2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,612 - $22,547.

10/6.8

Based on 231 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

An able and reliable vehicle.

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"I've owned over 30 cars in my lifetime, including several Mercedes and Jaguars. This is my first Subaru, and it does not compare unfavorably to those, or other high-end vehicles I've driven over the years. Overall, I quite like the car. It is solid, smooth and surprisingly powerful with the six cylinder, though I also drove the four cylinder and did not find it wanting. The AWD andtraction and stability control systems give the driver a impression the car is very sure-footed even in slippery conditions. Mileage somewhat exceeds EPA estimates both in city and highway driving. It produces little interior noise even at speeds well in excess of the maximum posted limits, and achieves those speeds effortlessly. It is equally at home on rough roads, producing a rattle-free ride that's mercifully forgiving in the kidney trauma department. The Harmon-Kardon sound system is quite good, and the Bluetooth interface is easy to program and operate. The rear view camera is handier than I had expected, though all-around visibility is quite good without it. I've very few complaints, none of which would deter me from buying another Outback, but they are as follows: The length of the front seat cushion is a bit too short to provide adequate thigh support if you are quite tall, but I am 6"6" and that is not an infrequent problem for me. The fuel economy gauge is not useful, and occupies space better devoted to more critical gauges like oil pressure and coolant temperature, which are sadly absent. I think I know that when I put my foot on the accelerator fuel consumption increases, and I resent a car trying to re-educate me about my driving habits nearly as much as I resent the government trying to re-educate me about my living habits. The day/night mirror automatically returns to the on position every time you restart the vehicle. Some drivers, including me, find the dimming effect of such mirrors distort distance, and prefer to have them turned off. It is annoying to have to search for the switch every time you start the car. There should be an auto-sensing setting on the windshield wipers. This is a $32,000 car. One should not have to adjust wiper speed manually every time the rain gets lighter or heavier. Paddle shifters? Seriously? The Outback handles quite well for a fairly tall SUV, benefiting from the lower center of gravity afforded by its horizontally-opposed engine, but only a lunatic would think of banging it through the gears on autocross. Maybe paddle shifters are helpful to those living in Maine, or Wyoming in the winter, where manual gear selection helps achieve and maintain traction. Maybe those who live in the Rockies prefer to downshift rather than brake on steep hills. But I'll guess most drivers will not have much occasion to use this option."

Love it! Love it! Love it! Subaru for LIFE!!

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"Love it! Love it! Love it! Subaru for LIFE!!"

I love my Subie!

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "AWD, Gas, fun to drive!"

"I have done my research on several vehicles before I purchased my Subaru Outback 3.6r. I wanted something that was safe with great gas mileage and could go off-road. I researched for over a year and came to a choice of the forester or the outback without the navigation system since it was poorly done my Garmin works better than their system and saves me 2,000 dollars. I wish Subaru had more of a selection for black interior with the color of the car. I would also like to see Subaru bring a diesel engine to the United States. I haven’t had any problems with the steering vibrations like some post state. I have had my subie for a year and love it and can’t wait to try it in the snow. I had a Honda civic before my Subaru and was very limited I also had a Jeep Wrangler but that limited me to room in the vehicle and traveling with comfort and not great on gas. But it got the job done. The Subaru has tons of room the first day I had it I crammed all my horse stuff in the back and laid the back seat down and added more room. I would like to see Subaru add a bigger sunroof to the outback model since they do it with the forester. I am extremely happy with my purchase on this car and will not get anything else other than an outback ever again. I am a Subaru fan for life! I can’t wait till I can be one of the people who have 200,000 miles on their Subaru."

Very good vehicle for the price

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "economical and reailable"

Cons: "lack of power (quick acceleration)"

"I have a 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium M/T; purchased this vehicle in FL and took it to Central America. I was looking for an all wheel drive that didn't break the bank and didn't draw a lot of attention. I've had the vehicle for 34 months and have traveled throughout Central America on good and bad roads and the vehicle has performed incredibly. I'm getting on avg 24 miles per gallon/combined driving. It's very comfortable for a family of 4 and has ample room for bags in the back. The one draw back is the lack of a quick acceleration; but what can you expect for a 4 banger. I change the oil every 3 1/2 months and the engine sounds very smooth. Other than changing oil and break fluid, and rotating tires, I haven't had any issues with the car. It's reliable and I would not hesitate to travel anywhere with it."

LOVE this car!

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, safe for the family"

Cons: "I do wish it had better gas mileage"

"I do a lot of driving in all types of traffic and on all types of roads. This car can handle anything and it tows our boat with ease. LOVE IT! LOVE IT!, LOVE IT!"