• 2014 Compact SUVs

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,425 - $21,932.

10/6.9

Based on 36 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Great AWD SUV

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Engine, AWD, CVT, price, fun to drive."

Cons: "Not the best in comfort, stiff suspension."

"I owned Toyota RAV4 before Crosstrek. Crosstrek has better engine and transmission. Acceleration is good on all speeds up to 80 mhr (didn't try faster :) CVT transmission is way better then other automatic transmissions and it is not noisy as on another makes. It delivers power smoothly. On highway I usually get 34-35 mpg and average 30. Boxter engine is smooth, elastic, powerful, it is a masterpiece. It easily keeps 5000+ in mountains for minutes. On the same slopes my 3.0 liter Camry was overheated several times and could not keep the same speed up to slope. Car is understeered and it took several hundred miles to get use it, I always owned Toyotas which are all oversteered, that's why. Now I enjoy the steering, it is goood. You just have to get to use it. Suspension is sporty, a little bit harsh in town. But it rides much better that RAV4 on gravel roads. It feels a real AWD car. On wet road it is also much-much better than RAV4. I worked in Michigan this winter and have ride Crosstrek on snow and ice. It was comfortable (but winter tires are mandatory to get safe ride). Dashboard buttons and knobs are accessible in gloves. Space is enough for two campers. It is ideal car for skiers and campers. Summary: I love the car. It is the best small SUV on market. And I got AWD and CVT for free. For all competitors I would pay big extra and got much worse car. Crosstrek is a real all-road car and it is a great city car. Car has a character, it looks aggressive and young."

Cons: "Moonroof should be standard"

"Being a Subaru lover, I previously owned a 2011 STI, which I traded for the 2013 Crosstrek XV. The reason for the trade was that I didn't use the STI to its fullest and I needed a car with lower payments. The Crosstrek XV is based from the same platform as the WRX/STI's. It's a more comfortable ride and the inside noise is substantially less than with the other models. There is plenty of room, even for a large dog. If you're an outdoors person, you'll enjoy the the Crosstrek XV with it's all wheel drive and high ground clearance. Also, if you want a dependable grocery getter, this car would be a great choice. I had the CVT engine which got great gas mileage. I was averaging around 35 mpgs on the highway. I just recently traded my Crosstrek in for BRZ because I wanted to get back into a sportier car, but with out the high price tag. That review I will post in a couple of months after owning."

good car/suv

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "good in gas great handling in all conditions"

Cons: "slow acceleration & needs more back seat leg roo"

"very nice style, good in gas, handles great, a bit slow at take off and needs a couple of more inches of back seat leg room."

A very solid car not fancy but extremely competent

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "AWD, Gas Mileage, Ground Clearance"

Cons: "No real cons, not much off MSRP is about it"

"You can never get a very good deal on a Subaru but they hold their value. This is my 3rd Subaru and I've always been amazed at the resale value. I get about 26 mpg in town (Pittsburgh hills) and about 35 mpg on the highway (65 mph with the cruise control on). It sounds shallow but I really like the way the car looks and something about it feels right. I have a lot of the available options (rear seat protectors, moonroof, etc.). It's a great car."

Most complimented vehicle we have ever owned

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "MPG, handling, comfort of ride and interior"

Cons: "Room in the cargo area"

"This is the first Subaru we have owned. Thus far it has been consistent with the MPG from the sticker. overall 30 MPG has been the overall average. Good for a AWD. There have been some complaints about the AWD, I suspect it's the traction control that cause it to be jerky, all you need to do is disable this and it will cause the vehicle to act similar to a 4x4 and stop the jerking. You only want to do this when the car begins to lose traction then re-engage for stability. I found this out coming up my driveway. Resolved the issue completely. Car handles nicely and as stated it's not a WRX but it has done very well in the snow this winter in Northern Ohio. This also has been the most complimented vehicle we have ever owned. Subaru builds a solid vehicle and from the friends we have with one they have almost 200k with little or no issues on two vehicles. There could have been a bit more room in the rear but otherwise we would own another Subaru."

Great car for driving in the snow and around town!

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

"Its a great car for water driving with snow on the roads. It has averaged 31.3 MPG so far and the car has 9450 miles. Lots of highway miles driving over the Sierra Mountains with no problems at all. The heated mirrors, wipers, and seats are awesome! Its not a speed demon but it also is not a WRX!! Overall a great little hipster car to cruise around in and get from point a to point b with no problems!"

Hit a home run!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

"This is the 4th Suby I have owned. It is right up there with the others. Better looks than some previous models I have had. Works great in the snow, as did all my Suby's. If you cant go in the snow with one of these, then take a driving lesson on how to drive in snow. Solid little unit!"

Not the best Subaru

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Price, Looks and Economy"

Cons: "Traction, Heat and Defroster System"

"Not fully satisfied with the vehicle, fuel economy is very good and close to sticker rating. The problems for me are the defroster system does not flow fully on the lower windshield, the floor het is lacking and the traction in snow and ice is very jerky. The vehicle is either slow to respond or over compensating for the slippery conditions but it is not smooth. The worst winter road AWD vehicle I have ever driven. I prefer my 2005 VW Passat wagon over this in bad roads. The interior comforts are a little inconvenient, the cup holders could be moved a few inches forward and the heated seat switches should be relocated to the dash panel. The vehicle is comfortable overall for long trips and is easy to maintain."

Over rated

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "AWD, interior room."

Cons: "poor mpg, cost of owning"

"First off this vehicle only gets around 18 city and 26 highway. Nowhere near the 25/33 mpg advertised. I drive very conservatively to begin with. And with this car I started doing things like not idling the engine to warm it up. And turning off car at red lights. Car also had a hard time starting a few times having to crank it 3 or more times. This occurred in different temps also. Dealer says mileage is normal and can't find any reason it has a hard time starting. The bad thing is that if it gets 6mpg less than what it should. I'm going to be paying another 3k to 4k in gas the first 100k miles I drive it. A cost I wasn't expecting."

Gas friendly AWD Adventure machine

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Very nice quality and feel, great gas mileage"

Cons: "no temp gauge, noisy motor when cold"

"This is a reliable well built AWD vehicle. Seems to be getting about 27.5 mpg around town with brief trips on the freeway, But after a 200 mile hwy trip, I averaged 35.7mpg. My overall MPG since owning the vehicle is 30.3mpg. I have the CVT and navigation, leather, moonroof. The bluetooth for the phone requires you to turn the volume up all the way to hear clear enough. The CVT automatic is slow to shift at cold temperatures resulting in high rpms and a roar from the motor. I find that it goes away once the engine is warmed up. The only gripe I have for this car is that it doesn't have a temperature gauge. So I may install one myself. Since that is superficial, I highly recommend this car to any and all. You never have to install chains, and with the ground clearance, I was able to change the oil myself."

I absolutely love my Subaru Crosstrek!

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "Great value, fun to drive"

Cons: "Haven't found any"

"I got the Limited model, with all the bells and whistles (navigation, moon roof, leather, remote start) and I have not regretted my purchase. I can comfortably take friends on long drives, but also easily fold down the back seats to throw the dogs in the back. Much quieter than my previous cars (Saturn, Honda). I was very impressed with details like the sound system and seat heaters. Between 55-65 mph, I get mid-30s mpg. In town, I get low 20s, closer to 20 if do a lot of sitting at stop-lights. This is also my first car without studded snow tires and I haven't had any sliding issues or scares! As a 20-something looking to buy my first new car, I believe I absolutely made the right choice and I get complimented on my car all the time!"

Sporty, Fun, great handling, love at first sight

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, hugs road like a car"

Cons: "Stereo Speakers not as good as my '05 Honda Accord"

"I recently purchased the Crosstrek and I am very happy with it. I downsized from a Ford Explorer to a compact SUV mainly because of the gas mileage and I needed a truck-like auto that handles city driving well and fits into tight parking spots. The cargo room is good too, maybe not as big as the Mazda X5 or Subaru Forester but it is enough for my small family. I absolutely LOVE the Crosstrek. It drives like a car, I guess due to the all wheel drive and 17 inch wheels. It drives well over Texas dirt roads. I read that critics think there could be more horsepower, but how fast does one need to go in bumper to bumper traffic? One thing I learned from owning a large truck and small foreign car is: More power=Less Gas Mileage; Less Power=More Gas Mileage, you decide what is most important for you."

Great particle package, very stable!

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "reliable, durable, all wheel drive, body style"

Cons: "road noise,"

"I use this as my primary car, on long trips (upwards of 5hrs of driving), in town, to and from work, to and from the ski area, in the muddy mountains, etc... This car is very versatile, does great manuvering around town, around boulders and cursing down the freeway. It gets great fuel milage on the freeway (sometimes 35mpg). The all wheel drive, on any Subaru, is superior to any other I've experienced. You can really feel the car grip weather its going around wet corners, or up snowy slopes! The included bluetooth and USB charging port is very nice, my wife loves the heated seats! The headed wiper/washer fluid and side mirrors are also really nice. Only downside so far is the road noise, while not horrible it is louder than most. Over all a very durable car that I'm not afraid to rough up a bit, with some nice tech like bluetooth and heated seats."

Great -car, ground clearance,mpg, simplicity, look

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "price, mpg, fun"

Cons: "none yet"

practice setup prior to camping- Subaru Crosstrek with the suv tent installed

"I have owned this car for 9 months now. I haven't found one complaint yet. At time of writing this review, we are in the middle of a winter nightmare of 9 plus inches of snow and extremely cold temperatures. Handled great in all conditions. I really like the wiper heaters built into the windshield defrost mode. As for life style perks with car, I purchased cross rails and bike holders at time of car purchase, which works great. Also bought and camped with an SUV car tent that attaches to car. Ah, comfort and fun. The fold down back seats along with the dealer supplied seat back protectors works great for my dog's comfort in back. Over all I am satisfied. If there has to be one negative, I have the sun roof option. When opened and cross rails installed, there is a lot of wind noise from the two combined."

practice setup prior to camping- Subaru Crosstrek with the suv tent installed

Disappointing

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Unique looks. Really feels safe on the road."

Cons: "MPG grossly overstated. Awful NAV / sound system."

"Sticker MPG was 25 city / 33 highway. I have never cracked 30 mpg with 100% city driving. The AWD and MPG were big factors due to my driving 25,000 miles per year and a monthly trip through the Cascades. City and combined MPG continue to go down as the miles go on--now averaging about 21 city, 28 highway and 25 combined MPG (Computer overstates by 1-2 mpg). I noted that 2014 sticker has MPG greatly reduced. The road noise is deafening. Worst radio/NAV I have ever had and that includes my 1986 Olds Cutlass Calais. Poor heater function. The good: lots of folks comment on the look and the wheels. Really handles well and steady on the road thanks to the symmetrical AWD system and low center of gravity with boxer engine."

Love this vehicle, Great Value, Great Gas Mileage

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, overall design."

Cons: "Cup holders, not the fastest."

"I bought this vehicle about a year ago for my wife, she completely loves it and so do I, completely loaded and very reasonable. The other day we drove on a 130 mile round trip mostly hwy, averaged 48 MPG according to the onboard computer."

So far so good!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

"Loving everything about it. Great gas mileage, tons of cargo space, feels safe, quiet and fun to drive."

Love this car

By on Monday, December 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, stable, dependable"

"Have driven this car on the highway. It handles beautifully. It holds the ground well in high winds and while passing large trucks. It's comfortable. It's logical. It's lovely."

Great small suv at a fair price.

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Great price and gas mileage"

Cons: "cup holders are too deep for small cups."

"Gas mileage has been right on with the window sticker. Good ride, and like the way you are treated by Subaru. The only downside is the Bluetooth, having trouble programming it, as it can't seem to understand what you are saying."

Love the Cross Trek

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "handling, suspension, mileage, awd and styling"

Cons: "none at the moment"

"This car has great handling and suspension which reminds me of an Audi I used to own. This is my favorite car, small footprint but very spacious and comfortable inside. The perfect car for city living and weekend excursions. I bought this car because i wanted something with good gas mileage, capable of taking me anywhere i would want to go e.g. to the snow or pretty much anywhere, I also wanted a car that had some functional space for passengers and moving things, last I wanted it to look good and have all wheel drive for around $24k. Very happy with my Limited 2.0i ."

Love this Vehicle!

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles well, great value"

Cons: "Some road noise on highway, no-tilt seats"

About to drive the new vehicle off the lot!

"I totally love this vehicle. Had an older Focus X5 and looked at the new Focus, Mazda CV5, RAV4, CRV. Checked out Subaru to humor my husband who had read a great review on the new Crosstrek model. From the moment I sat in the vehicle, I knew this was the one. Able to get upscaled leather seats, fully loaded with other options at a very reasonable price. Time will tell, but it seems very solid after the first 3 months of ownership. MPG is very nice. No blind spots, excellent handling an wet roads. Would give 9.5 if I could; it's approaching a 10."

About to drive the new vehicle off the lot!

First Subaru and I can't complain.

By on Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pros: "AWD, Fuel mileage, reliable"

Cons: "I'd probably have more rugged tires."

"Even though several reviews mentioned it lacking power, it seems to have plenty for me. It isn't near as peppy as the GTI I drive, but for AWD and a smaller engine, it scoots around just fine. Its simple design, and comfortable to drive. Even my parents, who love driving their trucks, enjoyed driving this car. Not too many times can you find an AWD car, that can hit 33mpg, and you can take off road."

Fun size little car with mpg's

By on Monday, June 10, 2013

Pros: "style, ride, AWD, mpgs - and fun!"

Cons: "electric steering takes getting used to..."

"We wanted this car since it debuted at the auto show. we have been completely happy with it, and have had it for several months. this car does lack some storage space, but it is not to bad. It feels bigger inside than it looks, and seats 4 adults easily and not cramped. gets 28'ish mpg in town, and north of 30 highway. The worst I can make it average is 25mpg in traffic doing 10 mph. Most of all- I don't find it to be underpowered. The Subaru boxer 4 cylinders have always been peppy. It's no WRX but it is also an automatic that gets 30 or so mpg..."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25