2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,276 - $22,189.

10/6.8

Based on 218 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

3.6R limited: singularly the worst navi ever!

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Audio system, fun to drive."

Cons: "Horrible navi, bad mileage, clunky"

"I seriously think that the sorry excuse of a unit Subaru has the gall to call navigation unit is peddled with the rear-view camera because no one will buy this horrendous feature without it. I have GPS units one twentieth the price that are more useful, predictable, give traffic information, does better navigation (i.e., doesn't route me through horrible traffic when an obvious better alternative exists), and has better features (E.g., breadcrumbs feature, ability to use terrain maps as an input SD card) than this one. And don't even get me started about touch screen features on this one. The points of interest are a bit of a joke (not updated since the BC era), and saving a memory point or an address etc. gives me a headache. I need to talk to the engineer who designed this. Pronto. The only nice thing I can say about this navi is that the voice for the navigation is excellent. I used to be very averse to my GPS talking to me. Not so with this one. It sounds crisp and well integrated with the audio, and very timely alerts, and useful screen. Apart from my main peeve which I detailed above, I do have some misgivings about the stated mpg--don't believe it. My previous car, a Honda--was listed at 32mpg highway and 25 mpg on city, and it regularly gave me 35 mpg until I sold it (more than a decade old car). I am not satisfied with the mileage (only managed about 19mpg so far, and I am no speed demon). I do have about 1/3 city driving and the rest on highway. I like manual mode, but I don't think I like paddle shifters--but I am still trying to get used to them. I am a big fan of the older Subarus--the post 2009 Subaru Outbacks are too bulky, SUV looking for my liking, so I give this car no points for looks. I think the other default settings that warrant some attention are (a) sensitivity of the "auto" headlight feature--turns on the headlights/dims the navi even when passing a 50-ft tunnel at 75mph and (b) The default EQ settings for the audio are horrendously bassy, but I can't expect audiophile quality inside a car. The car in general is a clunky feeling car. Despite being a very expensive car, this car does not have much refinement; refinement I can expect in a car half the price (try the newer Civics). There are items I took for granted on an older, cheaper car that I cannot take for granted on this Subaru--an simple button for tripmeter reset, for example, instead of a prong that does the same on the Subaru. A requested service code (try these on for size on the newer Hondas) on the display rather than nothing on the Subaru! On the plus side, I find the Subaru quite a treat to drive. The interior is certainly luxurious feeling, and the audio system is quite nice. The audio wrt iPod is just incredible, and I quite like being able to control the iPod from the steering wheel. For those of you hoping to move your entire music to your iPod with your new Subaru, I heartily recommend you to do so! And yes, the car charges your iPod while connected. Double treat! The car is very comfortable while driving, and I find the other usual controls easy to access and control. We bought it mostly for the safety features. The electrical parking brake took me a few weeks to get used to, and I still hit the wrong button, but I like it."

3rd Subaru

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "This car is all pro's"

"This care saved us from serious injuries. We were hit broad side by a red light runner and this car saved us. Well built and air bag protected inside. I always recommend this car to anyone I talk to."

love this outback

By on Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pros: "style, convenience, capacity"

Cons: "limited size for families."

"love the outback. fits our lifestyle--two kids dog bike/camping/hiking gear. absolutely love everything about how easy the outback is. I had a grand cherokee before and it was just too big. Get all the same carry capacity out of my outback in a smaller, more convenient package. We are going to have to trade as we have a 3rd on way which makes me very sad. I would love to keep this car forever but it just isn't big enough if we have to have another car seat. I wish subaru made something with third seat (other than the terrible Tribeca--expensive and no cargo room)."

LOVE IT!

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "power, AWD, Great price for all the features"

"This care meets my EVERY need! I couldn't ask for more. It drives well in rain and snow! The power is amazing for the bigger body style!"

2010 Outback 2.5i CVT 2 Year Ownership Review

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "Price, Ride, Handling and Gas Mileage!"

Cons: "CVT felt funny at 1st. A little too long to park."

"Have had the Outback Limited 2.5i CVT for 2 years. It has been a really reliable car. Very good driving experience in heavy rain and mud. It handles corners well for its size due to lower center of gravity and AWD. Very solidly built. The fit and finish of this car is very good. So far no rattling. The gas mileage is exceptional, 30 mpg avg on reg. unleaded. I had a Lexus RX before this. I do not miss it since the Outback has almost everything the RX had minus the price tag and low gas mileage! The car did receive several recalls but only one required fixing. I had some steering wheel vibration in the beginning. Around the 4th time, they finally got it fixed. I don't know what the dealer did but I am happy that it does not vibrate at freeway speed. With high tensil steel, the door panels are thinner and unforunately ding easily. I have to be careful parking it far away from other cars in the parking lot. I have had many compliments from friends, they all think that it is a good looking car and very comfortable to ride in. I hope to keep it for at least 200k miles."