2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,502 - $22,055.

10/6.9

8.3

Based on 71 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

CVT Takes some getting used to, but I love it

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

"I'm only a couple of weeks in and I do love it. Can't wait to take it off road or drive in the snow when the time comes. The car is squatty, and I love that. The CVT is new to me and I don't punch it or push it, but maybe that's it... I'm still getting used to it and I'm being too careful with it because the engine does rev pretty high during normal acceleration getting on the freeway. That's the only thing. I feel if it had another 15-20 horses, it would a pretty big difference. I read about the Hybrid version for next year which will give it a 15 horsepower push which may be just what it needs to improve the driving experience. I know I may be nitpicky, but that's how I feel. I'm pretty sure once I get to take it off road or drive in the snow, I will forget all about my engine critique. This is my first Subaru and I feel so good in it. The drive is solid and comfy."

Fun size little car with mpg's

By on Monday, June 10, 2013

Pros: "style, ride, AWD, mpgs - and fun!"

Cons: "electric steering takes getting used to..."

"We wanted this car since it debuted at the auto show. we have been completely happy with it, and have had it for several months. this car does lack some storage space, but it is not to bad. It feels bigger inside than it looks, and seats 4 adults easily and not cramped. gets 28'ish mpg in town, and north of 30 highway. The worst I can make it average is 25mpg in traffic doing 10 mph. Most of all- I don't find it to be underpowered. The Subaru boxer 4 cylinders have always been peppy. It's no WRX but it is also an automatic that gets 30 or so mpg..."

Most complimented vehicle we have ever owned

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "MPG, handling, comfort of ride and interior"

Cons: "Room in the cargo area"

"This is the first Subaru we have owned. Thus far it has been consistent with the MPG from the sticker. overall 30 MPG has been the overall average. Good for a AWD. There have been some complaints about the AWD, I suspect it's the traction control that cause it to be jerky, all you need to do is disable this and it will cause the vehicle to act similar to a 4x4 and stop the jerking. You only want to do this when the car begins to lose traction then re-engage for stability. I found this out coming up my driveway. Resolved the issue completely. Car handles nicely and as stated it's not a WRX but it has done very well in the snow this winter in Northern Ohio. This also has been the most complimented vehicle we have ever owned. Subaru builds a solid vehicle and from the friends we have with one they have almost 200k with little or no issues on two vehicles. There could have been a bit more room in the rear but otherwise we would own another Subaru."

So far so good!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

"Loving everything about it. Great gas mileage, tons of cargo space, feels safe, quiet and fun to drive."

So far, I love it!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

"Granted, I have not have the experience of driving this lovely new Subaru in heavy snow conditions yet. But In heavy rain, light snow (a few inches on the roads) intense gusting wind, winter ice, highway, mountain and city driving– it's fantastic. It feels stable and solid, yet fleet and maneuverable (that is a winning combination for me.) The mileage I'm getting is terrific. On a long highway trip I averaged 31-32, mixed with a lot of stop and go city driving I'm averaging 26. The MPG estimator on the dash helped me feel the car out for it's specific performance quirks and my MPG has improved as a result. The primary negative review I read before purchasing was regarding a weaker engine. I do not find this to be the case. Of course I traded in my Honda Fit when I bought it which was no powerhouse, and I don't hall a trailer full of horses up muddy inclines regularly, but I do drive a lot and through all kind of conditions and terrains and the engine has been doing just fine. The inside is comfortable and well designed. Clean and simple, which appeals to me. Not a massive cargo area, but again if that's what you're looking for go for a regular full sized SUV. If you're idea of a perfect car is a small SUV/rugged hatchback that is all terrain capable, cool looking, reliable, fuel-efficient, comfortable, etc etc etc.... This is probably the best option on the market. My only negative is that I paid top dollar since I bought it when it was first released, no negotiating at the dealership. Though considering the leather seats, review camera, all-weather package, and everything else standard in a Subaru- top dollar still wasn't that high!"

Overall high marks!

By on Sunday, December 09, 2012

Pros: "Great look, fun to drive, great Bluetooth"

Cons: "Stiff ride, engine noise a little high at times"

Brand new in the driveway! She says, Don't mess with me!

"I have owned my Crosstrek for three weeks and driven it about 1,500 miles. I like it a lot. It is zippy off the start, has a solid road feel, handles corners well, and can provide enough power when needed, if you know how to use the pedal. The CVT transmission works best when you avoid holding the pedal down, but instead punch it about a quarter down, ease up, and then steadily and gradually press down again. EASILY enough power to pass, go uphill, etc. And use the paddle shifter to downshift when braking. It gives great assist and saves on the brake pads. The review that cited the inability of the Crosstrek to climb a step, heavy snow hill is worrisome, if you regularly need to go up a steep, heavy snow hill! That's probably gonna be about .01 percent or less of owners. I will need it to get up a long, snowy driveway with a slight hill at the end, and expect it to do well, as my previous Subarus have done. The possible difference with a steep hill might have something to do with the weight of the vehicle. It is considerably lighter than an Outback. All-in-all, a great car so far!"

Brand new in the driveway! She says, Don't mess with me!

Very Well Built

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

"Subaru built a great vehicle, solid and very well built. The true, symmetrical all wheel drive means It holds the road extremely well, even with all season tires. There really isn't a better vehicle for winter. The boxer engine means it has a very low center of gravity, translating to better driving dynamics. This car has a great suspension, you don't feel much of anything (bumps, potholes, dirt road), and it is very durable. The combination of this great suspension and high ground clearance makes this car a good off-roader. If you get a trailer hitch, this car is good for occasional, light towing. This is an extremely safe vehicle (5 stars almost all the way around). The build quality is some of the best i've ever seen. There are soft-touch materials everywhere, very high quality parts, and attention to engineering. Gas mileage is alright for a car that is heavy and has all wheel drive, I am getting not quite advertised (average 25 winter/30 summer) but it is still good. I have a couple complaints about this car. The engine is not quite adequate, 0-60 is about 11 seconds, which I would almost call unsafe for merging. I really don't care for either of the transmission options (have driven both). The 5-speed manual is poorly ratioed, just doesn't feel right, the clutch is not smooth , it reminds you that the car is underpowered, and you sacrifice some gas mileage. I actually prefer the CVT, even as a manual transmission enthusiast. While there is nothing wrong with the CVT, it is incredibly boring to drive and has some noise. If you want a bigger engine, better manual transmission, more versatility, and more space all for the exact same price, look at Subaru's own Forester, that's why I only give the value a five out of ten, despite the good resale. This car is very versatile and is good in many, many applications, it is extremely solid and well built, Subaru has an incredible reputation. If you want a solid, unique car in a class of its own, this car should be high on your list"

Love the Cross Trek

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "handling, suspension, mileage, awd and styling"

Cons: "none at the moment"

"This car has great handling and suspension which reminds me of an Audi I used to own. This is my favorite car, small footprint but very spacious and comfortable inside. The perfect car for city living and weekend excursions. I bought this car because i wanted something with good gas mileage, capable of taking me anywhere i would want to go e.g. to the snow or pretty much anywhere, I also wanted a car that had some functional space for passengers and moving things, last I wanted it to look good and have all wheel drive for around $24k. Very happy with my Limited 2.0i ."

Great AWD SUV

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Engine, AWD, CVT, price, fun to drive."

Cons: "Not the best in comfort, stiff suspension."

"I owned Toyota RAV4 before Crosstrek. Crosstrek has better engine and transmission. Acceleration is good on all speeds up to 80 mhr (didn't try faster :) CVT transmission is way better then other automatic transmissions and it is not noisy as on another makes. It delivers power smoothly. On highway I usually get 34-35 mpg and average 30. Boxter engine is smooth, elastic, powerful, it is a masterpiece. It easily keeps 5000+ in mountains for minutes. On the same slopes my 3.0 liter Camry was overheated several times and could not keep the same speed up to slope. Car is understeered and it took several hundred miles to get use it, I always owned Toyotas which are all oversteered, that's why. Now I enjoy the steering, it is goood. You just have to get to use it. Suspension is sporty, a little bit harsh in town. But it rides much better that RAV4 on gravel roads. It feels a real AWD car. On wet road it is also much-much better than RAV4. I worked in Michigan this winter and have ride Crosstrek on snow and ice. It was comfortable (but winter tires are mandatory to get safe ride). Dashboard buttons and knobs are accessible in gloves. Space is enough for two campers. It is ideal car for skiers and campers. Summary: I love the car. It is the best small SUV on market. And I got AWD and CVT for free. For all competitors I would pay big extra and got much worse car. Crosstrek is a real all-road car and it is a great city car. Car has a character, it looks aggressive and young."

Great Car Great Value - My 3rd Subaru

By on Sunday, May 05, 2013

Pros: "Great for short and tall people 28-34 true avg MPG"

Cons: "lack of rear storage compartments"

"My previous 2 cars were outback, LL Bean edition’s. This car is less plush, noisier and bumpier than my previous Outback’s. However, I paid $13k less and I went from 21 mpg to 28 mpg on avg. It’s a solid car and performs well. I don’t have a lead foot but with two guys, bikes, and other gear, going up into the mountains is no problem. It’s got enough scoot to make me happy and the overall ride quality is good. I wanted to downsize my vehicle, or what I call right size, and this is the perfectly sized car. I am turning over a new leaf in life and am going for more of a minimalist lifestyle where less is best. Its saves me a ton of money and can go on further biking destinations on a fraction of the cost. I have everything I want in a car, reliability, good performance, high MPG, maneuverability, and AWD for the snow and forest service roads. I love it! PS, the factory trailer hitch is expensive and well worth it for rear bike racks. It’s inside the bumper so you can’t see it and it physically replaces the bumper supports. So much better engineered than aftermarket. Also great for short people. I recommend it!"