1996 Subaru SVX

9.7

Based on 49 Ratings for the 1992 - 1997 models.

9.8/10
    9.7/10
    9.9/10
    9.7/10
    9.8/10

Kellly Blue book values way too low for This

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Quality manufactured! Styling, performance"

Cons: "Top end power mild"

"This is an awesome car for the year range of what was available from early 90s cars. It corners as well as any Corvette I had from those years, smoother running motor than most luxury cars I have had and accelerates nice. The only thing I can ever find wrong with this car and I mean the only thing is it does not have the power at top speed that I would like but has a ride at 130 miles per hour that is smooth!"

Best car I ever owned

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "A blast to drive head turner"

"Best car ever I will never sell or trade nothing is worth it"

People who see my car stop me and ask to buy it.

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "Great performance."

Cons: "Manufacturer stopped making this model."

"This is the best car that I have ever owned."

Fun car, expensive to maintain

By on Monday, February 11, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, fast, looks good"

Cons: "premium fuel, expensive an hard to maintain"

"Its comfortable, sleek, fast, and fun to drive. As an added bonus there are few of them on the road, so it gets looks from time to time. The window-with-a-window design is cool looking at first but gets annoying after while. It started having problems at around 230,000 miles. Hard to find a mechanic who knows how to work on them, the mechanics at my local Subaru dealership even said they call it the "Subaru mistake". Also hard to work on yourself, you almost have to pull the motor just to get to the spark plugs. Overall, its a fun car if you have the money needed to maintain it."

The SVX offers more smiles per gallon

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Fun fun fun. fast, fun and fun. Comfy tourer"

Cons: "No built-in cup holders, no longer in production"

My fun car.

"I own a 94 black over white pearl LSi and a red 97 LSi. The LSi was the top of the line for this rare vehicle, with leather seats and sun roof standard. I bought both used and with 150K+ miles on them. They give more smiles per gallon than any car I have ever owned. They are a guaranteed head turner. Boy racers are always wanting to check it out at the stop lights. It's also fun to count the double takes on the freeway. The SVX was designed to be an all wheel drive high speed touring car. It is fast but not particularly quick because it is heavy. It is the most comfortable sports car I have driven with great handling and smooth ride. It is perfect for those long drives in the country, particularly if they involve a few tight turns. Gas mileage is outstanding. The 3.3L flat six easily achieves 22-25 mpg in town and 30+ mpg on the highway at speed. Speed for me is 75 mph and above. The SVX was technologically ahead of its time with speed sensitive steering, variable valve timing, automatic climate control and with manual and power modes for the drive-train. Now, we are talking about cars that are approaching 20 years old. They do require TLC. They will require parts from time to time. The local Subaru dealer has been great at tracking down some OEM parts, but there are very few new items remaining in the parts bins around the country. The SVX community maintains several forums for assistance in finding solutions to mechanical issues and parts. That is part of the fun of owning a rare exotic car. Examples of parts that I have needed for my cars are a radiator, rear wheel bearings, alternator, radiator cooling fan and original key fob. Nothing there is out of line for cars with 150,000+ miles. If you buy one in good shape, it will give you many miles of pleasurable driving. Just understand that as with any used car, things happen. With the SVX it could be expensive unless you do a lot of work yourself. Some mechanics won't even try because they are intimidated by the exotic looks and the fact that the engine is flat. The SVX is not that hard to work on if the mechanic is even part way competent. It's a motor, transmission and wheels. It just looks different. I love my SVX's and hope to drive them a long time."

My fun car.

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Subaru SVX near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for