2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,550 - $22,061.

10/6.9

8.3

Based on 75 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Hit a home run!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

"This is the 4th Suby I have owned. It is right up there with the others. Better looks than some previous models I have had. Works great in the snow, as did all my Suby's. If you cant go in the snow with one of these, then take a driving lesson on how to drive in snow. Solid little unit!"

Great small SUV for the price

By on Friday, January 16, 2015

Pros: "Very good value, standard AWD and"

Cons: "Light Grey interior. A little under-powered."

"Below are a couple of slight issues. Overall the car is very comfortable to drive and handles very well. The cabin noise level is on par with or less than comparable small vehicles and the standard all wheel drive is awesome. The styling is a bit aggressive for some but I like it, especially the black alloy wheels. The base options are no frills but nice. I opted for the manual transmission model which limited my choice of options significantly. This car gets good fuel economy - though I have not been able to hit the EPA window sticker number for highway I am still pleased with the 29-30 mpg I consistently achieve during majority highway driving. It is a fun to drive car that is small enough to navigate the city with ease but capable enough for my weekend excursions. There is a fair amount of interior space for gear and passengers and the roof rack is nice for larger items. It is not a performance machine by any stretch and it could benefit from a higher output engine. The FM radio provides mediocre sound quality - I initially thought it was the speakers but CD/digital inputs sound much better than the radio and are on par with other base model sound systems. The bluetooth can occasionally take more than one attempt to connect to your device but call quality is not horrible. The voice controls are nearly useless. I absolutely love the red dash lights, they are very easy on the eyes at night, not overpowering or glare inducing but still provide very clearly illuminated gauges. I am not a fan of the light grey/tan interior color - it does not fit my outdoor lifestyle and the dirt that accompanies our adventures - some exterior colors come with a black interior but the combinations appear to be pre-selected by Subaru. The seat heaters are great. It has recently developed a slight dash rattle and will be making a visit to the dealership to have resolved but there have been no other issues. Overall if you are in need of a very utilitarian vehicle at a modest price I would not hesitate to recommend the XV. It has proven to be very capable in bad weather and on gravel/dirt backroads and it will get you there without extreme fuel bills."

Best commuter vehicle I've had!

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Pros: "Comfort, MPG, handling, price"

Cons: "CVT in stop & go traffic"

"Dear fellow drivers, after researching the Crosstrek for months, I saw it as appropriate to leave you with my 2 cents on the 2015 Crosstrek premium. I've read countless reviews describing this car as slow, sluggish or noisy. Neither could be further from the truth! I would say I've owned and driven more "high-end" cars than most people as my family has had everything from Ferraris to AMGs and BMW Ms, so I am used to vehicles with serious power. Again, there is nothing slow about the Crosstrek, and the CVT does a phenomenal job of finding torque at any speed or rpm! The noise is also nothing to complain about, where the engine makes noise comparable to any 4 cylinder engine, but due to the CVT you don't run through the RPMs like most cars, which leads me to claim that the Crosstrek actually has less noise than most cars. If there is anything I can complain on, it would be the extreme sensitivity of the CVT in very slow stop and go traffic. The car acts on par with a mid-2000s BMW M6 or Ferrari, where the transmission fully disengages when off the throttle, and then abruptly engages when throttle is applied. Not a big issue, but it takes a sensitive foot and some getting used to. Fit and finish is great, and the comfort of the suspension is amazing with the extended travel over a regular Impreza. Not trying to come off as a Subaru expert, this is my first one, but when compared to much higher-end cars it holds up very well at a fraction of the price. As far as MPG goes I'm averaging 31 on the flat highways of Florida (400 miles, so not broken in yet)."

best buy for crossovers

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

"comfortable and good on gas. doesnt have all the bells and whistles but if yoiu need good gas and all weather vehicle this is a great one. i have lil to no road noise, and the stereo is amazing with the standered radio instead of the navi."

Great Auto, a bit small

By on Thursday, July 23, 2015

Pros: "Awesome car handles very well good mpg comfortable"

Cons: "Sun glare off dash makes reading gauges difficult"

"The Cross Trek is a fantastic vehicle. We are trading it in for a new Outback for two reasons: 1st the rear cargo area is too small for our needs. The steep fifth door cuts well into the usable space for hauling anything, especially hard sided coolers, while traveling. 2nd the dashboard displays are virtually unreadable except at night. The readouts are gray on black and font size is entirely too small. The sun's glare over the front dashboard renders all digital displays and the tach and speedometer unreadable. I contacted Subaru of America about the poor dashboard design. Never received a response. The cargo issue is on us. We hesitated a full year before we purchased the CrossTrek XV because of this. OK, we should have bot the Outback two years ago. The dashboard is on Subaru. Very poor design. Go for the colored readout available on some models. You will be glad you did. Overall, we rated the Cross Trek a 9 out of 10. It is that good. Just make sure it meets your needs."