gear and passengers and the roof rack is nice for larger items. It is not a performance machine by any stretch and it could benefit from a higher output engine. The FM radio provides mediocre sound quality - I initially thought it was the speakers but CD/digital inputs sound much better than the radio and are on par with other base model sound systems. The bluetooth can occasionally take more than one attempt to connect to your device but call quality is not horrible. The voice controls are nearly useless. I absolutely love the red dash lights, they are very easy on the eyes at night, not overpowering or glare inducing but still provide very clearly illuminated gauges. I am not a fan of the light grey/tan interior color - it does not fit my outdoor lifestyle and the dirt that accompanies our adventures - some exterior colors come with a black interior but the combinations appear to be pre-selected by Subaru. The seat heaters are great. It has recently developed a slight dash rattle and will be making a visit to the dealership to have resolved but there have been no other issues. Overall if you are in need of a very utilitarian vehicle at a modest price I would not hesitate to recommend the XV. It has proven to be very capable in bad weather and on gravel/dirt backroads and it will get you there without extreme fuel bills."

Our third Subaru we chose the Crosstrek Hybrid

By on Saturday, January 10, 2015

Pros: "looks nice,comfortable"

Cons: "poor fuel mileage, engine constantly re-starts"

"My wife wanted a new car and insisted on another Subaru. She has just over 100K miles on her forester and besides the normal Subaru downfalls it has been a good car. We looked at different models and decided on the crosstrek because of its size, Not too big , not too small. The new forester is larger than the old version so that was out. Initially we wanted the Premium model Crosstrek, lowest version. The dealer that we went to showed us a crosstrek and we went for a test drive, very nice car but it was a hybrid. We talked to the dealer a put a deposit on a car so they could bring it in. When the car arrived it was very much different than the hybrid inside, cheap looking and feel of the interior. We didn't take that and opted to take the Hybrid model which is the only way to get the push button start and about a dozen other fancy items found only on the hybrid. The dealer also reminded us that the car we were choosing would get an easy 30mpg and that would offset the extra 5K the car cost over the life of it. SOLD...we'll take it. We have been driving now for almost 6 months. Don't plan on getting anywhere near 30mpg. The first tank got 27.1 mpg, the 2nd tank got 26.8, the third got 25.8. The dealer said that is "normal" and some people just don't get the advertised mileage. The 2nd downfall of the car is that the engine constantly stops at every intersection and red light, no matter what. It is very annoying to have the engine restart itself each time and sometimes it is scary when you need to pull into traffic, waiting for the car to start the engine. The car drives OK and has plenty of gadgets that you will probably never need."

Like it a lot but don't love it

By on Friday, December 12, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, tight turning radius, stout"

Cons: "Lots of little things - see review"

"Bought this car new and have owned it about 17 months now. My model is the premium trim, which is the cheaper of the 2 versions. First the pro's: - My favorite feature? The gas mileage. Subaru rates it at 25/33 MPG but I usually get 28 MPG around town and often see get 36+ MPG on very flat highways. Given that it's all-wheel drive, I consider this almost amazing. - Handling is typical for a small car, fun to drive. The turning radius is tight, it's easy to park, and the boxer engine and CVT make for very smooth pickup. - And I just like how it looks. It's a sporty little tank. Now the con's. Most of these are minor but the list kinda adds up: - I spend a lot of time in the car and it isn't very comfortable for long rides. The seats lack any lumbar support (ugh!) and feel flat and poorly padded. - The ride is choppy, which is probably typical for a small car with elevate suspension and a short wheelbase. - The car is light, which may be good for gas mileage and giving it some pickup from the measly 148 HP engine, but this also means it doesn't have a lot of traction despite having all-wheel drive. I haven't even tried it on snow or ice but have slid around on exit ramps just in light rain. It would not be a good car for a teenager to use. - The headlights seem dim to me. I have to use the foglights to see well at night, and I'm not that old. Dashboard and interior control lights are also dim. - There's nowhere to put loose change for tolls. - Granted, I have the premium package with the stock sound system, but it's the WORST "stereo" I've ever heard - it might as well be an AM transistor radio. I'm a former musician and can't stand to listen to anything in this car. And an aftermarket stereo really isn't an option because it's all an integrated unit in the dash. - The car always feels dirty to me, even after washing it and vacuuming it out. The seat fabric holds a lot of debris, and the dashboard and much of the interior is made of a rubber material that collects dust like a magnet - and you're not supposed to use anything like ArmorAll on it. I suspect it's just going to get worse with age."

One of a kind! All the extras and then some!

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Pros: "All maintenance preformed by Subaru dealer."

Packed & ready for San Diego

"You will not find one like this @ the dealership. All Mats included, summer & winter. All cargo mats inside also seatback mats. Cargo Basket with w/waterproof cargo bag.Top Rack 1-1/4" receiver hitch with flat 4 harness Receiver hitch cargo basket 20"x60" with waterproof cargo bag. Clear Bra since day 1. No chips"

Packed & ready for San Diego

This vehicle does it all!

By on Saturday, November 15, 2014

Pros: "Winter Handling (AWD), Excellent MPG, Comfortable"

Cons: "none at this time"

"To be honest, I'm not very familiar with Subaru and was not originally interested in the XV-Crosstrek. However, after taking it out for a test drive, I felt safe and knew the car could handle anything. I was sold! Last year in Portland, we experienced a fairly decent winter storm. Having lived in California, I was not familiar with winter driving at all. However, the XV-Crosstrek handle the same in Winter as it did in the summer. No slipping even when ICE coated the snow. I drove up hills where other cars were literally going backwards. Other cars would pull over put chains on, but not me. Using stock tires and all, this car handled winter with no problem. That being said, I mainly drive highways to work and I probably average a little over 30 miles per gallon. Even though the interior may not come off as luxurious as competitors it is durable and great for any adventures or commutes you could send its way. All-in-all, after a year, I couldn't imagine a more perfect car for the handling and price. 10/10, 5 stars, and two thumbs up."