2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,748 - $23,611.

10/6.8

Based on 200 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Go anywhere rain, snow or ice

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "Comfort and gas mileage"

Cons: "Non"

"Very comfortable on the freeway, gets 28-30 on the road, eats up snow! Better driver ergo than my new BMW X3."

Perfect car for Colorado

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "easy to drive"

Cons: "no backup camera"

"Not one problem with this Outback. I highly recommend it"

A good car!

By on Saturday, September 13, 2014

"I have had my Subaru for about 8 months. Overall I am very happy. The only real problem I found is the doors, especially the back door. It looks like it's closed, but isn't. This can cause the alarm to go off. When I took it to the dealership because of this, I was given a lesson in shutting it!!! Apparently two hands is best. What happens if you have groceries, or a dog, or both?? I have got better at closing the door, although now and again it happens."

Best car I ever had!

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "Best value, reliability, comfort, spaciousness"

Cons: "Gear shift could be better"

"I bought a 2014 Outback 2.5i Premium 6 speed a year ago, now I have little over 13000 miles on it. I can say this is the best car I have owned and for the money we paid, you cannot get anything with all the equipment it has for such a price. Subaru’s AWD system was a sell point, since I do not want any FWD cars anymore: I am sick of replacing boots and front axles. This Outback is extremely spacious, comfortable, and reliable. It handles very well on any terrain, snow or rain, sand or pavement. The finish and quality of the car is very good, I may not have ash wood like a luxury car, nor do I have Napa leather, but I did not pay three times what I paid to get them. Our next Outback – for my wife – will be a 2016 3.6R with all the goodies (Insight, power rear door, navigation, and sunroof). The mileage is ok, having into consideration I drive aggressively and fast, my revs climb to 5k – 6k quite often. I got on average 21.38 mpg for 13k miles. So far, no problems whatsoever with the car. Just oil changes, alignment and tire rotation. My dealer in Tysons Corner, VA is the best. Best price for the car and they have maintenance specials constantly, which save you money. I get a free car wash anytime I want. I can recommend this car to anybody who wants a nice ride. Not a sports car. This one, I shall have it forever, since they do not put a stick shift anymore in an Outback, it is a classic now…"

Reliability problems with the CVT

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

Pros: "Great in snow, good mpg, inexpensive"

Cons: "Unreliable CVT transmission, $$ maintainance"

"I loved this car. It's great in the snow, comfortable to drive, and a good value. That is, until the valve body in the CVT failed at 66k miles. The dealer and SOA have told me they have no interest in helping me out with the repair since I hadn't brought the car in to have the CVT fluid inspected at 30k or 60k. The manual only states it should be inspected at those intervals, and only recommends replacement under severe driving conditions. Fluid replacement costs ~$270 cause it's not really a DIY thing! I expect that kind of crazy maintainance requirement from a high performance sports car or a vehicle used for heavy duty work but not an every day driver/commuter car. I had been told the fluid was only supposed to require early replacement under severe driving conditions, but I don't drive in the city, don't live in the mountains, and have never towed or hauled anything with this car. Silly me for thinking I could maintain the car myself and replace the fluid around 70-80k like I have with all my previous Auto transmission vehicles. They should either update the owner manual to specify CVT fluid replacement at 30k even under normal driving conditions or they should admit that this failure is unusual and help me out with the repair since I'm only 6k miles out of warranty. Otherwise, they shouldn't be surprised when I say that I don't consider the CVT to be reliable and can't recommend this car to others. It's sad cause I have really loved the Subarus that I have owned in the past."

Laughs through the snow!

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "great winter car"

Cons: "air-conditioning could be better"

"While I see all kinds of cars and trucks slippin' and slidin', I'm plowing past them. It's amazing how winter-friendly this car is. Whenever anyone asks, it's what I tell them "laughs through the snow"."

Thought to be great but not so after owning

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Nice size, car like drive"

Cons: "steering is soft, lacks power, not too relaible"

"Too much hype about Subaru reliability and safety. Can't comment on safety since never been in an accident. As for reliability, I find this U.S. assembled vehicle lacks the fit and finish of those made in Japan. My vehicle was driving very erratically and actually stalled on me several times. All the lights on dash were flashing. The first dealer had no clue what was wrong, kept reprogramming my computer. Finally got a referral to a better dealer, it was the cam sensor that failed. Took 2 trips to this place to get a new one put in. Subaru's name seems bigger than the quality of cars they make. Will not buy another one. Or at least not one assembled here."

Awesome

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Excellant car in winter, snow especialy"

Cons: "Sand on roads in winter seems to be issue"

"Always owned Fords but bought a Outback and love love love it. Especially in the winter..."

OB CVT uphill on Snow and Ice = better than any MT

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "CVT mileage and uphill on snow performance"

Cons: "Cold air leaks into Driver foot well on -10 days"

"After putting 11K on a lightly used 2013 OB including one severe winter storm and many trips to the ski resort on a 2.5i Premium with CVT, I am glad I can downshift on the steering wheel mounted paddles...you don't need to be in manual to downshift or up shift either so you can use a hybrid approach to gear changes...the system takes 3-4 seconds to revert back to automatic after you have shifted with the paddles...most users don't know this...but you can down shift or up shift at any time in D...if you don't get why down shifting in an AWD is such a big deal you should try it with snow tires on icy roads...you can decelerate into and then immediately accelerate out of corners better on slippery surfaces than with the same tires on a manual transmission; because it finds the gear and engages the ground faster. Manual gear selection on a CVT isn't Fake, Its selecting pre calculated gear ratios that don't change when you return to them, 2nd is always second gear as far as the ratio and power application is concerned. Going uphill with a CVT in Auto on steep slippery terrain is a HUUUGE advantage over owning a MT, because you have hundreds of ratio's between 2nd and 3rd gears, when you push the peddle down on steeper grades the CVT maintains the power band automatically while ensuring the appropriate ratio...I pass bigger trucks and SUV's loaded with ski gear and people that have V8's who have to bounce back and forth between 2nd and 3rd gear on snowy steep roads all the time in the winter, and I do it in a lower HP 4 cylinder CVT wagon loaded with people and gear. I have also driven on Snowcat groomed roads between Park City and Brighton Estates on the guardsman's pass road (for snowmobile and 4WD access) on Stock Continental tires at normal inflation, and it never got stuck once, the whole time it displayed smooth power transfer to the snow with stopping and braking for switchbacks on the 2.5 mile snow pack covered road. MT users like to bash the CVT, but with a commuter vehicle on snow its very similar to the slip clutch on a snowmobile if you ever look at one...the power transfer also surges oddly similar but can be quite enjoyable in the power band when you know what to look for and when to punch the gas...E.G. 2nd-3rd gear roll on acceleration, it becomes punchy and feels slingshotty out of corners!!!"

Solid & Fun. The BEST Snow Car ever.

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

"If you live in the snow belt, the Outback is the best car you will ever have. Solid, reliable, drives like a dream. Interior and Comfort are not luxury, but not bad. I've gotten mileage greater than advertised on the sticker. My only dislike is summer driving, when I'd like to have something a little smaller / sportier."

beautiful, capable and versatile car

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "versatile, fun to drive, extremly comfortable"

Cons: "always wishing mileage were better; no blind spot"

"Bought 2014 Outback Limited Dec. 2013 and have 6200 mi. The leather seats are awesome....my first car with leather. Extremely supportive and comfy. Excellent driving position. I removed rear seat head restraints to improve visibility since Im the only one usually in the car. Mileage is pretty much as stated...without air conditioning on I average about 24 in town and 30 highway. The red color is gorgeous. Its a classy looking vehicle IMHO. The only issue Ive had is when the air conditioning is running the gauge that tells you your MPG goes down, down, down to about 12mpg but then when I fill up the actual mileage is down only about 2 mpg.....will have this gauge checked in Sept when I go in for regular service."

Great for outdoor and snow

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Excellent handling"

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better"

"Had this car for 2 years, test drove 3 others and the Outback was the best car for what I needed, I carry a lot of gear and do mountain biking as well as skiing. The car handles really well, feels very solid and safe, my wife drives during the week and she loves it. The only complaint is that the gas mileage is not so good, I get about 25 combined. I wish Subaru would make a Hybrid version of the Outback."

Performs Extremely Well - Reliable, Sure-footed

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Excellent value; ultimate traction & safety"

Cons: "Design is best for small to medium driver sizes"

"Terrific car for many reasons. Comfortable, convenient features and the most dependable car we've ever owned. Most importantly - it protected us when we were struck broadside by an enormous truck. During the collision, its responsiveness allowed me to avoid other cars and a rock wall while reducing speed. We finally hit a tree, but the crumple-zone absorbed most of the impact. We survived unharmed."

The front seats are very cramped

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

"Handles well - the front seats are very cramped and crowded"

Thought it would be a great, is even better

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Great - safe, dependable, efficient, comfortable"

Cons: "Smallish cup holders-fixed in 2015 model"

"My wife had been wanting an Outback for a long time, I was a little skeptical at first. Research found this to be a very well built, safe, dependable and efficient car. Subaru's parent company is a manufacturer of heavy duty construction/manufacturing equipment and the Subaru line definitely falls inline with their dedication to quality. We have had our 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited for over a year and absolutely love it. It is even better than we had expected. Great efficiency and very solid overall. I like to perform my own maintenance and have found it very easy to change the oil, filters, etc. Only downside we have found is that the cup-holders don't fit all large drinks (PowerAde, etc.). In looking at the 2015 models it looks like they have given the Outback larger cup holders. After seeing our experience, my parents purchased a 2014 Outback and one of my wife's clients have purchased one as well. You will not be disappointed with this vehicle."

Love my Subaru. Second Outback.

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Cons: "Speakers are not great."

"Handles well in bad weather. New England can throw us some humdinger weather. Economical fuel. Average highway 33 miles per gallon."

Comfortable, Safe, and Reliable

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pros: "Same as the title"

"I bought my 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6r Limited in January 2014. I found it to be extremely reliable, comfortable to drive, quiet, and most importantly very safe. On 20 June 2014 I was driving on Colorado Highway 96 when a pickup truck ran a stop sign. I t-boned the pickup at about 55mph. My business partner and I walked away with only bumps, bruises and some aches and pains. No broken bones, no stitches, no scars... I survived!"

A Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Excellent all the way around !"

"We first bought one for my wife, we liked it so much we bought a 2nd one for myself. Great car for the money, great quality, great milage."

Great Vehicle, Just too small for us

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, reliability, style. AWD!"

Cons: "lack of rear reading lights."

"This is our second Outback Ltd. We sold the 2012 because we put a lot of highway miles on cars. I shouldn't admit 85 mph all the way to New Mexico in Interstates, but we did, and with a 25.7 mpg average over 3,000 miles. The puddle lights were very convenient for the rattle snake areas where we stopped, like my father-in-laws yard. It is a very quiet and comfortable ride with both front and rear leg room comparable to larger vehicles. It is not small by any means. To us the only lacking interior features are no reading lights in the back, the front interior lights blind the driver if turned on at night, and there are no magazine holders behind the front seats. Driving it on winding country roads is reminiscent of my sports car days-this car drives great! The handling and braking are superb."

2011 Subaru Outback

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, capable, economical, quiet."

Cons: "Not a sports car, but no sport utility vehicle is."

Door open only to let the heat out before I got in to drive. Yes the AC works fine, but it takes a while to cool the vehicle after sitting in the day.

"I have one car to drive daily and live with for years. I chose the 2011 Subaru Outback Premium. After driving it for 4 years, here is my evaluation. Each category based on 10 point scale> Comfortable cruiser:10 -I could drive all day except windy days, when the vehicle gets pushed around by the wind. Fuel Economy:8 For All Wheel Drive -great, I average 29 MPG Exterior styling: 8 I don't like arches over the wheels, headlight assembly looks too busy, other wise is very good! Interior :7 -Uncomfortable seat fabic. light color not suitable for an SUV. Surfaces have a cheap feel. Reliability:10 It has never shown a hint of any kind of failure. Engine:8 -A little noisy at high RPMs, but it rarely gets there. At 65 MPH the engine turns only 2000 RPMs. CVT auto transmission:10 -The trans always select the right ratio and you never feel it shifting. All auto transmissions should be this good!! -Suspension:9 -durable but a little tippy during high speed turns. Instruments and controls:8 -Needs engine temp gauge, Radio a little complicated, traction control and parking brake release buttons not visible from driving position. -Cargo capacity:9 -I have hauled all kinds of bulky items."

Lots of cargo space but has serious under steer.

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Quiet and comfortable ride"

Cons: "dificult Steering. No emerg. brake."

"Quiet car with many features although some are very confusing and awkward to use. Climate controls are awkward to use. Difficult to steer requiring constant corrections. Emergency brake can only be used as a parking brake while the car is completely stopped - not an emergency brake in case of a complete electrical failure while driving causing total loss of steering. I love the down hill control which allows you to down shift and lock into any gear which allows you to avoid riding your brakes on long, steep, and winding mountain roads."

Subaru Outback Navigation System Problems

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "Drives Well off Road, Good Cargo Capacity"

Cons: "Technology is obsolete"

"Subaru Outback Navigation System Problems If you are purchasing a new Subaru Outback, DO NOT get the Navigation System. We purchased a brand new Subaru Outback in 2013. The vehicle itself is fine, it fits our needs and we haven’t had any issues. The navigation system, was a waste of at least an added $3,000. First, when we got our brand new 2013 Subaru Outback, the maps were already obsolete. The maps are from 2011. We are constantly experiencing issues where the highway exits have been reconfigured (Loop 410 & Loop 1604 in San Antonio), or new roads just don’t exist (Texas Toll Road 130 between San Antonio and Austin). Now, the military is moving us overseas, to Europe. We’ll be taking our new car, but now the navigation system will not just be inaccurate, it won’t work at all. Our local Subaru Dealer (we highly recommend - always very helpful & professional), tried to find the SD maps for Europe, but was unsuccessful. They researched for at least an hour, and finally spoke to two representatives of corporate Subaru in the US and discovered that the maps of Europe are unavailable in the states. They recommended that we try and find a Subaru dealership when we arrive in Europe - rendering our $3,000+ navigation system worthless, as we serve America’s military. I’m contacting corporate Subaru, and will post an update."

Excellent vehicle, one shortcoming.

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pros: "Get your money's worth."

Cons: "Interior cloth seats stain easily."

"The cloth seats (light tan) stain easily. Next time will upgrade to better interior. Great in snow, good gas mileage (when you consider the All Wheel Drive) and the car holds it's value. Hard to find a used Subaru from a private party since most trade for another."

Cold-weather flaw

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "Overall very reliable"

Cons: "footwell heater is terrible"

"This is my second Subaru - the first was a 1991 Legacy sedan that was extremely reliable for the 17 years I owned and drove it. My "concern" with the 2011 Outback is the extremely poorly-designed and operating heater/vent directed to the footwell on the driver and passenger sides. The outlet is located up at knee level and BARELY has any perceptible force of heated air when turned on full blast. The dealer's answer? . . . "Wear warmer winter boots". It may sound petty, but living in an area with a common -30 degree winter temperatures, I have come to expect a heater that is capable of providing warmth, and this vehicle's footwell heating vent certainly does not. It's enough of a gripe that I won't purchase another Subaru until they address this "problem"."

3rd outback wagon

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "simple reliable quality with excellent resale"

Cons: "no ash tray from the factory - yup, my only gripe"

"Outstanding if you want good, well designed, simple, reliable and comfortable transport. If fancy/flash and gadgetry are secondary to you, then there is absolutely nothing better. This is 3rd one. May well go for a 4th. I dont say this lightly after being a field engineer for another auto mfr for 20+ years."