2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,500 - $22,053.

10/6.9

8.3

Based on 72 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Not the best Subaru

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Price, Looks and Economy"

Cons: "Traction, Heat and Defroster System"

"Not fully satisfied with the vehicle, fuel economy is very good and close to sticker rating. The problems for me are the defroster system does not flow fully on the lower windshield, the floor het is lacking and the traction in snow and ice is very jerky. The vehicle is either slow to respond or over compensating for the slippery conditions but it is not smooth. The worst winter road AWD vehicle I have ever driven. I prefer my 2005 VW Passat wagon over this in bad roads. The interior comforts are a little inconvenient, the cup holders could be moved a few inches forward and the heated seat switches should be relocated to the dash panel. The vehicle is comfortable overall for long trips and is easy to maintain."

Gas friendly AWD Adventure machine

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Very nice quality and feel, great gas mileage"

Cons: "no temp gauge, noisy motor when cold"

"This is a reliable well built AWD vehicle. Seems to be getting about 27.5 mpg around town with brief trips on the freeway, But after a 200 mile hwy trip, I averaged 35.7mpg. My overall MPG since owning the vehicle is 30.3mpg. I have the CVT and navigation, leather, moonroof. The bluetooth for the phone requires you to turn the volume up all the way to hear clear enough. The CVT automatic is slow to shift at cold temperatures resulting in high rpms and a roar from the motor. I find that it goes away once the engine is warmed up. The only gripe I have for this car is that it doesn't have a temperature gauge. So I may install one myself. Since that is superficial, I highly recommend this car to any and all. You never have to install chains, and with the ground clearance, I was able to change the oil myself."

Nice Little SUVish Car

By on Tuesday, June 09, 2015

"Purchased this vehicle to replace an aging 4Runner. We needed a smaller, reliable vehicle that would fit in our new much smaller garage. After looking at many options, we chose a Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT with Eyesight. This also meant we got adaptive cruise control and the upgraded 7-inch infotainment system. Plus, the dealer installed after-market leather seats for free. Acceleration is not as bad as reviews would have led me to believe, but it certainly could be better. I wish Subaru would offer either a turbo or the same motor they have in the Forester, but i'm content with the little boxer they have in it. And I'm very happy with the gas mileage. I almost skipped testing the Crosstrek because reviews had been so negative about acceleration. I'm glad we gave it a shot. An odd thing is that no model comes with power seats. I wish Subaru would add power seats with better lumbar and thigh support. However, those two things (engine power and lack of power seats) are relatively minor gripes. The Crosstrek is fun to drive, looks great, and is pretty versatile. On top of that, it has better interior size than many larger vehicles. Our nearly 6'6" son has more room for his head, legs, and knees than even in my old 4Runner. And, of course, we wanted to be able to go anywhere. We did a lot of ski and camping trip with the 4Runner. The Crosstrek will handle anything we throw at it - and still get about double the gas mileage. Tow capacity is relatively weak, at only 1500 pounds. That's enough to pull a small trailer or a jet ski, but not much else. This is really the biggest trade-off from my 4Runner, which could tow 6000 pounds. The 7-inch infotainment system works well. Bluetooth was easy to set up (in fact, the dealer did it for my phone, then I added other phones from the family). I love the adaptive cruise control on trips. And it's nice that Subaru puts a backup camera on all Crosstrek models. Subaru's AWD is legendary and played a role in our decision to buy a Crosstrek. This is the little car that could, and we are very pleased with it thus far."

Great particle package, very stable!

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "reliable, durable, all wheel drive, body style"

Cons: "road noise,"

"I use this as my primary car, on long trips (upwards of 5hrs of driving), in town, to and from work, to and from the ski area, in the muddy mountains, etc... This car is very versatile, does great manuvering around town, around boulders and cursing down the freeway. It gets great fuel milage on the freeway (sometimes 35mpg). The all wheel drive, on any Subaru, is superior to any other I've experienced. You can really feel the car grip weather its going around wet corners, or up snowy slopes! The included bluetooth and USB charging port is very nice, my wife loves the heated seats! The headed wiper/washer fluid and side mirrors are also really nice. Only downside so far is the road noise, while not horrible it is louder than most. Over all a very durable car that I'm not afraid to rough up a bit, with some nice tech like bluetooth and heated seats."

Great Choice - I couldn't be happier!

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pros: "Style, Gas Mileage, Comfort, Utility"

Cons: "Power, CVT whine, No tailgate release in cabin!"

"I have had my car for a couple of months now and still love getting into it every day! I wish it had a bit more power and that it had a conventional automatic transmission instead of the CVT, but the tradeoff is the great gas mileage, so I can live with these minor shortcomings as I drive past gas stations! I have a bad back, and the seats are extremely comfortable and my Crosstrek handles the badly potholed streets of Dallas incredibly well!"