2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,151 - $23,102.

10/6.8

Based on 218 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Make sure the Dealer fixes the Oil Consumption

By on Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pros: "Great space and Handling"

Cons: "The cup holders are in the way (I own a 6 speed)"

"I bought my Outback right off the show room floor for my birthday almost 2 years ago and I down right love it and I drive it everyday to and from work and the occasional road trip. About 2 months into owning my Outback the "quart low" oil light came on around 2700 miles. I brought it into the dealer the next day and they topped it off and told me the engine was still in it's "breaking in" phase and it may burn off a lil oil.They did the initial 3000 mile oil change and told me that, The Subaru Corporation wants their drivers to not take long sustained driving trips, which I though was hilarious because I drive to LA about 5 times a year. Around 5500 miles the same "Quart Low" light came on again. I brought it in and they simply topped it off and started and "Oil Consumption" test. At the 7500 mile make for the initial 1st Oil Change, all was fine they the notified me of no problems and I went on my way. Around 11,000 miles the light came on again and they did the oil consumption test again and topped off the oil again. I drove to LA later on and around 13,000 the dang light came on again for a few hours and I eventually brought it into a Southern California dealer and they wanted to try to charge me to top off the oil.(They charged my service dealer) At 15,000 they did the next oil changed and if anything else happened they would do their 1st "resolution" to combat the oil consumption. Around 16,700 miles the light once again came on and I brought it in and they replaced the piston rings. All was fine until the next oil change...or so I thought. At 21,000 the light came on again and of course by this point, I am very frustrated with everything. The dealer had to replace the lower half of the engine block! I have done one oil change at 24,000 at the dealer as my own choice and I am at 30,000 and about to take it in for its next service with no issues. All in all, my service was very helpful and understanding and of course they gave me a loaner car each time I had to bring it in. I have always wanted a Subaru and I would've hated it I had go under the "Lemon Law" act to fix it or worse, buy another brand."

ok

By on Monday, December 22, 2014

Pros: "awd"

Cons: "engine"

"4 trips to service with noisy engine and still not fix"

My 1st Subaru, certainly not the last!

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, relaxing"

Cons: "Blind spots in rear view mirrors"

"This vehicle does better on wet/snow/ice roads than any I have ever owned. Changing lanes on an interstate in snow is not a gut wrenching experience. Excellent handling in all adverse conditions."

Great quality and value for the price

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "Amazing gas mileage, smooth drive"

Cons: "HD radio does not always work great."

"I was a little skeptical buying a Subaru since I have never owned one and ended up at a Subaru dealership from a recommendation from a friend who had family that worked there. I had not done my research like I usually like to do but somehow still ended up buying this car. Best decision I have made. I get AMAZING gas mileage, drives well and I have been nothing but happy since I bought this. HD Radio is a little finicky at times and I do wish it was a little bit bigger for my growing family but both of those are pretty minor complaints. I do wish Subaru made a larger SUV since I seeing myself needing something larger in a few years but maybe by then they will have something like that. I have a very large car seat in the middle of the back seat and 2 adults can still sit comfortably beside it if needed. I see this Subaru lasting a very long time and even my husband who is very picky really loves driving it."

Great Car.

By on Friday, December 05, 2014

Pros: "Rugged and reliable!"

Cons: "Cup holders."

"Super reliable. Never had a problem. Love how much I can stuff inside this car and it actually seems to love hills, snow and back/dirt roads. Super reliable heated seats. Starts without a hitch in zero temps. Great AC too for summer months. Awesome sun roof. Great for sporty types who want a good looking car but also want to stuff it with gear. Came with two sets of mats, rubber (washable) and rug like. Could use better center-console cup holders, they are hard to access when driving and the sound system is good but not great."

Exceeds expectations in all categories

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "See complete review above"

Cons: "See complete review above"

"Attractive vehicle to look at; like it better than the 2015s. Exceeded EPA estimates of city/highway mileage of 22/29-was able to get 24/32 using synthetic oil. Very roomy interior and cargo capacity is enormous especially with rear seats folded down. Worst feature is the ride is somewhat soft and floating, but easy enough to become accustomed to. Heated seats are wonderful in the cold weather or if you have lower back issues."

Solid and reliable

By on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pros: "Little or no additional costs to operate"

Cons: "2.5 L engine could use more acceleration."

"Had this car for almost 3 years. Plan on keeping it for at least another 5 years. 2 gripes. Wish I had gone with the 6 cyl for more power and driver convenience space around shifter could be increased for placement of wallet, phone etc. Still would highly recommend to anyone."

Love my Outback!

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

"We just traded in 2 Toyota's, after owning Toyota's for over 30 years, to get the Outback. We LOVE this car. I feel like Toyota's quality has been declining over the past few years and we finally decided to make the switch. My husband had leased an Outback on a trip last year and was determined that was going to be our next car. I can't tell you how many recall notices I've received the past year or two on the Toyota's. Plus, the interior is far more impressive on the Outback than it was on either one of our other Toyota's. Looking forward to driving this car for a long time!"

a very good vehicle

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "handling, ride, all wheel drive"

Cons: "rear visibility, uncomfortable drivers seat,"

"I purchased this vehicle because i wanted an American made car. I was looking at a Chevrolet Equinox and the Subaru. I knew the Subaru was made in the USA. but to my surprise, the Chevrolet was not. Frankly, it was the best decision i could have made. I was not particularly impressed with the new style as i liked the more conservative look of the 2009 but I did buy it. The only complaint i have is that the power seat does not go straight up, it goes up and forward which brings me too close to the steering wheel, but i like to sit high, also, rear visibly is not really that good. But, the car is a pleasure to drive. I have never tired of it. I feel very secure in it and it handles well in all kinds of weather. I am contemplating trading it in and am not even going to look at another model. I will buy another outback. But one with rear view cameras and rear view warning monitors. I consistently get 33+ mpg on the highway. Whats not to like."

Very reliable, functional, good looking.

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "Great price & options."

Cons: "Power seat passenger cannot elevate."

"This in my 3rd Outback. I have had them all. Jeep Grand Cherokee, Acura MDX, Ford Explorer and Chevy Blazer. This "little" car beats them all in performance, gas mileage, and COST. Well designed. I had the 3.6 L engine. Excellent pick up and power. I did pull a trailer ( about 3000 lbs without any difficulty. Would definitely recommend it."